Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 17-12-2007, 09:00 PM   #31
Ives
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If the Focus RS want to compete with the Evo X and STi, they would have to use AWD system.
Ives is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-12-2007, 09:14 PM   #32
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ives
If the Focus RS want to compete with the Evo X and STi, they would have to use AWD system.
Agreed. I would never pay that sort of money for a FWD car! Especially since I own an AWD at the moment.
MITCHAY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-12-2007, 09:28 PM   #33
martO
meh

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For his efforts in creating the monthly Photoshop competitions and advice/tips on how to use Photoshop. 

That thing is just plain sexy. :sm_drool:

Looks better then an EVO X I reckon, but smashes the WRX for looks. Can't wait to see the whole thing!

Hmmm, Typhoon next .. or FPV F5.
Old 17-12-2007, 09:48 PM   #34
photn
AFF Post NAZI

I highly Doubt it will be AWD. Yes i know its great to HAVE AWD and all that and it would be a great seller.

But the previous Focus RS had FWD only and munched a Subie Imprezza around the track. straight line the Subie was a clear winner. but in terms of handling the previous version was 50x better.

I daresay that they wont use AWD. but rather realisticly just use the current XR5T platform that they have already working for them and just do the changes.

Like seriously guy think about it. when have ford ever done anything we have ever wanted to be done to a car??? Fat chance theyll start now.

If FOMOCO AU is on the ball they would release this the same time they release it World wide. though i doubt (they MIGHT!!!) but i doubt they will and will probably just wait a few years like they have done with the XR5T( Focus ST225) and the Fiesta XR4 (Fiesta ST150). Or just not bring it here AT ALL...

dont mean to put a downer on the celebrations. i myself want one and will SAVE my *** off for one.

But i have my doubts from ford previous record...

Still loving the piccies thouhg.

photn is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-12-2007, 10:53 PM   #35
kocho
The Futuriser

That looks amazing. The pumped arches look fantastic.

Previous 2003 BA Ford Futura.

CKGD - Freelance Graphic Designer
kocho is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-12-2007, 10:53 PM   #36
marcosambrose

Im pretty sure it will be AWD using the Volvo AWD system as mentioned before, its been worked on by M-Sport (Ford Rallye's tuning division) and i think those pics are com-gens and may look quite different.

all this info is taken from chitchat on fordeurope.net.
marcosambrose is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-12-2007, 11:11 PM   #37
Ives
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by photn
But the previous Focus RS had FWD only and munched a Subie Imprezza around the track..
But which one The LR Focus RS would munch Impreza GX, RS, and maybe WRX.... but WRX STi? I dont think so. The STi has more power & more grip (AWD and MUCH better tyres).
Old 18-12-2007, 12:42 AM   #38
AusM
AusMotorsport

AWD has been strongly expected in rumours since July...

Here is some 'first hand' wording. The 'no-compromise' part and all the rally references, you would think that it would have to be AWD?

Quote:
"With two consecutive Manufacturers' World Rally Championship titles under our belt, the time is right to create a new Focus RS," said John Fleming, Ford of Europe's President and CEO. "With the Fiesta and Focus ST models, Jost and his team have proved already that they can deliver exciting and practical performance road cars. The success of these models, combined with Jost's experience in motorsport and Ford of Europe's positive business results, mean that we now have a credible business case for a no-compromise Focus RS roadcar for more enthusiastic drivers."

The basic concept for a new Focus RS has been under development within Ford Team RS under Capito's leadership for some months already. Now that the programme has been given the 'green light', Capito and his team will be concentrating fully on this programme.

"We have reviewed our technical options and worked closely with the Design team on how the car might look, and I'm very excited by the results," said Jost Capito, "Now with the programme going ahead, the hard work really starts as the small team working on the project takes the car from prototype to production."

Stay Tuned
Ford of Europe will not reveal any of the technical details of the new Focus RS until closer to launch in 2009. The company plans to show a concept version of the car publicly for the first time in mid-2008.

