Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 25-04-2020, 02:58 PM   #31
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Default Re: Fast car driving

Quote:
Originally Posted by roKWiz View Post
Bit like the Ford panel van basically unchanged from XD - XH.
Nothing wrong with the L300 it was built to do a job and did it well and reliably but due to the nanny laws we now have (yes, you have said it several times over in other threads) it didn't meet current crash test and emissions.

I don't recall star ratings back in the 80s. We thought it was state of the art if it had a cassette radio then and a retractable aerial
Back in the 1980s if a woman got married she lost her job in Broken Hill, NSW, you could smoke inside restaurants and planes and homosexual relationships were illegal in some states.

How far do you want to go back for the 'good ol' days', I'm all for personal freedoms but if it wasn't for certain legislation effecting the automotive industry, we'd still be driving cars with 3 gears, drum brakes front and rear, 7.5L V8s using leaded fuel and carburetors doing 30L/100km.

The L300 was and is a turd, if you put your employees in those as company cars I guess you value human life at $29,950 + ORC's.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 25-04-2020, 03:07 PM   #32
.:4:.
Kicking back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Cozzo View Post
Back in the 1980s if a woman got married she lost her job in Broken Hill, NSW, you could smoke inside restaurants and planes and homosexual relationships were illegal in some states.

How far do you want to go back for the 'good ol' days', I'm all for personal freedoms but if it wasn't for certain legislation effecting the automotive industry, we'd still be driving cars with 3 gears, drum brakes front and rear, 7.5L V8s using leaded fuel and carburetors doing 30L/100km.

The L300 was and is a turd, if you put your employees in those as company cars I guess you value human life at $29,950 + ORC's.
I get what you are saying, my L300 was 19k new on the road, but after bluetooth, reversing sensors, van racks and roof racks it was 23. That was in 09. Theyre a death trap, but before you kill yourself in one they are packaged really well, excelent space management, but safety was the one thing they had to leave out for packaging reasons. A low speed rear ender, one of my old collegues rear ended someone in a L300, that messed up his legs when the pedal box got pushed up. The only other thing is that the 09 and 2012 both only made the same power as a 202 in a vb commodore, but had a 5 speed manual.
.:4:. is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 25-04-2020, 03:09 PM   #33
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:

Remember Franco I still work with and drive a car from the 80s doesn't bother me but maybe there are some real babies about these days who need their comfort stuff. It just doesn't bother me. It was designed to be a car/van, simple stuff that works and not a lounge room.
Back in the 80's my girlfriend wasn't allowed in the Shell oil refinery, I had to leave her and my cars cigarette lighter with the man at the gatehouse.
Funny times.

roKWiz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 25-04-2020, 03:12 PM   #34
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
and planes and homosexual relationships were illegal in some states.
And don't disparage planes either.

Old 25-04-2020, 03:18 PM   #35
.:4:.
Kicking back

Quote:
And don't disparage planes either.
Read it first, i have a suspicion, or atleast my interpretation is, now from driving v8 toranas that werent blue slipped or engineered, to L300s, to other old crappy, cars, safety is the responsibility of the driver not to do stupid things. Granted, its also up to other drivers also not to do stupid things. Technically thats why we hold drivers licences, but theyre pretty easy to get.
.:4:. is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 25-04-2020, 04:34 PM   #36
roKWiz
Cabover nut

I have to get off this merry go round......

back on subject...Yes fast car driving was fun back in the day but not so now. A whole different era.

4 users like this post:
Old 25-04-2020, 04:40 PM   #37
Tassie f100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

back on subject...Yes fast car driving was fun back in the day but not so now. A whole different era.
Think back then you had to drive the car at 150-160kmh,now they seem to pretty much drive themselves with cruise control,lane keeping etc.Jeez now if you like you can even text to others or watch movies on the phone whilst whistling down the highway
Tassie f100 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 25-04-2020, 05:01 PM   #38
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tassie f100 View Post
Think back then you had to drive the car at 150-160kmh,now they seem to pretty much drive themselves with cruise control,lane keeping etc.Jeez now if you like you can even text to others or watch movies on the phone whilst whistling down the highway
What, like Franco does...

Old 25-04-2020, 05:07 PM   #39
Tassie f100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokwiz View Post
what, like franco does...
lol lol
Tassie f100 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-04-2020, 05:16 PM   #40
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
What, like Franco does...
Gotta be like a fly on ****, have a hundred eyes everywhere!
Old 25-04-2020, 05:18 PM   #41
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Gotta be like a fly on ****, have a hundred eyes everywhere as far north as Wallan.
Fixed that for you.

Old 25-04-2020, 05:37 PM   #42
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

faster and faster until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death
pottery beige is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 25-04-2020, 05:55 PM   #43
MercuryT
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Officemanager View Post
In my younger days I've done speeding and drinking but in hindsight I consider myself extremely lucky that I got away with it (drinking) and did not kill myself or some unsuspecting soul.
The laws are there for a good reason but sadly the young ones and some old fools will keep taking risks, just our human nature I suppose.
Cheers.
Excellent honesty there mate and I reckon quite a few have done the same.

