Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 23-01-2011, 11:33 PM   #331
Falc'man
You dig, we stick!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilliman
I like your thinking

He's given the game away
Old 23-01-2011, 11:39 PM   #332
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPV GTHO
Hmm, Ford claim FG was 90% new anyway. What aspects does a vehicle like that still remain viable but a switch in platform doesnt?
There's a difference between 90% changed and 90% new...
It's the bits that changed but weren't new that are the expensive ones,
stuff like power train and electricals, suspension was mostly carry over or
variation of Territory's existing set up.

Quote:
FoA's issue as i see it is recouping development costs. If it was a global product or one at least funded globally, we would only have to recoup costs of local production and not local development.
On a six year product cycle, the cost of a $600million development is $100 million/year,
divide that by 40,000 sedans and Utes and it's over $2,500 a car for own design.
Now that difference is dependent on the new global car having no local development costs
which is highly unlikely and also the $200 million odd for closing down Geelong engine....

Falcon engine is dirt cheap to source compared to the price of FNA's fully built D35....

Last edited by jpd80; 23-01-2011 at 11:46 PM.
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-01-2011, 11:42 PM   #333
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falc'man
He's given the game away
That doesn't explain the two own designs FoA is showing Mays in February.
So long as Holden still think we're going FWD, all is good.
Old 23-01-2011, 11:49 PM   #334
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80
That doesn't explain the two own designs FoA is showing Mays in February.
Makes perfect sense to me at least..??

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-01-2011, 10:12 AM   #335
bobthebilda
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80
I don't buy it, not for one minute.
Those very same sales expectations in 2006 also had a huge helping of XT fleet sales,
Falcon also had E-Gas powering along in Sedan and Ute securing around 20-25% of sales
and Territory was barely a couple of years old and still to get the ZF 6-speed auto.
There are very good reasons why Falcon, Ute sales are down, all to do with LPG

Fast forward to 2011:
1) Very shortly we are getting a very fresh Territory with ZF across the board
and a diesel option that set to double Territory sales ... now that's good news.

2) LI LPG falcon engine and Ecoboost I-4 arrive later this year and yes, these
engines will give Falcon Sedan and Ute a real shot in the arm as far as sales go.

3) A couple of years ago, FoA chopped 600 people from the workforce making
the production of Falcon, Ute and Territory super efficient compared to 2006.

With regards a change in platform:
1)Why are we not switching to Taurus, Explorer and next Mondeo inside the next two years?

2) Why are they letting FoA make their own business case with own design future vehicles?

Do not count out Ford Australia, I think you might be very surprised to know
just how costly it would be for them to change from evolving another Falcon
to tearing up supply contracts and adopting Ford's global FWD/AWD vehicles.

Keep the faith.

All you have managed to do is transfer all the optimism from 2006 to now. Unfortunately sometimes potential sales dont always transfer to actual sales.

Quote:
JPD On a six year product cycle, the cost of a $600million development is $100 million/year,
divide that by 40,000 sedans and Utes and it's over $2,500 a car for own design.
This is not the correct way to look at it. The 600 million in development costs is normally spent up front. If you borrow it at 10%, then after the first year it has cost you 660 million. So after 6 years, your 600 million would have cost you over one billion dollars, or on the other side by not investing that 600 million in the bank, you have lost interest. Thus at 40,000 units a year, the development costs into a car could be nearly double your prediction.

Compare this to a "world car", that gets pumped out at 400,000 units a year with the same development costs, and these costs are reduced to roughly $1600 per car.

Simple fact is, until they can pump out 200,000 Falcons a year, and maybe 100,000 territories a year, they will never be competitive with the rest of the world and their future will always be called into question.
bobthebilda is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-01-2011, 01:03 PM   #336
FPV GTHO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Sharing his knowledge of performance exhaust setups for the NA 6 cyc Barra Falcon from BA to FG. 

Ford doesnt have to pay up front with a loan. Territory as an example was funded by Ford Global. Ford are unlikely to charge their own divisions interest.
FPV GTHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-01-2011, 02:00 PM   #337
Joe5619
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPV GTHO
Ford doesnt have to pay up front with a loan. Territory as an example was funded by Ford Global. Ford are unlikely to charge their own divisions interest.
I can tell you right now that is wrong!!! Well, in case of the compnay I work for away.. Our US head office charged us interest..And why won't they, if the US parent company had that money in the bank they would be owning interest which they are missing out on by leading Australia the money.
Joe5619 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-01-2011, 02:14 PM   #338
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Ford Australia does have the benefit of a $900 Million revolving loan from Ford Motor Company, whether the term 'revolving' means they don't pay interest I don't know and I'm not sure if that 900 mill is for product development or company-wide running costs.

