Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 02-02-2006, 12:28 PM   #31
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

don't forget, transfering weight from the front to the rear has twice the effect of just removing (or adding) the weight at either end...

Old 02-02-2006, 12:31 PM   #32
chief
FTF Club Moderator

I don't believe it. How could you forget, something like a battery. If it was to be moved, it would be for a reason.

Falcon Tickford FPV (FTF) Car Club of NSW

Fords in the Park 2010

I use and recommend Stingray Car Security.
http://www.stingraycar.com.au/
chief is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-02-2006, 01:55 PM   #33
nb_351
building the xe...

alfa spider has boot battery aswell, and its a pian in the ... trying to boost it, especially when you could earth it out on the body which is less than 10mm above the terminal...
yeah i cantimagine voltage drop being friendly trying to crank a 6l v8...
nb_351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-02-2006, 02:07 PM   #34
Jake F6

Quote:
Originally Posted by chief
I don't believe it. How could you forget, something like a battery. If it was to be moved, it would be for a reason.
I was told they had several proposals to get it under the bonnet,
but in the end the task was abandoned due to cost.
Jake F6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-02-2006, 02:09 PM   #35
GTP-814
love the quad cams

with all of the cad cam design these days, and supplier interaction - there is no way that it could be a design fault. If the battery is too big then the blow torche would be applied on the manufacturer of the battery to fix it.
GTP-814 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-02-2006, 04:07 PM   #36
crustyman
In between Fords

Quote:
Originally Posted by tx3dude
nissan skylines have there battery in the boot ....
Which model? My mates R33 battery is in the engine bay and the R34 I was looking at buying was also in the engine bay :
crustyman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-02-2006, 05:26 PM   #37
BA GT-HO
Bring back Ambrose!

Quote:
Originally Posted by crustyman
Which model? My mates R33 battery is in the engine bay and the R34 I was looking at buying was also in the engine bay :
And I helped my mate with his R32 replace his battery and it was definately under the bonnet..?
BA GT-HO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-02-2006, 05:30 PM   #38
Falcon_Phill
1967 XR Falcon

My gf's mini has its battery in the boot!
Falcon_Phill is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-02-2006, 05:35 PM   #39
Psycho Chicken
Banned

R33/R34 GTR/GTST had them in the boot I think.
Psycho Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-02-2006, 05:41 PM   #40
tickin
FPV-Tickford Club of NSW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycho Chicken
R33/R34 GTR/GTST had them in the boot I think.
my brothers R33 gtst had it in the normal spot under the bonnet.
tickin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-02-2006, 05:44 PM   #41
Psycho Chicken
Banned

Is it a small battery?

I'm just going off picks I googled, it looks to me like there's a cover for terminals, but hardly enough room for a battery.
Old 02-02-2006, 06:35 PM   #42
Josh_XC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by BA GT-HO
And I helped my mate with his R32 replace his battery and it was definately under the bonnet..?

my mates R31 battery is under the bonnet also
Josh_XC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-02-2006, 06:43 PM   #43
crustyman
In between Fords

Quote:
Is it a small battery?

I'm just going off picks I googled, it looks to me like there's a cover for terminals, but hardly enough room for a battery.
Didn't seem smaller than any "normal" car battery I've seen, they do have room for them up front.
crustyman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-02-2006, 06:47 PM   #44
Van D
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Makes it so much easier to get it out and to jump start cars! pft.
Van D is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-02-2006, 06:49 PM   #45
Psycho Chicken
Banned

Must just be GT-Rs.

Doesn't look like too much room in there.
Old 02-02-2006, 06:55 PM   #46
BJ
Banned

Dose it really matter where the dam thing is. I have spoken to two of the design group and one of the engineers and none of them now anything about?? So who gave you this so called inside info??
BJ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-02-2006, 07:52 PM   #47
brodfloyd
Hmmmm

if the battery is in the boot, IF, it will be because holden want it there. If u are nieve enough to believe that they would forget it, you will believe anything. (V10 GTHO)
brodfloyd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-02-2006, 08:39 PM   #48
BJ
Banned

V10 GTHO i must get one of those's.
BJ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-02-2006, 09:11 PM   #49
The Stylist
Automotive Designer

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEM
I've seen the VE architecture and its pretty advanced and some materials are being used that Ford haven't got their hands on yet. This hasn't played out as good as expected for the same reasons that have affected ford.
Hi Jem.

