Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 12-06-2024, 06:30 PM   #31
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: So "In 5 Years' time we'll all be driving Chinese cars" - how's that working out?

Quote:
Originally Posted by anobserver View Post
A work colleague recently swapped cars when the lease was up. Went from a CX3 to an MG suv. Hates it with a passion.
Haha what's the go there? Did he get demoted? That post gave me a chuckle
Old 12-06-2024, 06:34 PM   #32
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: So "In 5 Years' time we'll all be driving Chinese cars" - how's that working out?

The GWM Tanks are going to be very interesting, they will convert lots of outback travellers who might have concerns with stratospheric Cruiser pricing and not want a dual cab - which can cost heaps, too.
Old 13-06-2024, 01:55 AM   #33
danzvtil
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Dead right, 99% don’t care, and when the difference is upto 10grand, the punters may overlook any shortfall.
Legacy auto have walked away from the volume segments, the Chinese have filled the gap. Nothing more, nothing less.
Personal experience, just took my exes 2.5yo haval Jolion on a 800k country round trip, it was ok. The bings and bongs were a bit ott, but it was ok, and at 30k kk, she’s had no problems with it.
I’ve had my LDV G10 for just over 12months, in that time I’ve spent $4k on repairs (clutch/starter motor/head unit), it’s 5yo with 55k km. Oh, and the rust. I’ve still got 4 years to pay it off, but it wasn’t a hiace at $47k, so there’s that.
Overbearing safety nannies are now compulsory to get ancap scores, it’s just the Chinese aren’t great at tuning them for western sensibilities, the locals at ford/holden/toyota were really good at making systems and UI that made sense.

2019 LDV G10
2009 Mitsubishi Express-GONE
2011 Honda Jazz
Old 13-06-2024, 06:29 AM   #34
Trevor 57
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If Ford can't provide the next passenger car I want then I will be looking at Mazda, never ever Chinese. I would never ever buy a Chinese SUV / Twin Cab either

I actually get a little internally angry when I hear people I know buying or have bought a Chinese piece of shit. Every time we buy their garbage we are supporting their economy and all they want to do is shaft us - the relationship is NOT a 2 way street
Old 13-06-2024, 11:36 AM   #35
PG2
#neuteredlyfe
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprintey View Post
The GWM Tanks are going to be very interesting, they will convert lots of outback travellers who might have concerns with stratospheric Cruiser pricing and not want a dual cab - which can cost heaps, too.
The problem the GWM will have with trying to convert outback travellers is the lack of a dealer network in regional areas and the availability of spare parts.

You also have the rusted on Toyota fans who will never swap over.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor 57
If Ford can't provide the next passenger car I want then I will be looking at Mazda, never ever Chinese. I would never ever buy a Chinese SUV / Twin Cab either

I actually get a little internally angry when I hear people I know buying or have bought a Chinese piece of shit. Every time we buy their garbage we are supporting their economy and all they want to do is shaft us - the relationship is NOT a 2 way street
Everyone has their price... everyone has their price.
4 users like this post:
Old 13-06-2024, 11:57 AM   #36
Dr Smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor 57 View Post

You may already know this but last year Aust. exported over $120Billion to China and we imported from China around $70Billion...yes almost all being resources....but our trade with China is equivalent to the total combined trade of the next 9 countries in this list....

https://tradingeconomics.com/austral...rts-by-country
6 users like this post:
Old 13-06-2024, 12:29 PM   #37
Rebel
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Cozzo View Post
Sounds like you just described every Thailand Special I've ever driven in your first paragraph, yet they fly off the shelves

Doesn't have to be good to be popular, boomers got a woody for cheap shit Chinese vehicles.
Steady on there!

This BOOMER has a FG GT and EL Futura.
2008 FG GT 315 EGO #460

1968 Falcon Sports Coupe **2012 PCOTY winner**
https://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11325000

1990 XF Falcon Panelvan
6 users like this post:
Old 13-06-2024, 01:17 PM   #38
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebel View Post
Steady on there!