From what I can gather, money is not loaned to FoA per se, funds for product development are allocated in Ford's global product development budget as it is after all one company. This is why the regional outposts have to make submissions to HO in Detroit for future product so they will agree to allocate the funds. Kind of like government departments making budget submissions to Treasury for funding to be allocated for XYZ project. It's not loaned to that Department for payback later, its capital expenditure.

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Old 24-01-2011, 05:36 PM   #339
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ford funds it's own projects, the business plan is submitted for approval
and the finance division allocates the cash for the project.

The design and development costs for FG commenced in 2004 and were submitted
for approval half way through in early 2006 and paid out on delivery in 2008.
Old 24-01-2011, 06:38 PM   #340
FalconXV
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

so the question now is, is that going to grind to a halt as part of the One Ford strategy and is Ford Oz going to be on a shorter lead for their own products?
FalconXV is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-01-2011, 06:55 PM   #341
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by FalconXV
so the question now is, is that going to grind to a halt as part of the One Ford strategy and is Ford Oz going to be on a shorter lead for their own products?
Where do you guys get this idea that FoA is a renegade outfit doing its own thing?
FoA has always been on a short lead, for the past 40 years, they have to assess
the suitability of existing global platforms before developing their own design and
when that's done they have to get the proposed platform and business plan approved
by head office. Nothing escapes the the chiefs at head office, every detail checked.
FG Falcon was the most heavily monitored development program ever....

With teleconferences every week two visits by the during development
that sort of thing was totally unheard of with past vehicle developments....
Old 24-01-2011, 07:23 PM   #342
bobthebilda
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It doesnt matter if Ford australia borrowed the money from an australian bank, if ford US borrowed it from a US bank and then forwarded it to australia, or Ford had surplus cash sitting in the bank earning interest. Money has a cost. That why sometimes you see companies with huge surpluses of cash, sometimes returning the money to shareholders via share buy backs or special dividends. Ford must compete with every other business in the world for shareholders funds (which they get by saying they are going to make certain profits), or they must get loans from a bank (which will accrue interest). Does anyone in the right mind think that shareholders will give Ford money if they wanted to make investments that didnt make money, or banks would lend money to them for the same sort of investments.

The leadership of Ford would have a decent percentage of their income linked to the financial performance of Ford. They are far enough removed from the average worker at Broadmeadows to ensure that many many many interests come before they worry about 30,000 purchasers (or assemblers) of Falcons each year.
bobthebilda is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-01-2011, 09:20 PM   #343
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobthebilda
Does anyone in the right mind think that shareholders will give Ford money if they wanted to make investments that didnt make money, or banks would lend money to them for the same sort of investments.
Bob, stockholders don't give Ford money anyway, the shares are bought and sold on the
open market and by the way, Ford stock hasn't paid a dividend in the past four years.
What traders are seeking is an increase in the stock price through speculation and
good monthly reports for the past two years or so - that's it.

The only money Ford owes to stock holders is in the form of profits returned after
Ford completes restructuring and pays down its debt - and the reason for that?
The Ford family owns a controlling voting interest through its special B class shares
that have never been diluted since the first float back in 1956.

Quote:
The leadership of Ford would have a decent percentage of their income linked to the financial performance of Ford. They are far enough removed from the average worker at Broadmeadows to ensure that many many many interests come before they worry about 30,000 purchasers (or assemblers) of Falcons each year.
Only the upper echelon gets anything like the bonuses you're thinking about,
most white collar workers haven't had a raise in the past four years but they do get some small bonuses....

Last edited by jpd80; 24-01-2011 at 09:37 PM.
Old 25-01-2011, 10:15 AM   #344
JPFS1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community. 

JPFS1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-01-2011, 10:24 AM   #345
Watto_Cobra
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Can't quite read the state on the plate.

I assume that's in USA?

Shame it's an XT
Daily: SZII - 56,000 km - converted to Tezza
Watto_Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-01-2011, 10:29 AM   #346
My poor XF
Geelong FC 07, 09 & 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watto_Cobra
Can't quite read the state on the plate.

