Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 22-11-2007, 07:23 PM   #31
revcore
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by tapeworm
HAHA, funny and true. All in all, there are the 3 greats of OZ bush TV. Alby, Malcom and the Bush Tucker Man. Legends~
What about Rob Bredl the Barefoot Bushman.
Old 02-01-2008, 10:55 PM   #32
fordOwner
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Well, I have finally recieved the long awaited Alby Mangles Auto Biography! - 'Alby Mangles, Beyond World Safari' By Lynn Santer.

It has only just been released and I cant put the book down. Its full of Behind the scenes stories and tales of how he started the idea of travelling the globe which kinda makes all the documantaries "make sence" to me now.
I have nine of his documantaries and watching them is so different as I know what happend between destinations and how he managed to fund them and where all the people come from on his yachts (particularly the hot babes).
I'd Love to recite some phrases from the book but I dont think i'm alowed due to copyright laws.
But i'll try to explain a couple of funny stories..

On working in Darwin as a bricklayer to fund his big adventure he noticed an ad calling for crew members for a 110yr old sailing boat trip around the world, so he hitch hiked to Queensland but the only vehicle that would pick him up was a Grader!
SLOWLY but surly he made it only to find out the boat had moored 50kms south.

His first female experience on his adventures did not work to plan at all. When arriving on the first island stop the crew split up into couples and Alby was stuck on a beach by himself with a local resident dog watching the sunset. Then a girl from the crew sat next to him.
As he chatted her up he inched closer to her and ended up touching her, she did not complain so he continued. Then with out warning she jumped up and walked off. confused Alby looked down and realised he was touching up the dog!

In South Africa he was a health insurance salesman (again to fund his dream of buying his own yacht, about $1,000/foot) and was keen for some tips so he rang up the best salesman of the time and asked if he could come over. When he was invited in his house the guy placed a revolver to his head and cocked it.
Demanding what Alby wanted from him he pleaded innocence and just wanted selling tips. In the end he was told to run for his life. But Alby ended up beating him in sales and was treated to 3 course meals daily only to find out he could not get paid untill 2 years hense. He ended up abandoning that career path and bought a tiny car from a bicycle shop (the DAF) and drove it to holland!!!
One bloke said "IF you make it to France Ill shout you the best time of your life for weeks" Convinced Alby would die he thought his pricey offer was safe. But Alby DID make it to France. Not much is written about this time as he was intoxicated for most of it and ALby cant remember much of that stop.

Anyway thats enough, as said earlier I could go on and on about him. I have been banned about talking about him at work and by my Girl friend LOL.

Anyone got any Alby sighting stories?

Click here to see my ute
fordOwner is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-01-2008, 11:05 PM   #33
MO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

And you believe that,you poor misguided fool.
Alby Mangels was and is nothing but a con man.

The more I know ppl the more I love my DOGS.
2011 SY Territory Limited Edition TS
2000 AUII SE ute IL6
MO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-01-2008, 11:10 PM   #34
tapeworm
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Oooo, I must get this, I take it it's sold @ all good book stores?, lol.
tapeworm is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-01-2008, 11:30 PM   #35
fordOwner
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I am not a disciple of his MO I simply enjoy his tales - True or untrue. Just like when you sit down and watch your favourit TV show at night. I bet you there not true!! (Thanks for calling me a poor misguided fool too)

Yes I agree he did fabricate stories to give what the audience wanted, as World Safari would just be a boring home movie. He had to give his movies a begginiing a middle and an end to make his home movies into a sellable documantary. This is what made him bankrupt as his critics shot him down after making World Safari III coz he just went over board.

And no Tapeworm, no book stores have it. I had to order it in. haha

Click here to see my ute
Old 02-01-2008, 11:46 PM   #36
MO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ok sorry for the fool bit.
Now as for my fav TV stuff...
1. The News most channels for 2hrs
2. Sport in particular cricket , nrl and motorsport.
3. Meerkat Manor.
As for the rest of TV its crap.

The more I know ppl the more I love my DOGS.
2011 SY Territory Limited Edition TS
2000 AUII SE ute IL6
MO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-08-2009, 12:22 AM   #37
fordOwner
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

ALBY UPDATE!!!!

Just heard on the radio and seen in one of my girl friends magazines that some Hollywood Producer is making a movie based on his Auto biography!

Click here to see my ute
Old 18-08-2009, 09:42 AM   #38
OLDFORDNUT
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

he left Judy Green for dead after the roll over and i stopped watching his doco
s around then
OLDFORDNUT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-08-2009, 12:47 PM   #39
Riksta
Captain Malcolm Reynolds

I just spotted this http://www.dealsdirect.com.au/p/alby...k-volumes-1-3/

then realised its sold out :(
Originally Posted by Nikked
Riksta likes VN's so much, he has the ashes of a VN in a jar on the mantle piece, a vile of VN engine oil hanging from his neck and a BT1 build plate locked up in a safe, buried under 6ft of concrete.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Day-mow
pretty much what has happened here is i trolled you. and it was fun.
Riksta is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-08-2009, 12:05 AM   #40
fordOwner
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ebay mate, Ebay.

I have a shelf full of his docco's which most of them are from Ebay.

Click here to see my ute