Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 16-12-2007, 12:26 PM   #31
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter
This is technically true but I'm not exactly gonna go around measuring the exact OD of my tyres to the millimeter am I? Aside from the fact that a difference in tyre pressure can also affect your speedo accuracy. There's a reason the ADRs call for a tolerance level and there's a reason why most reasonable people would understand the need for it.

Its patently ridiculous to suggest that I need to constantly ensure my tyres have the right OD and dead on the right pressure every single day of the week.

Of course if the government wishes to pay for us to all buy highly accurate and very expensive speed measuring equipment then by all means. And they can also pay to have it calibrated every month...
it is illegal these days for car manufacturers to have a speedo reading slower than road speed. ADR's give them a tolerance of around 10% under the limit but 0% over. therefore it will only be out if you have altered the car from how it left the factory. this then becomes your problem.

the speedo on newer cars is no longer driven from the gearbox either apparently so wheel diameter no longer affects it.

i realise not everybody is driving around in new cars but i stand by what i said earlier. the onus is on the owner/driver of the car to make sure it is roadworthy/legal. ignorance will not hold up in court.

1kph is a bit steep but fmc351 raises a valid point. if she said they would allow a 10% tolerance, the majority of drivers would drive at 66 instead of 60, 110 instead of 100 etc etc.
prydey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-12-2007, 12:40 PM   #32
fmc351
let it burn

Quote:
Originally Posted by irish2
So how many accidents / fatal accidents are there on the story bridge per day if there is such a massive amount of speeding vehicles? I haven't heard of one fatal accident there all year.
And you would hear of all accident involving injury?

There doesnt have to be a death for there to be an issue.
fmc351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-12-2007, 12:46 PM   #33
huggiebear
Mr. Multiple Projects

not just the story bridge tho, just north of it on thursday a semi rolled and blocked north and south, there was also 2 accidents at the same time all in my opinion involved speeding from someone, the roads were backed up for hours.

then a few weeks back there was the gas bottle delivery guy who was incenerated at burpengary/kalangur 2 minutes away from the speed camera, they didnt say what happened but ended in a head on between him and another car... there is heaps of speeding, i had a truck doing well over 120 past me the other night altho they suposed to have a 100kph speed limiter alot of companies bypass it
2004 Forester Turbo
2006 Corolla Wagon BLAAAAAAACK
huggiebear is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-12-2007, 01:17 PM   #34
The Lone Ranger
My young fella "Paddy"

Quote:
Originally Posted by irish2
So how many accidents / fatal accidents are there on the story bridge per day if there is such a massive amount of speeding vehicles? I haven't heard of one fatal accident there all year.
Thursday night. Fatal.
The Lone Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-12-2007, 01:47 PM   #35
Zed7fiddy
Temporary Australian

I always travel slowy going past there, a there used to ALWAYS mobile units, it seems from now on ill be doing 100 as i go past, nice, slow and holding up traffic
Zed7fiddy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-12-2007, 02:29 PM   #36
Mercury 8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Heh, they've had mobile operators sited there for literally years.

Also note that there is one on the Story Bridge (not sure which direction) and there is also one supposed to go on the Tarragindi exit of the SE Freeway/M1.
Inbound from the southside where Shaftston amd Mains Rd merge,no sign either as yet.
Mercury 8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-12-2007, 03:23 PM   #37
burnz
VFII SS UTE

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey

the speedo on newer cars is no longer driven from the gearbox either apparently so wheel diameter no longer affects it.
the car roll's on wheel's it is the only contact with the road,
it must measure tire Pi via differential ratio.
burnz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-12-2007, 06:50 PM   #38
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnz
not sure on all makes but ba/f's are measured through the abs sensor or something. only found out myself just recently.
Old 16-12-2007, 07:02 PM   #39
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnz
What? Care to explain that?

The speedo on older cars runs off the gearbox, and the gearing to drive it is dependant on a set diff ratio and tyre/wheel combo. if either is changed, then the speedo will not show the correct speed (could be up, could be down). On BAs onwards, and probably even Holdens too, the speedo runs off something that is a constant diameter and the speed it rotates at is the speed the car is doing - it's attached to the ABS sender/ring thing.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-12-2007, 08:45 PM   #40
burnz
VFII SS UTE

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC

The speedo on older cars runs off the gearbox, and the gearing to drive it is dependant on a set diff ratio and tyre/wheel combo. if either is changed, then the speedo will not show the correct speed (could be up, could be down). On BAs onwards, and probably even Holdens too, the speedo runs off something that is a constant diameter and the speed it rotates at is the speed the car is doing - it's attached to the ABS sender/ring thing.
irrelavent need tire diameter.
abs still measure's tire movement. still need's tire diameter.
tire's contact the road period!
unless you have radar/satnav.... must measure tire dia
Old 16-12-2007, 09:18 PM   #41
burnz
VFII SS UTE

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey
not sure on all makes but ba/f's are measured through the abs sensor or something. only found out myself just recently.
sorry arseabout.
read post40
Old 16-12-2007, 09:24 PM   #42
burnz
VFII SS UTE

