Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 28-12-2006, 02:04 AM   #31
XR8-260
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6 Martin
BA 5.4 should be quicker than 15.1 as thats what the 6cyl runs.
The average BA 6 will run 15.5-15.7 (wheels figures for XR6 and Futura)

The 3V V8 auto would run low 15s. Don't forget that peak power arrives at 4700rpm.
XR8-260 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-12-2006, 02:06 AM   #32
XR8-260
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steffo
think the new 230 is alot quicker then the 220 simply because of the extra revs.
It's about 0.3sec faster down the quarter. Not that much faster considering the 6spd, 10kw and 30Nm increase.
XR8-260 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-12-2006, 12:47 PM   #33
Beetus
Now drifting a falcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30487256
It's about 0.3sec faster down the quarter. Not that much faster considering the 6spd, 10kw and 30Nm increase.

.3 down the quarter with only 10kw at the motor increase ide be happy with a mod doin that
Beetus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-12-2006, 12:59 PM   #34
Craig
RIP Craig - 13/11/08
Donating Member1

Looking at it another way a BA XR8 sedan to run into the 12 second zone down the 1/4 mile will cost you about $8,500.00 in mods + the cost of a car $35,000 in round figures.

Car = $35,000
Mods = $8500
Total = $43,500

A BA 3V XT Sedan to run 12's $7500 for mods + Car (Ghia) $20,000 in round figures

Car = $20,000
Mods = $7500
Total = $27,500

Just food for thought and these figures are rough but pretty close i reckon depending on the purchase price of the cars second hand....
Craig is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-12-2006, 01:15 PM   #35
Lukeyson
Right out sideways

Quote:
Originally Posted by b2tf
Yep but theyre not speed limited.
Mine is :Reverend:

Found a wheels mag from sept 2001 where they did a comparo, here were some performance stuff they got out of it, i think other mags got better though.

personally i would go the barra 220 or boss 260 if thats an option
Old 28-12-2006, 01:17 PM   #36
Steffo
LPG > You

Quote:
The average BA 6 will run 15.5-15.7 (wheels figures for XR6 and Futura)

The 3V V8 auto would run low 15s. Don't forget that peak power arrives at 4700rpm.
Don't take Wheels figures too seriously. Firstly they're run two-up, and secondly... the devices they use to measure the acceleration of the cars always read slower results then the drag strip.

Also, the BA1 XT 6cyl did 15.2 in Motor.... and Motor use the same VBox thing to measure performance.
LPG Lovers Association President & Member #1.

:
Steffo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-12-2006, 01:19 PM   #37
Steffo
LPG > You

Quote:
Three tenths at the strip is slaughter... very noticeable difference. And alot of people spend alot of time & effort to knock 3 tenths off their times...

:
Old 28-12-2006, 01:22 PM   #38
b2tf
not here much anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR8fella
Mine is :Reverend:
Mine isn't :
Old 28-12-2006, 01:25 PM   #39
Lukeyson
Right out sideways

Quote:
Originally Posted by b2tf
Mine isn't :
well dont you just suck then out:
i was spewin, the only time i have driven through an unrestricted speed highway in my ute, wind her up, and i find it has a limiter, i wasnt even out of 4th !!!! i wasnt impressed. lol. mines an Oct 01 build, whens yours built out of curiousity ???
Old 28-12-2006, 01:26 PM   #40
Piotr
Non-Regular Member

Quote:
Don't take Wheels figures too seriously. Firstly they're run two-up, and secondly... the devices they use to measure the acceleration of the cars always read slower results then the drag strip.
But all the cars are tested under the same conditions so you are still about to find out which one is quicker and by how much.
Piotr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-12-2006, 01:43 PM   #41
1600GT

my 2 cents

having both an AUII XR8 220kw and a BAII XR8 260kw in the shed (well, the AU is the wife's), having driven both, and having been a victim of the headaches my BA has caused, i'd go for an AU XR8 over ANY BA V8.... even if it was a 290kw GT.

reasons are simple....
the AU goes just as good as the BA in a straight line due to the lesser weight, but the AU handles and stops far far better because of the same.
it amazes me that so many people still put all of their thinking of which car is better by how a car goes on the qtr., without a thought to how it stops or turns.
the last time i checked, roads had corners.... just like the corners in the road that leads to the drag strip....

also, the AU has been brilliant with it's reliability (*touches wood*), but the BA is just 1 problem after another. after new throttle bodies, ECU's, PCM's, auto's, and ALOT of other silly non-running gear bits, Ford now want to pull the heads of it because it has a weaping head gasket.... and all this in the first 50,000 km....
where as the AU has never missed a beat, and has just gone past 101,000 km.

anyway, my opinion...

Awesome Unit....
Bloody Awful....
1600GT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-12-2006, 01:49 PM   #42
Craig
RIP Craig - 13/11/08
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1600GT
my 2 cents

having both an AUII XR8 220kw and a BAII XR8 260kw in the shed (well, the AU is the wife's), having driven both, and having been a victim of the headaches my BA has caused, i'd go for an AU XR8 over ANY BA V8.... even if it was a 290kw GT.

reasons are simple....
the AU goes just as good as the BA in a straight line due to the lesser weight, but the AU handles and stops far far better because of the same.
it amazes me that so many people still put all of their thinking of which car is better by how a car goes on the qtr., without a thought to how it stops or turns.
the last time i checked, roads had corners.... just like the corners in the road that leads to the drag strip....

also, the AU has been brilliant with it's reliability (*touches wood*), but the BA is just 1 problem after another. after new throttle bodies, ECU's, PCM's, auto's, and ALOT of other silly non-running gear bits, Ford now want to pull the heads of it because it has a weaping head gasket.... and all this in the first 50,000 km....
where as the AU has never missed a beat, and has just gone past 101,000 km.

anyway, my opinion...

Awesome Unit....
Bloody Awful....

Fair comments dude can't argue with you there and i feel for you with your BA but mine is 42,000kms old and has NEVER been back to ford for any warranty or problems ever, it's truly been a great car, my old BA XT only had 1 issue with an ABS sensor in the 25,000 kms i had that. Sorry to hear about your dramas but i just love the BA's and have a soft spot for the AU....

Cheers Craig
Craig is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-12-2006, 01:56 PM   #43
1600GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig@ACE
Fair comments dude can't argue with you there and i feel for you with your BA but mine is 42,000kms old and has NEVER been back to ford for any warranty or problems ever, it's truly been a great car, my old BA XT only had 1 issue with an ABS sensor in the 25,000 kms i had that. Sorry to hear about your dramas but i just love the BA's and have a soft spot for the AU....

Cheers Craig
ahhhh i see what the prob is with mine now!!
i had an XH XR8, in white, before my BA, which is yellow...
the XH was a ripper of a car.
i did 140,000 km in it, and the only prob EVER was a broken accelerator cable.

now, u've had no probs with your BA, and it's white too...

sooo, the white ones are the good-uns, while yellow should be a sign of a 'lemon'!!

Cheers tho Craig, and good to hear that youre having a great run with it.
And well done on the work and achievements u have gotten with your developments too!!

Brett
1600GT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-12-2006, 02:12 PM   #44
Steffo
LPG > You

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piotr
But all the cars are tested under the same conditions so you are still about to find out which one is quicker and by how much.
No they're not. XT 6cyl and V8 were tested on different days, that throws that out the window completley. Same day, same track, same driver is what you want. And Motor/Wheels often fail to deliver, even sometimes in one on one car comparo's.

:
Old 28-12-2006, 02:17 PM   #45
sbutler
335 kw of goodness

Quote:
AU XR8 185kW = 15.2 - 14.8

AUII XR8 200kW = 14.8 - 14.5

AUIII XR8 220kW = 14.6 - 14.3

BA XT 220kW = 15.1 - 14.9

The 5.0 has way more aftermarket and way more time in development. And in any AU XR8 form should be able to at least match, if not see off the 220 3V in stock form. Obviously the times above are with better drivers and/or conditions. You won't necessarily get into a 220 and run 14.3 in it, lots of stuff can vary... but that's about what they're capable of.
I doubt some the motoring claims for times run.
We did concistent mid to low 14s in our stock 3V 220 manual.
The key to a fast time in a 220 3V is to stay away from the 5200rpm rev limit.

2012 GTP 213 black what was I thinking? NOW FOR SALE>>
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11439680
sbutler is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-12-2006, 02:19 PM   #46
Piotr
Non-Regular Member

Yes steffo, you can't compare any car at all because of instantanious changes in air pressure, wind and temperature. Looks like we'll never know how they compare
Piotr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-12-2006, 02:35 PM   #47
Steffo
LPG > You

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piotr
Yes steffo, you can't compare any car at all because of instantanious changes in air pressure, wind and temperature. Looks like we'll never know how they compare
You can compare anything whenever/however you like sure, but not as accurately. Ask anyone you like, the best comparison is done same day same driver same track.

:
Old 28-12-2006, 02:36 PM   #48
Steffo
LPG > You

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbutler
I doubt some the motoring claims for times run.
We did concistent mid to low 14s in our stock 3V 220 manual.
The key to a fast time in a 220 3V is to stay away from the 5200rpm rev limit.
Hey, if I'm wrong, feel free to correct. Mid to low 14's is actually pretty good.

:
Old 28-12-2006, 03:34 PM   #49
Beetus
Now drifting a falcon

Ok? but the thing is im going for a ute............?
Old 28-12-2006, 03:44 PM   #50
sbutler
335 kw of goodness

Quote:
Hey, if I'm wrong, feel free to correct. Mid to low 14's is actually pretty good.
No mate not correctmg you just stating what we have done with out 3V whan standard.
We have since did a twin cat back, CAI & K&N,, high 13s all day now..

Back to the thread title though.
I'd still lean towards the 3V 220 over the Tickford 220..If were talking utes of cause..

Old 28-12-2006, 06:24 PM   #51
Beetus
Now drifting a falcon

how much is a new bf 230 v8 with the manual and the full body not the tray? how bout something like that?
Old 28-12-2006, 07:58 PM   #52
FRANCIS220
Starter Motor

HI ALL i also have a BA and a AU the BA is a 6 and the AU is an xr8 fitted with the 220kw motor i like the other readers have had numerous problems with my BA where as my AU has been flawless not one major issue go the AU!!! I find even the build quality better, bits have fallen of my BA how can a 5 year old car be better than the current model.
FRANCIS220 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-12-2006, 08:34 PM   #53
fordAU

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtfpv
au III XR8 MANUAL TIMES were officially quoted as the 1st v8 to match a gtho phIII at 14.4 quarter from factory . nowadays a 190 barra will pull high 14's all day auto.
The only way the Barra I drive on a daily basis would get into the 14's would be over a cliff, dont wish to come across as a smart a*rse but no way they are that quick, high 15's would be about right.
fordAU is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-12-2006, 08:44 PM   #54
sbutler
335 kw of goodness

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordAU
The only way the Barra I drive on a daily basis would get into the 14's would be over a cliff, dont wish to come across as a smart a*rse but no way they are that quick, high 15's would be about right.
Were talking V8 not I6 here!!
A 220 3Valve V8 in a ute/trayback will do mid 14s all day, with a few cheap mods high 13s.

Old 28-12-2006, 09:00 PM   #55
fordAU

Read his post again, a 190 barra is not a V8.
Yes the 3V will certaintly do high 14's all day long.
fordAU is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-12-2006, 09:31 PM   #56
FRANCIS220
Starter Motor

sorry misunderstood my au is still better than my ba though
FRANCIS220 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-12-2006, 09:38 PM   #57
Powdered Toast Man
Professional Mouse Jockey

I think the only way to solve this is to go test drive them yourself and see which one you like driving better. Sometimes the car with the slower numbers can feel faster depending on how it puts the power down and when. Like already mentioned there is more to a car than just its 0-100 and quarter mile times, well in my opinion anyway.

While my BA (5.4 3V sedan, sorry not a ute) doesnt feel the most nimble of machines (they are heavy) it is very comfortable to drive. I havent had any bits fall off or break (yet?) but looking at how the interior is wearing, patches on door trim & fading seat and its and an 05 model with only 14000kms, I dont think it will be as long lasting as previous models (I may be wrong, time will tell). But I love the styling, even if it is a bit boring, and like I said its a pleasure to sit in and drive.

Well thats my 2c anyway.

Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana. Groucho Marx
Powdered Toast Man is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-12-2006, 09:57 PM   #58
b2tf
not here much anymore

Whenever these threads come up it's always the same answers and almost from the same people every time. AU is better, BA is better bla bla.

The simple answer is we're not the ones buying the car - you are, so you have to be happy with the choice you make. Go and drive both.

FWIW, in my opinion, the AU is the driver's car, if you want straight out go, that V8 sound and relatively easy modability, the windsor is the go. To me (and before we all jump in, remember this is my opinion), the BA feels like it's wrapped in cotton wool. Granted, the BA interior IMHO beats the AU one hands down due to all its mod cons (ICC etc), but overall as a vehicle, BA feels like it's just surrounded by so much more that it overshadows the performance of the car.

There's more to it than qtr mile figures to me, Ive driven plenty of BA's and AU's, and currently own an AU XR8 Ute, and I find it to be easier to "drive", than a BA.

If you want good go with plenty of mod cons go the BA, if you want straight out no bs ability to really push the car hard, go the AU. Just my humble opinion.
Old 29-12-2006, 12:55 AM   #59
Beetus
Now drifting a falcon

whats better to super charge............i spose tthe au coz u can get it cheaper and spend a little on the engine
Old 29-12-2006, 12:58 AM   #60
FPV8U
BOSS 5.4L Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beetus
whats better to super charge............i spose tthe au coz u can get it cheaper and spend a little on the engine
I'd say the 3V would be the better engine for this as they S/C alot of them in the states.

Best bet is to go drive them both, see which you like as has been said, then talk mods.
FPV8U is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post