Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 20-04-2010, 09:34 PM   #451
Peuty
Afterburner + skids =
Donating Member1

So I finally tried Hoegaarden the other day. Absolute rubbish. I love wheat beers, but this was just swill.

Oo\===/oO
Peuty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-04-2010, 10:49 PM   #452
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peuty
So I finally tried Hoegaarden the other day. Absolute rubbish. I love wheat beers, but this was just swill.
Which wheat beers do you generally like?

As for Hoegaarden, you must have got a bad bottle...I reckon it's a nice beer, but just a fecking ripoff. 4.70 per 330ml bottle is a joke.

Like Corona, it has become metrosexual to be seen. I hate people who refer to it as a 'girly beer'. It isn't. It's a wheat beer. It is a legitimate beer that doesn't rely on an alcopop image to sell to those that know what it's about...

I would give Hoegaarden another go...perhaps buy it somewhere that has a higher turnover of stock if possible (in the off chance you shop at a comparatively low-turnover outlet).

Don't snap my undies.
uranium_death is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-04-2010, 12:25 AM   #453
Swordsman88
Getting it done.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by uranium_death

As for Hoegaarden, you must have got a bad bottle...I reckon it's a nice beer, but just a fecking ripoff. 4.70 per 330ml bottle is a joke.

Like Corona, it has become metrosexual to be seen. I hate people who refer to it as a 'girly beer'. It isn't. It's a wheat beer. It is a legitimate beer that doesn't rely on an alcopop image to sell to those that know what it's about...

I would give Hoegaarden another go...perhaps buy it somewhere that has a higher turnover of stock if possible (in the off chance you shop at a comparatively low-turnover outlet).
Turnover can be an issue. I use mostly my local First Choice (fair bit of turnover) but there is a smaller BWS nearby that i might go to on occasion. I drank a beer from their recently that was atcually one month out of date. Could of asked for another i suppose but it was a bit hard given it was two weeks later....

I dont' drink much wheat beer so that solves that problem. BUT, that shofferhoffer you recomended was well worth it. Best beer of that kind i've head in ages.

Now with:
Pacemaker 4499s
Lukey Catback Exhaust
Chrome BA XR-style tip
Airdam Mounted CAI with modified (bellmouth) airbox
Trip Computer install
KYB shocks
Bridgestone Adrenalin tyres

Coming Soon:
Exhaust Overhaul.....
Swordsman88 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-04-2010, 12:11 PM   #454
ubute
Back in Black

Hehe how are wheat beers different from 'girly beers'.

Last new beer I've tried was White Rabbit Dark Ale, mmmmm malty goodness...
Old 23-04-2010, 10:28 PM   #455
Peuty
Afterburner + skids =
Donating Member1

Quote:

I honestly couldn't tell you what brads I have had, but I do know I like "weiss bier".....I might give it one more shot like you said, but man, I almost couldn't finish the stuff.

Here's hoping that it was a one off.

Oo\===/oO
Old 23-04-2010, 11:29 PM   #456
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

I picked up some LaTrappe White or something, its only 5.5%, its their weakest beer I think, I got it for tomorrow
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-04-2010, 01:01 AM   #457
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

La Trappe Witte?

Don't snap my undies.
Old 29-04-2010, 04:48 PM   #458
lacara

This was in the Adelaide Advertiser yesterday, it is brewed by Brew Boys in Adelaide and seems to be available online www.brewboys.com.au

5.8% Alcohol
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-04-2010, 06:09 PM   #459
GS608
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by lacara

This was in the Adelaide Advertiser yesterday, it is brewed by Brew Boys in Adelaide and seems to be available online www.brewboys.com.au

5.8% Alcohol
shame it's 80 bucks a carton
GS608 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-04-2010, 08:01 PM   #460
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
La Trappe Witte?
Yep, its not bad.
Old 29-04-2010, 11:03 PM   #461
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Damo
Yep, its not bad.
Yeah, I've had it. I am not a giant fan, but I've only had it once. I probably should give it another go.
I prefer La Trappe Dubbel.

Don't snap my undies.
Old 30-04-2010, 09:35 PM   #462
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Yeah, I've had it. I am not a giant fan, but I've only had it once. I probably should give it another go.
I prefer La Trappe Dubbel.
I quite like the Blond one, thats pretty nice. Whats the Dubbel like?
Old 01-05-2010, 08:27 PM   #463
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Damo
I quite like the Blond one, thats pretty nice. Whats the Dubbel like?
Dubbel is a completely different style...way heavier but full of flavour.

The Blond is good though...it got me into Koeningshoeven.

Don't snap my undies.
Old 06-05-2010, 11:11 PM   #464
drew`SEVNT5
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Trying one from Matilda Bay that I hadn't seen before tonite....

Big Helga...

Label says 'Dry Munich Style Lager'.

Id agree with that.

Quite nice.

And the label has a nice sillhouette of a busty beer wench: always a winner

-2011 Nissan 370z Coupe (6M)-
-2006 Husqvarna SMRR450-
drew`SEVNT5 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-05-2010, 11:20 PM   #465
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew`SEVNT5
Trying one from Matilda Bay that I hadn't seen before tonite....

Big Helga...

Label says 'Dry Munich Style Lager'.

Id agree with that.

Quite nice.

And the label has a nice sillhouette of a busty beer wench: always a winner
I haven't had that one before, so I shall keep my eyes open for it.

Cheers!

Don't snap my undies.
Old 24-05-2010, 05:52 PM   #466
Swordsman88
Getting it done.....

hey guys....this thread has gone a bit quiet. Anyone tried the JS limited edition (for winter) Malt Runner? Just got my hands on a six pack. had my first one just now.

Prettygood but nothing revolutionary. Mostly expresso to start with then a deeper chocolate flavour comes out. Hard to pick up the cherry flavour (added cherry juice at the end of the ferment) but is there upon completion of the glass. Not as good as some other styles out there....am putting on a home brew of a fresh wort cerny pivo soon which based on a recent taste test from my supplier will beat this JS LE easy.

Recomend drink a bit warmer than usual to get more flavours. Seemed a bit wattery to me so far. Some guys are putting this down to the brewing at SAB adelaide (Lion nathan under licence) which is affecting other JS brews as well (golden ale esp, but also their amber and pilsener which are all at SAB).

Would love to hear the opinions of some other js beer aficianados on this issue also....

Now with:
Pacemaker 4499s
Lukey Catback Exhaust
Chrome BA XR-style tip
Trip Computer install
KYB shocks

Coming Soon:
Exhaust Overhaul.....
Old 24-05-2010, 06:35 PM   #467
TUF_302
The Vengeful One
Donating Member1

I actually tried a Miller the other night, and for an American beer it wasn't to bad, no Aussie beer though!
Old 24-05-2010, 06:44 PM   #468
Peuty
Afterburner + skids =
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swordsman88
hey guys....this thread has gone a bit quiet. Anyone tried the JS limited edition (for winter) Malt Runner? Just got my hands on a six pack. had my first one just now.

Prettygood but nothing revolutionary. Mostly expresso to start with then a deeper chocolate flavour comes out. Hard to pick up the cherry flavour (added cherry juice at the end of the ferment) but is there upon completion of the glass. Not as good as some other styles out there....am putting on a home brew of a fresh wort cerny pivo soon which based on a recent taste test from my supplier will beat this JS LE easy.

Recomend drink a bit warmer than usual to get more flavours. Seemed a bit wattery to me so far. Some guys are putting this down to the brewing at SAB adelaide (Lion nathan under licence) which is affecting other JS brews as well (golden ale esp, but also their amber and pilsener which are all at SAB).

Would love to hear the opinions of some other js beer aficianados on this issue also....
Funny that, I was just coming to this thread to post about the Malt Runner.

For me, I find it quite nice. I like the taste of darker beers and stouts, but I usually find them bit too much after a few sips. I think this is the perfect combo for me - not quite a stout, not quite a lager. Very tasty, I will be hunting a carton down for sure.

Oo\===/oO
Old 24-05-2010, 07:04 PM   #469
Swordsman88
Getting it done.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peuty
Funny that, I was just coming to this thread to post about the Malt Runner.

For me, I find it quite nice. I like the taste of darker beers and stouts, but I usually find them bit too much after a few sips. I think this is the perfect combo for me - not quite a stout, not quite a lager. Very tasty, I will be hunting a carton down for sure.
Don't get me wrong, its still very good beer. I like the dark styles too...but mostly dark ales, not dark lagers. Subtle difference to some but there is a difference. Maybe i was a bit too harsh on its lack of mouthfeel because of the volume of fresh wort craft stuff i've been working on lately. These ales were all very big on flavour and i just found the malt runner a bit 'flat'. The dark german style lager (as opposed to a more belgian style...which i'm told the malt runner is???) i samples recently was more impressive for mine. Barons Black Wattle Ale was the best dark beer i've had in recent times though....

