Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Closed Thread

Old 21-10-2010, 05:11 PM   #31
MotherNatureVer2
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My cousin is also a manager for Aldi ....... Just wish they had one here in Dubbo ........ Closest is Bathurst & that's just too far to drive ...

Mmmmm heres a thought ...... Have already run it past my cousin ..... If I have two of you vouching for me I could manage the Dubbo store
Old 21-10-2010, 09:42 PM   #32
Cam
Stroking it...

We shop there consistently for our "cupboard" items. We generally do a shop at aldi once a month to stock up. Admittedly, with 2 kids we go need to shop at coles for the other "food" items. We get all of our fruit and veg from Markets, and meat from super butcher.

A few people think we are crazy shopping at 4 different places, but with the quality of markets / super butcher, and the savings from Aldi it means we get great quality meat / veg, and great savings on the basics.

Plus when "breaking down" the monthly shopping (doing 1 "lot" of shopping a week), it makes it so much easier to ensure you don't end up with no food left in the house... The freshness of F&V from markets means its not unusual to have 4 week old F&V in good condition, just gotta buy from the right people.. And the savings (and quality) of the meat from super butcher is great, I did a shop of meat and F&V from coles last week and was reminded why I dont buy meat and F&V from there..Utter rubbish..
Now: Busted assed EB Wagon - 5sp and Dual Fuel.
Old 21-10-2010, 09:49 PM   #33
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

freakishly Aldi came up in conversation today after I brought a slab of Becks at IGA for $30....a mate reckons their beers there are not that bad, being German and all, anyone buy beer from there regularly?
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Old 22-10-2010, 12:00 AM   #34
fat4D
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

ive tried most of em... some are rubbish! others are good. santiago is like corona's...but easier to drink quiet nice... the best alcohol they sell is the port though 5 bucks a bottle an damn worth 40
Old 22-10-2010, 12:11 AM   #35
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i like Woolies because of the flybuys.....
Old 22-10-2010, 02:41 AM   #36
HLC
Audi S3

Quote:
Originally Posted by fat4D
So a coupl if months ago I did a Career change, i'm only 21 and had spent my whole working life (6 years) busting my **** at maccas, I climbed the ladder there to a reataurant manager working for a bloke who owns 4 stores. Then just out of curiosity I applied for a job with ALDI to manage a store. I got this job so I took my certificates and left maccas and moved to ALDI.

Main point of this thread I'm interested in peoples opionions of ALDI most customers who have got used to the way things work think it's great save money and get good quality stuff. So the question is do u shop there why? Why not?

Cheers

Good choice mate,

i too was working my way up the ranks at maccas looking at getting into Head Office in Sydney.

Applied for a few Aldi jobs cause i was getting bored waiting around at maccas, including the area manager graduate position they have going. Strangely enough, my old man's boss's son got the job. My old man is high up in IGA so go figure, one grocery industry to another.

Anyway strangely enough, i went for the career change recently, and am now working for McKey Distribution (Walkers) as the Field Service Consultant in WA. It's strange how things pan out hey.

Just out of curiousity mate, what store were you managing? Obviously over east, but NSW/QLD/VIC?
Old 22-10-2010, 11:27 AM   #37
fat4D
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

In the ACT Weston creek store, it's crazy aldi is booming in the act. They have just built another and there is 2 more on the way. Congrats on getting into mckey, over the years I've done lots of deliveries the truckies are on the most part great blokes and had a bit to do with field consultants. Not sure of they implented it over there a while ago but ecosema (can't remember how is spelt) is a pain in the rear. What aldi store did you apply for?
Old 22-10-2010, 11:30 AM   #38
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by pottery beige
I thought coles was flybuys and woolies was that orange card...everyday rewards or something.
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Old 22-10-2010, 11:47 AM   #39
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Sorry mate im in management with your 'competitor' so i shop there.

Edit- fat4D if you dont mind me asking what do they pay are you allowed to disclose? PM me if you like
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
- Tuned by LS Tuning and Performance
Old 22-10-2010, 11:47 AM   #40
fat4D
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal
I thought coles was flybuys and woolies was that orange card...everyday rewards or something.
Yeah that's the way it works i'm fairly sure
Old 22-10-2010, 11:51 AM   #41
fat4D
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJM83
Sorry mate im in management with your 'competitor' so i shop there.
lol u stil do some of my shopping at woolies as aldi doesn't have everything, do u have a aldi near by that you do competitor checks on? It's so funny every tuesday mining these 2 woolies guys in suits come in and go around the store mainly meat/produce and record prices it's funny cause they always try and act casual. Where as when I go there to do it I walk aroud with pen and paper and write it down, it's funny the looks I get from the workers there... Even better when I smile and say G'day they don't know how to respond
Old 22-10-2010, 11:52 AM   #42
HLC
Audi S3

Quote:
In the ACT Weston creek store, it's crazy aldi is booming in the act. They have just built another and there is 2 more on the way. Congrats on getting into mckey, over the years I've done lots of deliveries the truckies are on the most part great blokes and had a bit to do with field consultants. Not sure of they implented it over there a while ago but ecosema (can't remember how is spelt) is a pain in the rear. What aldi store did you apply for?
Ah ok cool! In pretty sure the Act stores just got sold to a new licensee AFAIK anyway lol

Yeah ECOSIMA is still around and a pain, but we are rolling out a new ordering system for the back office computers ATM which is a precursor for Mckey doing automated ordering eventually. Massive growth and opportunity for both Maccas/mckey going on at the moment, hence the incentive to jump ship haha

Its a graduate program where they train you up to be an area manager. I lived put in western Sydney so would have been based out there probably. From what my dad tells me, aldi surpassed IGA a couple of years ago as the fastest growing supermarket chain. Definately something I would want to be a part of, great career opportunity!!!
Old 22-10-2010, 11:59 AM   #43
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by pottery beige
We havnt had it long. A lot of info gathered everytime you swipe your Everyday rewards card (EDR)

Quote:
do u have a aldi near by that you do competitor checks on?
Yeah mate and a coles and IGA.
- Antz Turboside Intake
Old 22-10-2010, 12:05 PM   #44
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
We havnt had it long. A lot of info gathered everytime you swipe your Everyday rewards card (EDR)

Yeah mate and a coles and IGA.
Do they log buying habits? Items? date you shop etc?
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Old 22-10-2010, 12:06 PM   #45
fat4D
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yeah the whole ordering system where it's only put in 24hrs before delivery for a lore accurate order correct? It was rumor when I left, don't suppos the guy who got the job your talking about wa either Matt or mark? Got a couple of trainee AM's floating around Canberra atm.

That's why I changed jobs, I'm a big believer in keeping my ear tobthe ground when i started working in the act for maccas I worked for a bloke who had 2 stores one good one bitvof a shot hole, kept the ear to the ground an I asked for a transfer to the crap store, 3 months later the store got a remodel and dales grew by 65% highest comp aust wide in 2008 the bloke bought another 2 stores and I then moved to one of the stores in the 18 months I was there I got rid of all but 3 of the original crew and ALL of the managers and the store had a 35% comp in that first 12 months I was there. And I've always kept an eye on Aldo and heard about the new stores in the ACT so moved over... Don't like sitting stil I'm a bit of a shaker and mover, I like going somewhere and shaking things up and leaving an impression
Old 22-10-2010, 12:27 PM   #46
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
Do they log buying habits? Items? date you shop etc?
Something along those lines
- Antz Turboside Intake
Old 22-10-2010, 12:36 PM   #47
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
yep thats the one.. Orange everyday card... rack up the points flying up and back to work then rack them up shopping.. Woolies is local nice and close to home...
Old 22-10-2010, 12:41 PM   #48
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I hardly ever shop there just hasn't got the range of products that woolies has I can never find all I want at Aldi

"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

Start a new career as a bus driver

Rides:
FG2 XR6 stock at this stage but a very nice ride

xc 4 DOOR X CHASER 5.8 UNDER RESTO
Old 22-10-2010, 12:45 PM   #49
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Something along those lines
Yeh sorta like the Tax Office watch where your money is spent....for your own good and protection of course

I really like Fry Buys, If I spend only another $100,000,000 I will be eligible for a standby one-way economy class ticket from Brisbane to Archerfield.
Old 22-10-2010, 12:52 PM   #50
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Be nice if ALDI had an express line, nothing worse than having a couple of things and being stuck behind three or four people with full trollies.
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
Old 22-10-2010, 12:54 PM   #51
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
Yeh sorta like the Tax Office watch where your money is spent....for your own good and protection of course

I really like Fry Buys, If I spend only another $100,000,000 I will be eligible for a standby one-way economy class ticket from Brisbane to Archerfield.
hehe and the suckers keep at it....just like I watch the people que up for fuel discounts don't you realise they took your 3-5c saving per litre with the goods you bought

Aldi - is good for certain items my wife says - nothing like having opposition/choices I say in this monopolised market.
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet. Abraham Lincoln"
Old 22-10-2010, 03:47 PM   #52
brismike
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6_661
I've heard that ALDI laptops are up there with the best of them too!
Yep .. I bought a Medion (Akoya) Laptop about 3 months ago for $899. A similar quality/features one in Dick Smith or JB HiFi would be about $1200.

It is very reliable and boots up very fast which is what I like.

My old laptop (Asus) used to take about 6 months to boot up lol.

Wife's - 2018 Peugeot 3008 Gtline, Pearl White - 6 Speed Auto - Fully Optioned.

My Toy - 2014 Smart Fortwo Passion Crystal White, Black Tridion Cell - 5 Speed Auto with Flappy Paddles - Tint - Twin Exhaust

The only good Commodore is the one now very very quickly disappearing in my rear view mirror.
Old 22-10-2010, 03:54 PM   #53
XRSEX
More money would be great

All ALDI laptops and desktops are MSI which are Not a bad brand.

I got a customer come in with a Medion Akoya Laptop and I asked her if she bought it from Aldi.

She told me no, that a friend from Sweden who had never been to an Aldi bought it from a local electronics shop!
Old 22-10-2010, 09:36 PM   #54
HLC
Audi S3

Quote:
Yeah the whole ordering system where it's only put in 24hrs before delivery for a lore accurate order correct? It was rumor when I left, don't suppos the guy who got the job your talking about wa either Matt or mark? Got a couple of trainee AM's floating around Canberra atm.

That's why I changed jobs, I'm a big believer in keeping my ear tobthe ground when i started working in the act for maccas I worked for a bloke who had 2 stores one good one bitvof a shot hole, kept the ear to the ground an I asked for a transfer to the crap store, 3 months later the store got a remodel and dales grew by 65% highest comp aust wide in 2008 the bloke bought another 2 stores and I then moved to one of the stores in the 18 months I was there I got rid of all but 3 of the original crew and ALL of the managers and the store had a 35% comp in that first 12 months I was there. And I've always kept an eye on Aldo and heard about the new stores in the ACT so moved over... Don't like sitting stil I'm a bit of a shaker and mover, I like going somewhere and shaking things up and leaving an impression
Yeah that's the gist of it man.

I can't quite remember the first name, I won't say the surname on here but it ends in 'man'. He's a good kid and very lucky.

And great stuff at Maccas mate. Definately the way to be. Looking for those opportunities and leaving your mark. I'm very much the same!! Good luck with it all. Certainly have your head screwed on!!
Old 22-10-2010, 09:42 PM   #55
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist

Exactly people still beleive that one day they will get something
- Antz Turboside Intake
Old 22-10-2010, 09:51 PM   #56
Bad Bird
Watts a panhard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6_661
I've heard that ALDI laptops are up there with the best of them too!
I have an ALDI desktop that is going on 10 years old now. Working very well too - when I pulled it apart it was specced quite decently, especially for the price.
Old 23-10-2010, 12:41 AM   #57
Linkachu
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

One of the managers at my store left to work at Aldi as a manager and hated it, she got so bored. Eventually came back to Maccas then left to go work at a servo lol.
Old 23-10-2010, 12:53 AM   #58
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
So a coupl if months ago I did a Career change, i'm only 21 and had spent my whole working life (6 years) busting my **** at maccas, I climbed the ladder there to a reataurant manager working for a bloke who owns 4 stores. Then just out of curiosity I applied for a job with ALDI to manage a store. I got this job so I took my certificates and left maccas and moved to ALDI.

Main point of this thread I'm interested in peoples opionions of ALDI most customers who have got used to the way things work think it's great save money and get good quality stuff. So the question is do u shop there why? Why not?

Cheers
Yes, and we shop at your store more often that not. Only product we've ever had a problem with is the Medion (I think) Bluray player - it just did not want to play normal DVDs. But the Medion DVD recorder for $49 is a ripper!

And the food is pretty good too.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
Old 23-10-2010, 02:18 AM   #59
fat4D
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC
Yes, and we shop at your store more often that not. Only product we've ever had a problem with is the Medion (I think) Bluray player - it just did not want to play normal DVDs. But the Medion DVD recorder for $49 is a ripper!

And the food is pretty good too.
yeah we have had a couple of them blu ray players cone back with that problem, infact don't suppos you returned it this week? I remember doing a return for one.

Should say hi next tine your there, I kinda live there atm been very busy learning everything
Old 23-10-2010, 05:38 PM   #60
terra australis
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

yes we shop at Aldi (lanyon). I do the woollies shop first for our cereal, pepsi max, tea bags and coffee. Then I walk across to Aldi with the woolies trolley and do an Aldi shop. We get all our meat, milk, pantry items at Aldi. I also get alot of the lunchbox fillers at Aldi as well.

My boys love the ice-blocks (20 pack) and the chocolate chip cookies. All the people that work at this store are lovely. If you only have a few items usually people will let you in.

The worst thing we have ever had from Aldi was the pasta sauce and the Bex light cereal (was like eating cardboard). Oh and my treat each week is the 79cent Turkish Delight YUMMY!!!!!!

HUBBIES CAR

2007 VW Passat TDI 125kw, leather, tint, bits of wood, fog lamps, 18' wheels, Granite
Closed Thread