Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 30-03-2017, 03:39 PM   #31
LG17
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Cyclone Debbie.

That's the trouble Cav - there's so much "guesswork" involved.
The meteorologists can only use the info available which usually has at least half a dozen scenarios.
LG17 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-03-2017, 06:23 PM   #32
DJR-351
I am Groot
Donating Member3

Meanwhile in Bundy the wind has basically died down with just the odd scattered shower. Wind speed here peaked around lunchtime with winds around the high 40's to low 50's, gusting to the low 80's, and so far had about 60mm of rain (since 9am, Bundy Airport) no where near as bad as the poor buggers up north.....

So now we wait to see if the flood warnings for the Burnett River come to fruition, the warning is for moderate flooding only, which we hope is right as we are sitting on our boat at Bundaberg Port Marina, don't want a repeat of 2013....
DJR-351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 30-03-2017, 07:38 PM   #33
LG17
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

She up and left here about 2 hours ago.
We ended up with 68mm of rain and no wind. The rain helps but doesn't get us out of the drought.
Old 30-03-2017, 08:14 PM   #34
DJR-351
I am Groot
Donating Member3

This popped up on a sailing forum I frequent, gotta love live tv and gotta love the old boy, you can see the interviewer doing some fast thinking.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mrJSPIQv7o8
4 users like this post:
Old 30-03-2017, 08:21 PM   #35
4stanger
Powered By EcoBoost

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cav View Post

It seems Debbie went around us, fortunately. A lot of locals were spooked because of Yasi a couple of years ago when Yap-Hoon copped a hammering.
Where the hell is Yap-Hoon?
If you mean Yeppoon, the locals would have been talking about Cyclone Marcia, Cyclone Yasi didn't come near Yeppoon. Marcia was a cat 5 when it cross the coast just north of Yeppoon, but was smaller in area compared to Debbie and moved a lot quicker.
We've had plenty of rain and wind here in Rockhampton the last couple of days (nothing compared to up north), we now have to wait a week later for all the flood water coming our way down the Fitzroy river.
4stanger is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 30-03-2017, 08:46 PM   #36
Cav
HUGH JARSE
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4stanger View Post
Where the hell is Yap-Hoon?
If you mean Yeppoon, the locals would have been talking about Cyclone Marcia, Cyclone Yasi didn't come near Yeppoon. Marcia was a cat 5 when it cross the coast just north of Yeppoon, but was smaller in area compared to Debbie and moved a lot quicker.
We've had plenty of rain and wind here in Rockhampton the last couple of days (nothing compared to up north), we now have to wait a week later for all the flood water coming our way down the Fitzroy river.
I'm just a blow in.

Recently purchased a home in Yap-Hoon.

Am I spelling it wrong?
Cav is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
7 users like this post:
Old 30-03-2017, 09:09 PM   #37
LG17
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJR-351 View Post
This popped up on a sailing forum I frequent, gotta love live tv and gotta love the old boy, you can see the interviewer doing some fast thinking.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mrJSPIQv7o8
Saw that!
****ed myself laughing.
Old 31-03-2017, 10:37 AM   #38
DJR-351
I am Groot
Donating Member3

Last edited by DJR-351; 11-05-2017 at 10:05 PM.
Old 31-03-2017, 10:46 AM   #39
baboon
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: went to the trouble of posting up some great Vids of the AFF drag meet 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJR-351 View Post
That really is a monster storm for it to blow QLD down to the Tasmania area!

....some Vics would not see anything wrong with that map?
baboon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 31-03-2017, 11:21 AM   #40
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

I for one do hope there is not a repeat of 2011 for Brisbane, GC and FN NSW regions.

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic
blueoval is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-03-2017, 02:32 PM   #41
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Well...move to QLD they say, its great weather they say...

We bailed to Collinsville which still got hit. Nearly got stuck there as the roads were flooding over. Got back to Bowen and the house is fine.

It was the freakin massive storm afterwards that did the most to us, bit of flooding through the back of the house.

But we are dry, safe and there is literally an army trying to get power on. But its a bloody mess all around.

In a feat of good luck Ergon has setup camp around the corner and my house seems to be sharing their genset...w00t.

So we a madly cleaning, putting TV on for the kids for a bit etc until they turn it off. Then we go third world again, only just got water back too.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-03-2017, 08:15 PM   #42
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My mate was preparing for his cyclone cherry to be popped in Townsville but not even a fart there in the end thankfully.

The videos are insane so I can't imagine actually being there.

The cyclone was bad enough but the flooding has added more pain and unfortunately some poor lady has died.

Sadly it may be the case there are many more because they are working a backlog of calls now which they couldn't attend.

I have to say there are so many idiots doing dumb **** in floodwaters. I'd let them suffer their consequences of their stupidity myself but lucky for them there are better people than me.
MITCHAY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-03-2017, 09:50 PM   #43
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by MITCHAY View Post

I have to say there are so many idiots doing dumb **** in floodwaters. I'd let them suffer their consequences of their stupidity myself but lucky for them there are better people than me.
I was discussing this with my wife. We reckon that if someone intentionally enters flood waters (surfing etc,) or puts themselves in situations that are being advised against, then emergency services people don't have to risk their lives if things go pear shaped for that person.

Of course that won't happen but these morons don't think of the ' what if' scenarios.
prydey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-03-2017, 10:05 PM   #44
LG17
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

At the very least they should be charged and dragged before the courts.
If there isn't a law to cover it already then the gov't needs to make one asap!
Old 31-03-2017, 10:12 PM   #45
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Agree and disagree with that fellas. People being spastics and going out for fun is one thing. But we crossed a couple of areas where it was pushing the friendship with the Fenchie.

In saying that, before I did, I threw my wife and kids in the hilux (lifted one, work car) and I crossed myself. But I walked it first and a Prado in front tested it.

I was prepared to leave the car if it wasnt on. I heard two hours latter the police closed it all off.

Needles to say the next car is a 4x4, there are clearly reasons why there are so many up here. The Citroen can do most things but flood crossings and mud is not what I think the engineers had in mind.

What I have noticed from all this is how I would love to cleanse some of the bogan population. They just go feral.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane

Last edited by Polyal; 31-03-2017 at 10:38 PM.
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-03-2017, 10:40 PM   #46
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey View Post
I was discussing this with my wife. We reckon that if someone intentionally enters flood waters (surfing etc,) or puts themselves in situations that are being advised against, then emergency services people don't have to risk their lives if things go pear shaped for that person.

Of course that won't happen but these morons don't think of the ' what if' scenarios.
That's exactly why the emergency services are better people than us.

I would not risk my life to save some dumbarse who didn't think about themselves at worst.

How many times, despite being told not to do so they risk crossing flooded roads

And even worse we have idiots on jetskis and boards doing it for a bit of fun.
MITCHAY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post: