Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 01-01-2014, 12:55 AM   #31
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: getting a pre job medical examination

My last truck job I had to do a medical, Bugger me the sod checked more than my gp does on the annual check up...................I'm old and burned out and I passed...... mind you I had to grit my teeth when the doc was checking the joints.......... I had a mental pic of me punching out the doc at the time .
my bet is you will **** it in.......... good luck.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-01-2014, 03:05 AM   #32
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Don't stress. I'm old, fat, and unfit, and I have passed literally dozens of these medicals.
Crazy Dazz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 01-01-2014, 11:28 AM   #33
Hell Cat

Thanks for the feedback guys.

Im booked in for tomorrow morning at medibank, I guess I should warm up and stretch before I go in.

They are doing a background and license check also, I only have two minor speeding tickets (couple of km over) and a no turn right after 4pm offense (it was 4:03pm at the time according to the officers watch)
Hell Cat is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-01-2014, 02:14 PM   #34
Scooter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

You'll be right there then. Sounds like the job is as good as yours. Where you going to be working?
Scooter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-01-2014, 04:01 PM   #35
MercurySilver
Isn't it obvious?
Donating Member1

guy at work had the same thing happen to him as what happened to monte.b
we just tell the boss if we are taking any prescribed medication and then go to the medical centre to get it checked out by the nurse etc
but htey still follow the procedure of send you home when the test comes back positive
they send it away you go home on full pay and get a call in about 9 days to come back to work
crazy
MercurySilver is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-01-2014, 09:33 PM   #36
xyfalcon383

If your getting a medical for the offshore industrie expect blood test , chest xray, and yes broken tooth you will fail no dentist at sea, when I was mining its a lot less stuffing about just blood pressure hearing , eye test etc
xyfalcon383 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-01-2014, 09:52 PM   #37
DJR-351
I am Groot
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by xyfalcon383 View Post
If your getting a medical for the offshore industrie expect blood test , chest xray, and yes broken tooth you will fail no dentist at sea, when I was mining its a lot less stuffing about just blood pressure hearing , eye test etc
Whereabouts in the Offshore industry are you? I've been there 14 years and never heard of anyone been knocked back for dental problems, and I've seen some guys with pretty gammy mouths in my time....

"Those were the days when the cars were cars, they weren't built out of an Ikea pack like they are now and clothed in plastic; they were real cars." John Bowe
DJR-351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-01-2014, 10:38 PM   #38
Hell Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
You'll be right there then. Sounds like the job is as good as yours. Where you going to be working?
Will be working as a leasehand on a coal seam drilling rig, not sure on location yet but will probably be around the bowen basin. it's a completey new industry for me and im looking forward to it.
Old 01-01-2014, 11:08 PM   #39
ianxy351
more cubes please...

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Sharing his technical knowledge with members. 

I'm an ex HR Manager with an IR background, so have been involved overseeing the process for employers.

My advice is be absolutely truthful when completing any health declarations - you can be sacked at a later date for a false declaration whether or not it is relevant at the time. Secondly, any urine test for drugs will pick up thc and such like for up to 3 months. Thirdly, if you are on prescription meds take the meds with you and declare up front - it will be picked up. Fourth, if its a saliva test, expect prescription meds, particularly pain killers, to be picked up for around 24 hours after being taken - so declare any meds taken in the past 24 hours whether prescription or not.

All in all, shouldnt be hard to pass. But I have seen some people tell untruths during the process and while the explanation was acceptable, the fact that the potential employee was untruthful was enough for my staff to say ' no' in terms of employing the person - its a very bad first impression for an employer when they arent told the truth even before the employment commences.

Hope this helps.

Ian
1967 FJ40 Landcruiser 'Rusty'
ianxy351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 03-01-2014, 01:11 AM   #40
Hell Cat

Passed the medical today, I held in my morning pee till I arrived for the medical, I could've filled up a bath tub.

Didn't have to do any lifting, just squatting down and moving my arms around, balancing. Asked about previous injuries.

This arvo I got an email from the company I applied for the job with saying that I was successful and that I need to start my inductions next week! Super happy about that.

They asked I have any dietary requirements, I don't eat meat, do the fifo camps cater for pussies who dont eat meat?
2 users like this post:
Old 03-01-2014, 09:53 AM   #41
Mk II

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hell Cat View Post

Passed the medical today, I held in my morning pee till I arrived for the medical, I could've filled up a bath tub.

Didn't have to do any lifting, just squatting down and moving my arms around, balancing. Asked about previous injuries.

This arvo I got an email from the company I applied for the job with saying that I was successful and that I need to start my inductions next week! Super happy about that.

They asked I have any dietary requirements, I don't eat meat, do the fifo camps cater for pussies who dont eat meat?
I've never done FIFO but I bet there would be a drama if they didn't cater for you. Not eating meat isn't a big ask really....
Mk II is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-01-2014, 12:49 PM   #42
XR6_661
Cane Farmer

piece of **** mate. Should see some of the blokes on site that pass.

I had to do things like lunges, squats, overhead press...Few back extensions. Pee in a cup, etc etc

Takes about an hour from memory

1994 ED XR6T - Cobalt Blue.

2009 FG XR6 - Black.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex
I couldn't give a crap how many are in their family, what gay passtimes they paticipate in, or whether they have a cat, dog or a freaken fish.

Keep your stinking family to yourself god damn it.
XR6_661 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-01-2014, 01:45 PM   #43
Hell Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mk II View Post
I've never done FIFO but I bet there would be a drama if they didn't cater for you. Not eating meat isn't a big ask really....

I emailed them back, told them I dont eat meat, it's all good they said.
Old 03-01-2014, 05:23 PM   #44
vanman_75
XD Sundowner

If you're camp it's all buffet ..eat whatever you like ..even if your hotel, you still order what you like ...and camp Tucker has definitely improved ...salads and such , gluten free etc etc ..
Old 03-01-2014, 09:53 PM   #45
jstanovic
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
... plus I don't like needles.
Haha, I find it funny when people say that! I have never met anyone that likes needles, neither has my missus who is a nurse so take it like a champ hahaha!!!!!
jstanovic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-01-2014, 10:09 PM   #46
monte.b

Quote:
I emailed them back, told them I dont eat meat, it's all good they said.
Well done mate ,hope you enjoy the new job ,just remember you aint young forever and save all the dollars you can ,good luck with it all
monte.b is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 03-01-2014, 10:33 PM   #47
Hell Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by monte.b View Post
Well done mate ,hope you enjoy the new job ,just remember you aint young forever and save all the dollars you can ,good luck with it all
Thanks.
Pretty much every cent is going straight into the offset account for the house. I'd also like to get a new hot water system and renovate the bathroom...... and do some work on the xm that's in pieces in the shed.
Definitely don't want to throw the money away.

It's a new industry for me but I reckon I'll enjoy working on a rig.