"We will use the redesigned 2008 Focus ST as the base for a no-compromise RS model that will become the ultimate road-going Focus," Capito added. "Just as the Focus RS WRC owns the rally circuit, we want the new Focus RS to own the road, so we have the major competitors in our sights as we develop the car's performance, design, handling and braking."

"We're not ready to confirm any of the technical details of the new Focus RS yet - Jost and his team have a lot to do to finalise the exact specification and styling," said Fleming. "But make no mistake, I can assure you that ultimately, the car we plan to launch will be worthy of wearing the coveted Ford RS badge."
AusM is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-12-2007, 09:22 AM   #39
Disciple
Banned

FWD with limited slip diff, priced at around $65k for the base model is my guess. If it's AWD, it'll be aweful heavy - but EVO X and new STi are porkers too.
Disciple is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-12-2007, 09:38 AM   #40
Piotr
Non-Regular Member

The new STI is 1500kg, the focus ST is 1380kg so it can gain 120kg. IF they sell it for $65k they won't sell seeing as a new STI is 56k
Old 18-12-2007, 09:48 AM   #41
Xitdxr
1.8 Turbo baby

From everything i ahve read its AWD. and if it was to make its way into the FPV stable as we assume it will, i reckon odds on it will be slightly more expensive than the HSV astra.
Xitdxr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-12-2007, 10:21 AM   #42
Disciple
Banned

I formed my price from the fact that the base Focus RS in Europe will be $25k pounds = $58,500 AUD. Hopefully it's AWD because there's nothing wrong with competition, ultimately we, the consumer will win.
Disciple is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-12-2007, 10:38 AM   #43
Fev
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

looks like one of those cars you could run up to and hump the quarter panels with looks mean cant wait to see one on the road
Fev is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-12-2007, 11:41 AM   #44
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Hell yeah.

Ford have been testing the 2.5 T from the Volvo S60R and AWD for years, great to see its finally going into production. In the S60R it made 220kw.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-12-2007, 11:51 AM   #45
Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucknaked
Don't like the front bar.
But I love the wheels ;)
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-12-2007, 12:06 PM   #46
Scott

Here it is a little brighter around the front bar:
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-12-2007, 12:14 PM   #47
kooky
WRX terrorist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piotr
The new STI is 1500kg, the focus ST is 1380kg so it can gain 120kg. IF they sell it for $65k they won't sell seeing as a new STI is 56k
No, the new STi is rumored to be over 60K over 70K for the one with all the fruit.

And with regard to AWD/FWD I would like to see ford try and restrain a 280hp front driver steerer, the Astra turbo has 190kw (260hp?) and that tourque steers like a pig.
Old 18-12-2007, 03:34 PM   #48
Fev
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

that front bar looks like some big gaping shark jaws
Fev is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-12-2007, 04:43 PM   #49
MAGPIE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
With two consecutive Manufacturers' World Rally Championship titles under our belt, the time is right to create a new Focus RS
Yet it won't be out until 2009 _

Quote:
Just as the Focus RS WRC owns the rally circuit, we want the new Focus RS to own the road
WTF winning two manufacturers titles doesn't equal "owning the rally circuit"

Winning four drivers titles in a row might though

If they can create a true rival to the Evo/STi I will be happy, if they create another half pie effort like the last one then there is no hope for them.

Last edited by MAGPIE; 18-12-2007 at 04:44 PM. Reason: spelling
MAGPIE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-12-2007, 04:50 PM   #50
ClevlndStemer
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAGPIE

WTF winning two manufacturers titles doesn't equal "owning the rally circuit"

Winning four drivers titles in a row might though
Yes and No, the manufacturer championship shows how good the car/team is during the season, whereas the drivers championship shows the driver's and team's consistency over the season.
"...remember that, even when those who move you be kings or men of power, your soul is in your keeping alone. When you stand before God you cannot say "but I was told by others to do thus" or that "virtue was not convenient at the time. This will not suffice..."
ClevlndStemer is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-12-2007, 05:26 PM   #51
MAGPIE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClevlndStemer
Yes and No, the manufacturer championship shows how good the car/team is during the season
No doubt they have performed well over the past two seasons, but "owned it" I think not !

