Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 06-09-2011, 09:24 AM   #31
LTDHO
The one and only

Default Re: September 11th

It was days before i was due to fly to England and I didn't know it had happened until I got to work and everyone was glued to the TV.

Chill down my spine just thinking about it.

Needless to say, no one worked that day, every phone call was more about the great tragedy than of the callers personal loss. Although some callers were selfish, sad people that they are.

RIP to the lives lost
Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe
LTDHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-09-2011, 09:34 AM   #32
DBourne
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I remember waking up and had the radio as my alarm clock, Andrew Denton was on (Triple M) and was saying "if anyone needs to call us please do" and thought err.. ok?

Then mum called me to come watch the TV, remember thinking what the heck is this? A bad movie?
Old 06-09-2011, 09:47 AM   #33
TheSneakiness
Adapt or perish...

I was 17 and just woke up to it on the TV. Couldn't believe it.

Created a huge argument in our school group of friends (had a 'know-it-all'), lets just say when said person walks off cause they have no argument to come back on it's generally controversial.

10 years... :S
Old 06-09-2011, 10:12 AM   #34
R1XSTA
Silky Smoothe

I was young. I wanted to watch Pokemon. They deprived me of that want.

I wanted to kill those terrorists also. I wanted pokemon damnit.
- 2006 Ford Territory Turbo; Silhoutte, Leather, Plazmaman CAI.
R1XSTA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-09-2011, 10:46 AM   #35
charles_wif_xf
Purveyor of filth

I was writing a research paper for my degree that night. I turned on the TV around 10:00pm to take a small break and around 10:30, the live crosses started, with Sandra Sully breaking the news. At this point, I ran down to Safeway and bought a whole swag of video tapes and kept feeding them into the VCR as the night unfolded; this was big and I knew enough to record the first hand accounts. Suffice it to say, I didn't go to bed that night.
charles_wif_xf is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-09-2011, 11:19 AM   #36
ch33z1l
Dawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Damo
I'm very interested in it, anyone here know any good doco's on it? Being the 10th anniversary there should be something good in the works
Discovery Channel are doing a week long thing on PayTV, including interview with George W, which is quite interesting.

They also had a doco on Seal Team 6, who were the team that were deployed to Bin Laden's compound
ch33z1l is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-09-2011, 11:36 AM   #37
GT0132
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I was woken at 6am by my then 4 yo son who came screaming in to our bedroom to inform me and my wife that a "Qantas has hit a tall building" ( to him every plane was called " a Qantas" !!) which he soon discovered after switching on TV to watch his usual cartoons.

I wouldn't usually batter an eyelid at the report of a plane crash overseas. However thinking that this accident may have involved a Qantas plane in Sydney or Melbourne I jumped out of bed and just could not believe what was going on.
2005 BA MK2 FPV GT - 6 SPEED MANUAL , SILHOUETTE, SWISSVAX, SUNROOF, BILSTEIN AND LOVELLS, FACTORY GENUINE 19'S, X-FORCE STAINLESS QUAD CATBACK, ADVANCE HEADERS, 200 CPSI CATS, BLUEPOWER CAI, HERROD BREATHER KIT, 4:11 DIFF RATIO, MAL WOOD OPT 3+ CLUTCH, BILLET SHIFTER, MELLINGS 10227, NOW WITH REVERSE CAMERA/SENSORS, ALPINE SPEAKERS & SUB - CUSTOM TUNED TO 275 RWKW

NOW WITH A NEW ADDITION - 2017 MUSTANG V8 GT FASTBACK - , 6 SPEED AUTO IN PLATINUM WHITE,
GT0132 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-09-2011, 11:45 AM   #38
mondo_broady
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ch33z1l
Discovery Channel are doing a week long thing on PayTV, including interview with George W, which is quite interesting.
i watched part of an hour long interview with him yesterday (can't recall the channel) and he seemed almost human... almost. actually it was quite good.

New ride: 2010 LV Focus XR5 - Moondust Silver - More mods than you can poke a stick at
mondo_broady is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-09-2011, 02:31 PM   #39
The Yeti
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucknaked
My wife was feeding our 3 month old son, I was a sleep and she woke me to tell me what was happening. Didn't really take in any of what she was saying, so I rolled over and went back to sleep. Saw it on the news next day.
Simular to me, except I used to help my wife feed, I used to do the nappy change while my wife set up for the feed. then i used to dose any watch walker texas ranger before the mega burping relay began (i sware that boy had a vacume leak he always had a belly full of air after a feed) any how i was watching the telly 1/2 asleep thinking 2 things 1/ wow the special effects are awsome and 2/ whats Walker doing in new york its only when they crossed back to the news reader ( I think Sandra Sully put in a late night as it was about 3am) that I realised and the only words that I can think of to describe it was ****ing Hell

the last 10 years seem to have gone by so quickly and to be honust again the only way Ican describe it is ****ing Hell

I post images with postimg.cc (so I don’t forget)
The Yeti is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-09-2011, 03:30 PM   #40
TheInterceptor
Cruising...

I was about 8. Getup to get ready for school, get out to the living room and channel 7 is on. ''AMERICA UNDER SEIGE'' was the headline...the smoking building...saw the second plane hit. Saw the towers collapsing.
Looked like a controlled pro demolition....straight down they went..(im real skeptical about the whole thing, but i wont go into it)

Something you cant forget.. May they all rest in peace.

Subaru Outback '02
TheInterceptor is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-09-2011, 03:41 PM   #41
daniel270991

Quote:
Originally Posted by R1XSTA
I was young. I wanted to watch Pokemon.
+1

I remember going to school that day and several teachers were in tears. Sad, sad day
daniel270991 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-09-2011, 05:55 PM   #42
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

came home from work arvo shift.. younger sis staying at my place was still up... have look this craps on every channel... i was oofackk this is big...... my views of what has gone down since the so called war on terror will upset a few.. so i will leave you with that snippet in borat where he fires up those cowboy hicks.....
pottery beige is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-09-2011, 07:09 PM   #43
WMD351
Size it up

Came out of the pub and jumped in the car with two mates. Heard about one plane on the radio but details were sketchy.
Dropped mates home and got to my place to turn on the tele and WTF.
Never forget watching all those little black dots constantly raining down the side of the building from the upper levels, thinking it was rubbish or debris... then the reporter pointed out they were the ones jumping to escape the flames.
WMD351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-09-2011, 07:13 PM   #44
Donny
Tickford 220kw Windsor...

I was flipping through channels on the tellie when it happened. We had Pay TV at the time and they stick you with all those annoying bad news channels..
Anyway flipping away an I saw the first tower on fire, that caught my attention instantly thinking it was a big hi rise fire of some sort till they did the recap of what happened. Then I watched live as the other plane went into the second tower and watched them both go down.. Watched the whole thing unfold over the next few days before and after work..

It was a terrible thing to happen, so much loss of life. Unfortunantly, I too beleive there were major shennanigans at play with this whole sorry event, and I can no longer watch shows about it because the whole thing stinks to high heaven in Bakersfield...

Donny is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-09-2011, 07:19 PM   #45
Spanrz
Hmmmmmmm!!

Got a call from a friend on that morning (4:30am). Turned on the TV and it was a WTF moment.

6-8 weeks later, we were in NYC. Visited the site and all. My guts was very queazy. The smell was horrid, you could smell the burning, there was a sulphury type smell too and you could smell the human remains.
To see it on TV then to see it for real was a real eye opener.

But I was shocked to see that they cleaned up the city so well. They did a real good job.
Spanrz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-09-2011, 07:28 PM   #46
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

We'd been sinking a few cans with some work mates that night. Turned in when they left and got a call 20 minutes later when they got home and turned on their telly.
Switched it on just before the second plane struck and just sat there all night watching it unfold, still hard to fathom really.

Went to work that morning with the telly in the back seat, plugged her in and watched it in the shed while detailing cars.
Next thing the DP, service manager, used manager and half the service tech's were standing round watching it all.

I reckon every member of the dealership passed through the shed that day.

RIP
BENT_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-09-2011, 07:30 PM   #47
Matty4
Banana

I was actually working in the International terminal at Melbourne Airport at the time and saw all the TV's in there all start showing footage at the same time. Headed straight back to my office with my 3 other workmates and we just stayed there watching and absorbing it all until I left to go home at 2.30am.

Thought out loud right there and then that WW3 wouldn't be too far away.

RIP to all those souls...
Old 06-09-2011, 07:36 PM   #48
casabonka
You can call me Chris

i was in year 10 - remember waking up for bathroom trip at about 2 and mum (who is always up late watching tv) told me what had happened, within 5 mins the second plane hit.

The next day we had to choose our year 11/12 subjects at school but none of really cared about subjects as that was all we could talk about - still chilling today as it was nearly 10 years back.
-Rear Whiteline swaybay
-Lenso 18's w/Kumho rubber
-Tinted Windows
casabonka is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-09-2011, 08:08 PM   #49
50YEAR

My son was born of the 25th of August 2001. I was sitting up with him while my wife tried to get some sleep. I can remember sitting in the dark watching this terrible tragedy unfold. At the time I was only 3 years out of the US Army. I was torn between relief at being out, and a since of helplessness.
50YEAR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-09-2011, 09:05 PM   #50
BlueyXR6

I dont mean to be a downer but i think the question needs to be put out there.

