Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 28-04-2011, 12:33 PM   #31
SEZ213
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always puts a good amount of thought into his posts and voices his ideas and opinions in a well thought out and constructive manner. I have certainly seen many threads where his input has been constructive to the topic and overall the forum has benfited f 
Default Re: Holden ute could capitalise on struggling US

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevz
That is only sedan vs sedan sales for 1 month, not total sales, which makes it a totally irrelevant point.
Exactly...it means stuff all who made the most of what - this is about exporting a ute...

Holden do their marketing so well...even we're talking about it.

Continually having a battle of wits with unarmed opponents.

Sez

Photo's by Sez
SEZ213 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-04-2011, 06:57 PM   #32
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sezzy
Exactly...it means stuff all who made the most of what - this is about exporting a ute...

Holden do their marketing so well...even we're talking about it.
Nobody talks about the Caprice PPV..........(Please Purchase our Vehicle)

I'm sure Holden has a showroom full of cars to export to USA but guess what?
With high fuel prices, they will all end up as dealer door stops because no one wants them....

So go right ahead Holden, export away.....
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-04-2011, 07:02 PM   #33
Windsor220
Now Fordless

Wouldnt it be near on impossible to export to the US with the current Aussie dollar?
Windsor220 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-04-2011, 07:07 PM   #34
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windsor220
Wouldnt it be near on impossible to export to the US with the current Aussie dollar?
It wouldnt make much sense....

Go on GM..do it, then they can list it next to the other financial export disasters involving GMH.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-04-2011, 07:09 PM   #35
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe5619
I think you are lost!!! Ford has NOT sold the most australian build cars for years & Years!! Toyota builds the most cars here. They have a biggest export market on locally built cars out of the 3 locals!! Yes, Toyota really does build more cars here than Ford & Holden!!

See above!!
Figures???
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-04-2011, 07:09 PM   #36
stevz
Banned

Quote:
The exports aren't due to start until 2014:
Quote:
Holden is believed to be waiting for the next major model update to the VE Commodore sedan, expected in about 2014, before making a fresh assault on the US market.
For all we know, by 2014 it could be back down to 60c, which would put them in a favourable position. I seriously doubt the dollar will stay at these heights for that long.
stevz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-04-2011, 07:23 PM   #37
Windsor220
Now Fordless

Quote:

For all we know, by 2014 it could be back down to 60c, which would put them in a favourable position. I seriously doubt the dollar will stay at these heights for that long.
So in other words they have no idea if they are going to export or not. Just another pointless article about GM brainstorming into the future. It probably wont happen and in 3 years no one will remember it was mentioned.

They may as well get their information from the local pub.
Old 28-04-2011, 07:29 PM   #38
stevz
Banned

Quote:
So in other words they have no idea if they are going to export or not. Just another pointless article about GM brainstorming into the future. It probably wont happen and in 3 years no one will remember it was mentioned.

They may as well get their information from the local pub.
Oh well, time will tell I guess. But successful or not, at least they are being proactive, rather than sitting on their hands doing nothing.
If the same article was about Ford I bet everybody would be singing their praises.
stevz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-04-2011, 07:35 PM   #39
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
Oh well, time will tell I guess. But successful or not, at least they are being proactive, rather than sitting on their hands doing nothing.
If the same article was about Ford I bet everybody would be singing their praises.
So if they are exporting at a loss this is being proactive? In the short term maybe...until there are bills to pay. Guess Obama will pick up the tab?
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-04-2011, 07:40 PM   #40
Windsor220
Now Fordless

Quote:
Everybody whinges that Ford arent being proactive. They are a major company of course they are going to be discussing every possibility like exports etc. Just because they dont come out to the media and tell them every possible scenario that may happen in the future doesnt mean they arent doing anything.
Old 28-04-2011, 08:53 PM   #41
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:

Only if the Americans start paying down their $14 trillion debt....Pfttt hahahahhahaha...as if......
Old 28-04-2011, 09:48 PM   #42
bigsta
Making superman jealous

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielXR8
For those who are critical of Holden, they survived through the liquidation of their parent company and the cancellation of an important export market. Despite that they remained number one in Australia, continued to export to other markets, looked for more opportunities for growth, launched a new mid size car program and have the biggest and most influential players in GM singing their praises.

Credit where it is due.

Ford Australia could do with a bit more of the support Holden gets from its parent and we as Ford fans should be asking for it. Ill informed comments like the recent ones from a Ford family member that Falcon wouldn't work in the US, because its too much like a Mondeo, should be shouted down by Ford fans, the media and our government.

Putting down Holden for being smart enough to find a way to turn its management into fans of the brand and their work,smacks of sour grapes.
Whats happening at Holden is bloody good news for Australia and good on them.

