Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 26-06-2006, 07:05 PM   #31
WILDTRAKPX2
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT-0733
i'm with ltd. after all, these owners should be accountable for they're goddam cats the same as us dog owners.
I agree with ltd as well. I had this very problem not long ago, and I used a council trap.
WILDTRAKPX2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-06-2006, 07:11 PM   #32
PH47
Ford Power, in a Merc?

i'm with ltd as well.. i think his posts should be praised not flamed.. at least he's offering a viable solution.

plus i love cats, but as pets.. they should NOT be roaming free..
PH47 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-06-2006, 07:16 PM   #33
Falcon Coupe
Clevo Mafia Inc.

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF over an extended period of time. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Your tireless efforts behind the scenes in keeping AFF the place it is. 

LTD knows the score, i trapped a cat, council took it, end of problem.
Falcon Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-06-2006, 08:16 PM   #34
efgiar
rofl copter

totally agree with ltd, cats are awesome pets, love them to pieces, but when they start to cause damage, to either property or people is when you have to let them go or get the problem fixed and the way ltd has mentioned is a very good way because it gives the owner a chance to do somthing about it, you would rather that then some one just kiling the cat and dumping it on thier doorstep or some thing

thats all
efgiar is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-06-2006, 08:19 PM   #35
Cobra
Bear with a sore head

I have a cat. Well my daughter has a cat. She loves him more than anyone else on this planet I think. If Evan (cat) sat on my neighbour's car (during the day) next door, which they leave out in the open all day and night and my neighbours had our cat caught and taken to the council as a response, my daughter would be devastated and I would be horrified at that reaction!

My cat is kept inside at night and I think all cats should be. But if someone leaves their car outside during the day, such as in their drive way or on the street, cats are going to sit on it at some point and birds are also going to leave their deposits on it as are trees! If your car cannot handle that kind of "abuse" then you should make sure that you buy/rent a place with a garage. If you leave it out in the open, its pretty hard to expect nothing will sit on it, and then expect to take a cat off to the council for doing so!

I know when we were in the market for a house, ONLY a house with a double lock up garage for both of our cars was going to be an option. Same for the 10 houses I had rented previously to that. I love my car and I dont like any cat, even our cat, sitting on it, so I take some of the responsibility for it myself!

There is no way that, if I left my car outside in the open, and a neighbour's cat sat on my car, that I would get the council to take their pet away. I think that is a massive overreaction! Yell at it etc, thats what I do... if you want to leave the car out, then figure out some other way.

I have a black car by the way and I hate cats sitting on it after its been washed... but I am responsible for my car too.

edit: by XRchic (sorry, posted in boyfriend's username!)
Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-06-2006, 08:28 PM   #36
BPXR6T
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I had this problem a few years back. So I started feeding the cat a big can of tuna once a day. This was a sure fire way of giving it the runs. My neighbour scrubbed diarrhea out of the carpet a few times before giving the cat to his sister. Problem solved...
BPXR6T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-06-2006, 08:42 PM   #37
ltd
Force Fed Fords

Like I said in my first post, confront the neighbour about it first. This means before trapping it and sending it off to the pound.
Whilst I have no doubt that most of you would listen to your neighbours plight, most cat owners are less than sympathetic to anyone mentioning that their cat is a problem by way of scratching cars, or using their garden as a toilet.

The fact of the matter is that cats are not legally allowed to roam free either in the day or at night, and damage caused by the cat is actionable against the owner from a legal point of view.
This means that if your cat is indeed scratching someone’s car inadvertently, you, the owner will be liable legally for the cost of the damages regardless as to whether the cat escaped or was let out. In technical terms, you have breached your duty of care by not containing your pet to your premises.

One of my clients recently had an incident where his 2 week old black S600 became a warm place for the neighbours cat to sleep when he returned home of a late afternoon. Furious that the highly polished and ergo slippery surfaces made the cat use its claws to gain traction climbing onto the car, he enlisted the help of counsel (legal representation) to deal with the matter. The owner was at first peeved that they were not consulted first, however they were fuming when they were served with a damages claim a tad over $14k for the respray of the car and the cost of a hire car.
A couple of months went by and sure enough, the neighbour was forced to pay up.

So I’m not against cats’ perse, I am however against serial litigants, who would take advantage of the situation by filing suit, potentially financially crippling fellow members of the forum. For that matter I am also against people who would hurt the animal, or worse kill the animal in a cruel, inhumane way; however I am not ignorant to the fact that too many inconsiderate people own cats and couldn’t give two hoots about what it gets up to - I like when they get sued.

Quote:
Powered by GE
ltd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-06-2006, 08:48 PM   #38
Turbot

Default Build a home made sentry gun

:the_finge
Sentry Gun :evilsasmo
Turbot is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-06-2006, 08:52 PM   #39
Falcon Coupe
Clevo Mafia Inc.

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF over an extended period of time. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Your tireless efforts behind the scenes in keeping AFF the place it is. 