I got my six pack from Vintage Cellars (indooroopilly). They told me they have cartons available (how many i dont' know). 1st choice toowong (my usual supplier) doesn't have it according to some mates i've spoken to. Check the JS website for locations.

PS. Anyone on here tried the very limited edition LC IPA?? I heard it was in pint bottles only but can't find anyone that has in Brisbane at all. Maybe its all run out by now anyway.....

Now with:
Pacemaker 4499s
Lukey Catback Exhaust
Chrome BA XR-style tip
Trip Computer install
KYB shocks

Coming Soon:
Exhaust Overhaul.....
Old 25-05-2010, 01:51 PM   #470
Peuty
Afterburner + skids =
Donating Member1

Malt Runner is limited to 9000 cartons Aus wide. I got my six pack from Dan Murphys, they had no cartons available, but they said they can order one in for me.

Oo\===/oO

Last edited by Peuty; 25-05-2010 at 01:52 PM. Reason: spulling
Old 25-05-2010, 02:44 PM   #471
Paxton
Cobblers!

Quote:

Like Peuty, I couldn't get a case, so I've got one on order. I tried it at their open day earlier in the month, and it wasn't bad. I'm not big on really dark ales (I can't drink their IPA), but the closest I've had it referred to is "Cherry Ripe in a Bottle". It was better than their 10Twenty ale that they had last year, but I still prefer their staples - Pilsner and Golden Ale.

I'll post my thoughts when I've had a chance to drink more than a Middy. Case should be in on Friday.
Roses are red. Violets are blue. OS X rocks. Homage to you.
Paxton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-05-2010, 03:43 PM   #472
Peuty
Afterburner + skids =
Donating Member1

Yeh I can't wait...especially with the cold weather that Brisbane has been having. Looking forward to drinking it sitting in front of a nice warm fire.

Oo\===/oO
Old 25-05-2010, 05:51 PM   #473
Swordsman88
Getting it done.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paxton
Like Peuty, I couldn't get a case, so I've got one on order. I tried it at their open day earlier in the month, and it wasn't bad. I'm not big on really dark ales (I can't drink their IPA), but the closest I've had it referred to is "Cherry Ripe in a Bottle". It was better than their 10Twenty ale that they had last year, but I still prefer their staples - Pilsner and Golden Ale.

I'll post my thoughts when I've had a chance to drink more than a Middy. Case should be in on Friday.
Would like to read your thoughts Andrew. I've had another and i am starting to come around to it. Cherry is definitely there but its subtle and mostly on the finish IMO. Could do alot worse...

Now with:
Pacemaker 4499s
Lukey Catback Exhaust
Chrome BA XR-style tip
Trip Computer install
KYB shocks

Coming Soon:
Exhaust Overhaul.....
Old 25-05-2010, 06:07 PM   #474
Peuty
Afterburner + skids =
Donating Member1

I agree, I'd hardly call it a cherry ripe in a bottle, however the cherry undertones are def. there

Oo\===/oO
Old 25-05-2010, 07:40 PM   #475
TZENU
XY Driv3r

Quote:
Originally Posted by lacara

5.8% Alcohol

Sick!!!! Gonna put my order in!!!!
Old 27-05-2010, 06:09 AM   #476
Swordsman88
Getting it done.....

Can any of the wheat beer aficianados on here explain the difference between a Schofferhoffer Kristallweizen and the Hefewiezen? Had the Kristall some time ago and liked it very much....best wheat beer i've ever had (not that i have had many). Had a Hefewiezen yesterday but based on my memory they seemed much the same baring a more prominent 'yeasty' flavour from the Hefe. More bitter finish too?? All i could find was some reference to the kristall being cleaner with less sediment (hence the crystal reference..)

Now with:
Pacemaker 4499s
Lukey Catback Exhaust
Chrome BA XR-style tip
Trip Computer install
KYB shocks

Coming Soon:
Exhaust Overhaul.....
Old 27-05-2010, 09:53 AM   #477
XR6_661
Cane Farmer

Moved on from dry fusions to Millers Chill now...not bad!

Also got myself a slab of 'Mythos' a while ago...Greek beer. Didn't mind it.

