Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Closed Thread

Old 13-08-2007, 01:18 PM   #31
X000BOSS
I12 GO FASTER

as for training, all done professionally. i doubt ive got spirits or ghosts or magic mushrooms in the back yard. i doubt i had someones creeping around there, because i went outside and had a look. BUT the snake thing does make sense, we do back onto a large reserve. thats a bloody worry!
Old 13-08-2007, 01:26 PM   #32
Tote
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by MO
Panther..shmanther..it could be a rogue fairy,,as I said dogs are intelligent and sensitive!!!!!
You've been watching torchwood havent you??...
Old 13-08-2007, 01:46 PM   #33
Zed7fiddy
Temporary Australian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MO
Just to back up my comments..I got a rottie pup at 71/2 months old sitting in my lounge one night about 3mth after I got him he rises up from prone to half sit /lying positions and gives one woof..did'nt take much notice i.e. whats up mate...
Next morning found my car had been done over in the driveway!!!

Now my dogs woof ...
I'm looking!!
Same thing happened to a mate, at 3 in the morning the Husky was barking, he ignored it, told it to shoosh, next morning finds somone had glued $1.25 worth of 5 cent coins to his bonnet....

With the Spooked dog, maybe it was sniffing in a hole and a possum or some other creature came out and bit her? checked around her neck / ears? i got a Dobe too, and he doest scare easily.
Old 13-08-2007, 02:05 PM   #34
photn
AFF Post NAZI

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavesXr8
Dogs arnt as couragous as you may think no matter what dog you have there first instinct is flight not fight.

I have trained and seen many a man killer in my time and most of the man killers are pure feer driven.

It could have been a person or something else a dog at night outside is in another zone than during the day he may have even seen his own shadow you will never know until you catch whatever it was.

Best way now is to get the dog more comfortable and confident in the dark.

2 things can happen from this kind off experience 1 the dog gets toey at night and barks more often but is driven more from fear or 2 they do less than before again because of fear lack of confidence.

Try and do as much stuff at night as you can do some obedience get a few mates to drop around make a few noises and make the dog feel confident .
good excuse for having the fellas over for a poker night or afooty night.

Old 13-08-2007, 04:56 PM   #35
Bax
Projecting

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84RGE
Same thing happened to a mate, at 3 in the morning the Husky was barking, he ignored it, told it to shoosh, next morning finds somone had glued $1.25 worth of 5 cent coins to his bonnet....
What the hell - does that have some kind of meaning/ threat or a chain mailer gone wild.

Keep an eye on the dog, if mine gets a bit scared about something the first thing I do is generally put the light on and rush down there with her to see what's going on. She's only done it once and I made her face her fears. She barks quite often but she had only done the hesitant/ scared barking once..
Old 13-08-2007, 09:25 PM   #36
MO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tote
You've been watching torchwood havent you??...
Tote..mate pulease..Torchwood saw the shorts and said no way.

Mind you there are many unexplained things out there.

The more I know ppl the more I love my DOGS.
2011 SY Territory Limited Edition TS
2000 AUII SE ute IL6
Old 13-08-2007, 11:00 PM   #37
big_pete
Sublime

it has to be this guy...
Old 14-08-2007, 01:03 PM   #38
X000BOSS
I12 GO FASTER

ah big foot. i loved that thing when i was a kid.
Old 14-08-2007, 01:32 PM   #39
tapeworm
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Does anyone remember that story on a dog that was with a bunch of soldiers in some sort of conflict. The men were out in the middle of forest in the middle of nowhere and found themselves in a vulnrable and dangerous situation, they called in a chopper and were flown out of their ASAP. In the mad rush they left their loyal dog behind. They were flown back to base 250 odd k's away and out of the blue the dog walked into base days later. Intense lol, but true. I reckon animals here, see and sense we can't.
Old 14-08-2007, 01:35 PM   #40
tapeworm
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Correction - hear.
Old 14-08-2007, 04:32 PM   #41
DBourne
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

our dog hates her own reflection, if bored we close the glass door and she tries to bark @ her self so her reflection runs away.. gives about 20minutes of hilarity
Old 14-08-2007, 08:58 PM   #42
MO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtBourne
our dog hates her own reflection, if bored we close the glass door and she tries to bark @ her self so her reflection runs away.. gives about 20minutes of hilarity
Your cruel!!!

2000 AUII SE ute IL6
Old 14-08-2007, 09:51 PM   #43
Lumpen Proletariat

What's the weather like been in Sydney lately?

