Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 20-09-2006, 06:55 PM   #1
red_hotxr6
Banned

Default Work done on your car?

I would like to know how many people here who have had work done on their car, ie headwork, camshaft fitted, gearbox repairs, radiator or any associated work, have you been asked by your mechanic to pay some or 2/3rds of the money up front before they start doing the work.?

red_hotxr6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-09-2006, 07:01 PM   #2
XRchic
Hello

That sounds strange! Ive only ever had such things done by Ford under warranty or done by places doing some mods (not repairs) and I paid for them up front.

I think you will find that most dealers do not ask for money up front...

: Cobra :
XRchic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-09-2006, 10:28 PM   #3
RSgerry
Well hello Mr Fancypants

I have had a lot of work done to my car and never been asked for a cent up front. Some of that work has been done by guys who I have spent a lot with in the past, but not everyone. I dont like the sound of it. Go somewhere else.
RSgerry is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-09-2006, 10:42 PM   #4
ROOSTA
DFDFDF

Depends really i often just pay some of it up front as a good gesture.. After a while they will realise you are going to do the right thing..

Chances are some one in the past has done the wrong thing by the guys you spoke too.. either he bargained them down after work was complete or didn't pay in full.. or changed mind bout wat was getting done..

Unfortunately bad experiences like this make the business examine the way it operates and certain changes made..

If their work is good and they don't seem too dodge then why not.. you are going to pay the same amount either way.. just make sure you get a receipt as proof of deposit..

Cheers,
Nik
ROOSTA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-09-2006, 10:47 PM   #5
fiery
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I have never been asked to pay for anything upfront but have always asked for a rough estimate so I know what I might be up for.

I have an awesome mechanic that I take my car to when there are things needed to be done that either I can't do or a friend can't.. He is at Logan Village and he is one of the mechanics that you know you can trust 100% to not only do the work completely and correctly but without over charging you also..

If they ask for money upfront, I would walk away from them personally... Unless it was some sort of major upfront cost to them on parts or something incredible like that, then there is no reason for them to ask for money till the job is completed.
fiery is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-09-2006, 10:47 PM   #6
b2tf
not here much anymore

Only time I hand over money for work done is when I receive an itemised invoice including a price breakdown.

There are probably about 3 places that I dont ask for that because I trust the people there, and they are the only places my car goes for servicing etc.
Old 20-09-2006, 10:50 PM   #7
NA XR6
!!

Never had to pay up front mate
NA XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-09-2006, 10:52 PM   #8
Dezza
Parts bin special

I've never been asked for money up front, and I get most of the maintenance done for me. When I had the head gasket done, they even gave me a loan car!

Daily 2014 SZII Territory diesel - basic runabout

Previous Cars 1990 EAII Fairmont Ghia - Tickford engine, 5 speed, SVO wheels, bodykit, much more
2000 AUII Fairmont - XR wheels, Ghia interior
2010 FG XR50T ute - XR8 bonnet, Streetfighter intake
Dezza is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-09-2006, 11:41 PM   #9
efI_Fairmont

Quote:
Originally Posted by b2tf
Only time I hand over money for work done is when I receive an itemised invoice including a price breakdown.
Absolutely right, I would only pay after looking at an itemised invoice. I always get my mechanic to give me an initial quote, then contact me if that price is going to change dramatically (ie more the say $100) to let me decide to go ahead or not.

Can't see why they would ask for money up front, but maybe due to previous bad experiences they have had.

Personally, i'd go elsewhere unless you have been happy with their work and ethics in the past.
efI_Fairmont is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-09-2006, 12:30 AM   #10
XR6TickfordBoy
Now XR8TickfordBoy

Your not buying drugs or anything, they're gonna have your car as collateral. Sounds to me like they're broke and need every cent or they wont be able to do it. If that was the case they'd prob do a S**T job anyway. I wouldn't deal with any business that doesn't trust their customers, poor customer service!
EF XR8- Respray in Monza Red with Clear Coat, Custom Rear Bar, AU V8, EL GT MAF, Rebuilt and Strengthened Auto with Stage 2 Shift Kit, 2,500RPM Stallie and tranny cooler, Rebuilt Diff with 4.11 Gears, Custom Radiator, King Ultra Lows, Pedders Shocks, NL Concorde Rims.
XR6TickfordBoy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-09-2006, 12:34 AM   #11
70caprigt3k
Nitrous Junkie

I have not been asked for money upfront yet and ive had some pretty expensive jobs done.
Old 21-09-2006, 08:30 AM   #12
coyote
Paint Repairs Spoilers

Likewise, if the company can't afford to get the parts in (considering most would be purchased on account anyway) I would not deal with them.
Old 21-09-2006, 12:34 PM   #13
red_hotxr6
Banned

Yeah just as i thought, hubby is having some work done on his engine,they have pulled it down, told him it is going to cost $1200.00, but they want $1000.00 up front in cash.He goes to them and they say its going to need extra parts, bridges,harmonic balancer,etc when he asks how much the parts are going to cost the father and daughter team go ballistic,"you can take your f....ing car now and pay us for what we have done". I really wish i could put their buissness up so every one knows who to avoid or be careful about. I couldnt believe it, dont 99% of the people ask how much something costs.?
You guys are lucky you are down south i tell you.
red_hotxr6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-09-2006, 08:39 PM   #14
Falchoon

I got some work done by Nizpro on my XR6T a few months ago and they wanted a $1000 deposit.
Falchoon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-09-2006, 08:42 PM   #15
BPXR6T
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Not personally. But a friend handed over $10,000 up front to have a tough 202 built. It didn't work out and we had to resolve the issue in a less than civilised manner.
BPXR6T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-09-2006, 08:53 PM   #16
ronwest
All Bran = Regular Member

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

I don't think it's unusual for a "deposit" to be paid if parts are being ordered in prior to you leaving your car with the mechanic.

It would be most unusual if a "deposit" was to be paid once they have your car in their possession.
ronwest is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-09-2006, 08:55 PM   #17
brenx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Depends on the job. If it's a $1000 job I see no reason for a deposit being left. I've been burnt by companies telling me blah blah will take 4 weeks cost this much, we need this much deposit. As soon as they get the deposit no works gets done and the car sits. Which is complete BS. It's their way of locking you in.

I had a quite a few thousand in parts and machining done last year on the XB. Never had to leave a deposit at all. I work this way now. If they need a deposit? They generally aren't worth using. No deposit guarantee's your cars in and out quickly.

There will be some cirumstances where a deposit will need to be left but I don't see this situation as one. I see them locking you in then hitting you up for bits you don't need. I've had a Ford dealer do that to me. Brand new head? My backside! I marked the old one ;) Still didn't get anywhere though. Just never took the car back. Oddly enough the car ceased braking down after I started servicing it myself.

Tuned by Hallam Performance
brenx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-09-2006, 09:00 PM   #18
hoppo366

A mate of dad's who's a rod builder, which dad does brakes and steering machining for mods like holden stud pattern's on ford brakes and steering shafts to fit sigma steering boxes etc. My dad's mate asks to be paid up front for most of his work, but he's got a good rep and people accept that if they don't like his terms they just go somewhere else. The main idea behind this is that he's had trouble in the past of people not being able to cough up at the end of a job, so now he just works on project until the money runs out, ie if someone gives him $5000 he'll do $5000 worth of work, then stop until more money comes.

But what that guy and his daughter is doing is just not on, no way a up front payment system can work if he opperates like that and is being unreasonable and dishonest.