Oh and I had an interesting beer at dinner a week or two ago. 'Outback Chilli Beer' from the outback brewery...Was a tasty beer!

1994 ED XR6T - Cobalt Blue.

2009 FG XR6 - Black.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex
I couldn't give a crap how many are in their family, what gay passtimes they paticipate in, or whether they have a cat, dog or a freaken fish.

Keep your stinking family to yourself god damn it.
XR6_661 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-06-2010, 12:45 PM   #478
Peuty
Afterburner + skids =
Donating Member1

Tactical Nuclear Penguin

http://www.brewdog.com/blog-article.php?id=214

Watch the video.........god damn

Oo\===/oO
Old 08-06-2010, 12:58 PM   #479
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

There is 3 seasonal beer coming out for people that are interested.

http://www.theage.com.au/entertainme...0607-xq38.html

Quote:
New brews ahead of their time
WILLIE SIMPSON
June 8, 2010

THERE was a time when beer-marketing folk seemed to go into hibernation during winter. These days, they are likely to roll out a limited-edition seasonal brew or a special annual release.

Launched last month, Cascade 2010 First Harvest Ale is the ninth annual single-batch release, brewed with new-season Tasmanian malted barley and fresh, unkilned hop flowers. The challenge of using a different trio of experimental hop varieties has had mixed success and this year’s version is not a stand-out. Some of us crave the days when they used established hop strains such as cascade and willamette to give First Harvest Ale more recognisable character.

James Squire’s seasonal releases have similarly varied over the years, with the flavoursome Hop Thief brews and Strong Winter Ale perhaps the most memorable.

This year’s winter release is Malt Runner, a so-called bock of rather moderate alcohol and spiced with cocoa powder and cherry syrup. It works a little better than it sounds on paper. As the name suggests, the dominant maltiness keeps any over-the-top choc-cherry notes in check.

The just-released Moo Brew 2009 Vintage Imperial Stout seems to improve each year. This third edition spent nine months maturing in a combination of new oak and ex-wine casks, before a further three months of bottle conditioning.

A slightly more integrated palate is apparent but I’d give it another 12months in my fridge for a mellower result.
Only 1515 of the 330-millilitre bottles will be available, at a cost of $25 each.

Tasting notes

CASCADE 2010 FIRST HARVEST (5.5per cent) Deep copper-gold. Aroma: hints of toffee, allspice and stone fruit. Palate: caramel notes initially, alively bitterness with earthy undertones in mid-palate and hints of hop oil; finishes with medium bitterness. Overall: fairly straightforward.

JAMES SQUIRE MALT RUNNER (5.2per cent, pictured) Dark brown with chestnut highlights. Aroma: enticing Ovaltine and plum notes. Palate: caramel and cocoa notes up front, sweet cherry in mid-palate, rounded out with a roasty, dark chocolate-laced finish. Overall: adult version of Cherry Ripe without the sickly sweetness.

MOO BREW 2009 VINTAGE IMPERIAL STOUT (8.5per cent) Dark brown-black; dense, foamy head. Aroma: coffee, coconut, cocoa and caramel notes. Palate: espresso notes initially, intense burnt-toffee mid-palate with oily, toasted coconut notes and sharp tannic hints; finishes with a complex mix of treacle, coffee and tar. Overall: formidably complex but sure to mellow over time.

SOURCE: Epicure
Old 08-06-2010, 01:50 PM   #480
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Can any of the wheat beer aficianados on here explain the difference between a Schofferhoffer Kristallweizen and the Hefewiezen? Had the Kristall some time ago and liked it very much....best wheat beer i've ever had (not that i have had many). Had a Hefewiezen yesterday but based on my memory they seemed much the same baring a more prominent 'yeasty' flavour from the Hefe. More bitter finish too?? All i could find was some reference to the kristall being cleaner with less sediment (hence the crystal reference..)
Kristallweizen is the same beer with the sediment removed.
I personally prefer Hefeweizen because I love sediment. Helps to keep the flavour, plus I love cloud.

I also like a 'yeasty' flavour. It's all about personal preference.

If you like Schofferhofer, try 'Erdinger'. Another fantastic wheat beer.
I also recommend Grand Ridge 'Blonde' (no, none of that low-carb crap), which is a wheat beer with great citrus tones (my choice in summer), as well as Moo Brew's Wheat beer, which has a great banana finish on it.

Stay away from crap like Redback and all that...they're terrible.

Don't snap my undies.