Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 29-06-2005, 11:44 AM   #31
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RED_EL_XR8
I have, I've been driving a long time and you never stop encoutering new amazements.

The situation I was actually referring to was when leaving a T intersection or private entryway look right, and the oncoming car has a left indicator on, safe to proceed? It should be but id numbnutz in the other car hasn't cancelled the indicator they will plow right into you when you proceed. And they will usually swear blind to roadside plod that the indicator wasn't on.

These are road skills, the anticipation of all the stupid things other can do, if we allow for those then all we have to worry about are our own inabilities..
I treat everyone as idiots that will do things for no logical reason, that way I am never surprised when they do. It is the only way to drive!
Old 29-06-2005, 11:53 AM   #32
EA2BA
PM me if you want

Quote:
Originally Posted by geckoxr8
At least 2 car lengths, sorry too close. The guide is 2 seconds in dry conditions, double that in wet. so in the dry at 60km/h, the safe distance is 16m (about 5 car lengths) and 30m in the wet.
I really suggest that some people do defensive driving courses (should be government subsidised and compulsory befor getting off P's). Trust me, it will really open your eyes! Especially when you do the braking distance demonstration.
A falcon is 4.8m roughly so that would make 3 car, 4 at most car lengths, not 5.

Send me a PM if you want to know anything

2010 Ford Ranger PK High Rider (Auto) - 2011 Ford Fiesta (Auto)
Old 29-06-2005, 11:53 AM   #33
LTDHO
The one and only

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dellboy999
You are only supposed to stop for a dog if it safe to do so, well it wasnt was it as she caused an accident, so do not accept the blame for this, fight it all the way, she should pay for your car, dogs are to be on leads or in backyards, the law is on your side, ring the cops and you will find I am right.
Sorry Jase, this is 100% wrong.
You must stop. The vehicle behind the stopping vehicle is 100% liable and if the police attended the 2nd vehicle would have been charged.

I wouldn't go to the cops, they can charge you on the spot for admitting to running into the rear of another car. I know it has happened before.
Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe
Old 29-06-2005, 11:55 AM   #34
Gammaboy
Grinder+Welder = Race car

Quote:
The golden rule is the moment you run nto the back of another car, you are too close
Well. yeah. duh!
Old 29-06-2005, 11:56 AM   #35
Heeno
Formally knowen as EBus

Quote:
I treat everyone as idiots that will do things for no logical reason, that way I am never surprised when they do. It is the only way to drive!
lol thats funny, im exactly the same way, you just never know when someones going to do something weird, you've gotta always be on the ball at all times, i don't mean goin 40k all the way but just being observent of what around you at all times.

Changes: 5 spd manual
Extractors, 2.5in exhaust
AMG Quake 17's w/ maxxis rubba
Lovelle superlows
Cheap a55 Pod Filter

Bike: CR250R 05 :evil3:
Old 29-06-2005, 11:59 AM   #36
LTDHO
The one and only

Quote:
Originally Posted by RED_EL_XR8
I have, I've been driving a long time and you never stop encoutering new amazements.

The situation I was actually referring to was when leaving a T intersection or private entryway look right, and the oncoming car has a left indicator on, safe to proceed? It should be but id numbnutz in the other car hasn't cancelled the indicator they will plow right into you when you proceed. And they will usually swear blind to roadside plod that the indicator wasn't on.
Also just because a car is indicating this does not mean you can pull out in front of them, even if they tell the police their indicator was on, YOU have to make sure that the road is clear and if it is not then YOU are liable.

Never assume. If you do, feel comfortable with the risk.
Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe
Old 29-06-2005, 11:59 AM   #37
RED_EL_XR8
Banned

Quote:
A falcon is 4.8m roughly so that would make 3 car, 4 at most car lengths, not 5.
A falcon also weighs from 1500 to 1800kg maybe 5 car lengths is good advice. I know its not always possible and its damned annoying when others continually cut into this space on the motorway but its something to aim for. Or should that be something not to aim for, out of striking range.
Old 29-06-2005, 12:00 PM   #38
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gammaboy
Well. yeah. duh!
It seems it is not Duh because a lot of people here have got it all wrong, and I ususally have to pick up the pieces.
Old 29-06-2005, 12:02 PM   #39
EA2BA
PM me if you want

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTDHO
Sorry Jase, this is 100% wrong.
You must stop. The vehicle behind the stopping vehicle is 100% liable and if the police attended the 2nd vehicle would have been charged.

I wouldn't go to the cops, they can charge you on the spot for admitting to running into the rear of another car. I know it has happened before.
I never meant you have the right to run into them, all I am saying is according to the law they are not supposed to stop unless 100% safe to do so, but the other side is you should not be close to enough to run into them even if they did stop .... catch 22 in a way (but yes if you hit them, you are to close .....)

Old 29-06-2005, 01:36 PM   #40
bailey04
RockGod

Let me get this straight.. If you are driving too close behind me, i stop for no apparent reason at all and you run into the back of me.. Its your fault, not mine.. :Up_to_som
Old 29-06-2005, 01:40 PM   #41
XR-ENVI
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

in some areas dogs are allowed to walk freely off the lead if under control. nothing was mentioned as to whether there was a person close by. if there is a person crossing the road we give way to them if we are turning into a street.
its all still a of a thing to happen no matter who is right and who is wrong
Old 29-06-2005, 01:49 PM   #42
NIGHTHAWK
starter motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSWXA
I thought any car the hits another up the bum is at fault no matter what because there has to be a safe distance keeped.
Especially in the rain, you keep a further distance as it takes longer to stop.Did you have insurance?
Old 29-06-2005, 01:49 PM   #43
LTDHO
The one and only

Quote:
Originally Posted by bailey04
Let me get this straight.. If you are driving too close behind me, i stop for no apparent reason at all and you run into the back of me.. Its your fault, not mine.. :Up_to_som
Yes.

But don't be surprised if the owner of that vehicle gets out and punches you in the face!
Old 29-06-2005, 01:50 PM   #44
EA2BA
PM me if you want

Quote:
Correct, the basic rule is the last car to even hit a string of cars is at fault.

You stop for no reason I run into you, then some twit not paying attention hits me, its now his fault

Old 29-06-2005, 01:56 PM   #45
bailey04
RockGod

Quote:
You stop for no reason I run into you, then some twit not paying attention hits me, its now his fault

Thats just not right... :
Old 29-06-2005, 02:12 PM   #46
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The person who is infront of it all isnt at fault at all unless it was reckless driving. The 2nd car hits is responsible to the 1st cars damage and the 3rd car is responsible for the 2nd cars damage. Thats why your not meant to be up the **** of any car at traffic lights. If anyone hits you and you hit the person in front of you then its your fault becasue its deemed you were too close. I usually stay back so i can see the rear tyres of the car in front of me. This is what my driving instructor told me.
Old 29-06-2005, 02:43 PM   #47
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Quote:
Originally Posted by MITCHAY
The person who is infront of it all isnt at fault at all unless it was reckless driving. The 2nd car hits is responsible to the 1st cars damage and the 3rd car is responsible for the 2nd cars damage. Thats why your not meant to be up the **** of any car at traffic lights. If anyone hits you and you hit the person in front of you then its your fault becasue its deemed you were too close. I usually stay back so i can see the rear tyres of the car in front of me. This is what my driving instructor told me.
You 100% right, it is not the last car in a string of cars that pays for the lot, each person pays for the car in front of them. If you are pushed into the car in front when you are hit, you are at fault for the car in front of you because you stopped too close. That only changes if it can be proved that the car that hit you was travelling at such a speed (and greater than the posted limit) that it is reasonable that the force was so great that such a incident could not be prepared for.

It is true that when stopped at lights, stop sign etc you should be able to see the base of the rear tyres on the car in front of you, minimum, if you can't you are too close.
Old 29-06-2005, 02:46 PM   #48
EA2BA
PM me if you want

The law is shades of grey most the time, you can only hope you land on the side that benefits you.

Old 29-06-2005, 02:52 PM   #49
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Or be careful, accept that you are driving nearly 2t of lethal weapon and not get in trouble and take the risk!
Old 29-06-2005, 02:57 PM   #50
EA2BA
PM me if you want

Quote:
Or be careful, accept that you are driving nearly 2t of lethal weapon and not get in trouble and take the risk!
A licence is a privledge not a right, so stay safe on the roads

edit: I would also like to add that has been a rather well behaved and good discussion, great to see.

Old 29-06-2005, 03:00 PM   #51
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Yeah, keep me bored at work, please!
Old 29-06-2005, 05:46 PM   #52
merlin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Yes - When someone is tailgaiting you, theortetically you could slam on the brakes and write off their car and they would be 100% at fault.

I know someone who has done exactly this (they definatley require anger management classes). Of course I would not condone such a thing but it is a very clear part of the law.
1966 Ford Mustang coupe. 347 stroker, PA reverse manual C4, TCE high stall converter, B&M Pro Ratchet, Edelbrock alum heads, Edelbrock intake manifold, MSD ignition, Holley Street HP 750 CFM carb, gilmer drive, wrapped Hooker Super Comp Headers, dual 3" straight through exhaust, Bilstein shocks, custom springs, full poly suspension, American Racing rims, Open Tracker roller spring saddles and shelby drop.

Still to go - Holley Sniper EFI with integrated fuel cell.
Old 29-06-2005, 05:46 PM   #53
Heeno
Formally knowen as EBus

Quote:
no your at fault because you caused an accident on perpose

Lovelle superlows
Cheap a55 Pod Filter

Old 29-06-2005, 05:47 PM   #54
EA2BA
PM me if you want

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heeno
no your at fault because you caused an accident on perpose
only 2 cars on the road his is back damaged, your is front damaged you lose, very simple

Old 29-06-2005, 05:50 PM   #55
Heeno
Formally knowen as EBus

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlin
Yes - When someone is tailgaiting you, theortetically you could slam on the brakes and write off their car and they would be 100% at fault.

I know someone who has done exactly this (they definatley require anger management classes). Of course I would not condone such a thing but it is a very clear part of the law.
funny that 3 weeks ago, same thing except i was in the car, my mate driving up some guys *** and yes he hit the break hard, my mate only just touched him but enough to put a ding in the rear end, guess what.... its all the other guys fault because there was a witness and this witness is a cop! other guy got done hard! for purpously causing an accident!

Lovelle superlows
Cheap a55 Pod Filter

Old 29-06-2005, 05:51 PM   #56
Heeno
Formally knowen as EBus

Quote:
only 2 cars on the road his is back damaged, your is front damaged you lose, very simple
in that case yes, but we had a witness...read above

Lovelle superlows
Cheap a55 Pod Filter

Old 29-06-2005, 05:58 PM   #57
Uncle_Ken
Next upgraded Mk1 Leopard

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always putting some imput into the forums to help or make it a bit easier for others Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

S*@t happens.
Touch luck Nudge.
I had the same happen to me in reverse. Set of lights (green) when Wee Whaa Ambulance comes powering through. I stopped the car behind me didn't. Small rear end followed.
Uncle_Ken
How 2's: Change rear view mirror, Install backfire valve, Change foam front seats, Install auto transmission cooler, Replace Trans Shift Globe, Remove front door Trim, Paint AU headlights, install door spears, Premium Rear Parcel Shelf, go here...
Old 29-06-2005, 05:58 PM   #58
Mike Gayner
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
You 100% right, it is not the last car in a string of cars that pays for the lot, each person pays for the car in front of them. If you are pushed into the car in front when you are hit, you are at fault for the car in front of you because you stopped too close.
Sucks if you're sitting behind a Ferrari at the lights then :
Old 29-06-2005, 06:02 PM   #59
Heeno
Formally knowen as EBus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Gayner
Sucks if you're sitting behind a Ferrari at the lights then :
ohh damn, you think your insurance would pay?? LOL i think they'd pretend they never knew you

Lovelle superlows
Cheap a55 Pod Filter

Old 29-06-2005, 06:03 PM   #60
EA2BA
PM me if you want

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heeno
ohh damn, you think your insurance would pay?? LOL i think they'd pretend they never knew you
They like to do that anyway :evil_laug ing_sm

Closed Thread