I also consulted neighbors before taking action, they promised to keep them locked up, it lasted a few weeks, it's bad enough that my dogs bark at the cats while they poo in my garden at 2:00am and wake the household up, but after seeing paw and scratch marks on my new $50,000 dollar cars bonnet (parked 20 meters off the road in my carport) it was the last straw, they only humane and legal way to deal with it was hire a trap from the council.
Falcon Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-06-2006, 08:52 PM   #40
WILDTRAKPX2
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The cat I caught and eradicated was not scratching any of our cars. Every night it would pay us a visit and urinate on our verandahs and outdoor furniture.

Cats are required to be kept in during the night. Simple. Leave it out and suffer the consequences. Our yard is fully fenced, so we have no trouble with dogs etc, but if another cat decides to inflict us with it's filthy and damaging nocturnal acts, it will meet it's cat trap destiny. Easy.

Cat owners are responsible for their cats.
WILDTRAKPX2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-06-2006, 08:53 PM   #41
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by boss-290
There is no need for animal cruelty. If something is an inconvenience , you just destroy it? Come on people wake up.

Maybe you should use your garage! I would kill for one.
No need to be cruel to a cat but you will kill for a garage? UM......?

If I could shoot the cats that have ruined my bonnet without putting a hole in the windscreen I would do it. Destroying my property which they have on the BA bonnet, They deserve to be out: Number one cat hater. I dont own one so dont send yours around to visit!

| [/url] |

101,436 MEMBERS ......... 101,436 OPINIONS ..... What could possibly go wrong!

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Auslandau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-06-2006, 08:58 PM   #42
Josh_XC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra
I have a cat. Well my daughter has a cat. She loves him more than anyone else on this planet I think. If Evan (cat) sat on my neighbour's car (during the day) next door, which they leave out in the open all day and night and my neighbours had our cat caught and taken to the council as a response, my daughter would be devastated and I would be horrified at that reaction!

My cat is kept inside at night and I think all cats should be. But if someone leaves their car outside during the day, such as in their drive way or on the street, cats are going to sit on it at some point and birds are also going to leave their deposits on it as are trees! If your car cannot handle that kind of "abuse" then you should make sure that you buy/rent a place with a garage. If you leave it out in the open, its pretty hard to expect nothing will sit on it, and then expect to take a cat off to the council for doing so!

I know when we were in the market for a house, ONLY a house with a double lock up garage for both of our cars was going to be an option. Same for the 10 houses I had rented previously to that. I love my car and I dont like any cat, even our cat, sitting on it, so I take some of the responsibility for it myself!

There is no way that, if I left my car outside in the open, and a neighbour's cat sat on my car, that I would get the council to take their pet away. I think that is a massive overreaction! Yell at it etc, thats what I do... if you want to leave the car out, then figure out some other way.

I have a black car by the way and I hate cats sitting on it after its been washed... but I am responsible for my car too.

edit: by XRchic (sorry, posted in boyfriend's username!)

yeh i agree owners must be responsible for there own cars, i know many people including my misses that loves her cat, it climbs all over my car and scratches the crap out of it, it does bother me but all in all the car is my responsiblilty nothing more, think of the people who own the cats, there are many who care more for there animals then anything else
Josh_XC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-06-2006, 10:31 PM   #43
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh_XC
yeh i agree owners must be responsible for there own cars, i know many people including my misses that loves her cat, it climbs all over my car and scratches the crap out of it, it does bother me but all in all the car is my responsiblilty nothing more, think of the people who own the cats, there are many who care more for there animals then anything else
Oh Boy! The car is your responsibility BUT the cats hers. : Think of the person who owns the cat? Think of the person whos property they stink or mess up! Sorry but this is a bit of a 'pet' hate of mine. :

| [/url] |

101,436 MEMBERS ......... 101,436 OPINIONS ..... What could possibly go wrong!

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Auslandau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-06-2006, 05:10 AM   #44
Abacus
Life's a Gas

Off topic , but this thread made me think of this...

I grew up on a farm. We had 7 cats. They wouldn't sleep on the bonnet - they slept under the bonnet of the ute - on the nice warm engine. Ute was parked outside.

Standard operating procedure each morning was (a) throw water over windscreen, to get rid of the frost (b) open bonnet (c) throw out cats (d) start engine.

...'cept some mornings, if you were in a hurry and went straight to (d). Cats used to come out from under the ute at high speed.....
Abacus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-06-2006, 05:20 AM   #45
Outbackjack
Central to all beach's

I had this problem last winter. The neighbours cat decided that it was good to sit on my car and sleep. I did not appreciate the scratches that the flea bag left behind. So, a motion sensor, a valve and a hose pointing at the car connected to a tap turned to full pressure. Moggy gets up on my car, the motion sensor trips the valve, moggy spends the rest of a freezing cold desert winters night trying to get dry/warm. Funny thing is it took the stupid cat a week to work out that every time it got on my car, it got wet.....It dont do it anymore.
Outbackjack is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-06-2006, 07:51 AM   #46
LTDHO
The one and only

Unfortunately no one owns a cat. They are free to do what ever they want. Whilst this happends, cats will be free to damage cars. as i own a black car my hatered for cats is very high.
Although the things I'd like to do would get me banned from AFF, caging is a better alternative.
Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe
LTDHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-06-2006, 08:10 AM   #47
mr_efxr
Not your average EF Wagon

Be friendly to the cat, invite it in for some food get it to like you.

Then make warm and fluffy slippers out of the little rascal.

The recently SOLD 95 EF Wagon 5spd NA SLEEPER

The Daily cruisers now *95 R33 Skyline GTS-T RB25DET *93 Lexus GS300 2JZ-GTE

Car enthusiasts visit Unique Cars and Parts
mr_efxr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-06-2006, 08:15 AM   #48
ON_DUBS
[ON DUBS]

I agree with ltd and I don't see a problem with that. It's good information and it's up to your own discretion if your situation warrants that.

I have the occasional cat on the bonnet, I reckon I'll give the pepper a go.

If the cat was doing damage and it was a regular thing where the owner would not do anything about it, I would be forced to take up my legal rights.
Old 27-06-2006, 08:37 AM   #49
LTD Spyder

I love cats, BBQ'd with a little butter & garlic. :
Tastes like chicken....... :
LTD Spyder is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-06-2006, 08:39 AM   #50
TheSneakiness
Adapt or perish...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RspecAU
Best way to scratch the paint work. Pull it's claws out...flame siut on
When your bonnet is in a crap condition like mine is, you don't worry about extra scratches...
Old 27-06-2006, 09:16 AM   #51
Pinkbits
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Easy solution, do as I did and make a cat run, we have 3 siamese and they have never seen the outside of their run. They are let in in the late afternoon and put out when the wife goes to bed. When I built it I also made a 2 level sleeping compartment and also planted shrubs, hung planters and made jumping platforms set at different heights, it measures approx 4ml x 2mw x 2.5mh.
Total cost approx $300, small price to pay for neighbourhood peace.
Pinkbits is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-06-2006, 09:58 AM   #52
MR_SIDO
you'd be popular too.....

Thanks for all the suggestions people, now how bout some pics...... this is two nights worth of the feral feline.

Old 27-06-2006, 11:30 AM   #53
ON_DUBS
[ON DUBS]

Quote:
Originally Posted by REDXR8BLOKE
Easy solution, do as I did and make a cat run, we have 3 siamese and they have never seen the outside of their run. They are let in in the late afternoon and put out when the wife goes to bed. When I built it I also made a 2 level sleeping compartment and also planted shrubs, hung planters and made jumping platforms set at different heights, it measures approx 4ml x 2mw x 2.5mh.
Total cost approx $300, small price to pay for neighbourhood peace.
now thats a responsible cat owner :
Old 27-06-2006, 11:52 AM   #54
GCFordChic
I love AU XR8s

little monsters!!!

everyone is assuming you know whose cats they are....do you actually know, i mean do you ever see them close enough to be able to go to your neighbour and demand they do something about their cats?

Try a cheap car tarp to begin with, my brother has to park on the driveway and with a big blue tarp the cats dont want to go on it.

FPV & XR Owners Club of Qld
Want more info on our club?
fpvxrqldinfo@gmail.com
or see our Club Section

My Garage:
AU II XR8 Sedan "Lil T"
Hyundai i30 SR
yeah baby!
GCFordChic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-06-2006, 12:34 PM   #55
MR_SIDO

I know who's cat it is, but you have to understand that where we live, it is normal to have cats roaming freely as we are in a rural area, out of town. I cannot tell someone to hold their cat in at night when they have been alowed to roam freely for years, animal patrol is non existent in our area. I will try the pepper thing I think and then go from there.
Old 27-06-2006, 12:37 PM   #56
camerooch

Polish your bonnet and guards with a high quality wax/polish - The bugger will just keep slipping off !!!
camerooch is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-06-2006, 12:41 PM   #57
blackers10
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

they only ever sit on it when its warm and freshy washed!!

never see them on it when its dirty do ya! damn cats!

when my old cat used 2 jump on the car i used to throw it off the bonnet ... stopped doin it after a few times
Old 27-06-2006, 12:47 PM   #58
camerooch

How about a pressure sensing switch ?
When it senses the weight of the cat on the bonnet, bonnet flings open, sending cat to..........WHO CARES !!!!
camerooch is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-06-2006, 12:49 PM   #59
MR_SIDO

i just cant believe we have gone through 3 pages without any pussy jokes.
Old 27-06-2006, 12:53 PM   #60
LukeGT
Melbourne, Victoria

We should not have to work around the problem by building garages or tying stuff to our car, the answer is to remove the problem itself. I recently had an issue with cats diggering and littering all over my garden, which took some time each week to clean up. I purposely don't have pets for this reason - don't like cleaning up after them.

Anyhow, borrowed a trap from the cat protection society and caught 2 cats in 3 days (must not have like the brother in laws spagetti on the 2nd night!), and simply drove them 15k's away and let them out (I know - solving my problem but creating one for someone else, but couldn't get them to the CPS or council because of work).

Didn't confront the neighbours first. Well didn't actually know who's cats they were, but don't want to p1ss of the neighbours by making their pets dissappear just because they refused to control them. As far as i'm concerned, if it's on my property, it's mine!

... now just gotta get that trap back to get rid of the other 2 cats...!
LukeGT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post