Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 23-12-2009, 04:44 PM   #31
302 XC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

holden seem to hold their money more than fords on the 2hand market
because all the young wan*ers want holdens
proven fact
its worth more for u to ENJOY your money than have it sitting there tied up in a MAYBE (in a thousand years )
if u love your xr8 just leave it be
there was a vp ss cummadore advertised locally here for $700,it took 3 weeks to sell
the bloke who bought it treats it like a $700 car, cause thats wat he paid for it
302 XC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-12-2009, 05:59 PM   #32
Saraco

Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmo20btt
If you buying any thing to sit on till your retirement,it would need to have been made in small batches of about 500 or less, things like W427 or an FPV owned & signature d by a Super car driver, Cars like these are the only ones that will continue to appreciate. Others will continue to drop in price for a very long time before they will start to creep up in price, but there are bargains out there, so it pays to look. Personally I think the Monaro will go up in price, but it might be your grand kids that will see the fruit of your wait.
None of these new cars will be worth as much as the classics. No motorsport cred, i.e. they never raced in big time racing in standard or near standard form.
Saraco is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-12-2009, 06:03 PM   #33
BOSHOG
avenge me

in my opinion neither car will ever appreciate in value, but the monaro is depreciating slower. neither car is a good investment financially. but id be happy to drive either
Old 23-12-2009, 06:15 PM   #34
divine_afg
Extreme_Custom

What will Happen if Holden Introduces new Monaro ?

My money would be on TS 50 or Mustang
divine_afg is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-12-2009, 06:44 PM   #35
BOSHOG
avenge me

Quote:
Originally Posted by divine_afg
What will Happen if Holden Introduces new Monaro ?

My money would be on TS 50 or Mustang
i thought the next holden retro model was going to be a torana or maybe even a sandman panelvan
Old 23-12-2009, 06:54 PM   #36
GTP-03

I had the same delima about a year ago, but i was trading a BA GTP on a series 2 monaro with a sunroof.

The GTP was a much better car in everyway,especially the interior and suspension but i wanted a car that still looked good and wasnt as expensive to maintain. The thought of rebuilding the brembos was a scary proposition.

In the end i did trade it in, but on a Territory (I know from one extreme to another)
but I wouldnt hesitate trading in a xr8 on a Monaro, not because of the investment side of things (youll have to wait 40 years plus and keep it immaculate to make it a desirable investment)
but the Monaro is a nice car and goes pretty hard and looks good especially in black red blue or yellow especially if you lower it!
Old 23-12-2009, 06:54 PM   #37
Peter B - CV8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ok guys - from a Monaro owner.
They have not depreciated as quickly as similar aged 4 door Holden's & Fords - but aren't realistically in the collectible stakes (and probably won't ever will be). Don't buy one as an investment - but it for what it is, a 2 door coupe with a v8 motor.
Don't buy one if you have children that need to use the rear seat on a daily basis. The electric seat motors are very slow & even when fully "opened" , require some dexterity to get into & out of. You will tire of this very quickly.
Don't get a newer (late 04 model onwards) if you want to carry anything meaningful in the boot - as it is miniscule. Get an early '04 model (or earlier) if you want a fullsize boot (just this weekend I easily tucked 3 sets of golf clubs into mine).
Yes, they are a little bit special & I still get a grin on my face every time I drive mine (even after 5 years). That's why you buy a certain car..........
Peter B - CV8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-12-2009, 07:17 PM   #38
Saraco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan
What do you think pre-77 Monaros were then? They were basically 2 door Kingswoods mate.
With one BIG difference, the classic monaro was a true pillarless coupe,the new monaro is not! Basically a 2 door sedan. Also I will state again, HK-T and to a lesser extent HG MONARO'S have motorsport cred, MOST IMPORTANT, basically the most important aspect.
Old 23-12-2009, 07:32 PM   #39
magoo66
JAFO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brazen
Monaro would be worth more than an XR8 in the future, anyone who says otherwise has got their Ford blinkers on.

I wouldnt hesitate in getting a Monaro, best modern Aussie car design out there.
Not necessarily, Holden/HSV produce more special editions and limited models than Franklin Mint. If anyone thinks that they are a good investment, I've got some collectable plates that you might be interested in.
magoo66 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-12-2009, 10:51 PM   #40
hendrixhc
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If the xr8 is his dream car why would you bother getting rid of it unless the dream is over.

Why do all decisions these days got to be about investment. Buy a car, drive the rs off it, enjoy it. Keep it or sell it and buy another. Who cares about the money. Lifes to short.

