Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 29-06-2015, 10:14 PM   #1
TheInterceptor
Cruising...

Default 27mhz AM CB radio's

Hi all! Not sure where to put this thread so ill chuck it here..mods can move if need be.

Is anybody still into the 27mhz AM CB radios? I have been given a beautiful President CB radio (an oldie but a goodie) and have hooked it up at a mate's house who has a tall boat antenna on his house roof. All channels on all bands (am/usb/lsb? are dead quiet, except once yesterday when i caught some people on a boat somewhere far far away who wern't speaking english. The signal didnt even read on the meter they were that far away.

I can see the merits of 27mhz AM and the downfalls too. It would be great for car to car use and has longer range and very long range in the right conditions.
Nontheless, this radio will be making its way into one of my cars soon..was going to put it into the Fairlane as it would suit its vintage very well (and the radio does look fantastic and would be used) but it may be more useful in my Subaru as its my daily/bush/travel car.

I hear they need an antenna tuned to them and all.. i was going to buy a stainless steel whip, about 3ft tall to bolt to the roof rack but i hear a ground plane base is the way to go? Also hear that i would have to run a ground cable if a ground independant antenna is used. Not entirley clear on what the go is! Not sure what antenna setup would work well.
If anyone has any reccommendations or wise words, it would be appreciated!

Ive always liked to play with radio's. I used to live in Sydney and listen in on whatever was happening on the UHF's around Botany Bay, at times there would be some entertaining conversations. I will be moving back in due time..i assume there must be people over east who still run AM!

Oh and are marine 27mhz radio's the same thing as the original 27mhz AM CB radios?

Cheers!

Subaru Outback '02
TheInterceptor is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post