I assume that's in USA?

Shame it's an XT
Looks to be Michigan. Could be wrong though.
Old 25-01-2011, 10:30 AM   #347
stang65
FPRJET

Looks like Michigan written on plate.
stang65 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-01-2011, 10:55 AM   #348
Watto_Cobra
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Good call gents, it does look like Michigan.

Can't make it out, is it left of right-hand drive?

I couldn't imagine it being LHD and maybe they don't require signage on the back stating "Caution: RHD vehicle"???
Daily: SZII - 56,000 km - converted to Tezza
Watto_Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-01-2011, 11:04 AM   #349
gokhan
Irregular Member

Definately looks like Michigan (offset to the left too). What's with the exhaust?

2005 BF XT - Lightning Strike

Mods and extras:
Scuff plate inserts | Front & rear bar chrome mouldings | Fairmont Ghia rear number plate surround | Chrome mirror scalps | Fairmont leather & woodgrain gear shifter | Fairmont grille | Ford alloy sports pedals | Custom cold air intake | Force boot lip
gokhan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-01-2011, 11:09 AM   #350
block58
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watto_Cobra
Good call gents, it does look like Michigan.

Can't make it out, is it left of right-hand drive?

I couldn't imagine it being LHD and maybe they don't require signage on the back stating "Caution: RHD vehicle"???
You can see the seatbelt on the right hand side being used and can kinda see a silhouette of a person. Weird exhaust it's got.
block58 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-01-2011, 11:09 AM   #351
My poor XF
Geelong FC 07, 09 & 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by gokhan
Definately looks like Michigan (offset to the left too). What's with the exhaust?
Looks weird, first thing I noticed about it.
Old 25-01-2011, 11:17 AM   #352
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Watermark that image ASAP before those goons from Caradvice take it.

Interesting exhaust. I'm betting its an Ecoboost validation mule.

Old 25-01-2011, 11:22 AM   #353
Ford_The_Win
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I saw that pic somewhere a few months ago, nothing new unfortunately.
Old 25-01-2011, 12:02 PM   #354
Bud Bud
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I don't mind the current Taurus but that FG on U.S. roads looks awesome! It is a pity that it just was not designed to have a home in the U.S. in the first place.

Bud Bud
Bud Bud is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-01-2011, 12:20 PM   #355
JPFS1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community. 

Ford The Win is correct... nothing new, it's from late 2010...
Old 25-01-2011, 12:31 PM   #356
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPFS1
Ford The Win is correct... nothing new, it's from late 2010...
This may be the case...however it raises the question in the context of this thread: what was it doing there?

Ford seem VERY keen to see how the I4 Ecoboost will work in a RWD application.

Old 25-01-2011, 01:19 PM   #357
JPFS1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Exactly why it's relevant to the thread... Of course it's nothing new to send cars over for evaluation, sign off, crash tests....the lists goes on, but you would expect that if the RWD falcon was about to be thrown off a cliff....you could ask... why?
Old 25-01-2011, 01:21 PM   #358
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Exactly.

My curiosity has also been triggered with FoA's supposed 2 vehicle submission for the global large car design comp. Is it:

FoA covering both bases with a FWD and RWD large car proposal (ie with only one winner); or

FoA making a 2 pronged attack on the segment with a FWD version for fleet and family variants and a RWD for sport and luxury variants (like Lincoln even though that idea seems to have gone quiet now).

Regardless of which one it is, the presence of a Taurus and Ford Fusions in and around Melbourne in 2010 is making much more sense now.

Last edited by Road_Warrior; 25-01-2011 at 01:32 PM.
Old 25-01-2011, 02:08 PM   #359
FalconXV
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I thought I read that the FG platform was LHD capable? I'm pretty sure the dash is symmetrical for that reason.
FalconXV is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-01-2011, 05:08 PM   #360
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPFS1
Exactly why it's relevant to the thread... Of course it's nothing new to send cars over for evaluation, sign off, crash tests....the lists goes on, but you would expect that if the RWD falcon was about to be thrown off a cliff....you could ask... why?
Exactly.
Why would Ford bother with significant upgrades and expenditure on the FG if it was a dead end platform?
Why wouldn't they just say, import RHD Taurusssesses if that was all they were ever intending...

Broady and Geelong still have a few tricks to play...