The outcome as we have just seen both with children in NSW now the Police officers shows is beyond horrendous.

I've never drink and drive but some speeds I've done on quiet country roads I think back a go yeah, stupid (car could do it safely (barely trying) but not the point)
MercuryT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-04-2020, 06:04 PM   #44
MercuryT
Banned

An interesting sidenote to why I made this thread.

I live in Hobart past the Airport. It's a straight road with permanent speed camera it let's say plenty speed pull up for camera then go back to 140etc.

Huge amount of tourist and taxi vehicles in normal times.

Thing is and (obviously not now due to Covid) the Taxi drivers doing 90 are all over the place playing with their machines etc, whilst a perfectly good performance car at 140 in (some of) our performance made cars would be a tiny risk in comparison for an accident.

Seems illogical hence my OP as I think risk is far from just speed based like we are led to believe.

But yes I'm with others that drink/drug driving need harsh punishment.
Old 25-04-2020, 06:11 PM   #45
MercuryT
Banned

Quote:

Might be for you but kids have very fast cars these days for little money.

Scary how some drive their Skylines etc. But again, I'm not judging as I've sped too (just not in traffic)
Old 25-04-2020, 06:38 PM   #46
LG17
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Fast car driving was undertaken all the time from the mid 60s up until around 1980.
Traffic wasn't what it is today so it was much easier and much more common. Drink driving was common up until the mid 80s when it really started to be the wrong thing to do. During the 70s you would always drive home from the pub - it was too far to walk, taxis weren't really an option so you just drove. Again the traffic wasn't as it is today so it was easier, and possibly safer. These days I sit on 100kph on the highways (usually on cruise control) and don't speed anywhere. I very rarely drive even if I have only had one light beer. In hindsight, I was probably lucky to survive but I never had an accident during all of that time. As far as I know, I also still hold the Brisbane (Greenslopes) to Bundaberg record of 1hr 55 mins in a GT. These days you wouldn't even get half way in that time.

Time's change.
LG17 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-04-2020, 11:20 AM   #47
guzzis3
AU3 ute EL futura

Roads are engineered for certain speeds. There is research that shows if you force people to drive under the design speed crashes go up.

Germany is one of the gold standard countries for road safety, but there is a huge cultural difference. They undertake huge training before getting a licence, and compliance is high.

The big problem in Australia though is traffic policy is revenue driven. This has 2 serious consequences. 1. It causes more road trauma directly. 2. It makes a lot of people disengage. Once you lose their "faith" in the system non compliance goes up.

But no one cares so another 1200 australians die and thousands will be seriously injured this year, just like last year, just like next year...
guzzis3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 26-04-2020, 12:38 PM   #48
anobserver
Oppressive patriarch

Quote:
I can second that and vividly recall shuttling kids around in a borrowed one.

It was an awful thing to drive. Wheezy, asthmatic engine coupled to a notchy gearbox with failing syncro. Excessive road noise and engine roar made even modest speed feel faster than it actually was.

After dropping off the last pax, i would fuel it up to return it with a full tank. At a roundabout taken briskly, i clipped the inside curve and it lurched up onto two wheels.

Think i declined to drive it after that. I didnt need that sort of excitement.

BA RTV.
anobserver is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-04-2020, 01:04 PM   #49
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by anobserver View Post
I can second that and vividly recall shuttling kids around in a borrowed one.

It was an awful thing to drive. Wheezy, asthmatic engine coupled to a notchy gearbox with failing syncro. Excessive road noise and engine roar made even modest speed feel faster than it actually was.

After dropping off the last pax, i would fuel it up to return it with a full tank. At a roundabout taken briskly, i clipped the inside curve and it lurched up onto two wheels.

Think i declined to drive it after that. I didnt need that sort of excitement.
https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/det...-6487033/?Cr=2

Might be an interesting project car, forged internals, built box and a Borgwarner EFR 6258 and put it down the Tullamarine Freeway off the clock at 3AM

Looks like it has Mitsubishi 4G63 engine, same series as Lancer and Evo variations

Last edited by Franco Cozzo; 26-04-2020 at 01:12 PM.
Old 26-04-2020, 02:15 PM   #50
X-AHH
The good, bad and fugly
Donating Member2

I don't drive when I've had a few too many, ever. My experience with the subject of fast car driving is as follows :-

As part of my work, I quiet often travel to the NT from SA. Once across the border into the NT, the speed limit goes from 110 to 130. It feels really good to be able to travel at that speed for a while but it soon becomes obvious that the concentration and stress levels increase dramatically. To maintain this over several hours is quite mentally draining and my hands get cramped up from the tighter grip on the steering wheel. (Funny how this just happens without thinking about it). The other downside to that extra speed is watching the fuel consumption go through the roof.

The difference in road conditions is very stark once you get into the NT. The road becomes well maintained, smoother and wider with long sweeping bends.

I have also noticed that the majority people who are really not experienced with driving over 100 due to the regulations in their home state are quite reluctant to go the extra 30. This is definitely a good thing.

Does anyone remember when open speed limit areas were common in the late 70's and early 80's?
Old 26-04-2020, 02:25 PM   #51
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Funny you mention that. I regularly see some old open speed limit signs(like the pictured one) around country Victoria. There is one west of Wangaratta. But these days they are interpreted as any speed up to 100kmh in Victoria.

Old 26-04-2020, 03:37 PM   #52
Romulus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by guzzis3 View Post
Roads are engineered for certain speeds. There is research that shows if you force people to drive under the design speed crashes go up.

Germany is one of the gold standard countries for road safety, but there is a huge cultural difference. They undertake huge training before getting a licence, and compliance is high.

The big problem in Australia though is traffic policy is revenue driven. This has 2 serious consequences. 1. It causes more road trauma directly. 2. It makes a lot of people disengage. Once you lose their "faith" in the system non compliance goes up.

But no one cares so another 1200 australians die and thousands will be seriously injured this year, just like last year, just like next year...

Correct. Getting your drivers licence is Germany, The Netherlands and a couple other countries I think of costs thousands of euro's and isn't for the faint hearted. You have to demonstrate competence to drive a vehicle, not just show you know how do do a three point turn and parallel park.

I'm sure many would agree driver competence in Australia is substandard compared to other parts of the world.
3 users like this post:
Old 26-04-2020, 05:13 PM   #53
98TLS
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romulus View Post
Correct. Getting your drivers licence is Germany, The Netherlands and a couple other countries I think of costs thousands of euro's and isn't for the faint hearted. You have to demonstrate competence to drive a vehicle, not just show you know how do do a three point turn and parallel park.

I'm sure many would agree driver competence in Australia is substandard compared to other parts of the world.
Like India/China/Russia etc etc? The restricted speed limit or lack of in Germany or similar has changed much since the 80/90s,those days are long gone.
Old 26-04-2020, 05:36 PM   #54
MercuryT
Banned

Not sure about driving in Aust being substandard.

Sure slower and I suspect Germany the gold standard but anyone driven in Italy, Greece or France?

Deadset it's a nightmare with seemingly no rules
Old 26-04-2020, 05:54 PM   #55
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

and I love being in places like you mention.
Freedom.
Yep driven in those countries incl Spain/Portugal/Indo.
I find it easy to adjust being LH drive and have driven in the US copious amounts of time.
Love the experiences.
The only thing I hate is finding parking in many of those countries, PIA !

LG relate to all your post, I got my license in '76.
We were pretty stupid back then, at the pub then drive but thats what we only knew back then and those before us.
I've been a madmen through my young days and yep it was wrong, to my passengers and those comign towards me, Thank the Lord I've been very lucky in my young days sure not alone.
I still like a spirited drive with fellow Enthusiasts but its a whole different ball game today.
I never DD that is for sure, too much to risk and its stupid decision full stop if you did.
Wrong full stop.
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet. Abraham Lincoln"
FTE217 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 27-04-2020, 11:51 AM   #56
ford71V8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Fast car driving
Sleek and modern
Clever words on smooth tongue talking
Shove it brother
Just keep walking
ford71V8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 27-04-2020, 11:53 AM   #57
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

So it wasn’t just me with that earworm?
Citroënbender is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-04-2020, 02:21 PM   #58
five 7
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

we'd still be driving cars with 3 gears, drum brakes front and rear, 7.5L V8s using leaded fuel and carburetors doing 30L/100km.

Sounds like big block full size Ford on avy = Heaven
five 7 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-04-2020, 11:28 PM   #59
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by xahh View Post
...It feels really good to be able to travel at that speed for a while but it soon becomes obvious that the concentration and stress levels increase dramatically. To maintain this over several hours is quite mentally draining and my hands get cramped up from the tighter grip on the steering wheel. (Funny how this just happens without thinking about it). The other downside to that extra speed is watching the fuel consumption go through the roof.
Honestly, I reckon that's a situation which varies greatly depending on the car. Have had three Euro barges which thrived on an indicated 130, so probably 122 actual speed. Povo Ute is uncomfortable (to me) over a true 90km/h and I experience the sort of grip-cramp you describe. I usually sing (loudly) when I'm long-haul driving and this possibly helps to reduce the tunnelling of vision and tightness of grip.
Citroënbender is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-04-2020, 09:28 AM   #60
383hq
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Lightbulb Re: Fast car driving

Quote:
Originally Posted by MercuryT View Post
Not sure about driving in Aust being substandard.

Sure slower and I suspect Germany the gold standard but anyone driven in Italy, Greece or France?

Deadset it's a nightmare with seemingly no rules
Huh?
Greece is held the size of Victoria, Italy a bit bigger then Vic, with 2.5x the population of Australia

Australia is a big place with tiny population

France freeways are 130
China's freeways 120
USA people routinely drive 75-90 (mph) but you go to jail overnight if caught DUI (many states) but long arms in car, they're ok.
383hq is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post