This BOOMER has a FG GT and EL Futura.
Just like how everyone's last car is always a station wagon,

Your next new car purchase will be Chinese, it's coming
This user likes this post:
Old 13-06-2024, 01:31 PM   #39
FairmontGS
WT GT
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Smith View Post
You may already know this but last year Aust. exported over $120Billion to China and we imported from China around $70Billion...yes almost all being resources....but our trade with China is equivalent to the total combined trade of the next 9 countries in this list....

https://tradingeconomics.com/austral...rts-by-country
I'd go further and say that as Australians we have all had our standard of living lifted by our long economic friendship with Chy-naaaaaa. Look at the relative prices paid now for the same piece of equipment - $20 for an Ozito angle grinder that includes $20 worth of consumables and a no-quibble replacement even if it's your fault? Yes thanks.

The same is starting to apply to the automotive offerings.
3 users like this post:
Old 13-06-2024, 01:51 PM   #40
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Don't worry most of the stuff in our new Ford's comes out of China anyways.

As for MG's they are not the best but nothing competes with them on price / warranty. One of my mates is the fixed operations manager for a MG / GWM dealership. He has spent most of his life at Ford and he said these Chinese things are no worse then Ford's when it comes to the amount of warranty claims etc. In saying that there is a big difference between durability and NVH / comfort / drivability / handling.
Old 13-06-2024, 01:57 PM   #41
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by T3rminator View Post
Dealers scared him away from full EV. He still wants to swap mum's Kia for a hybrid, and is looking at the BYD

Yes, people are not thinking twice about getting new Chinese cars because a) they are relatively cheap and b) they don't have to worry about fixing things for 7+ years.
you see this itsme.......

TBH the thread title has merit but more so applied to the younger gens.
Us older smarter mature types know you get what you pay for and know back up service/support is huge part of ownership.
Another fellow forum member here from WA is a panel beater.
He has mentioned waiting on chinese parts no matter the brand is months and months.
My neighbour 1 door up I'm sure he regrest his BYD purchase since he or his Mrs's scrapped the entire LHside.
That was near on 5mths ago, I ask him any news, nope still waiting on beater to advise him bring the BYD in, Build Your Dreams, haha when lol.....at least he can still drive it around.
Now this is Syd burbia living, what about going through this lack of support out in regional areas, like WTF.

Recently my sons i30 got scrapped whilst parked out front of his girlfriends place.
Thankfully the offender was honest - a rarity in this day and age we thanked him so much - therefore put in the claim no worries got it inspected by a good reputable repairer the insurer booked in for us.
I sussed them out online was impressed by the marques in there AND they are a Tesla approved repairer as well.
Now we know not every beater can take on those EV's due to their panels mixed of alloy/magnesium etcetc depending models.....
the amount of Teslas in there was more than I expected with all the warning tech, not enough approved beaters, makes for looong repair waits, hire vehicle unless in your policy.

Hey T3, as you say general WTY repairs all and good the dealership can fix just pray no one hits Pops new 300.
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet. Abraham Lincoln"
Old 13-06-2024, 02:07 PM   #42
kevino
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Franco
Come out of the closet
Gen y your generation are the people buying Chinese cars not Boomers
Also note the new petrol Mg3 has less kw and torque than a 2008 1.6 na Fiesta
3 users like this post:
Old 13-06-2024, 02:13 PM   #43
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by FairmontGS View Post
I'd go further and say that as Australians we have all had our standard of living lifted by our long economic friendship with Chy-naaaaaa. Look at the relative prices paid now for the same piece of equipment - $20 for an Ozito angle grinder that includes $20 worth of consumables and a no-quibble replacement even if it's your fault? Yes thanks.

The same is starting to apply to the automotive offerings.
correct GS absolutely spot on....
We all moan groan but at the same time how much of our products in our homes are made in china today.
Same applies as smoke mentions, near on every brand vehicle has components Made in PRC.
Double edged sword.
Being in the parts game for over 40yrs, what we paid back in the 80/90's have near on halved mind you certain lines have compramised on quality and thats the gamble.
Learn what to buy and who/brand has the better support policies.
So many hated Supercheap, I like because I deal with them since store 38, I understood their policy/vision to market, Thank them guys for all your whinging because Repco/Burson/AutoOne etcetc had to follow their lead !

Can't cut off china neccessary evil - we but a minnow.
Old 13-06-2024, 03:37 PM   #44
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevino View Post
Franco
Come out of the closet
Gen y your generation are the people buying Chinese cars not Boomers
Also note the new petrol Mg3 has less kw and torque than a 2008 1.6 na Fiesta
Ah yes, here is a 30 year old man and his GWM Ora giving a presentation about EVs:

Its a rough 30 - must have worked automotive industry
Old 13-06-2024, 03:39 PM   #45
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTE217 View Post
Hey T3, as you say general WTY repairs all and good the dealership can fix just pray no one hits Pops new 300.
I'm not worried about someone hitting the 300....I'm worried he'll hit some "thing" Its a fat sun of a beach. He did back the LDV into a pole and smashed the tail light. Found a replacement on ebay, and once you swapped the OEM globes over (the one that came with the replacement tail light was way off) you could hardly tell the difference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Smith
Hopefully add another $20b once the remaining tariffs are lifted.

Rides (past and present)
Current: 2004 Ford Falcon 5.4L 3v Barra 220, Manual
Past: Mitsubishi Sigma (m), Toyota Seca (m), Toyota Seca SX (m), Toyota Vienta V6 (m), Toyota Soarer 4L v8 (a), BA XR8 ute (m), T3 TE50 (m), BMW Z4 (m)

AFF motto - If contrary views trigger, please use ignore button.
2 users like this post:
Old 13-06-2024, 05:00 PM   #46
minheim

It is interesting to see how quickly the newer Chinese generation vehicles are advancing. The new 2024 MG3 hybrid seems a pretty big leap from first generation MG3. It packs a pretty punchy yet economical driveline and has had good overseas reviews. Of course it still suffers from less than perfect driver assist aids but at about $30K in top spec with a sunroof seems good value and should be a good seller as a city car. if they can get parts availability sorted then MG will be big player with pure Evs and hybrids. They seems to be progressing much quicker I thought they would. will be interesting to see how non chinese manufacturers adapt.
Old 13-06-2024, 05:31 PM   #47
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

minheim, you'd hope so for the bar wasn't that high when they came out and forwarding years so any improvement would be night a day from 1st gens.
Techs improvement are easy its components/and longivity but at the pricing what are we to expect for life cycle ? throw away society right.
Whereas the Japs/Koreans at that bracket (obviously more $) lasts and wouldn't depreciate as hard, this matters to some consumers.
Anyway horse's for course's, the market is speaking.

Hey T3, know the feeling, I've been dealing with a 90yr old driving father, he's been at us about fixing his bumper bar parking scraps the last 5yrs, got sorted couple of months back, in his own carpark an unfortunate health issue accident occured (thankfully he's good but damn lucky)...having dealt with Insurnace and pictures sent they wrote it off !
Poor bloke due to the accident they automatically suspend his license for 6mths.
TBH best thing to happen, enough was enough, more so for fellow motorists he became a worrying liabilty to anyone.
Sorry off topic.
Old 13-06-2024, 06:27 PM   #48
kevino
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Ah yes, here is a 30 year old man and his GWM Ora giving a presentation about EVs:

Owner
Damien Parker?
Hmmm?
He s not called Kevin.
Old 13-06-2024, 08:56 PM   #49
DMXR6T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Dazz View Post
Boomers only drive Toyotas
Not me, I drive a Sprint 6. Would not see me dead in a boring household appliance/Toyota. Would also never see me in Communist Party sh*t box.
Old 13-06-2024, 09:15 PM   #50
simon varley
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Bringing sanity to the Everest threads. 

just out of interest, and for a giggle.... carsales has just over 35,000 new cars listed today.

just 823 are manual transmission. I think this goes a long way to support my statement that punters no longer care about the driving experience.

the only Chinese ones in the list are LDV, but they make up 10%

I was also quite surprised to see some Fords. Mustang obviously, but it looks like the new transit comes in manual too
2 users like this post:
Old 14-06-2024, 06:22 AM   #51
Trevor 57
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

nah, he is a 30 year old interstate truck driver
2 users like this post:
Old 14-06-2024, 08:31 AM   #52
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I remember in the 90s, we all scoffed at the Hyundais held together with rivets. Look at them now. They overtook our industry in terms of value for money and build quality long before it was dead.