My uncle scrimped and saved to buy a ferrari, paid the deposit and dropped dead a week later. Never actually got to own it.
1982 XE Falcon
1978 XCGS Falcon
1993 XG Ute
2015 FGX XR8
hendrixhc is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-12-2009, 11:17 PM   #41
gtxb67
moderator ford coupe club

the monaro would almost certainly be worth more in years to come, but is it really worth hanging onto a car that long for it to appreciate marginally
i paid $3250 for my coupe in 1987. my parents sold a house in 1987 for $80,000
my coupe is now insured for $35,000. the same house would be around $500,000 now
for sure you can look at it that the coupe has appreciated over 10 times and the house only 6+ times
in reality though the coupe has needed maintaining and needless upgrades that has cost much more than it's current value to keep in the same condition from 1987-2009
overall it has not made me money at all - and i would believe that in 22 years time you would be behind with both the xr8 and the monaro if money is all that interests you
gtxb67 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-12-2009, 11:19 PM   #42
Windsor220
Now Fordless

As for a rare car. Not really. We have a few on the yard at work at the moment and have had a few sold recently.
They're nice but nothing all that special. Better off getting one of the later ones with the VY/VZ interior. Even better a HSV version like a GTO or GTS.
Windsor220 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-12-2009, 11:23 PM   #43
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

I know this might strike a nerve with a few people but its my opinion. If your buying a car as an investment you shouldnt be buying it IMO. Cars are built to be driven and therefore that adds kms therefore reducing its worth, and then at the end it isnt worth as much as what it was but you got enjoyment out of owning it.
Old 23-12-2009, 11:31 PM   #44
The G6ET Spot
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Personally I would be looking at a BF Cobra before a Monaro if it was for an investment.

There were fewer of them made, therefore more collectable.
The G6ET Spot is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-12-2009, 11:48 PM   #45
Bent8
Long live the GT !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon97
We are ford fans from childhood, and my husband now has his dream car XR8 BA 2003. But now his thinking of trading it in for a Monaro......New version Monaro.
CANNOT COMPUTE.......CANNOT COMPUTE.....

"Whatya think of me car, XR Falcon, 351 Blown Cleveland running Motec injection and runnin' on methanol... goes pretty hard too, got heaps of torque for chucking burnouts, IT'S UNREAL !!" - Poida
Bent8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-12-2009, 08:50 AM   #46
FPV8U
BOSS 5.4L Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT0132
Thats a huge call I must say....
No Doubt, but you never know if you never have a go
FPV8U is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-12-2009, 08:56 AM   #47
GTJOHN
Ford 4 Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan
What do you think pre-77 Monaros were then? They were basically 2 door Kingswoods mate.
They may have been , but at least they had some style as did the Kingswood..not the Buttygly Crappadore things of today...IF GM continued making decent cars and not mass produced Buzz bioxes designed by a blind group of escaped insane asylums ..maybe id buy one...but GM just continues to produce garbage...some ppl like them and so be it thats their opinion... mine is that id take Ford...then Toyota over any GM product today

2nd Car - AU Falcon ,
Black Tickford wheels and Bodykit

---------------------------------------------------
GTJOHN is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-12-2009, 01:12 PM   #48
Scooter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by svov88
With one BIG difference, the classic monaro was a true pillarless coupe,the new monaro is not! Basically a 2 door sedan. Also I will state again, HK-T and to a lesser extent HG MONARO'S have motorsport cred, MOST IMPORTANT, basically the most important aspect.
Could not agree more! Those new "Monaro's" remind me of my Mum's old Hyundai Excel 3 door, The bloody back windows don't even wind down!
Nothing better than a 2 door pillarless with all the windows down!
Don't buy a car as an investment, it just keeps good people willing to drive them out of these cars. I do not even think these cars will be around in 30 years. Aren't airbags, seatbelt pre-tensioners etc meant to be only good for 10 years? The cost of maintenance on these type cars over the years will outweigh your final "profit gain"?
Scooter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-12-2009, 01:31 PM   #49
4VCLEVO
XA GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Director
manual TS50, series 3 is the answer
Agree, it will be worth more than both the CV8 monaro and the XR8.
Old 24-12-2009, 01:36 PM   #50
TUF_302
The Vengeful One
Donating Member1

New Monaro's are just two door commys, if you want a real one get a HG/HT GTS
Old 24-12-2009, 02:16 PM   #51
Antwon
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

You obviously like Fords over Holdens, so why not look at some of the rarer Fords?
EB GT, EL GT, AU T series, BA XR8 enforcer (not sure about that one), BF Cobra, BF 40th anniversary, BF GT (ones made after the cobra and 40th, as they have the 302 engine as well and are pretty rare), BF Force 6/8, FG GTE etc etc
Old 24-12-2009, 02:50 PM   #52
Jack91
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If its going to be a straight swap for a VE, then I say go for it, that seems like a bloody good deal.
Jack91 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-12-2009, 03:09 PM   #53
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

I rekon people get confused with an investment compared to depreciation

There will always be cars out there that depreciate less than others ..... a Monaro over a standard Commodore or a BF Cobra over a BF GT-P and a Monaro over an XR8.

To buy as an investment? I would never ever do that with any newer car, or any dealer car (old or new) for that matter. I would only buy because I wanted it. There is not 1 I can think of that anyone would make make money on.... compared to other investment opportunites. A PH IV ?

| [/url] |

101,436 MEMBERS ......... 101,436 OPINIONS ..... What could possibly go wrong!

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Auslandau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-12-2009, 04:11 PM   #54
Chopped
as in chopped

If you believe that the trend of a cashed up generation entering their later half of life (baby boomers) and wanting to relieve their younger years through buying muscle cars from their youth will continue and repeat in the future, then get the Monaro or the W427 or the Cobra Gt Falcon or an R-spec F6 etc as you are bound to make money on them (as has been proven).

But the future might also be so overly regulated, only allowing for highly fuel efficient and non polluting vehicles that owning a muscle car would be very unattractive.
Old 24-12-2009, 04:41 PM   #55
Ryan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTJOHN
They may have been , but at least they had some style as did the Kingswood..not the Buttygly Crappadore things of today...IF GM continued making decent cars and not mass produced Buzz bioxes designed by a blind group of escaped insane asylums ..maybe id buy one...but GM just continues to produce garbage...some ppl like them and so be it thats their opinion... mine is that id take Ford...then Toyota over any GM product today
Fair enough. I still prefer the K, T, and G series Monaros. Especially HKs as my great grandad owned one. I don't mind the new ones, but as someone else said they don't racing cred like the old ones do.
Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-12-2009, 09:32 AM   #56
Saraco

Quote:
Originally Posted by TUF_302
New Monaro's are just two door commys, if you want a real one get a HG/HT GTS
HQ/HJ coupes are cool too! They too have motor sport cred, but much more obscure. I remember a couple racing at bathurst! One I believe was an automatic?! They also had strong ranks, in sport sedan racing of the era.
Old 25-12-2009, 11:03 AM   #57
Chopped
as in chopped

" In 2002 Holden Motorsport was looking at running a Holden Monaro in Bathurst 24 Hour for exotic sports cars against the likes of the Lamborghini Diablo GT, Ferrari F360 GT, Chrysler Viper ACR, Porsche 911 GT3 RS & Porsche GT3 Cup. Its most 'exotic' car was the Monaro. Garry Rogers Motorsport was given the job of building the car as well as running it. The car ran a GRM version of the Corvette C5-R 427cui motor. In its race debut, the 2002 Bathurst 24hr it overcame fuel cell problems to win the race by 24 laps driven by Garth Tander, Steven Richards, Cameron McConville and Nathan Pretty. Pretty then drove the car in the 2003 Australian Nations Cup Championship scoring numerous race wins but not the title. In 2003 GRM built a second car for the legendary Peter Brock. It was this second car which won the second Bathurst 24hr race with Jason Bright, Todd Kelly and Greg Murphy sharing the driving with Brock. The winning car from 2002, driven by the same four drivers as the previous year finished second less than one second behind after 24 hours of racing. "

Does that count ?
Old 25-12-2009, 11:14 AM   #58
data_mine
GT-P With An Ego
Donating Member2

If you have one of those two HRT427 Monaro's then sure, they're collectible.

Ford Performance Club of ACT
data_mine is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-12-2009, 07:01 PM   #59
Bad Bird
Watts a panhard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chopped
" .... Its most 'exotic' car was the Monaro. Garry Rogers Motorsport was given the job of building the car as well as running it. The car ran a GRM version of the Corvette C5-R 427cui motor. In its race debut, the 2002 Bathurst 24hr it overcame fuel cell problems to win the race by 24 laps driven by Garth Tander, Steven Richards, Cameron McConville and Nathan Pretty... "

Does that count ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by svov88
None of these new cars will be worth as much as the classics. No motorsport cred, i.e. they never raced in big time racing in standard or near standard form.
I hope this answers the question.
Old 25-12-2009, 07:06 PM   #60
gtxb67
moderator ford coupe club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Bird
I hope this answers the question.
not really - the monaro that ran was nothing like standard. it may have been close to the w427, but that was not yet a car and from memory, it looks nothing like the one that raced
also i am happy to be proved wrong, but the monaro was playing on an unlevel field. to my understanding all of the other nation cup cars were fairly close to what was available on the showroom floor. the monaro though never had a 427 at the time
gtxb67 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post