Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 05-02-2011, 12:08 PM   #31
FPV8U
BOSS 5.4L Enthusiast

Rain hit us pretty hard here in Traralgon last night, much the same as many memebers here i live on high ground so the chances of me flooding are little to none but im sure the "regular" spots will be under water, especially as the rain has been fairly consistant all morning, can't jump in the car and have a look as im pretty much house bound for the nex 2-3 days minimum with an injury.

Glad to know it's not just our council that CBF doing it's job ESP...
FPV8U is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-02-2011, 01:07 PM   #32
Ralliart
2011 A New Fresh Start

i just came back from being out, Knox city cinema carpark is a swimming pool, Ferntree gully road lights are out, Pot holes everything , stud road was flooded its absolute mayhem.
Old 05-02-2011, 01:29 PM   #33
tweeked
N/A all the way

We got smashed in Elwood. The courtyard outside the master bedroom has a drain in it. this had a spout of water at least 6 inches wide coming out of it. Had a river running through my unit. Two bedrooms of carpet under 1 inch of water. I am moving out on Monday anyway - guess there is no need to steam clean the carpet now!

tweeked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-02-2011, 01:37 PM   #34
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Location: Mod For: Pub, Bar, Sales Yard, Show 'N Shine, Photoshop, AU to BF, FG to FGX, Territory & Sports Bar
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Many years of valuable contributions to the forum, including some superb build threads. 

i'm near Narre Warren and coming back from the city last night was like hover-crafting. Gippsland hwy was closed via Dandenong and the SE exit, tried to get back through berwick, was closed near the railway, Thompsons road was too far under water to risk it, took an extra 1.5 hours to finally head past the bad areas. The Princes Hwy was also nearly cut near Springvale.
Professor Farnsworth is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-02-2011, 01:40 PM   #35
Jason[98.EL]
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by tweeked
We got smashed in Elwood. The courtyard outside the master bedroom has a drain in it. this had a spout of water at least 6 inches wide coming out of it. Had a river running through my unit. Two bedrooms of carpet under 1 inch of water. I am moving out on Monday anyway - guess there is no need to steam clean the carpet now!
hope you got pics so you can prove it was from the drain you could loose your bond if you dont have proof and you might find that you are still req to clean the carpets as you are still living there

Jason

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Jason[98.EL] is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-02-2011, 02:00 PM   #36
Powdered Toast Man
Professional Mouse Jockey

Most of Pakenham was flooded last night. I had to chase my bin down the street before I could bring it in lol. The house in on a slight rise so luckily no issues. Unlike a house down the street that is built down in the ground where the residents were frantically using buckets. Unfortunatley it didnt work looking at the state of it today.

Went for a drive this morning, Princes hwy closed in Officer, heavily flooded. Freeway parcially blocked somewhere along it as cars were coming up the on ramp. The Princes Hwy through town is progressively getting worse, as the Tomuc creek is still rising. I just managed to get through with the water at about 1/4 wheel hieght. Many businesses and houses in the area are under water. I'll upload some photos later.

First time I've ever been anywhere near a flood, and this is only minor compared to the QLD and Nth Vic floods.

Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana. Groucho Marx
Powdered Toast Man is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-02-2011, 03:17 PM   #37
Ralliart
2011 A New Fresh Start

Tirhatuan Park Down in my area has over flooded it banks, here are some pictures i toke

Old 05-02-2011, 03:27 PM   #38
Ptbl
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

this is on narre crannie rd

The XR Build That I Shouldn't Of Sold
DAMN!

Current Daily: 2007 crown majesta 186
weekeder: 91 soarer
project: 2005 Bmw e46 coupe 1jz
bf mk2 xr6 ute magnet
Ptbl is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-02-2011, 04:05 PM   #39
Fled74
The Thread Killa

A friend of mine lives in Werribee South and the water in parts of her house was ankle-deep.

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." - Aristotle
Fled74 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-02-2011, 04:06 PM   #40
Ralliart
2011 A New Fresh Start

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=poyijYrGI1U
Old 05-02-2011, 04:28 PM   #41
pauljh74
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ptbl
this is on narre crannie rd

Flooded it mate?
Not bad for a #2 driver
Mark Webber after winning the 2010 British Grand Prix.
pauljh74 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-02-2011, 04:36 PM   #42
Ptbl
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

not my car just a random thourght id post it lol

my car was at home safe was driving dads au lol

i was stuck near hallum pub for ages yesturday .. coudnt head to dandy or go home.
sat it out in the car.. this morning i drove .. got home unscaved.

soo many breakdowns all over! just dumped cars the owners nowhere to be seen.

The XR Build That I Shouldn't Of Sold
DAMN!

Current Daily: 2007 crown majesta 186
weekeder: 91 soarer
project: 2005 Bmw e46 coupe 1jz
bf mk2 xr6 ute magnet
Ptbl is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-02-2011, 04:58 PM   #43
charles_wif_xf
Purveyor of filth

I was walking to the Heart match last night when the storm hit. It flooded Swan St where it passes under the rail tracks, at least a foot and a half of water, if not more. Cars parked in that area began to float lol.
charles_wif_xf is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-02-2011, 05:13 PM   #44
Danny
GT4.

Sounds like Yasi did more to us than what it did to FNQ when it hit as an armageddon bringing, lock up your children end of the world Cat5 that the media were touting...
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-02-2011, 05:29 PM   #45
tex
Broken

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: With the exception of maybe HSE2, nobody writes a review like Texy. 

Sure was some heavy rain you blokes have had. Driving from the city this morning towards the Hume was very trecerous. Locals obviously deal with this often, as most ploughed on through 50mm deep pooled water on the freeways at above the dry road speed designation.

Nuts, and I witnessed one little Mazda car aquaplane across two lanes of freeway on a straight stretch of road. bet that got their blood pumping!

Bugger me, they only slowed briefely, then off they went at the 'limit' (or more)

11.4 @ 128, 1.88 60ft.
tex is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-02-2011, 05:40 PM   #46
charles_wif_xf
Purveyor of filth

You're not the only one tex. On the way home last night, I lost count of how many nufties I saw charging down 70km/h posted roads at a lot greater speed than that in as you said, about 50mm of water on the road, it was bizarre. Do people see that as a challenge, how fast they can go through it? I'm there in the left lane burbling along at 50km/h (if that), the wipers were at double speed and yet the morons kept shooting past me.
Old 05-02-2011, 05:44 PM   #47
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by charles_wif_xf
You're not the only one tex. On the way home last night, I lost count of how many nufties I saw charging down 70km/h posted roads at a lot greater speed than that in as you said, about 50mm of water on the road, it was bizarre. Do people see that as a challenge, how fast they can go through it? I'm there in the left lane burbling along at 50km/h (if that), the wipers were at double speed and yet the morons kept shooting past me.
Speed limit conditioning, its safe to do 70km/h remember?
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-02-2011, 05:49 PM   #48
charles_wif_xf
Purveyor of filth

They would have been less dangerous if they were actually doing the posted limit, these nutjobs were nudging a hundred clicks!
Old 05-02-2011, 06:38 PM   #49
fordomatic
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny
Sounds like Yasi did more to us than what it did to FNQ when it hit as an armageddon bringing, lock up your children end of the world Cat5 that the media were touting...

you serious mate, it was extremely bad, had it of hit townsville or cairns it would have been an extremely different story. have you been to tully yet? well i have, i can tell you that almost half of the lacals have been evacuated as they have no house to go to. the far north is a mess right now and i cant believe you said that the media over exaggerated.
fordomatic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-02-2011, 07:33 PM   #50
EVL BOS
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

heres a video from a mate he lives on killara rd in gruyere near the school
thats a shot of killara rd its lapping at the bottom of the orange sign nice and deep

Daily: UA11 BiTurbo Everest
Weekend Project 1999 AU XR8
Past rides:

Mondeo XR5 Turbo

RIP: FGX XR8 MANUAL Build Thread:
http://fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11447239

AU Fairlane Sparkling Burgundy thread:
http://fordforums.com.au/showthread....61#post5854961

UX explorer limited

FOCUS ST,

UT Explorer limited Written OFF

BA XR8
Build Thread:
http://fordforums.com.au/showthread....1299363&page=7

AU XR6 VCT

ED GLI Classic
EVL BOS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-02-2011, 08:35 PM   #51
benoxr
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordomatic
you serious mate, it was extremely bad, had it of hit townsville or cairns it would have been an extremely different story. have you been to tully yet? well i have, i can tell you that almost half of the lacals have been evacuated as they have no house to go to. the far north is a mess right now and i cant believe you said that the media over exaggerated.