If they had won drivers & manufacturers titles maybe they could claimed to have "owned the rally circuit"

They haven't won the drivers title since 1981
Old 18-12-2007, 05:39 PM   #52
ClevlndStemer
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yeah that's true, I wasn't agreeing with them or disagreeing. They could have worded it better but isn't that what marketing is all about ;)
"...remember that, even when those who move you be kings or men of power, your soul is in your keeping alone. When you stand before God you cannot say "but I was told by others to do thus" or that "virtue was not convenient at the time. This will not suffice..."
ClevlndStemer is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-12-2007, 06:57 PM   #53
FordFella
Hoon (I wish!)

AWD is needed - without it bears no relation to the rally car! I'm sure that with AWD the sales will be double that of the last model. Without it, you've got the Ford Pig - an understeering pig that will hurt Fords RS division.

: If only I were old enough :
FordFella is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-12-2007, 08:02 PM   #54
marcosambrose

It will have AWD, dont doubt this... Ford have been yes-no'ing this thing for years and now they have finally yes'd it they are definitely not going to do a half arsed job.

the Mk1 Focus RS was a little uncooked in some regards, but the MkII ST or XR5 is a gem... just think how mean this new RS package is going to be!
marcosambrose is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-12-2007, 11:08 PM   #55
Force6

Weren't there spyshots not long ago of Ford testing/calibrating the AWD system? I have no doubt it will be AWD, and a rexxy killer!
Force6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-12-2007, 11:09 PM   #56
Ives
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Force6
I have no doubt it will be AWD, and a rexxy killer!
It doesnt take much to kill an STi these days tho
Old 18-12-2007, 11:49 PM   #57
AusM
AusMotorsport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Force6
Weren't there spyshots not long ago of Ford testing/calibrating the AWD system?
July spyshots from Car magazine >

Quote:
I have no doubt it will be AWD, and a rexxy killer!
Handling-wise I think Ford have a lot to beat. Stats on paper for power should be an easier task but will the i5 hold the torque all the way up to 7000rpm like the boxer? I think it won't, but it will power-on earlier, which some may consider more useful for everday driving. That said, next year's STI is heavier and slower than this year's... so who knows. The STI and EvoX are also becoming dearer. If Ford cut the weight down (FPV - no more +30kg power seats please!), put in some decent, low seating and get the pedals right for a drivers car it has a chance IMO.

However it comes out, I'm sure it can be modded into a beast in any case! Group B may live again!!!
AusM is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-12-2007, 09:09 AM   #58
MAGPIE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ives
It doesnt take much to kill an STi these days tho
All you need to be is a keyboard warrior with a fully Fiesta/Polo/Golf and you've got those STi's licked _

So this ghost RS should have no problems
Old 20-12-2007, 04:58 PM   #59
Ives
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAGPIE
All you need to be is a keyboard warrior with a fully Fiesta/Polo/Golf and you've got those STi's licked _
Way to go on taking things out of context. _
Old 20-12-2007, 08:45 PM   #60
merlin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

looks ok - will reserve judgment depending on what they want to charge for it though.
1966 Ford Mustang coupe. 347 stroker, PA reverse manual C4, TCE high stall converter, B&M Pro Ratchet, Edelbrock alum heads, Edelbrock intake manifold, MSD ignition, Holley Street HP 750 CFM carb, gilmer drive, wrapped Hooker Super Comp Headers, dual 3" straight through exhaust, Bilstein shocks, custom springs, full poly suspension, American Racing rims, Open Tracker roller spring saddles and shelby drop.

Still to go - Holley Sniper EFI with integrated fuel cell.
merlin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post