Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 29-09-2010, 09:43 AM   #31
OLDFORDNUT
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XYLINC
I agree, when living in Melbourne some years ago I advertised a dirt bike for sale. Got a call from a keen buyer, sounded genuine, gave him my address to inspect the bike and made an appointment that night. He didnt turn up that night and the following night it was stolen. I have no doubts it was the same guy. I dont have the same concerns living where I do but if I was living back in a capital city or close to one I would not hand out my address so easily. Having had 4 cars and a dirt bike stolen over the years I really dont want to go through all that pain again.
Holy hell ive never heard of anyone been robbed so many times,did you lose them in one big theft or 4 seperate times bud,
did you run over a whole chinamans family,lol
OLDFORDNUT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-09-2010, 12:26 PM   #32
BOSHOG
avenge me

Quote:
Originally Posted by global88
There is a nice thread on car scammers in another forum i hang out at, there is a guy thats been found to take heaps of people for a ride, nearer to the last pages people are posting that they have been sucked in by the same scammer.

He offers a car cheap in another state and offers to transport it up for you after you have paid a deposit, the price is too good to refuse.....

http://www.austech.info/general-chat...ego-owner.html
i cant believe how stupid some people are, why on earth would you pay $5500 through western union just to view then test drive a car?
Old 29-09-2010, 12:48 PM   #33
302 XC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Seems like adjustments of similar scams
Theres a coupla cars here in QLD ATM on evilbay
With strict no viewing prior,money into account first before pik up

But seriously with all the scams running around are people that blinded

The viewing thing maybe (maybe sick of getting the run around ???)
Paying up front, well if i won the auction as such and i had to pik the car up in person
Wheres "cash"on pik up the issue

Ive got the "text" run around by some idiot
Send me like 20 texts in a day asking this n that
In the end i just told him,
If your for real,maybe ring me
Guess he didnt ring,must have been bored down at socialcircus

New age life style just makes people lazy
302 XC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-09-2010, 01:04 PM   #34
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by global88
There is a nice thread on car scammers in another forum i hang out at, there is a guy thats been found to take heaps of people for a ride, nearer to the last pages people are posting that they have been sucked in by the same scammer.

He offers a car cheap in another state and offers to transport it up for you after you have paid a deposit, the price is too good to refuse.....

http://www.austech.info/general-chat...ego-owner.html
Was reading that thread in the link and the first thing which made me truely laugh is the email from the scammer...

Quote:
ok had the detectives hat on all morning
the car is a scam

here is the email sent back to me this morning

G'Day!
Sorry for taking so long to reply, I'm a soldier serving in the Australian Air Force and I was transferred to a new military base in WA. I am providing Pre-Afghanistan Deployment Training (Desert Training).

If you are still interested in buying the car, I'm asking $5000. The car is road worthy. Rego until Oct 2010. It has a clear title, very well maintained, always garage kept, excellent condition, runs and sounds 100% perfect with no leaks or noises. I have to sell the car as fast as I can because in three weeks I will be deployed to Afghanistan and I'll stay there for a while. I intend to buy a new one when I get back home.

No need to worry about the car because it is here with me at the military base and I can ship it anywhere in Australia.
I also need to know if you have the cash to buy the car, if not when are you able to get it? You don't have to worry about the distance. You'll love the car, I can guarantee you that!

Firstly... the RAAF does NOT have SOLDIERS.... only the ARMY has soldiers.
The army do the fighting.
The RAAF drop bombs.
And the claim about being able to send the car anywhere in Australia is truely laughable... suggesting that he can put a civvie car on a Herc is he??
The fact that he doesnt use the name of the base where is supposely at...

If your going to be a scammer... learn the terms/ jargon of the person you intend to impercinate.

Then again then are lots of guilible people out there...

Don't write off the Goose until you see the box going into the hole....
Jim Goose is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-09-2010, 01:11 PM   #35
BOSHOG
avenge me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Goose
Then again then are lots of guilible people out there...
couldnt agree more
Old 29-09-2010, 01:33 PM   #36
Donny
Tickford 220kw Windsor...

I will add another possible scam attempt on one of my cars..

On Monday (27/09/2010) I was contacted by an Aussie person interested in buying my GT-P.. He left his name and number on my voice mail and I called him back after work. (If he is dodgy then the name is likely fake, and the number listed under the same or another fake ID)
Call started off innocently enough, breifly discussed the cars condition and price etc, he tried some bartering by trying to use redbook figures and then said he was looking to lease the car and that his leasing agent would contact me directly that day..

He said he was from Townsville and had a few XB GT's (a white one and a black one both with golde sunroofs), but when I threw a few names around of well known northern GT people and cars he didnt seem to know of them..
He wanted my name and address, which I didnt give him.. As my antennai were starting to twitch that things werent kosher..
He also said his lease agent would do all the inspecting of the car, and the agent would arrange a flat tray to take the car up to him, with the buyer not coming to see the car at all.. I also told him straight up that the car will not leave my place until I have confirmed 100% that the money is totally cleared and in my bank and accessable to me..

Guess what, Iv not heard back from anyone since.. This fella was very smooth and well spoken.. Well drilled and knew what he was doing.

I have a few rules in place for any sales of my cars.. No one gets my address until we do the actual deal, 1st car viewing is in a public place, negotiations can take place on the phone or at the 1st viewing. Before things go to the next level, I expect to see some bonafides aka ID etc.. The car will not leave my posession until funds are cleared into one of my accounts, and then transferred by me to another account within that same bank on a totally non connected account number.. That way I can be certain theres no holds or anything on that money..

It may all be legit, I dont know, but Im suspisious of everyone until I see the money.. Plus I dont know if you can lease a second hand car and dont know if leasing agents will do all the legwork for obtaining a car like this..

Thoughts??

Donny is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-09-2010, 01:52 PM   #37
blownvn
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Probably not advisable to do the viewing at the servo closest to your house and watch for people trying to follow you home. But somewhere with security cameras would be advisable.

In the US there's also a scam that's not so common here in Australia, but not unheard of here either.

Guy advertises a highly sort after car for a bargain price. On the phone he'll seem protective of his personal details like address and so forth. Wants to meet in person at a neutral location, but insists on cash because he's heard all kinds of stories about dud cheques and so forth.

You organise cash, go for the meet up and there's a couple guys waiting for you, one has a gun. You hand over the money and they take your cash & wallet, your car and your phone, and add the threat, "we know where you live".
I know this has happened in Western Sydney in a Bunning car park and a taser was used.
blownvn is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-09-2010, 01:53 PM   #38
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donny
I have a few rules in place for any sales of my cars.. No one gets my address until we do the actual deal, 1st car viewing is in a public place, negotiations can take place on the phone or at the 1st viewing.

Thoughts??
Sounds good, but all they'd have to do is ask to see it in a public place, go over it and then decline, only to get their mates, who have been watching the whole thing from afar, to follow you till you get home.
BENT_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-09-2010, 02:16 PM   #39
Director

but the car isnt stolen, only the sr5 bits, pretty hard to prove what parts belonged to the SR5 if they arent exclusive, nearly all the drab interior bits in toyotas fit each other from corolla to landcruiser. Anyway hope it works out ok for him.

Ace Ventura

FG G6
XB K code Fairmont
Director is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-09-2010, 02:26 PM   #40
Donny
Tickford 220kw Windsor...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BENT_8
Sounds good, but all they'd have to do is ask to see it in a public place, go over it and then decline, only to get their mates, who have been watching the whole thing from afar, to follow you till you get home.
I would conduct the first viewing well away from home and if they want the car that badly and are willing to take on such a big risk, then thats what I have Insurance for.. Neither of my cars are worth dieing over..

Donny is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-09-2010, 03:07 PM   #41
XYLINC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLDFORDNUT
Holy hell ive never heard of anyone been robbed so many times,did you lose them in one big theft or 4 seperate times bud,
did you run over a whole chinamans family,lol
4 seperate times for the cars mate, an old dunga in Adelaide when I was a young fella, a GTR Torana in Adelaide, a SLR 5000 in Adelaide and an XF Fairmont Ghia in Melbourne. Bike was also in Melbourne. I think I must have run over the whole family, while backing up to see what the bump was I ran over their black cat while it was under a ladder then hit the house and broke all their mirrors!!!!
XYLINC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-09-2010, 06:00 PM   #42
302 XC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Seems why a few go thru brokers or dealers on consignment
302 XC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-09-2010, 06:30 PM   #43
JimNiki
71Mach1

Quote:
Originally Posted by XYLINC
4 seperate times for the cars mate, an old dunga in Adelaide when I was a young fella, a GTR Torana in Adelaide, a SLR 5000 in Adelaide and an XF Fairmont Ghia in Melbourne. Bike was also in Melbourne. I think I must have run over the whole family, while backing up to see what the bump was I ran over their black cat while it was under a ladder then hit the house and broke all their mirrors!!!!
Obviously on Friday 13th...
violets are #0000FF
all my base
are belong to you
JimNiki is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post