Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 29-03-2021, 02:24 PM   #1
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Default Re: Comrade Dan's government has covertly intorduced a new level of surveillance?

Quote:
Originally Posted by leesa
The numbers of men killing women far outnumber the numbers of women killing men. Why do people keep pulling the "but men....." whenever someone tries to mention the atrocious rates of men killing women in this country and general disadvantage women face?

Domestic violence and women killed by men is a topic quite close to my heart, of course I remember their names. Are you really asking me why I don't give murdered men equal space in my memory?
Take it to reddit, we don't want this SJW crap on an automotive forum ffs.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 29-03-2021, 09:25 PM   #2
zipping
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Comrade Dan's government has covertly intorduced a new level of surveillance?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8 View Post
Especially a Ford Forum.

Wherever people lie on the political spectrum.....Henry Ford did more for the underprivileged and working class man than any other human on the planet (before and after him).

His vision and ability to mass produce cars cheaply provided freedom of movement to the masses that unlocked untold wealth and lifted most of the western world into the middle class. His ideas were easily transferable to other items further enriching everyone.

No doubt Henry was flawed as we all are, but his ideas led to freedom for the common people something that all here should be aware of and celebrate.

If you read the history of Fomoco you should also be aware that Henry monitored his workforce and attempted to influence their behaviours in his own ideals.

This was a dark chapter in the Ford history, not all that far removed from the discussion at the outset of this thread. Rightly people were outraged and that was 100 years ago.

Surveillance imo is always presented as a good idea but always tends to be abused by those in control of it. OTOH our phones are pretty much telling big tech everything anyway.
zipping is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 29-03-2021, 04:48 PM   #3
leesa

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydee View Post
Getting off topic and about to turn into a big blue.
It's on topic, the cctv network is being expanded to improve visibility of crimes commited and deter offenders. A big part of that is assaults on women. It's also why lighting is being installed everywhere so there are fewer dark spots at night
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 29-03-2021, 08:05 PM   #4
PG2
#neuteredlyfe
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydee View Post
Getting off topic and about to turn into a big blue.
Yep...

Take this as a warning everyone.

Despite what most think, I don't like closing threads but at the same time, we don't tolerate members having little digs at each other to get a reaction.

It's simple, discuss it like adults, and the thread stays open - start having pot shots at each other and the thread will be closed.
PG2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
6 users like this post:
Old 29-03-2021, 07:14 PM   #5
leesa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8 View Post
It's The Bar [not needed]

When someone posts a topic you get to hear all sides of it and not just the ones that appeal to you. CCTV is being expanded and a big part of that is to help women.

Last edited by PG2; 29-03-2021 at 07:58 PM. Reason: you are lucky that I just don't delete the whole post like I normally do.
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 29-03-2021, 09:33 PM   #6
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Let them know your thoughts through their YouTube channel if you must.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ZSSQN4ny8o

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YchFZvWafe8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_TphOEJgrEo

Last edited by Ben73; 29-03-2021 at 09:47 PM.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 29-03-2021, 10:30 PM   #7
JasonACT
Away on leave

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Outstanding work on the FG ICC issues. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The insane amount of work he has put into the Falcon FG ICC is unbelievable. He has shared everything he has done and made a great deal of it available to us all. He has definitely helped a great deal of us with no personal gains to himself. 

After the fact maybe, last time I saw some video of an idiot doing bad things, they weren't paying attention to the CCTV. So it's easier to catch "them" but you're actually no safer really.

There's an endless supply of morons. Limited space in prisons though.

And I own a Falcon.
JasonACT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 29-03-2021, 10:38 PM   #8
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

I have sympathy for the people whose misfortune is documented post factum by CCTV. How must it feel for their families, to see the king-hit, the out-of-control driver, the muzzle flash? Let alone when it is whored out to the media with passing deference, to fill the space between advertisements.
Citroënbender is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 29-03-2021, 10:34 PM   #9
Giant Cranium
PURSUIT 250
Donating Member2

i asked my wife if she would feel safer if every street had a camera and she said yes, thats all i need to know. as a large male i used to feel safe walking through harlem in nyc. its upsetting that women can't feel the same in an australian city
Giant Cranium is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
6 users like this post:
Old 30-03-2021, 10:14 AM   #10
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Well to put some automotive perspective on it, anyone seen that vid on FB with the 3 people stealing that HSV?