Dont be too hard on him fordomatic. Just showed a bit of ignorance I think. Yasi was catastrophic but when it didnt hit the big cities, it was all anti-climax for him. Seems the people in NQ that did get affected and/or were in smaller areas and on farms dont matter.
R.I.P. Jarrad 22/05/83 - 08/12/02
benoxr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-02-2011, 09:12 PM   #52
Ralliart
2011 A New Fresh Start

Quote:
Originally Posted by EVL BOS
heres a video from a mate he lives on killara rd in gruyere near the school
thats a shot of killara rd its lapping at the bottom of the orange sign nice and deep
thats similar i toke of the park near my house
Old 05-02-2011, 09:29 PM   #53
brenx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My backyard got flooded (Pakenham). Water was 1" off coming in my back doorway. Once the down pour started I decided I'd take a look out the back. My Mrs had done some gardening and managed to block one of the drains. Within 5 mins I had water 3" deep in my yard. Wandered out and unblocked the drain but the drain was too overwhelmed by that time to flow enough water. Water then proceeded upward to get to the 2nd drain and kept rising till I had a mote around my house. Water ended up being around 6-8 inches deep.

I've now come to realise I was correct and the builder of my home cut the block too deep into the land. Why? Both properties on either side are higher and drain into my property. I might have to put more drainage in to make sure this doesn't happen again.

Pics attached.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0196.JPG (113.7 KB, 61 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0197.JPG (80.9 KB, 59 views)

Tuned by Hallam Performance
brenx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-02-2011, 09:41 PM   #54
WMD351
Size it up

Got to love the number of people who think "yeah I can drive through that"
Waist deep in my street. Can't find anybody local who's ever seen it like that before.
WMD351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-02-2011, 09:56 PM   #55
boss-290

is anyone elses foxtel not working?
Old 05-02-2011, 10:50 PM   #56
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Location: Mod For: Pub, Bar, Sales Yard, Show 'N Shine, Photoshop, AU to BF, FG to FGX, Territory & Sports Bar
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Many years of valuable contributions to the forum, including some superb build threads. 

i've got about 400 pics to post so get ready for some laggy loading times shortly.. just taking screen caps of my video i took today.
Professor Farnsworth is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-02-2011, 11:00 PM   #57
XRGhia
meh.
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Contributions in the technical arena. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauljh74
Flooded it mate?

I WAS GONNA SAY THAT... anyone who owns an RTV and hasn't seen that ad, should look it up

back on topic..
i just want to say, lets hope all of australia gets back on its feet, and back to normal, as this is all just unimaginable
Old 05-02-2011, 11:22 PM   #58
kyro_02
V8 wannaabeee

i wish my 4wd was going, for sure i will be drowning it by now

you know what these sedans need? SNORKELS
image seeing a ba or au with a snorkel
kyro_02 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-02-2011, 12:45 AM   #59
Spanrz
Hmmmmmmm!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shum
lol I was one of the guys pushing those cars out.. I live just around the corner from there!
LOL
The 4 cars are still there....They have tried to start 2 of them, no good.
They really got saturated.

I'm posting a vid up tonight of what happeed around our area.
Though it's taking youtube a hell of a long time to post 232mb. So far it's taken 4 hours just to do a 1/3 of it. :/
It got worse after I shot the video. It was really bizarre, I've seen it flood a few times like this, but I can tell you, this one takes the cake.

It was really weird, because where I was, it was apparently the only way in or out. I knew other areas were bad, but Narre-Cranny road @ Casey Central looks spastic.
Spanrz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-02-2011, 01:43 AM   #60
Danny
GT4.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordomatic
Was it bad? Yes.
Did it destroy homes and property? Yes.
Is it a terrible setback for those affected and has it caused sadness for those in its wake? Yes.

Was it armageddon? No,
Was it the end of the world? No
Has it caused widespread death, destruction, and unrecoverable hardship? No.

Don't worry mate, I appreciate the force that was Yasi, I was more having a (much deserved) poke at the irresponsible media, who scaremongered, sensationalised, and exploited the people who were in the path of Yasi before it hit simply for their ratings (Today Tonight, ACA, I'm pointing squarely at YOU).

The hype and the downright irresponsible manner they reported the coming cyclone in the hours beforehand was disgraceful, and would have done nothing to help those battening down the hatches stay positive.

I lived in Cairns when Justin hit in 97' That was bad enough. I cant begin to appreciate what you guys are going through.

-Dan
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post