Dan

Totaly agree mate

also the old el camino was extremely popular in the states in the 70s and 80s the el camnino was basically a ute with a few goodies and the SS re-branded el camino would sell very very well there.

I really wish Ford oz would learn a thing or 2 from holden perhaps than they can get more $ and make better cars as their engineers have great ideas but rarely are they put into practice well and given the numbers sold you cant really blame em too much.

Falcon really should go to the states too, they would love that car and ford US dont have a RWD platform anymore.

2006 SY Territory Ghia AWD in ego with roof mount DVD, tints, 7 seats, iPod input

2005 Crewman Cross 8 with 350 cubic inches, AWD, black on black rims on black leather, tints and polished racks
NEW TOY Bayliner 185, inboard 3L 4 cylinder pushing us along at 50MPH whenever i get a chance

I love Aussie cars and are gonna really miss them soon.......
bigsta is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-04-2011, 09:51 PM   #43
naddis01
\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gobes32
Seems very small minded considering that the aussie ute is a declining segment as it struggles to adapt to modern needs. The dual cab is where it is at, as evident by VW's foray into that market.
I agree that dual cabs are where its at. I am at the stage of life where we have a growing family but I need a ute so a single cab 2 seater is no longer going to cut it, which means bye bye Falcon for me. Which is unfortunate as I really like the handling and comfort benefits of a car based ute.

Does anyone think the Crewman may have been more of a success if they made the tray around 100mm shorter to allow more space in the rear of the cabin?
naddis01 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-04-2011, 10:23 PM   #44
Gobes32
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by naddis01

Does anyone think the Crewman may have been more of a success if they made the tray around 100mm shorter to allow more space in the rear of the cabin?
If I had the choice between a 2004 Rodeo or 2004 Crewman, I would pick the Rodeo. 4WD just makes the car more useful, even if you never use it, you know it's there.
A G8E would be good if Ford marketed squarely at Calais V8 owners. They need to bring back the walking fingers like in the initial FG ads, but this time have the fingers crushing Calais' as they walk along, with some relaxing background Led Zeppelin music and Marcos Ambrose in stubbies and singlet driving it.
Gobes32 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-04-2011, 11:28 PM   #45
burnz
VFII SS UTE

the crewman was allso 4WD.
burnz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-04-2011, 11:29 PM   #46
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

AWD, not 4X4.

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-04-2011, 11:38 PM   #47
naddis01
\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gobes32
If I had the choice between a 2004 Rodeo or 2004 Crewman, I would pick the Rodeo. 4WD just makes the car more useful, even if you never use it, you know it's there.
Really? I would take the Crewman as I prefer to be able to drive the thing without needing to get my spine fused afterwards. That is assumming I was able to fit 2 child seats in the back - 1 rear facing.

I know when it comes time to update our RTV I would have loved to have a vehicle like the Crewman but with more rear legroom and a rear seat that is not vertical. As it is I will take all the then current dual cabs for a drive and will begrudgingly pick the best at the time.

Anyone I have talked to that own or were interested in a Crewman said its biggest flaw was the lack of rear cabin space and was the main reason they didn't buy one or get another.

Last edited by naddis01; 28-04-2011 at 11:43 PM.
naddis01 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-04-2011, 12:23 AM   #48
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Really? I would take the Crewman as I prefer to be able to drive the thing without needing to get my spine fused afterwards. That is assumming I was able to fit 2 child seats in the back - 1 rear facing.

I know when it comes time to update our RTV I would have loved to have a vehicle like the Crewman but with more rear legroom and a rear seat that is not vertical. As it is I will take all the then current dual cabs for a drive and will begrudgingly pick the best at the time.

Anyone I have talked to that own or were interested in a Crewman said its biggest flaw was the lack of rear cabin space and was the main reason they didn't buy one or get another.
Honestly the Asian utes are crap, I would take a Crewman any day of the week.
Brazen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-04-2011, 12:47 AM   #49
Gobes32
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I like the jacked up look of 4wd dual cabs. Personal preference really. In fact, if I won Tattslotto tomorrow, I would purchase a D40 Nissan Navara in a heartbeat.
A G8E would be good if Ford marketed squarely at Calais V8 owners. They need to bring back the walking fingers like in the initial FG ads, but this time have the fingers crushing Calais' as they walk along, with some relaxing background Led Zeppelin music and Marcos Ambrose in stubbies and singlet driving it.
Gobes32 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-04-2011, 01:04 AM   #50
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Really? I would take the Crewman as I prefer to be able to drive the thing without needing to get my spine fused afterwards.
This is why I won't buy anything other then a Falcon/Commo ute.

Driving these 4x4 ute's is very uncomfortable on long trips. This is why the RTV was such a great ute.
Old 29-04-2011, 02:00 AM   #51
sudszy
Banned

This is just my observation: all the holden utes nowadays seem to be purchased for pose value rather than functionality, low profile wheels, lowered etc and seem to be the vehicle of choice for the young apprentice or tradey.

I dont know how they go on getting on to tricky sites etc, where they need to drive over a gutter or two, but these vehicles look out of place anywhere but the boulevard. The real workman vehicles seem to be more of the rodeo style of thing.

Cant see that the current holden ute could substitute for a US style pickup which also is more functional and has the go anywhere type ruggidness to it.
sudszy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-04-2011, 01:45 PM   #52
ray38l

^ i live in a mining town and most of the cashed up young guys buy ss utes. For them its the perfect car because they don't have kids. Most of them will only use the tray for motor bikes which they can still do if its lowered on 20's.
If the ute does go to the states they shouldn't use the el camino name because it won't live up to the image that people with rose coloured glasses on have of it. They need to market it as a lifestyle vehicle for young guys.
ray38l is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-04-2011, 02:07 PM   #53
Ryan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevypower
I think the Falcon and Commodore sedans could work in the US, I just don't think the utes will be that popular. For the sedans to work, they need to compete directly with the new Charger (and needs to be better), so it needs retro styling, and iconic names. Falcon might work, but Commodore should be changed to Chevelle or something like that. It has to look muscular and masculine. It needs to be a 4 door sports car, not a RWD large family car that blends in with the crowd. Anything short of that will not work well, in my opinion.
Coupe 60 as the new Chevelle SS? I know you said a 4 door, but the Coupe 60 as a new Chevelle would have me sold.

By all accounts if GM were to go with Chevelle branding I think it should be a 2 door. That's all I think of when I think of the original Chevelles.
Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-04-2011, 03:05 PM   #54
Buntz
Straight Eight

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevypower
I think the Falcon and Commodore sedans could work in the US, I just don't think the utes will be that popular. For the sedans to work, they need to compete directly with the new Charger (and needs to be better), so it needs retro styling, and iconic names. Falcon might work, but Commodore should be changed to Chevelle or something like that. It has to look muscular and masculine. It needs to be a 4 door sports car, not a RWD large family car that blends in with the crowd. Anything short of that will not work well, in my opinion.
Falcon could make it in America. But to make it there, at the cost we sell it for here.... it'd have to wear a lincoln badge.

It would make a great come back for the Lincoln Versailles. Or Continental.
Old 29-04-2011, 04:36 PM   #55
castellan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

Yep right you are !
A falcon crewman would sell in the USA and they will have to down size the way the country is heading.
The current dual cabs are shocking backward junk, just look at the seats what rubbish. look at the rubbish rear springs just rubbish.
castellan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-04-2011, 06:25 PM   #56
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

The Colorado/Rodeo dual cab actually rides quite nice I reckon.
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-04-2011, 06:39 PM   #57
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by castellan
Yep right you are !
A falcon crewman would sell in the USA and they will have to down size the way the country is heading.
The current dual cabs are shocking backward junk, just look at the seats what rubbish. look at the rubbish rear springs just rubbish.
The next gen of dual cabs (which includes the T6/new Ford Ranger) are going to radically change this.

Also, the 'crewman' Falcon ute has been done. Remember the R5 ute concept?

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-04-2011, 07:27 PM   #58
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buntz93ED
Falcon could make it in America. But to make it there, at the cost we sell it for here.... it'd have to wear a lincoln badge.

It would make a great come back for the Lincoln Versailles. Or Continental.
The only way a "Falcon" would get to America is to build it alongside the Mustang at Flat Rock,
it's just not economic to build them here and export there and if Holden had any brains they would
get GMNA to build Commodore and Caprice alongside Camaro at Oshawa, Canada.
Old 29-04-2011, 07:41 PM   #59
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80
The only way a "Falcon" would get to America is to build it alongside the Mustang at Flat Rock,
it's just not economic to build them here and export there and if Holden had any brains they would
get GMNA to build Commodore and Caprice alongside Camaro at Oshawa, Canada.

Wasn't that the original plan. Export for a bit and when it gets popular start building in large numbers over there.
Old 29-04-2011, 08:14 PM   #60
IDT
Marko

Quote:
So true. The rest of this thread is irrelevant whilst thier economy is in tatters.

If money was the deciding factor why would you buy a ute that carries next to nothing anyway.

A sheet of Ply doesn't even fit in the back of a holden (or Ford) ute. If they wanted smaller cheaper to buy cheaper to run work vehicles they would buy a toyota drop side ute.

As work vehicles go both falcon and commodore utes are rubbish by comparison.