Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 15-11-2006, 06:09 PM   #31
crYnOid

This was posted by someone on a US forum about importing aus cars into the US. It should give a good brief overview.

Quote:
Been through this before (about 3 years ago) when I ran into a guy who had a Falcon Ute in Long Beach, and being part of the US DOT at the time, and a big Holden fan, looked into the regs and what hoops you have to jump through. It's far quicker if I just recall and write than it is to search the past 3 or so years, so here's the scoop on this:

1. First of all, California's DMV isn't the federal government. The Feds have jurisdiction over anything that enters the country, and sets the regs for it. Any car that enters the United States is subject to regulations from US Customs (fees, taxes, & duties), but also must pass EPA (smog), NHTSA and DOT regs (crash testing, mandated safety equptment, etc). Don't go through any of these, and the car rots on the pier.

2. The biggest and only loophole is bringing a car to the US for "research" or "personal use". The personal use clause if I remember is for 12 months, after which the car must be removed from the US. You can bring it back again as many times as you like, but just like a visa it can't stay permanently. This includes all those cars from Ford of Australia and Holden.

3. States enforce this rule by granting limited registration. But you have to have all your federal papers BEFORE you're going to be allowed to register your vehicle. Some states you may not have to register your car, but then you can always be pulled over at any time to have the car's papers checked. States have jurisdiction over anything on public roads. Don't think they won't pull you over. Don't think they won't impound the thing if something's wrong.

4. Finally, I believe there is also the option of bringing it over for "Off Road Use Only" or as part of a "Private Collection", which will get you past safety regs that's used on a couple of exotic cars and for car museums. Not sure if that gets you past EPA or not. Bottom line is it won't see the street.

As a result of these hurdles to jump, most of the 1 off cars that are federalized for public roads tend to be high level exotic cars or companies that not only have the capita to do it, but can sell enough of these cars to make a profit.
crYnOid is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-11-2006, 06:31 PM   #32
xe351
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

maybe try aussie export, they export cars all over the world, heres an email address

info@aussiexport.com his name is cameron, worth a try maybe
xe351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-11-2006, 12:36 AM   #33
Jayden
Graphic Artist

Damn shame governments are so controlling. I partially understand it since its to limit mass amounts of dodgy cars being imported cheap and resold, but common-sense should dictacte that cars in this catagory are perfectly fine for US regulations. Write to the president and ask them to change the laws if you have no luck, its worth it jk
Old 16-11-2006, 02:08 AM   #34
Envi XR8
I love my beast too!

jeez talk about being control freaks....

Sounds like it'd be easier to move here! Best of luck with it mate, hope you get the car you want.

a little of topic.......
Funny how the wheel turns. If you had said 20 years ago that Ford Australia would make a car that was envied by our US counterparts
(and I don't mean just you totenkopf), I reckon everyone would have wacked you over the head! :

For years I got used to reading Car mags saying how "Australia was only getting the soft version" of some import. The grin on my face tomorrow morning when I start my XR ute will be that much bigger...... than normal.....Top shelf AND Australian.....

They should make Geoff Polites the world-wide Ford Boss. He has the brass grapes to make it happen.....
Envi XR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-11-2006, 03:06 AM   #35
Totenkopf
Starter Motor

I found the thread about the English importer of FPVs.
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...6&page=1&pp=25

I am going to pursue this, and if I can get a little help from FPV it might be possible. Maybe the Australian crash testing results will be admissible to the US DOT...if not, I am considering the possiblity of doing the crash tests here, and maybe I could use a base Falcon so it would be cheaper. If I went this route, I would have to bring in some extra cars to sell in order to cover the cost of the cars crash tested, and I would have to start a new business to do this, which I do not really want to do.
Totenkopf is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-11-2006, 07:11 AM   #36
AC
Saving for a Jet Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Totenkopf
If I went this route, I would have to bring in some extra cars to sell in order to cover the cost of the cars crash tested, and I would have to start a new business to do this, which I do not really want to do.
You would be best in that case to round up some used cars, Ex-Taxi's, or Fleet cars or something, Current with high KMs. Something that wont cost you the earth.
AC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-11-2006, 07:46 AM   #37
Polyal
The 'Stihl' Man
Donating Member2

Quote:
I found the thread about the English importer of FPVs.
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...6&page=1&pp=25

I am going to pursue this, and if I can get a little help from FPV it might be possible. Maybe the Australian crash testing results will be admissible to the US DOT...if not, I am considering the possiblity of doing the crash tests here, and maybe I could use a base Falcon so it would be cheaper. If I went this route, I would have to bring in some extra cars to sell in order to cover the cost of the cars crash tested, and I would have to start a new business to do this, which I do not really want to do.
Yeap thats the thread, good find!

US must be mighty hard on crash testing because Im pretty confident the Falcon meets all regs, and it has a 4 star rating (maybe 3.5, not 100% on that one). Only hickup could be the rear crash, as I remember GM changing the position of the Commodores fuel tank. Either way its alot safer than some of the stuff that already on sale over there.

Does GM import Daewoo's for small cars like they do here? If so then you have nothing to worry about...lol
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-11-2006, 08:42 AM   #38
GOLDIE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The fuel tank should be fine as in the ba's it is infront of the rear axle.

Ian
Old 16-11-2006, 11:47 AM   #39
BlewThunder

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTP 320
Like i said it's only an eye blink, so what if it is .2 of a second quicker for the 0- 100km/h
Cheers John
Did you even read flappists' post? he didnt say you were wrong or right, he was saying its a pointless arguement. Honestly. You are probably one of these people that answers "YES" to a question with two possible answers like...."Would you like fries OR baked potatoes with that?".....does this sound like you? :
BlewThunder is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-11-2006, 05:58 PM   #40
killer_taxi

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTP 320
It's only an eye blink difference.
Cheers John
Well he did ask. The Typhoon being faster and also cheaper then the GT is enough to make peoples minds up about what car to buy.

On another note, I didn’t even get into rolling acceleration or track times. That’s where you'll see the benefits of the F6's performance the most.

Wheels Magazine did a test between the F6 and GT-P around Calder Park. The F6 did a best time of 1:10.5 compared to the GT-P's time of 1:12.6 (and the Typhoon didn't have the Performance brake package that the GT-P had).
killer_taxi is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-11-2006, 06:23 PM   #41
data_mine
GT-P With An Ego
Donating Member2

The F6 and GT-P drive very differently due to different weight distribution. Having said that I tried both, loved both, but bought a GT-P.

Ford Performance Club of ACT
data_mine is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-11-2006, 01:15 AM   #42
Jayden
Graphic Artist

If i had the money id get a GT simply cause it looks and sounds better in my opinion all due to the V8 and the retro stripe options. Id never drive it to the max so its speed aint so important for me.
Not saying i wouldnt change my mind and get the Typhoon at the drop of a hat either, lol. I reckon lots of people think the same.
Old 17-11-2006, 01:37 AM   #43
XR6TickfordBoy
Now XR8TickfordBoy

These cars should exceed all US tests, most cars in Australia are made with "worlds best practice" targets in mind! All manufacturers know that current world standards will be tommorrows national standards so especially here in Australia , manufacturers are smart enough to use these! Good luck with it, its a little dissappointing to know that Ford Australia has to struggle when clearly their cars are world class and pushes the notion that export can save Ford/FPV Australia!
EF XR8- Respray in Monza Red with Clear Coat, Custom Rear Bar, AU V8, EL GT MAF, Rebuilt and Strengthened Auto with Stage 2 Shift Kit, 2,500RPM Stallie and tranny cooler, Rebuilt Diff with 4.11 Gears, Custom Radiator, King Ultra Lows, Pedders Shocks, NL Concorde Rims.
XR6TickfordBoy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-11-2006, 05:34 AM   #44
Totenkopf
Starter Motor

Hi guys. I am talking to a Registered Importer about doing this, and he says that I would need support from FPV to get this done. The DOT will require crash test data, and the EPA will require certification. My first step is to petition the DOT for entry, and then I will find out what data FMVSS requires for the government. At a minimum, they require frontal, side, rear, and sled crash data.