Do you know what kind of materials Holden has got a hold of for the new VE? I heard a while ago that there mabey a new type of steel/alloy employed for the safety cage in the new Commodore.

Sorry guy's for getting off-track over the headline-grabbing news story about the battery location in the VE. Damn I keep running out of salt when I view these types of threads.
The Stylist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-02-2006, 09:27 PM   #50
Eithor

Meh if its in the boot its much better for puting in subs and amps and stuff :
Eithor is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-02-2006, 10:08 PM   #51
Richmalbill

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
Battery in the boot is good for powering doof doofs but the voltage drop and I²R losses during start would be a huge problem. Any weight saving would be defeated by the 400kg of copper used to run to the starter motor.
There are a number of vehicles that have this design but they all have at least two things in common.

1) They are small compared to a commy/falc.
2) They don't have a high compression 6 litre V8 engine to turn over.
Er not really...

1) Jaguar XJ12 from 1994 till the end (about 1998) had the battery in the ИИИИ end. These cars had a comparible electrical load to a more modern commo.
2) True, the XJ12 had a high compression 6 litre V12!

Actually come to think of it there may be some validity in point 2, since a V12 has a far superior balance characteristic than a V8 added to the greater number of bangs per rev, theoretically should mean much less effort in firing them up thus less is required of the starting equipment.
Richmalbill is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-02-2006, 10:14 PM   #52
TTXPC

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAFIATL
I think this is only for V8 models. The new commowhore are a smaller car now so it says.

Apparently the new commowhore looks F*@k ugly. Have you seen it. Holden should be ashame of thenselve for not coming up with fresh idea when desisning new cars. The front is somewhere between an astra and a BA falcon together while the back is Hyundai and Misti 350 together. If ya ask me the new commowhore not only looks like a whore but it very transexual.

Shame Holden Shame

Love the blue oval but we did have the Taurus, shudder shudder retch retch. only redeemable feature was you could opt not to buy it......
Old 02-02-2006, 10:22 PM   #53
Psycho Chicken
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richmalbill
Er not really...

1) Jaguar XJ12 from 1994 till the end (about 1998) had the battery in the ИИИИ end. These cars had a comparible electrical load to a more modern commo.
2) True, the XJ12 had a high compression 6 litre V12!

Actually come to think of it there may be some validity in point 2, since a V12 has a far superior balance characteristic than a V8 added to the greater number of bangs per rev, theoretically should mean much less effort in firing them up thus less is required of the starting equipment.
There's no validity in either points! Jaguar and reliable electrical system just don't do together! If I recall correctly the XJS had it in the boot. Though you probably didn't notice the weight shift when you were pushing it.
Old 02-02-2006, 10:52 PM   #54
johnydep
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech article(s) 

Went to an automotive battery seminar a few years back and these guys prefer the battery in the boot, away from heat sources.

They reckon heat shortens a batterys life dramatically, and under bonnet temperatures keep getting higher. Vehicle manufacturers have tried to over come the heat by enclosing the battery & directing air onto it, but this is only a bandaid fix.
High temperature cause an unwanted chemical reaction inside the battery and in extreme cases the electrolyte will boil, the gases emitted are highly corrosive & explosive.

Quote:
Temperature effects http://www.mpoweruk.com/life.htm

Chemical reactions internal to the battery are driven either by voltage or temperature. The hotter the battery, the faster chemical reactions will occur. High temperatures can thus provide increased performance, but at the same time the rate of the unwanted chemical reactions will increase resulting in a corresponding loss of battery life. The shelf life and charge retention depend on the self discharge rate and self discharge is the result of an unwanted chemical reaction in the cell. Similarly adverse chemical reactions such as passivation of the electrodes, corrosion and gassing are common causes of reduced cycle life. Temperature therefore affects both the shelf life and the cycle life as well as charge retention since they are all due to chemical reactions. Even batteries which are specifically designed around high temperature chemical reactions, (such as Zebra batteries) are not immune to heat induced failures which are the result of parasitic reactions within the cells.
.................Heat is the enemy of the battery and as Arrhenius shows, even small increases in temperature will have a major influence on battery performance affecting both the desired and undesired chemical reactions.
Some of the high end luxury cars have two batteries, one for starting and another to run all the electrics, eg PCM, audio system, navigation, instruments, etc.

EDIT: http://www.batteryworld.com.au/v1/Ba...0Batterie2.htm
especially concerning their love of the motor vehicle.

http://www.fireservicecollege.ac.uk

Last edited by johnydep; 02-02-2006 at 10:55 PM. Reason: New link
johnydep is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-02-2006, 10:59 PM   #55
Richmalbill

Quote:
There's no validity in either points! Jaguar and reliable electrical system just don't do together! If I recall correctly the XJS had it in the boot. Though you probably didn't notice the weight shift when you were pushing it.
I was talking about the last of the XJ12 in both XJ40 and X300 form which employ multiplex electrical systems. Their high spec electric are far more reliable than anything to ever have come out of Broadmeadows. The TGW scores by electrical system compiled by Ford themselves confirm that Jaguar have the lowest walk-home failure rate of any company in the Ford empire
Richmalbill is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-02-2006, 11:28 PM   #56
devilracer_01
Sleeping Beast

Next they will put the engine in the boot and be calling it a bettle _
devilracer_01 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-02-2006, 12:08 AM   #57
JPFS1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Stylist
Hi Jem.

Do you know what kind of materials Holden has got a hold of for the new VE? I heard a while ago that there mabey a new type of steel/alloy employed for the safety cage in the new Commodore.

Sorry guy's for getting off-track over the headline-grabbing news story about the battery location in the VE. Damn I keep running out of salt when I view these types of threads.
Hi Stylist

Boron - not sure that they've used it for the entire cage though, i highly doubt that. Plastics have been used a lot more in VE also.

Haven't seen many new designs of yours lately - how about some Orion interpretations?? Give you a head start, think orion xr's even more agressive than current FPV's.. :evilking:
JPFS1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-02-2006, 11:42 AM   #58
The Stylist
Automotive Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEM
Hi Stylist

Boron - not sure that they've used it for the entire cage though, i highly doubt that. Plastics have been used a lot more in VE also.

Haven't seen many new designs of yours lately - how about some Orion interpretations?? Give you a head start, think orion xr's even more agressive than current FPV's.. :evilking:
Hi Jem,

I was thinking along the lines of Boron being used, I know the euro Vectra uses it in the B-pillar and the Volvo XC90 has it in the roof supports - quite strong stuff. I've seen a few rollovers involving the XC90 and there is hardly any roof-crush as a result. I think more manufactures should be using it in there vehicles.

As for the sketches - I must admit I've been a bit slack over the past few months. However I have been doing a few, including my take on a new AM DBS. I'm a bit ИИИИed-off though because since I completed that particular illustration, AM has come out with a sketch for the DBS that looks quite similar to mine in its proportions and greenhouse.

As for the Orion, well I haven't really considered doing a interpretation of that yet - not sure where to start.
The Stylist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-02-2006, 01:47 PM   #59
YELLAUTE
old fart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Full Noise
I also doubt that moving 10 kilos would make any difference. How do they compensate for a 120 kilogram lard *** that sits in the drivers seat?
Thats not nice. I have lost 5 kilos ...... that would be a 115 kilo lard *** in the drivers seat .... thank you
YELLAUTE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-02-2006, 02:02 PM   #60
JPFS1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Stylist
Hi Jem,

I was thinking along the lines of Boron being used, I know the euro Vectra uses it in the B-pillar and the Volvo XC90 has it in the roof supports - quite strong stuff. I've seen a few rollovers involving the XC90 and there is hardly any roof-crush as a result. I think more manufactures should be using it in there vehicles.
Yes as far as i know Boron will be used in the same way as in the Vectra, ie. B pillar. As i mentioned in an earlier post in reply to HSE2, Holden would've had budget approval quite a bit earlier than Ford, plus a design that was destined to be selling in high volumes overseas, so this is how they were able to introduce the more exotic materials. It is hurting them now though as their overseas plan is likely not to be as initially planned. I'm sure they are trying to rip cost out of it now to compensate.

On the falcon front - don't be surprised to learn that there will be safety innovations that stem from the volvo brand.
JPFS1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post