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC

sorry re:read my post 37 it is self explaining.

it must measure tire Pi via differential ratio.IE 15"/60 serie 3.1415 divide 3.45:1
box = tail shaft speed no difference if o/d or 1:1
Old 17-12-2007, 12:03 AM   #43
scoupedy

man i'm already sick of this female premier first she wants to clean up the boob flashing at indy now this,
what a
scoupedy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-12-2007, 12:17 AM   #44
cupic
Nikon

Quote:
Originally Posted by huggiebear
to all who use the M1... the burpengary speed camera at the weigh bridge heading north is now working so i found out tonight. even 1kph it goes off. so drive with due care

1 kph things are getting short in Qld these days
cupic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-12-2007, 03:30 AM   #45
exrtnz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Just gotta fight back , everyone should disput there tickets and see how quickly they get thrown out.
Old 17-12-2007, 06:49 AM   #46
fmc351
let it burn

Quote:
Originally Posted by cupic
1 kph things are getting short in Qld these days
Its wrong, the tolerance is not just 1km/h. Its been posted a couple of times, I even quoted Judy Spence who is accused of making the statement. She never said that the tolerance is only 1km/h.

She suggested people should drive with the assumption it is only 1km/h, and refused to state the actual tolerance so people arent inclined to try and add it to their regular speed. i.e: She doesnt want to encourage driving at 66 in 60 zones, 110 in 100 zones.

C'mon its English, its supposed to be the national language. At least try.
Old 17-12-2007, 08:17 AM   #47
red_hotxr6
Banned

Doesnt this just smack of revenue raising.?You cant tell me that every car has a perfect speedo reading, even the new ones, and for the older cars there is going to be a slight difference. And to be caught 1k over is silly, surely they should have given this a little more thought...oh wait they did, they want more money...
red_hotxr6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-12-2007, 12:26 PM   #48
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by red_hotxr6
Doesnt this just smack of revenue raising.?You cant tell me that every car has a perfect speedo reading, even the new ones, ...
it has been illegal for a few years now for a car to be manufactured with a speedo error reading slower than the actual road speed.

if you get done for doing 65 in a 60 zone there is every possibility your speedo was actually showing much closer to 70.

its human nature to keep pushing the envelope. if she came out and said there would be a 10% tolerance then what speed do you reckon people would sit on. it wouldn't be the one on the sign with the red ring around it thats for sure.

why do you think govt's lower speed limits in urban areas and built up areas? they are fully aware that to get people to drive closer to 60 they need to have it signposted a lot less for all the slow learners and ignorant drivers.
Old 17-12-2007, 12:40 PM   #49
atec77
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Well I always thought we did. Officially there is a tolerance but they won't say what it is. I've always understood it was 10% of the posted limited. I've been past cameras doing slightly over (say 65 in 60 zone) and not been pinged. Having said that, the minister did say on the news last night that it is now a 1 km/h tolerance which in my opinion is bullshit. But it also makes me not want to drive on those routes because tyre pressure and wear can literally put your speedo out by 1km. I calculated that my current tyres put my speedo under by 2% meaning I'm doing 2% faster than what it says. No doubt they've worn a bit now so its probably more accurate but even so... 1 km/h is not a lot of room for error.
If the minister did indeed say 1kph then apart from being wrong express your views at the election , complaciency your name is Qld Labor .
atec77 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-12-2007, 04:19 PM   #50
red_hotxr6
Banned

I quite understand that, but if there was something wrong with the speedo....you fitted a different brand of tyre...or for god,s sake changed the cd song at the wrong time and applied enough pressure to the accelerator to put you that " 1k" over, wups no tolerance, $70.00 thank you...
Old 17-12-2007, 08:18 PM   #51
Pinch
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Whilst I have always been pretty good watching my speed, I have to give a plug for GPS units.

My last speeding fine was in 2002 for under 15 over when I hit the cruise 'resume' (still set at 110 from freeway) instead of hitting 'set' when I hit 100. In NSW. Stupid mistake, especially near the NSW Policy Academy. D'oh.

GPS units now are the bizzo in the keeping my eyes on the road and not the speedo stakes though. My Mio c520 can have a split screen with near as dammit real time speed tracking in digital or analog speedo, coupled with speed zones on most major roads and audible alerts when approaching a camera - siren type sound if over speed, dropping to beep at or under speed. You have to be ignoring it to get pinged. I bought it for my wife because I got sick of her ringing up asking me to get directions, but this speed thing is worth its weight in gold alone! Can concentrate on driving now. They also show up the conservative nature of car speed readings for reasons mentioned above. Here is a few examples, at an indicated 100 on the speedo the BA XR is doing a real road speed of 96, the Sportsman 98, my MY07 Forester XT 92, and the grand champion, a friends Elantra ticks over at 91kph at an indicated 100. Might explain that 65 in 60 free for all.
Pinch is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-12-2007, 08:38 PM   #52
atec77
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by huggiebear
not just the story bridge tho, just north of it on thursday a semi rolled and blocked north and south, there was also 2 accidents at the same time all in my opinion involved speeding from someone, the roads were backed up for hours.

then a few weeks back there was the gas bottle delivery guy who was incenerated at burpengary/kalangur 2 minutes away from the speed camera, they didnt say what happened but ended in a head on between him and another car... there is heaps of speeding, i had a truck doing well over 120 past me the other night altho they suposed to have a 100kph speed limiter alot of companies bypass it
The largest problem now around Brisbane is congestion , some of the worst on the eastern seaboard , now explain to me how cruising at 140 at 3 am on the gateway is unsafe ?
it might be exceeding the limit but it aint "speeding"
atec77 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-12-2007, 02:49 AM   #53
fmc351
let it burn

Quote:
I quite understand that, but if there was something wrong with the speedo....you fitted a different brand of tyre...or for god,s sake changed the cd song at the wrong time and applied enough pressure to the accelerator to put you that " 1k" over, wups no tolerance, $70.00 thank you...
But its not 1km, so it doesnt matter. There is a tolerance, youre just not being told what it is, nor should you be.

As for speedo changes, tyre changes, youre still required to keep within specifications for RWC. If you did change the speedo for example to an aftermarket speco, it would be wise to make sure its calibrated for your setup.

If you alter tyre size, then make sure you recalibrate the speedo correctly. If you just guess it, its your fault if you get caught.

If you cant change CD song without effecting the pedals, you probably should be on a bus. If your eyes leave the road, your foot should at the very least, come OFF the tall pedal.
Quote:
Originally Posted by atec77
it might be exceeding the limit but it aint "speeding"
:

It may not be bumper to bumper, but just because its 3am doesnt mean the unexpected cant happen.
Old 18-12-2007, 08:27 AM   #54
red_hotxr6
Banned

Yes it is 1k over. She said so on the fixed cameras, at burpengary and kangaroo point, forget where the 3rd is.At least with an operator it was a leeway of 5ks..
Old 18-12-2007, 08:56 AM   #55
fmc351
let it burn

Quote:
Yes it is 1k over. She said so on the fixed cameras, at burpengary and kangaroo point, forget where the 3rd is.At least with an operator it was a leeway of 5ks..
No she didnt. I even posted the article where she is quoted in reference to the cameras. Read the context, not simply one line.

She said there is tolerance, she said we dont discuss that tolerance, she said drivers doing 1km over can expect they MAY be fined.

In other words, we are not telling you the tolerance, we dont want drivers adding that to the speed limit. What we are saying is, its probably best if you assume there is no tolerance.

Theres a huge difference to that, and what is being repeatedly claimed in here.

Quote:
The Government has refused to say whether it will allow any tolerance above the 60km/h speed limit. Other states are believed to apply a tolerance of about 10 per cent.

"There is a tolerance level but we don't talk about the tolerance level," Police Minister Judy Spence said.

"Any Queenslander who is going more than 1km/h over the speed limit, they are likely to be fined.
Old 18-12-2007, 11:30 AM   #56
red_hotxr6
Banned

Well in that case if its the same 5ks leeway oh well said and done.And maybe it wasnt her, but the person that spoke before she came on that said it was 1k over and you will pay, do you have that little episode as well, cause some one said it...
Old 18-12-2007, 12:43 PM   #57
Neoxr6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

yes she did say 1kph over but it was in context, read the words for what they are, she said there is a tolerance, but if you drive OVER the speed limit expect to be fined. most car read faster than what you are traveling anyway.

'11 Nissan Navara D22 2.5L pickup!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by protd
because it looks gay, not just gay but mardi gra gay
Neoxr6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-12-2007, 01:11 PM   #58
El Venom
normality is boring
Donating Member1

The government aint stupid. They mentioned that wit the systems and procedures in place if someone was to try fight the fine in court they had done the right things to make it stick. So you would assume that they have taken in to account the dot rule they have on modifications. My speedo is most likely out, but by not continueously driving like an idiot I have managed to not be fine or pulled over in my car and it isnt like my car blends and screams out "hey look I am a stock car". There is a time and place for everything, but if it turns out to be 1km over and your done, then you should be able to screw them over due to there other rules and regs.

Factory v8 with turbonetics 67mm turbo, haltech ecu, aeromotive and raceworks fuel system, cobra intake and a few custom bits thrown in
El Venom is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-12-2007, 03:47 PM   #59
red_hotxr6
Banned

They have gone to the trouble to point out that these 3 cameras, are not like the other ones used in the police vans, there is no tolerance otherwise why not just say that " we have placed an additional 3 cameras in these positions." end of story. But all in all with only 3 years of driving behind me, knock knock, i have not lost a point yet.....fingers crossed...
Old 18-12-2007, 04:18 PM   #60
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by El_Venom
The government aint stupid.
Hi, welcome to Queensland. We like all our new visitors to have a great time up here however there are many realities you will learn over your stay that may contradict your current thinking..........
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post