While it is staggering it appears to be broad day light, if there was no security footage then there is little proof until the car is in bits.

The car may still end up in bits, but atleast some kind of justice can be followed with evidence.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 30-03-2021, 10:35 AM   #11
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Given whats been happening, Scotty could do with some more CCTV's inside Parliament house Canberra.

roKWiz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 30-03-2021, 11:37 AM   #12
zipping
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'm sure the citizens of Hong Kong were all for their CCTV system too, until they weren't.

Just recently

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-china-55555299

The problem with big government infrastructure is that its all great when set up but never underestimate the ability of governments to turn on certain classes of people.
zipping is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
7 users like this post:
Old 30-03-2021, 03:47 PM   #13
Trevor 57
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by zipping View Post
I'm sure the citizens of Hong Kong were all for their CCTV system too, until they weren't.

Just recently

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-china-55555299

The problem with big government infrastructure is that its all great when set up but never underestimate the ability of governments to turn on certain classes of people.
wait until I find my tin foil hat
Trevor 57 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-03-2021, 11:58 AM   #14
FairmontGS
WT GT
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by roKWiz View Post
Given whats been happening, Scotty could do with some more CCTV's inside Parliament house Canberra.
One in Dan's office as well when the quarantine guard contracts were being signed would have been handy
FairmontGS is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-03-2021, 06:53 PM   #15
hawke
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technology currently exists for facial recognition to pick faces out of a crowd, measure numbers of people in areas, pickup on people who have not moved for some time and leave luggage behind.

Last time I caught a plane in China, didn’t need to show my ID, their camera had checked my face at the gate. Indeed, as I walked around the Airport - Xian - and stood in front of a screen, the screen picked me out of the crowd, and showed what flight I was on, and gave me directions to the gate.
hawke is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 30-03-2021, 08:01 PM   #16
CoupeKing
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The Handmaid's Tale.
CoupeKing is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-03-2021, 09:45 PM   #17
au2000
AKA "the other bloke"

Speaking of old comrade dan....... anyone seen him or has he defected ?
His: 2012 FG II GS, Vanish
His: 2003 BA GT-P, Lightening Strike
Jnr: 2002 AU III Falcon XR6 ST, 5 speed Blueprint & 1978 XC Fairmont Neptune Blue

Previous:
1976 HX 50th Anniversary Kingswood
2014 FGX G6E Turbo
1980 XD Falcon GL
2003 BA Falcon XR6
1991 EB Falcon S
1989 EA Fairmont
1982 XE Fairmont
1968 XT Falcon
au2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-03-2021, 09:47 PM   #18
JasonACT
Away on leave

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Outstanding work on the FG ICC issues. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The insane amount of work he has put into the Falcon FG ICC is unbelievable. He has shared everything he has done and made a great deal of it available to us all. He has definitely helped a great deal of us with no personal gains to himself. 

(Ok, you may notice I post images of Alfred E. Neuman sometimes... So, yeah, I saw one of these in Mad Magazine back in the early 80's. Good memories, actually, these days my only truly solid memories.)
JasonACT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 31-03-2021, 01:59 AM   #19
Charliewool
Bolt Nerd
Donating Member3

https://youtu.be/oeT5otk2R1g
2 wheels.. 2015 103ci HD Wideglide.. SOLD
SOLD THE LOT, Voted with our feet and relocated to COSTA RICA for some Pura Vida!
(Ex Blood Orange #023 FPV Pursuit owner : )
Charliewool is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-04-2021, 12:05 AM   #20
Trendseeker

I think CCTV cameras in public places are a deterrent and improve safety. It doesn’t stop crime completely because the criminals overlook the presence of cameras that aren’t in obvious places.