10 years on, will it happen again???
BlueyXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-09-2011, 09:06 PM   #51
Jason[98.EL]
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

well I have resisted posting on this thread till now seeing some of the pics etc posted up I am unfortunately disgusted with them

when this happened I had 2 mates over there working in the airline industry one male and one female they both lived close to the twin towers

one was on a flight that landed o/k and he is home here in geelong now married with his first child only a year or so old it took him that long to get over it and get out of the airline industry

Rebecca on the other hand was not so lucky she is no longer with us as she was in a meeting with her bosses in tower 1 for a breakfast meeting that she was getting a promotion that would have taken her out of the area and posted to Hawaii but she never got there

from memory she was on the 60 something floor at one of the restaurants

yes I miss her as a friend do I have hate for the people that did this hell yes I do

MAY ALL THE PEOPLE LOST ON THAT FATEFUL DAY REST IN PEACE and may god have mercy on all their souls

sorry the post above but that is how I feel

Jason

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Jason[98.EL] is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-09-2011, 09:09 PM   #52
nstg8a

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueyXR6

security is massively changed, and al-Qaeda is (supposedly) a shadow of its former self.

but who knows, no one expected that one.
nstg8a is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-09-2011, 09:35 PM   #53
Ford_The_Win
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueyXR6

I don't think you could say never, but the world has changed an awful lot since then. I don't think a single person on September 10th 2001 had any idea it was coming, whereas that probably wouldn't be the case now. The mantra is be alert, not alarmed, as Johnny put it.
Old 06-09-2011, 09:43 PM   #54
ILLaViTaR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The only thing notable on that day that I can remember was I was trying to watch Dragon Ball Z on Cheez TV until the yanks took over every single tv station of ours for an entire day stating nothing but the same news.

Lucky they didn't make me miss Goku transforming into a Super Saiyan, I wouldv'e lost my ****.
Old 06-09-2011, 09:52 PM   #55
Spanrz
Hmmmmmmm!!

One thing to add, the radio stations had such the sombre mood, never seen such emotions to such an event. It took about 3 or 4 days for normal programming to come back.
Spanrz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-09-2011, 09:57 PM   #56
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Was at school (had no idea what had happened) i went home from school, seen it was on tv so i sat and watched it all unfold.

RIP to the many lives lost.
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
- Tuned by LS Tuning and Performance
DJM83 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-09-2011, 11:00 PM   #57
AdamL
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason[98.EL]
well I have resisted posting on this thread till now seeing some of the pics etc posted up I am unfortunately disgusted with them.
I understand why you feel that way Jason. Everyone is affected by things differently.

The first image is confronting. It also changed the lives of quite a few people. That TV show proved that the person that was originally identified as the falling man was false and they were able to confirm who it was. That was a huge relief to both families of the men mentioned. So while it's an emotional image, which I'm certain is intentional, it also served a very meaningful purpose.

Joe McNally has done some amazing photographs revolving around the 9/11 tragedy. You can see the work at www.facesofgroundzero.com and there's a story about it at Scott Kelby's Blog.
AdamL is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-09-2011, 11:21 PM   #58
Jason[98.EL]
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

thanks Adam

It is just bloody hard to see the point of it all some times

I have been watching the doco's on foxtel and to be honest it brings me to tears even now

Jason

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Jason[98.EL] is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-09-2011, 11:35 PM   #59
z80
Banned

It will happen again.

Unless the question of what it took to make other humans ****ed off enough, to be prepared to hijack planes and suicide into a building is addressed.

Simply writing them off as fanatic terrorists just doesn't sound plausible.
z80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-09-2011, 11:45 PM   #60
Ryan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJM83
Was at school (had no idea what had happened) i went home from school, seen it was on tv so i sat and watched it all unfold.

RIP to the many lives lost.
Same here. From what I remember it fell on a day I had sport. I think I was playing basketball. I heard all my friends and teachers talking about the twin towers collapsing, but I didn't really know what had happened.

My mum was in Bali at the time and she couldn't come home for a few days due to the increased alert at international airports. Was pretty scary.

Hard to believe it's been 10 years. I was looking at the calendar from 2001 on my phone the other day and although the actual anniversary is on Sunday 9/11 fell on a Tuesday, so it actually happened 10 years to the day today.
Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post