Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 03-01-2015, 02:33 PM   #31
Itsme
Experienced Member

Default Re: Tow car/ute opinions

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIONIC MAN View Post
Well that's a good point, and I think it use to be the case, but now, it always concerns me when we have all these "plastic" utes, all trying to out do each other, all rated to tow maximum 3.5 ton towing capacity... Yeh that's all well and good in a straight line.. But try and avoid an object on the road, or an accident.. And the weight of the trailer will just take over and flip the tow car, run it off the road etc.
Not to mention that at that kind of maximum weight, the trailer would have to be very carefully loaded and properly secured... Which often they are not.
You just answered your own comment to me when towing a caravan, the ute will be lighter over the rear wheels than a sedan hence it pays to have some weight in the back.

Quote:
That whole light in the back thing was perhaps more true in the xy days..
Don't agree at all with this quote, I have had early model utes right up to the FG.
Itsme is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-01-2015, 03:22 PM   #32
Ford Falcon XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZedTee View Post
The way a car will tow a load is VERY dependant on how the load is loaded. It is also dependant on what the tow car is, alot to do with the weight of the tow car. My BA Xr8 ute has towed loaded car trailers many of times and i'm just about to load it up again with a mates V8 wb holden to bring it up from gippsland. Taking the extra time to ensure that the ute is sitting at the perfect point on the trailer to load the tow bar with the ideal weight and having the car straight on the trailer will make a big difference to how straight it will sit on the highway. making sure it's sitting right on the trailer will make the difference from it pushing you around to towing well.
Whatever car you decide with on your list will be good. If you want a fun car to drive and occasionally tow a load, you couldn't go far wrong with what you mentioned. The only thing I was thinking was that I was under the impression the turbo's are not rated to tow well as the extra CONSTANT load on the turbo and engine might run things too hot, as in producing hight boost for too long, Someone who knows alot about the turbo motors might want to clear that up.
Cheers
I was leaning towards a v8 I like the power delivery better than a turbo. And IMO I think in the long run they are a bit more reliable. I'll probably use my XH this year as i'll only be making a few short trips to the exhaust shop and tuners. I might upgrade late this year most likely into a Bf xr8. I'll get a mate that towed a few car to help me load it the first time to make sure I get it right.
Thanks for the advice everyone
Ford Falcon XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 03-01-2015, 05:59 PM   #33
BIONIC MAN
Two turning.. two burning

[QUOTE=trublu;5295966]You just answered your own comment to me when towing a caravan, the ute will be lighter over the rear wheels than a sedan hence it pays to have some weight in the back.

Didn't say anything about the weight in the tray being a problem? It's weight.. Or lack of it, on the tow ball that creates an unstable towing situation.
You disagree with me.. But provide no facts or logic how a ute that is heavier than a sedan equivalent, and has identical front architecture, could possibly be lighter in the rear?
Just because you have owned utes.. Doesn't mean much. Had any of them on corner scales and measured the F-R weight bias?

BLOWN, 2013 FPV GS UTE
TURBO TERRITORY GHIA
545ci XB GS UTE
Daily, 2006 F250 crew cab
BA2 Fairmont Ghia
BIONIC MAN is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post