It is possible to overdo it though. I drive past the house in the photo below once in awhile. When I first saw the cameras years ago, I thought it could be a criminal figure’s stronghold. Then I wondered if the owner had some kind of phobia. I drove past it again the other day and it has even more cameras than you can see in the photo, which I copied from Streetview. I’d take a current photo but the cameras discourage me from going near it. Maybe that’s the point.

And here is the view of the backyard; the house is on a corner block. More cameras.

Old 01-04-2021, 12:22 AM   #21
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

Never mind the cameras, what a terrible way to butcher a ‘20s bungalow.

By the styling cues, I’m tipping the occupants are a Serbian couple in their seventies.
Citroënbender is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 01-04-2021, 09:08 AM   #22
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Where's the moat ?

Hideous, but nothing a D9 wouldn't fix.

2 users like this post:
Old 01-04-2021, 10:55 AM   #23
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trendseeker View Post
I think CCTV cameras in public places are a deterrent and improve safety. It doesn’t stop crime completely because the criminals overlook the presence of cameras that aren’t in obvious places.
You've nailed it there.

If CCTVs don't work, then lets remove them from airports, hospitals etc. And remove all red light and speed cameras.

I'll tell you what is a problem...dash cams and posting people who made minor errors on public websites and shaming.
T3rminator is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-04-2021, 01:57 PM   #24
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by T3rminator View Post
You've nailed it there.

If CCTVs don't work, then lets remove them from airports, hospitals etc. And remove all red light and speed cameras.

I'll tell you what is a problem...dash cams and posting people who made minor errors on public websites and shaming.
Scott's car cameras or whatever that youtube channel is The amount of minor crap they post is amazing.
"Oh look this car only slowed to 1km/h at a stop sign post it online. They must be shamed!!"
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 01-04-2021, 09:41 AM   #25
FairmontGS
WT GT
Donating Member3

I bet most of them aren't even connected. Very odd.
FairmontGS is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-04-2021, 10:28 AM   #26
Tickford.
🚫⏰4️⃣🐃💩

I think the OP has DDS (Dan Derangement Syndrome)..

Here's a photo of the same intersection from 2007.. notice anything??

Covertly indeed! The OP's username says it all really.
Tickford. is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 01-04-2021, 06:47 PM   #27
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tickford. View Post
I think the OP has DDS (Dan Derangement Syndrome)..

Here's a photo of the same intersection from 2007.. notice anything??

Covertly indeed! The OP's username says it all really.
A pole with an antenna and a street light behind it.
Get your eyes tested.
Itsme is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-04-2021, 09:32 PM   #28
wodahs
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Officemanager View Post
A pole with an antenna and a street light behind it.
Get your eyes tested.
i dont know !
a camera thats pretending to be an antenna would seem to be more covert to me

rebuilding the zh fairlane with a clevo 400m 4v heads injected whipple blown with aode 4 speed trans to a 9" ....... we'll get there eventually

just remember don't be afraid to try something new.
Remember, amateurs built the Ark...Professionals built the Titanic!

I have taken up meditation... at least it's better than sitting around doing nothing !!
wodahs is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-04-2021, 08:59 AM   #29
roKWiz
Cabover nut

This thread has got me thinking of all the security that starting appearing in Sydney 30 years ago, with its street cameras, even older harbour bridge toll booth camera system, Darling Harbour precinct, the huge railway fencing off/camera program and hwy cameras along the lines of safety cam.
What happened back then in NSW seems to be filtering down to the other more sedate states.
Walking home yesterday, I was pondered the fact we don't even have fencing enclosing the railway lines here in country Victoria. Fences only start to appear on the outskirts of Melb.
Regularly live in both states, with ocassional cross into QLD.

2 users like this post:
Old 01-04-2021, 08:24 PM   #30
AMB
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always has a helpful answer in the technical sections, wether it's giving information on a simple diagnosis with a small issue, Helping someone fix their car if they are stuck on removing/installing something, or just need information on what works how. 

Cheaper than having police patrolling the streets, and it remembers everything. If anything happens they just go through the footage...cant stop em but you can get em after.
AMB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post