This will be very costly, but it will be possible with support from FPV. I emailed them through the FPV website's "Contact Us" form. Hopefully I will hear back from them, but if anyone knows of a better way to get in touch with FPV, please let me know.
Old 17-11-2006, 07:45 AM   #45
Iphido
Guy that posts stuff

If you can't get in touch with FPV then try Ford Australia.

FPV modifies the vechicals from Ford. Like SVT does in the US. Ford has all the crash data.

They are EURO III compliant (since 2006) so emissions should not be a problem. Crash wise, Australian standards are closer to european standards. Ford falcon platform has been designed to pass US impacts tho.

You may be able to get crash data directly from the safety authority here.
Iphido is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-11-2006, 07:56 AM   #46
Den.
That Canadian guy.

Quote:
Hi guys. I live in America, and I'd like to import an FPV. Has anyone done this, or know anyone that has experience with it? Are there any companies that specialize in this?

I'm interested in an F6 Typhoon or GT-P...or maybe one of the new Force 6 or Force 8s. You guys have a good selection of Ford performance cars. SVT is down to one model here.
Haven't heard of it done but you never know. I have a neighbour down the road (I live in Canada) who regularly shows up with a Holden Ute. The one with the Vette motor/6spd..........

He took it to that Woodward Dreamcruise this year.

(I suspect I'm the only other person on the street that knows what it is. Everyone else just walks on by!)

I'm not sure HOW they got it here and on the road but it has plates and all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by photn
wow never knew people from amaerica want to import Australian Cars. i always thought it was the other way round. cool. i hope all goes well mate
You guys get all the good stuff!
Old 17-11-2006, 09:09 AM   #47
Polyal
The 'Stihl' Man
Donating Member2

Quote:
This will be very costly, but it will be possible with support from FPV. I emailed them through the FPV website's "Contact Us" form. Hopefully I will hear back from them, but if anyone knows of a better way to get in touch with FPV, please let me know.
Well, like any company, FPV are poo at customer relations so it might take them until next year to reply to that email.

Perhaps one of us could find FPV's office number? Would you call them?
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Old 17-11-2006, 09:28 AM   #48
billij
2005 Ghia AWD

You could try contacting a Local Ford dealer as you will need one anyway to buy the car. You might find that they will get all the info you need if it means they will get a sale. Just go to www.ford.com.au and select locate a dealer.
billij is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-11-2006, 09:33 AM   #49
Polyal
The 'Stihl' Man
Donating Member2

^^Thats a good point. But maybe he should find a transporter that is close to a dealership; which would equal less costs. Probably not much but a little anyway.
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Old 17-11-2006, 08:07 PM   #50
Totenkopf
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iphido
If you can't get in touch with FPV then try Ford Australia.

FPV modifies the vechicals from Ford. Like SVT does in the US. Ford has all the crash data.
I want to try through FPV first since they are more likely to be enthusiasts, as opposed to just being suits. I think they would feel that getting the cars into the USA would be cool, whereas a guy at the Ford Australia offices might not care at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal
Well, like any company, FPV are poo at customer relations so it might take them until next year to reply to that email.

Perhaps one of us could find FPV's office number? Would you call them?
Yes. If anyone has contact info for FPV, please private message me with it.

The Registered Importer told me that I will need data directly from FPV or Ford. He basically said that it is impossible without them.

My petition costs $1,500, and if it is accepted, I can import cars for testing purposes. This would consist of EPA testing, and crash testing if needed, as well as engineering any modifications to bring the car to US spec. Then, several months and thousands of dollars later, I could get DOT and EPA approval. With the approvals, I could bring in, modify, and sell the cars if so desired.
Old 17-11-2006, 08:12 PM   #51
data_mine
GT-P With An Ego
Donating Member2

You could have yourself a lucrative business there.

Ford Performance Club of ACT
data_mine is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-11-2006, 09:12 PM   #52
Jayden
Graphic Artist

If importing a BF has been done already shouldnt the compliance docs be on record? someone said they saw one over there. it will certainly save alot of time and money.

Do you also have to go through all this when you import an XB to the states? aussie exports was also selling an XD or something as well online, I refuse to believe they went through crash testing as its such an increadable waste or resources, and time.

and yeah, apart from the right hand drive problem I think selling FPVs in the US would be an awsome business. Id do it myself if it wasnt for steps 1 through to 100 :P, starting with cash.
Old 17-11-2006, 11:10 PM   #53
phoon
BOLLOCKS

They will definately meet the EPA laws, whilst California has the toughest laws in the world, Australia is pretty close behind them. Go the F6 Typhoon mate, you wont be disappointed. Before you ship it, get some bolt on mods done over here, the boys on this forum will steer you in the right direction of who to get it done by. It's very easy to crack over 500hp with minimum mods on these things and when that boost kicks in at 2000rpm, your eyeballs will be as big as saucepans.
phoon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-11-2006, 11:47 PM   #54
AU2PWR
Spin 'em Habib !

Import a F6 Typhoon ute , and we could do a deal with you smuggling in some Vegemite for my Cousins ???

AU2PWR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-11-2006, 01:15 AM   #55
ozrunner
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I was contacted to see if I could help to "export" a Toyota troopie BACK to Japan for a Japanese guy who just had to have one. Seems odd but apparently they don't get them for the JDM.

Was a piece of cake. He sent the dollars, I located what he wanted sent pics etc etc and then brought it and arranged shipping via container.

He's been happily driving around for a few years now
ozrunner is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-11-2006, 07:12 AM   #56
Totenkopf
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayden
If importing a BF has been done already shouldnt the compliance docs be on record? someone said they saw one over there. it will certainly save alot of time and money.

Do you also have to go through all this when you import an XB to the states? aussie exports was also selling an XD or something as well online, I refuse to believe they went through crash testing as its such an increadable waste or resources, and time.

and yeah, apart from the right hand drive problem I think selling FPVs in the US would be an awsome business. Id do it myself if it wasnt for steps 1 through to 100 :P, starting with cash.
RHD is no problem in America. The government doesn't care where the steering wheel is, as long as the car has crash data for whichever side the steering wheel is on.

We can bring in all the cars we want if they are at least 25 years old. That would be unrestricted.

According to the DOT, it is illegal to import a BF, so the guy who had one was not fuly compliant with federal law, or he had it imported for less than a year. Foreigners can bring their cars here temporarily, but they have to export them within a year. I could illegally import a car for myself, and title it here in Georgia, but it would still be illegal federally. The DOT and EPA would probably not find out, but I want to do it legally.

This would be easier if Ford used the engine and certified it in another car (in America) so I could cross over on their data. Of course, Ford does not use the straight 6 turbo in any cars here. I think the Boss 290 is also too different from any American engine to cross the data over. I think it is a 5.4L block with DOHC heads from a 4.6L.

I could actually bring in a new Holden GTS much easier since it has the American LS2. All of that engine data is already on record with the government.
Old 18-11-2006, 09:08 AM   #57
outback_ute
Ute Forum Moderator
Contributing Member

It was probably Ford who had the BF over there, I'd imagine the manufacturers can basically do whatever they want with "engineering prototypes" or similar.

Good luck
outback_ute is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-11-2006, 12:10 PM   #58
ltd
Force Fed Fords

Don't know if it was ford bringing it in, but it had Montana plates on it. Car was drawing a lot of attention, and this guy basically blew away by a huge distance a newish stocker mustang at a set of lights (I was waiting behind the phoon). I caught up to the stang at the next set of lights (the phoon was gone), and I was going to tell the bloke that the car that blew him away was a 6 cylinder, but that might have resulted in me being shot.
Another thing, there is nothing sexier on the roads in the states than the FPV's. The monaro's look ghey, they seem to jack them up and they look high compared to here, and the pontiac fronts on them are just plain wrong.
The fuel tanks are in front of the rear axle just under the rear seat in the BF's, and the engines do meet Euro3 compliance (which is better than american standards). Furthermore, crash test data should not be such a huge problem for FPV or ford to provide, especially when opening up new markets is just what ford aus want.

On a side note, why don't ford do what US customers want and export the FPV's?
We could take town cars in return as ford aus are no longer doing the lwb. In my company alone we would buy at least 4, not really performance cars, but they are great cruisers.

Quote: