Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 04-12-2006, 12:24 PM   #31
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Optusvision (that uses most Foxtel channels) has never made a profit since it was first conceived.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-12-2006, 01:20 PM   #32
red_hotxr6
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4.9 EF Futura
Lol, the bosses are telstra and news ltd execs arent they? I dont know if they can upgrade their mercs any more than they already have!!

Go easy on poor old foxtel tho - for all the years its been around, its only just started making money (1 or 2 years of profit now?).

RE: problems... didnt have any dramas with mine at all?? Cable connection in SA....
Foxtel is an established buissness and company, me and my partner have had foxtel for 9 years, and pay for 2 boxes, i personally think they have been very un professional in this case. If i had not come on this site and inquired i would never have found out how to solve the problem.Not only could i not get through to foxtel to find out what was wrong, but up until now there has not been 1 word from them either by phone(going too far) a banner going across the screen to to either apologise for the inconvienance, something in the news,tv or radio, just nothing at all, but i am willing to bet that come the beginning of the month they will want there full rental fees. Not happy jan.Very,very un professional.
red_hotxr6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-12-2006, 01:52 PM   #33
4.9 EF Futura
Official AFF conservative

Quote:
Originally Posted by red_hotxr6
Foxtel is an established buissness and company, me and my partner have had foxtel for 9 years, and pay for 2 boxes, i personally think they have been very un professional in this case. If i had not come on this site and inquired i would never have found out how to solve the problem.Not only could i not get through to foxtel to find out what was wrong, but up until now there has not been 1 word from them either by phone(going too far) a banner going across the screen to to either apologise for the inconvienance, something in the news,tv or radio, just nothing at all, but i am willing to bet that come the beginning of the month they will want there full rental fees. Not happy jan.Very,very un professional.
Yeah i dont disagree at all, was really just poking a bit of fun at foxtel. All joking aside, their customer service has been lax from day 1. Ive been a subscriber for over 5 years now and my one key complaint has been customer service.

They're very quick to get hold of when you're slapping down the money... but difficult to get hold of when there's a problem.

So when i ring up, i press the button that says i want to subscribe. You get put straight onto someone (as opposed to customer service where you go on hold). When you get through to a sales person, tell em you meant to ask for enquiries

Sometimes they'll have a recorded message on the phone menu "if you're ringing up to enquire about service problems in xyz area, please be advised that we're having technical problems etc etc etc".

You might have thought that paying customers would have been told what was going on before the newspapers were....
Old 04-12-2006, 03:12 PM   #34
red_hotxr6
Banned

I wasnt having a go at you, exactly would you just said applies, too quick with grabbing the money and too slow with customer service.On top off that the amount of adds that occur during the kids programs are absolutely infuriating.
Old 27-01-2007, 07:44 PM   #35
Ralliart
2011 A New Fresh Start

i just notice that Club V is been taken off digital foxtel now its v2
Ralliart is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-01-2007, 08:12 PM   #36
red_hotxr6
Banned

Wink

So long as it is still music, ha ha
Old 27-01-2007, 09:41 PM   #37
xbcool
dazed&confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by ORSM T
That's the criminal part of it. Why should we pay to view advertisements. I want it disconnected, but she won't have it. :
yep we got foxtel to avoid ads now they are double dipping charging us to view and others to advertise,
but if I have it cut off the wife and kids will leav.......hmm, gotta go need to ring foxtel

beauty is only skin deep.
ugly goes all the way to the bone.
xbcool is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-01-2007, 09:53 PM   #38
DOC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

As you may know we have stoped it, ( $150 a month approx , 3 boxes full system ), without saying anything bad re ftell, i see the future a bit like the new apple setup, where you can download and watch exactly what you want, when you want.

$150 pays for a lot of downloads, just having it there ( ftell ) and it streaming in shows you dont watch combined with ads is a waste of money in most cases, and i see the future where ftell will need to follow suit and adopt this thinking as it is being outdated very fast in its current format.

just 2c
DOC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-01-2007, 09:58 PM   #39
kieran23
Starter Motor

This is slighly off topic but in December last year on the 5th day of the adelaide test at about 11:45am a foxtel tech turned up at the pub my office is situated above and announced to the manager that he was there to upgrade our "boxes". The manager asked for assurances that channel 9 wouldnt be disturbed, the Swedish tech replied that there would be no interruption so he was given access to the AV room. Within 5 minutes channel 9 was gone.... The poor manager had to deal with a pub full of irate punters there to watch the cricket (the pub had been heavily promoting it).

He called me to come down and see if I could get it going and when I went into the AV room the tech had just pulled everything apart and was on the phone taking instruction on how to put it all together again (They have a bank of foxtel boxes feeding into modulators and redistributed via RF through a coax cable, nothing to fancy, unfortunately he wouldnt let me touch it (admittedly I was a bit cranky)). It was down for a good 90 minutes and the worst of it was that about 5 English wickets fell during this time!

How out of touch with the customer can u be, the pub manager couldnt believe that an upgrade would be scheduled on the 5th day of an Ashes Test (and that the tech had no F*&^en idea what they were doing)

Dont mean to be racist but I bet it wouldnt have happened if the Tech was from England, India, Sri Lanka, Pakistan, Zimbabwe, New Zealand, Bangladesh, South Africa or the West Indies (They would have been sitting in the pub watching it!)
kieran23 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-01-2007, 09:58 PM   #40
normxb
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Location: Sitting on the Dunny , Contemplating "What to do Next".

We have "Austar Satellite" where I live & other than interference from occasional storms , we've only had one problem in about 6 years , gave them a call & a guy was here within 2 hours , 20 minutes later he was driving out the driveway , all fixed . Damned Amazing !!!

Keeping FORDS in the family

(Embarressment :yeees: , Son now has a "Camira" : )
"Look Right , Look Left , Look Right , BEFORE crossing Roads"
normxb is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-01-2007, 12:04 AM   #41
Wally
XP Coupe

Foxtel is becoming very poor viewing. The Showtime movies are 'Love My Way" or repeats from a year ago, the advertisements that weren't supposed to be present when it was launched have proliferated, every second show is some sort of mind numbing lifestyle program. Piss weak really.
Wally is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-01-2007, 12:13 AM   #42
rodderz

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOC
As you may know we have stoped it, ( $150 a month approx , 3 boxes full system ), without saying anything bad re ftell, i see the future a bit like the new apple setup, where you can download and watch exactly what you want, when you want.

$150 pays for a lot of downloads, just having it there ( ftell ) and it streaming in shows you dont watch combined with ads is a waste of money in most cases, and i see the future where ftell will need to follow suit and adopt this thinking as it is being outdated very fast in its current format.

just 2c
that would be a good idea Pete, maybe a few programs like news, weather etc could run as per normal but other shows you can select and stream to your TV set...it would have to be very reliable and efficient though
rodderz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-01-2007, 12:14 AM   #43
Jeeepers
Merry Xmas To All

Quote:
Originally Posted by xbcool
yep we got foxtel to avoid ads now they are double dipping charging us to view and others to advertise,
but if I have it cut off the wife and kids will leav.......hmm, gotta go need to ring foxtel
No need to ring them Bro, I can tell you what their reply will be right now. Same one I got. "Sir, without advertisements, your monthly access to Foxtel would be far higher in cost." :
Jeeepers is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-01-2007, 12:15 AM   #44
cupic
Nikon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ORSM T
That's the criminal part of it. Why should we pay to view advertisements. I want it disconnected, but she won't have it. :

Pay was brillant b4 with commercials if any at the end Now your paYING for commercials its sickening me
cupic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-01-2007, 12:24 AM   #45
nugget378
Weezland

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to impart knowledge in the technical areas. 

I know a guy in the bush that has a pirate sattelite dish that picks up hundreds of channels from around the world,thats the way to go I reckon,if I can find who set it up for him ill be getting rid of mine...
nugget378 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-01-2007, 06:17 AM   #46
I FluXx I
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by kieran23
This is slighly off topic but in December last year on the 5th day of the adelaide test at about 11:45am a foxtel tech turned up at the pub my office is situated above and announced to the manager that he was there to upgrade our "boxes". The manager asked for assurances that channel 9 wouldnt be disturbed, the Swedish tech replied that there would be no interruption so he was given access to the AV room. Within 5 minutes channel 9 was gone.... The poor manager had to deal with a pub full of irate punters there to watch the cricket (the pub had been heavily promoting it).

He called me to come down and see if I could get it going and when I went into the AV room the tech had just pulled everything apart and was on the phone taking instruction on how to put it all together again (They have a bank of foxtel boxes feeding into modulators and redistributed via RF through a coax cable, nothing to fancy, unfortunately he wouldnt let me touch it (admittedly I was a bit cranky)). It was down for a good 90 minutes and the worst of it was that about 5 English wickets fell during this time!

How out of touch with the customer can u be, the pub manager couldnt believe that an upgrade would be scheduled on the 5th day of an Ashes Test (and that the tech had no F*&^en idea what they were doing)

Dont mean to be racist but I bet it wouldnt have happened if the Tech was from England, India, Sri Lanka, Pakistan, Zimbabwe, New Zealand, Bangladesh, South Africa or the West Indies (They would have been sitting in the pub watching it!)

I work for foxtel. I do installations (commercial and residential), swapping box's over..... Anyway. In your case you would have been listed as a commercial customer. With commercial customers we just get a few details and we are ment to contact the customer and arrange a time that best suites them. Im swapping over 6 box's at a sports bar on monday and have arranged with them to do it in between 12pm-3pm. Apparently they have less customers between those hours.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nugget378
I know a guy in the bush that has a pirate sattelite dish that picks up hundreds of channels from around the world,thats the way to go I reckon,if I can find who set it up for him ill be getting rid of mine...
Those are good if you like to mainly watch indian shows. I wacked a second dish up on the roof and have a second set top unit and you mainly get crap. You can get the coordinates for the satelites on the net here:

http://www.lyngsat.com/

If you still have a analog foxtel set top unit, you can use this instead of geting another STU. But you need to change some sttings on the box. And seeing that Foxtel are shuting down the analog system soon, you most likley wont have the box to much longer

I was once watching some crappy indian channel and there was a add for a "santro zip plus"? I think its a type of hyundai?

To the guy who said that sometimes parts of his TV Guide dont show up. That would most likley be because when your box last updated its software it would stuffed up a little along the way. To fix it you need to reset your box and then do a forced download. There are a few types of box's out there and each type is a little different when it comes to doing the reset and download. Give foxtel a call and ask them. They will know what kind of box you have by looking at the serial number they have on there computer.

Oh by the way everyone. Your analog foxtel was also digital. You would guess how many people we swap from the analog system to the digital system and then hear them say that the picture dose look alot clearer. ITS THE SAME!

Performance mods: SL's(front) and leveled at the back, Front 30mm whiteline sway bar, 4" dump, 4" cat, 3.5" exhaust split to Dual 2.5" with quad tips, Plazmaman stage 1 polished intercooler and piping kit, 60lb injectors, Walbro fuel pump, upgraded actuator, GFB BOV, K&N panel filter

Mods for show: 19" black Speedy Inferno rims, MTX 5x7's front and rear, 2x Kenwood 4ch amps, 3x Kenwood 10" subs, chrome fuse box cover
I FluXx I is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-01-2007, 11:52 AM   #47
nobbystang

Quote:
Originally Posted by I FluXx I
Foxtel are shuting down the analog system soon, you most likley wont have the box to much longer
Didn't Foxtel turn it off new years day???? thought I read that it was supposed to be March 1 but they bought it forward 3 months.

It amazes me that they're finally making a profit and they decided at the end of last year to increase rental. They're starting to show newer content but all these marathons over summer have been s***ting me to tears.

Previous:
2011 SZ Territory Titanium
2008 Ford Edge AWD Limited
Silhouette BF XR6, ZF Auto
White EF GLi, XR look alike
VH Commodore
nobbystang is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-01-2007, 03:19 PM   #48
I FluXx I
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobbystang
Didn't Foxtel turn it off new years day???? thought I read that it was supposed to be March 1 but they bought it forward 3 months.

It amazes me that they're finally making a profit and they decided at the end of last year to increase rental. They're starting to show newer content but all these marathons over summer have been s***ting me to tears.
It was ment to be turned off around december some time, but its taken a little longer then first thought. I think they want it turned off by march now.

Performance mods: SL's(front) and leveled at the back, Front 30mm whiteline sway bar, 4" dump, 4" cat, 3.5" exhaust split to Dual 2.5" with quad tips, Plazmaman stage 1 polished intercooler and piping kit, 60lb injectors, Walbro fuel pump, upgraded actuator, GFB BOV, K&N panel filter

Mods for show: 19" black Speedy Inferno rims, MTX 5x7's front and rear, 2x Kenwood 4ch amps, 3x Kenwood 10" subs, chrome fuse box cover
I FluXx I is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-01-2007, 05:28 PM   #49
GTpilot
FG GT 5.4 w/ additions!

Why pay full price????

We don't. My mate lives in an area that is not cabled. He had to get satellite. Soooo, he ordered 4 xtra IQ boxes and we went and spent $150ea on a dish and a share in a roll of cable. Now 5 of us have full foxtel Sat Incl IQ at or own homes for about $40 each per month. We basically split the full bill up 5 ways. every 6 mths I, and the others each drop $240 into a "special" foxtel bank account that foxtel just DD to pay the bill. had it for close to 12mths now. no probs. : to you foxtel.
GTpilot is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-01-2007, 08:21 PM   #50
nugget378
Weezland

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to impart knowledge in the technical areas. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by I FluXx I
Those are good if you like to mainly watch indian shows. I wacked a second dish up on the roof and have a second set top unit and you mainly get crap. You can get the coordinates for the satelites on the net here:

http://www.lyngsat.com/

If you still have a analog foxtel set top unit, you can use this instead of geting another STU. But you need to change some sttings on the box. And seeing that Foxtel are shuting down the analog system soon, you most likley wont have the box to much longer

I was once watching some crappy indian channel and there was a add for a "santro zip plus"? I think its a type of hyundai?

To the guy who said that sometimes parts of his TV Guide dont show up. That would most likley be because when your box last updated its software it would stuffed up a little along the way. To fix it you need to reset your box and then do a forced download. There are a few types of box's out there and each type is a little different when it comes to doing the reset and download. Give foxtel a call and ask them. They will know what kind of box you have by looking at the serial number they have on there computer.

Oh by the way everyone. Your analog foxtel was also digital. You would guess how many people we swap from the analog system to the digital system and then hear them say that the picture dose look alot clearer. ITS THE SAME!
We have the optus digital,swapped over last year sometime to digital and yes the picture is the same,the same channels as foxtel though I think,the satellite system I saw,he was picking up all sorts of stuff from europe and north america,it was a very pricey installation from what he told me,Im not sure if your supposed to be doing it though..
nugget378 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-01-2007, 09:52 AM   #51
4.9 EF Futura
Official AFF conservative

I cant believe the whingers about ads on paytv??? Fairly simple proposition.

Subscription fees - content & delivery = loss

Subscription fees + advertising - content & delivery = profit (just)

Last i checked, Foxtel shareholders werent charities. Far from it. Or is this one of those things were the company is supposed to wave its "magic corporate wand" and "make it so we dont have to watch ads" (but of course, no paycuts... except for executives...).

Just wondering... what planet some people are living on?
Old 06-06-2007, 07:12 PM   #52
Ralliart
2011 A New Fresh Start

has anyone lately had any issues with foxtel digital, @ the start of this week , both my tv's has been ghosting (flicking with the picture) , i'm with optus tv customer, i rang up optus and they said , that they are changing the network, i just hope it doesn't happen again.
Ralliart is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-06-2007, 08:05 PM   #53
Psycho Chicken
Banned

My Foxtel is fine. It seems to have survived the Optus network change.
Psycho Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post