No chance it was a serpent? or the scent of one.

Most people who live on farms with dogs get to recognise a 'snake' bark. Each dog is different and it's normally only when you see your dog bailing up said snake for the first time that you put two and two together....

Lumpy

Dad: 1994 ED XR8 Sprint: Polynesian Green. Auto. Full Exhaust. Chiptorque Chip. 155.4rwkw.

Happy Dealings with: FordFan86 and Matt_971
Old 14-08-2007, 10:19 PM   #44
MO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Spot on mate....as for Syd weather cold..snakes hibernating.

2000 AUII SE ute IL6
Old 14-08-2007, 10:26 PM   #45
sfr rob
○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○ ○○○○○

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTP006
Ghost schmost. You've got a Panther roaming the neighbourhood!
I am with ya, out in Woodside, my dog which is not a wuss, was ahead of us on a track, he came bolting back and past us, turned out a rather large ( bigger than a labrador) black Cat was sunning it's self in the middle of the track, the dog wouldn't proceed past that point once it got wind of us and made for the forest.
Old 16-08-2007, 11:43 PM   #46
V3RSAC3
... Fear it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by big_pete
it has to be this guy...
i don't remember having this picture taken ...

as for you're dog, i got no idea ... i used to have 2 cavilier king charles spaniels and they used to do the same thing, started barking at night, i'd get up out of bed, becuz my dad's too lazy ... open the back door to let them out, and they'd run to the edge of the cement and look out to the grass into the corner and start barking ... so i'd turn on the light, nothing there, but they'd growl ... so we bought a german sheapard ... same thing kept happening!!!

so i bought a gun ... we no longer have the dogs!
Chrysler 300C Sedan
SY Territory Ghia
Old 17-08-2007, 02:11 PM   #47
Addz08
"FEED IT"

What about a Fox..
Old 17-08-2007, 03:12 PM   #48
X000BOSS
I12 GO FASTER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addz08
What about a Fox..
not sure. i dont think so. i live in mt druitt area and although we've seen a few roo's around, never noticed a fox or "panther". come to think of it, could have been a roo!!!!! theyve been in the reserve behind us before.

thanks guys. i think we have solved my equation
Old 19-08-2007, 06:03 AM   #49
ThoR_
Holdens Fall Apart!

If your dogs barking. There is something going on and you should ALWAYS check. On propertys its usually foxes, roos, rabbits, cats, possums, other dogs and all that sort of stuff. But i wouldnt be suprised if it was someone on the property. If your dogs scared...then there is REALLY something wrong. When ever my dog barks there is something wrong.

My mates dog was going off one night up in the hills and we just ignored it...next morning 7 of his sheep had the necks and asses ripped of an where laying them so we had to put them down.

There was dogs foot prints everywhere so we called the ranger and he said there had been other attacks that night and there is 2 rottwheelers on the loose and have just gone savage..He said if you see them shoot them. So we camped out till about 1am and sure enough a huge dog comes into the padic so my mate lined it up with the 22 magnum and that was that! A guy a couple of propertys away shot the other dog.

Just a story for the felas. But ALWAYS check. Dogs are very very smart. I belive in ghosts and stuff and apparently on all the research ive done dogs can see them and pick them up. Wierd i know! Im not wierd....really im not..
Old 19-08-2007, 08:26 AM   #50
nugget378
Weezland

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to impart knowledge in the technical areas. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by X000BOSS
not sure. i dont think so. i live in mt druitt area and although we've seen a few roo's around, never noticed a fox or "panther". come to think of it, could have been a roo!!!!! theyve been in the reserve behind us before.

I live less than 10km's from the city,and we had foxes in the yard all the time till we got the dog,you see them on the street sometimes if your coming home very late,going through garbage.
If you live near a reserve big enough to have roo's,you have got foxes..
Old 19-08-2007, 04:10 PM   #51
ThoR_
Holdens Fall Apart!

Propertys are wierd, you never no what the hell is out there.
Old 20-08-2007, 05:28 PM   #52
VIBEBA
huh???

Quote:
Ghost schmost. You've got a Panther roaming the neighbourhood!
This is not that unheard of as some may think seen articles about panthers roaming around many places but who knows what it may have been just as mo said dogs are very sensitive...

Old 20-08-2007, 08:43 PM   #53
5tumpy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My money is on either a snake or a fox... Given the weather, I'd say fox...
Old 20-08-2007, 08:59 PM   #54
Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by X000BOSS
not sure. i dont think so. i live in mt druitt area and although we've seen a few roo's around, never noticed a fox or "panther".

You can laugh, and you can think you've found the source of the issue but hear me loud and hear me clear.....

Much like the Cougar, the Panther is well studied in the ancient art of invisibleness. You won't see the Panther but the Panther HAS seen you.......
Old 20-08-2007, 10:40 PM   #55
DBourne
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
You can laugh, and you can think you've found the source of the issue but hear me loud and hear me clear.....

Much like the Cougar, the Panther is well studied in the ancient art of invisibleness. You won't see the Panther but the Panther HAS seen you.......
im beginning to suspect that chuck norris is hiding out in his backyard..

or more likely, the backyard has hired chuck for protection... id tred lightly
Old 20-08-2007, 10:48 PM   #56
Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtBourne
or more likely, the backyard has hired chuck for protection... id tred lightly
Old 24-12-2011, 05:23 PM   #57
XT302
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: something spooked my dog...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavesXr8
Dogs arnt as couragous as you may think no matter what dog you have there first instinct is flight not fight.

I have trained and seen many a man killer in my time and most of the man killers are pure feer driven.

It could have been a person or something else a dog at night outside is in another zone than during the day he may have even seen his own shadow you will never know until you catch whatever it was.

Best way now is to get the dog more comfortable and confident in the dark.

2 things can happen from this kind off experience 1 the dog gets toey at night and barks more often but is driven more from fear or 2 they do less than before again because of fear lack of confidence.

Try and do as much stuff at night as you can do some obedience get a few mates to drop around make a few noises and make the dog feel confident .
I semi agree with the above statement.

I have also seen a few very "confident" humans approach "viscious" dogs and have the dogs off in the corner with their tales between their legs.

If your dog has had no formal training regardless how viscious you think your dogs is a confident human will have it on the back foot - I have owned a few dobermans and currently own one now, a good friend trains dogs and competes in shutzhund and has made my viscious doberman submit on many occassion to my amazement. Another good friend also competes in Shutzhund with his NSW Police GP dog (the viscious ones) and he has explained a few home truths to me.

The failure rate in armed forces and Police dogs is high even amongst the BEST bred 'viscious" dogs so dont worry too much.

In short if you are happy with how your dogs temprement and behaviour leave it be if not seek a reputable trainer and have them trained.

If you are are in Sydney I cannot recommend anyone but can advise you of one to stay away from one, my mates Shepherd and my Doberman came back with trates displayed after the use of electric shock (mine was only boarded)....unfortunatly RSPCA have raided the place a few times but due to the type of dogs and the training offered have to allow the owners time to make area safe for inspection, once inspected they have detected nil....although plenty of complaints and cattle prods been seen........
Old 24-12-2011, 05:43 PM   #58
DavesXr8

Quote:
Originally Posted by XT302
I semi agree with the above statement.

I have also seen a few very "confident" humans approach "viscious" dogs and have the dogs off in the corner with their tales between their legs.

If your dog has had no formal training regardless how viscious you think your dogs is a confident human will have it on the back foot - I have owned a few dobermans and currently own one now, a good friend trains dogs and competes in shutzhund and has made my viscious doberman submit on many occassion to my amazement. Another good friend also competes in Shutzhund with his NSW Police GP dog (the viscious ones) and he has explained a few home truths to me.

The failure rate in armed forces and Police dogs is high even amongst the BEST bred 'viscious" dogs so dont worry too much.

In short if you are happy with how your dogs temprement and behaviour leave it be if not seek a reputable trainer and have them trained.

If you are are in Sydney I cannot recommend anyone but can advise you of one to stay away from one, my mates Shepherd and my Doberman came back with trates displayed after the use of electric shock (mine was only boarded)....unfortunatly RSPCA have raided the place a few times but due to the type of dogs and the training offered have to allow the owners time to make area safe for inspection, once inspected they have detected nil....although plenty of complaints and cattle prods been seen........
Who's your mate? I may Know him depending how long he has been training for? i trained schutzhund for 13yrs in WA. back in the 80s/90s
Old 24-12-2011, 06:44 PM   #59
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by XT302
Seeing as the dog (and this thread) is now 4 1/2 years older, the problem has probably been solved.
Old 24-12-2011, 07:08 PM   #60
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasOLane
Seeing as the dog (and this thread) is now 4 1/2 years older, the problem has probably been solved.
Agreed.
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
- Tuned by LS Tuning and Performance
Closed Thread