Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 01-03-2006, 10:44 AM   #31
HOON69
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6-VCT-2000
:( oh no , not another huge 4x4 on the road ! - i goto the drive-in movies around here alot and myself and others find them extremely anoying.
If your buying one for its real purpose then nothing beats the good old tissue box landcruiser. How many people do see 4x4'n their nice new shiny 4x4's ? - bugger all cos everyone is to scared to scratch them.
come look at the before and after shots of mine,i use mine for the family and for 4x4 i havent bothered driving my ford since i've had this,though she def is wearing her battle scars proudly..
HOON69 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-03-2006, 10:54 AM   #32
XR6-VCT-2000
Fantastic Plastic

mate on the road they are a pain in the butt - fullstop ! . No one can see anything past them , most people driving them can't see around them propery - they end up side swiping cars in car parks etc etc , its just out of control these days , there is no need for a huge 4x4 on city roads .... that said - keep them to the country or for just 4x4'n like they were originally meant for and im fine with that, im just sick of them around town everywhere.
XR6-VCT-2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-03-2006, 12:22 PM   #33
pb02
inconceivable!

Quote:
Originally Posted by new2ford
You take your life in your hands in a Landcruiser or Patrol on the highway unless you go round those bends nice and easy and hope there's nothing you have to stop suddenly for.
Where do you get that from????
I regularly drive a Landcruiser Turbo Diesel up to my parents farm in Moama and I've never had to take bends "nice and easy". I was doing 110 down the hume and had to swerve to avoid a sleeper that came off the back of a truck and I felt completely safe and the cruiser handled it perfectly! The new independant front end is brilliant.

Go the Landcruiser or Patrol. My parents have had cruisers for the last 18 years and never had a single problem with them. All regularly towed 2.5T + without any dramas.
pb02 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-03-2006, 12:36 PM   #34
MotherNatureVer2
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

In total agreeance with you pb02 ........... new2ford ..... where did you get that from?????

We have an 80 series Cruiser and love it ...... anything from highway to bush driving and the occasional city trip ......... We cant fault her at all .......

Being out bush we regularly have to miss things on the road & whether its dirt or tar this beast handles like nothing Ive ever driven before .........

Back to the original question I think Lisas suggestion of a 100 Series Cruiser will suit you to a tee matey .......... Should you want a cheaper variety go the 80 series .....Their cheap as chips now days but still stylish enough for a 4x4...... Ours has a heavy duty Hayman Reece tow set up with the electric breaks and the heavy duty suspension........ she will pull the custard off........ well you know what I mean ;)
She will pull anything required of her ... even a 2 horse float with two HUGE horses on it ..... we still can keep to the speed limits ............
MotherNatureVer2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-03-2006, 01:07 PM   #35
lisa76
BEU77Y and the BEE55T

Our 80 series proudly shows her battle scars too - we aren't scared to take her offroad and really can't fault the vehicle.

His: BEE55T 80 Series Landcruiser
Double diff locks, Rancho in cab adjustable shocks, 2" lift, GPS, Mickey Thompson Baja Claws (offroad) and coming soon Mickey Thompson ATZ Radials
lisa76 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-03-2006, 02:15 PM   #36
1TUFFUTE
Banned

I was wrong the new defenders are actually rated to tow 2300 4100 with brakes,and the 2.5turbo hauls 4 a 4wd. Plus they have 2 reverse gears. They dont rust cause they are alluminium body, and besides being rated the best 4wds in the world they actually look like something that u can take off road...a navara would be FASTER tho :
1TUFFUTE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-03-2006, 02:25 PM   #37
johnydep
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech article(s) 

Jeep has a new one on the market; Jeep's new 7 seater
especially concerning their love of the motor vehicle.

http://www.fireservicecollege.ac.uk
johnydep is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-03-2006, 04:32 PM   #38
new2ford
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb02
Where do you get that from????
Own driving experience, plus the frequent evidence in the news of loss-of-control/ rollovers resulting from sudden steering corrections and resulting in many fatalities. Plus Wheels stability tests in 2005 which included the comparable Prado which was found to be abysmal. Plus the various 4x4 magazine comments in awarding Disco 3 COTY - not only because of exceptional off road ability but because of its superior on road abilities. Landies also last longer-term and of course less prone to rust.

Country people are generally OK with traditional 4WDs like cruisers and Patrols because they know their limits. The problem comes with urban families buying them and taking them on the highway where they think they drive like any sedan. Land Rover is the only manufacturer that has addressed the on road issue seriously. Not only a better 4WD but a safer one too.
Old 01-03-2006, 05:48 PM   #39
XRated
Shoot.

My brother has a Landrover (like posted above, must be the very next model before it). I'll tell you what, fitting five adults is down right ridiculous. I'm just under six foot tall and feel awfully cramped in the back seat as is without any other passengers. I hate being in it with five adults. You wouldn't have any space left if you had seven seats. The only upside is the nice leather and all the comments I get when I drive it hehee...

As a comparisson, my other brother has a Territory and the rear leg/head room is much more forgiving. I'm not suggesting it as a vehicle to tow 3.5 tonne, but just comparing in the way of passenger space.

20V Turbo

XRated is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-03-2006, 10:49 PM   #40
Transit Truck

Thanks for all the replies...

I will probably head to cruiser country since the rover is way too expensive. There are some nice used 100 series for sale with shiny bars on the front :nutsycuck

Alex
Transit Truck is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-03-2006, 11:15 PM   #41
Transit Truck

Just found this:
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI....ayphotohosting

Step aside ford f series, that thing will tow anything... :hihi:
Transit Truck is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-03-2006, 11:25 PM   #42
zetec
Zoom Zoom

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyQLD
Another vote for the D3 they are great 4wd's :

Mmmm a D3 driving in chocolate Mousse. Yummy!! :
Old 01-03-2006, 11:49 PM   #43
GTP 320
Blueprint Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by akiklovich
Hi,

I am in the market for a 4x4 for comfort, occasional offroading and towing with 3500 kg capacity. I know there are heaps out there rated for this, but I would like peoples opinion before I go wasting my time around dealerships.

I am sort of set on a Land Rover Discovery 3.

My essential requirements are:

Turbo Diesel
7 Seat Min
Rear Aircon
3500 kg towing capacity
From what i've heard the Land Rover Discovery is a nice refinement and comfortable vehicle to drive but when it comes to towing they lack the power of the bigger 4wd.
Cheers John

Leather seats, Premium sound, Sunroof, Satellite Navigation, Reversing sensors, Herrods lowered suspension, Full stainless steel Quad exhaust system, Helix spacer,Open mouth cold air induction,Uni Chip,BMC air filter
GTP 320 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post