The chinese have the benefit of learning from everyone else's IP, so these new players are bringing far more mature products to us than those first koreans. They may not be the best cars on the road, but at the price? Would you rather a $40k Haval or a $40k Jimny?
2 users like this post:
Old 14-06-2024, 09:16 AM   #53
rare ss
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by simon varley View Post
just out of interest, and for a giggle.... carsales has just over 35,000 new cars listed today.

just 823 are manual transmission. I think this goes a long way to support my statement that punters no longer care about the driving experience.

the only Chinese ones in the list are LDV, but they make up 10%

I was also quite surprised to see some Fords. Mustang obviously, but it looks like the new transit comes in manual too
Wow, I can't believe there's 823 70 series cruisers available in Oz
FGII FPV F6 #406
BFII FPV F6 Typhoon R Spec #118
VK HDT Group A/Group 3 #3249
Old 14-06-2024, 10:07 AM   #54
Dr Terry
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0son View Post
I remember in the 90s, we all scoffed at the Hyundais held together with rivets. Look at them now. They overtook our industry in terms of value for money and build quality long before it was dead.

The chinese have the benefit of learning from everyone else's IP, so these new players are bringing far more mature products to us than those first koreans. They may not be the best cars on the road, but at the price? Would you rather a $40k Haval or a $40k Jimny?
Yes, but some of the Chinese are not 'new players' any more. Great Wall have been on the Aussie market since 2009, that's 15 years. You would expect some improvement over that time.

The Japanese went thru the same learning curve during the 60s & early 70s, some of their early stuff was cr@p. The same with early Hyundai & Kia, but look at them now.

In time the Chinese will be up to a good standard, but currently many are not. At the moment they are selling on price alone, the same as the others decades ago.

Dr Terry
Old 14-06-2024, 10:22 AM   #55
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

The scoffing was real! Will never forget first time sitting in a Hyundai, got the back seat in a mate's brand new 1992 one, pulled the entire seatbelt mounting out of the C pillar when reaching for the belt.
Old 14-06-2024, 10:23 AM   #56
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

More recently there was the asbestos gaskets in motors, maybe asbestos in brakes too can't remember which brand though. Useful stuff, asbestos, good heat resistance properties.
Old 14-06-2024, 01:12 PM   #57
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:

Pretty sure the Jinmy is built in India too, that's close enough to China to be the same
Old 14-06-2024, 01:20 PM   #58
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprintey View Post
More recently there was the asbestos gaskets in motors, maybe asbestos in brakes too can't remember which brand though. Useful stuff, asbestos, good heat resistance properties.
Pretty sure it was GWM with the asbestos gaskets, I think Australia only banned it for automotive purposes in 2003 as well.

Quote:
Australia banned the use of asbestos in vehicle and machinery parts on 31 December 2003, however, the ban did not apply to parts already installed before that date. Imported vehicles that were not manufactured for the Australian market may also have parts containing asbestos.
Old 14-06-2024, 01:48 PM   #59
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

Quote:

Which would last better spending $40K ? (mind you I'd never buy either)
Jimny goes back from the 70's to date, depending the market.
Majority made in Japan early days and again market dependant Spain/Brazil/Indo/Kenya/Thai/India and a number more.
Won't be surprised it wll last better than the Haval at this stage.

China have had partnership IP with leading OE's going back yonks and yonks, mostly VW/Das Auto and GM who are very strong in their market last 40/50yrs.
Therefore that leads into sub supplier partnerships as well ie Bosch etcetc so they have had IP knowledge intel for a damn long time amongst other brands.
It is not new building vehicles there.
Some of their OE's are as old as our beginnings with GM/Ford building here and longer.
Their quality has been rubbish imo having visited there the last 25yrs BUT they now HAVE to lift their game having turned to Export their brands in todays world.
All up to them to make the grade.
I know the first chinese Importer here was Ateco, it was a failure for them for sometime, as one mentioned the first GWM utes were rubbish and a couple of other brands ala Chery.
The main issue apart from sub standard drivetrains/engines/QC was the lack of back up support which is the issue today and worse because more are coming to town.
I suppose early adaptors a term used today will pay the price of sub standard service for the bang for buck, good luck to them.
Old 14-06-2024, 02:56 PM   #60
naddis01
\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

Quote:
Pretty sure the Jinmy is built in India too, that's close enough to China to be the same
The 5dr Jimny is built in India. The 3dr Jimny is built in Japan if I'm not mistaken.
Closed Thread