Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 01-02-2010, 05:43 PM   #31
XR_Strider_GuY
Boss for Go, L98 for Show
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheech
I don't go the aussie flag or southern cross sticker on my car (or any sticker).

But what leaves me scratching my head is the Aussie Pride sticker on a foreign car (eg Mitsi lancer). If you were a proud aussie wouldn't you buy a commodore or falcon ?
Couldn't agree more. As a matter of fact for Australia day I showed my support by driving my XR8 to Queenscliff. Anyways its a free country and I am sure there are reasonable reasons for Australians buying foreign cars. Just don't label me any less Australian for not having a flag/southern cross sticker on my XR8.
Old 01-02-2010, 05:44 PM   #32
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peuty
Possibly, though that's not what it means to me.

I don't know why people are being judged for celebrating Australia Day.

As for everyone who feels the need to point out how bogan or stupid it is to celebrate said day, maybe you should take a look at yourselves first.
I am not denying the right for others to celebrate the day. I celebrated it quietly with a BBQ and beers with my friends who are Indian and Chinese/Malaysian.

Unfortunately later at Etihad Stadium, young people being racist telling others to 'go home' and telling police to 'get a real job' really ****es me off. The blue singlet brigade do themselves no favours.

Fair enough...I don't want to paint them all with the same brush, but at the same time, people need to listen to what they say to others and ask whether they're truly being Australian, or just idiots.

Don't snap my undies.
uranium_death is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-02-2010, 05:48 PM   #33
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheech
But what leaves me scratching my head is the Aussie Pride sticker on a foreign car (eg Mitsi lancer). If you were a proud aussie wouldn't you buy a commodore or falcon ?
Being Australian is not a purely symbolic thing. Covering yourself in Sothern Cross or Eureka Stockage tattoos, driving Australian cars and all that stuff has nothing to do with being a proud Australian.

If you respect and are grateful for the people who have fought and/or died in wars serving their country, then that goes a long way.

Unfortunately I think that over time, it may be forgotten...I hope I am wrong.

Don't snap my undies.
Old 01-02-2010, 05:50 PM   #34
Peuty
Afterburner + skids =
Donating Member1

Fair enough mate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by uranium_death
Being Australian is not a purely symbolic thing. Covering yourself in Sothern Cross or Eureka Stockage tattoos, driving Australian cars and all that stuff has nothing to do with being a proud Australian.
This is true also.

Oo\===/oO
Peuty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-02-2010, 06:05 PM   #35
Coogs289
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJA77
I dont need to put a flag on the car or tat on my body to feel Australian, I know Im Aussie, I love my country and thats all that matters.
'nuff said :

Cheers, Anthony
Old 01-02-2010, 06:11 PM   #36
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJA77
I dont need to put a flag on the car or tat on my body to feel Australian, I know Im Aussie, I love my country and thats all that matters.
: Damn straight!:

Don't snap my undies.
Old 01-02-2010, 06:19 PM   #37
schnoods
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

For some reason lately, people are trying to identify themselves more and more.

People with custom numberplates with their surname isnt good enough, they gotta add the year as well (IE MICK 89), flags and southern crosses are alot more common. I put it down to the facebook and myspace hype for that.

I wouldnt call it un australian to not want to put up flags, though i wouldnt call it un australian to have them, regardless where the flags are made.

Quote:
If you respect and are grateful for the people who have fought and/or died in wars serving their country, then that goes a long way.
My grand parents on my fathers side fought for the opposition (depending what your views on the wars were) and although the outcome was what we have today, i cannot be grateful as war is a waste of life, but i am very respectful that people had fought for a better way of life.

I feel being australian is doing good for the country, helping out your fellow mate and not letting differences affect our way of life.

95 EF XR8, Advance headers, Vortech V2 t trim blower, Ported Cobra Manifold, Capa Switch Chip Eliminator. 307 rwhp 395 ft/lb 13.2 @ 105mph

Now NA- AFR 165 heads, 1.6RR, Ported Cobra 269rwhp 14.2 ... needs stall and 4.11's

1977 CL Chrysler Panel Van, 360, 727 torqueflite auto soon to be restored.
schnoods is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-02-2010, 06:22 PM   #38
Peuty
Afterburner + skids =
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by schnoods
For some reason lately, people are trying to identify themselves more and more.

People with custom numberplates with their surname isnt good enough, they gotta add the year as well (IE MICK 89),
What the?

Oo\===/oO
Peuty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-02-2010, 07:55 PM   #39
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6_661
All in all, I straighten my hair, I wear tight bright shirts and I drink alcopops...Am I un-Australian? No.
Nah mate, you're worse than "un-Australian", you're GENERATION Y!

Haha jokes, I'm Gen Y too.

I drive a car built in Germany, by a company owned by America, my clothes I wear come from China and drink imported beer.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-02-2010, 09:39 PM   #40
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 
Thumbs up

Sometimes it takes a resurgence in days such as Anzac and Australia Day to remind people that they are allowed to be passionate about their country.

How many of us display half as much passion about their nation as they do for their Footy, Rugby teams, or for the Blue Oval or the Lion?

Australia Day makes it that bit easier for those who find it hard to be passionate I guess. That's a good thing IMO.

I know there's stacks of clowns who get smashed and look for trouble. They are morons IMO and it pains me to see them each year on the TV wearing the flag whilst they do stupid things.

For me, such days remind me how great this nation is, how grateful I am that my parents rode a ship for months to get here, how blessed I am that Australia allowed them to come, and that they stayed and made good after all the racist rubbish they (and we) had thrown at them. My dad was born on another country's soil, became an Aussie and now is buried here. RIP DAD!

All this gave me a headstart in life that most people on earth would kill for.

I have no doubt, that this is the best nation on earth, I thank God I was born here.

Fly the flag or not? Each to their own. Thank God we have the choice whether we do so or not.

Cheers,

GK

2015 Kia Sorento Platinum - Snow White Pearl

2001 Ducati Monster 900Sie - Red

Now gone!
1999 AU1 Futura Wagon - Sparkling Burgundy
On LPG

Want a Full Life? John 10:10
GK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-02-2010, 09:55 PM   #41
Dave_au
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Australia Day is seemingly about bogans being louder than usual in their blue singlets, thongs, flags being worn as capes, sheilas dressed provocatively and everybody telling foreigners to go home...
Bingo! And it's getting worse every single year. Australia day has quickly become my least favourate public holiday.
Dave_au is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-02-2010, 10:08 PM   #42
PACEY_FIX
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaz
I don't need a bloody flag, I drive an Australian designed and build Ford!! There's my bloody flag.

Most apt reply yet! :

06' BF Force 6... Opeth and Devin Townsend in the passenger seats
PACEY_FIX is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-02-2010, 10:14 PM   #43
Hords
Treasure your balls?

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6_661
All in all, I straighten my hair, I wear tight bright shirts and I drink alcopops...Am I un-Australian? No.
No, you're something else...
Old 01-02-2010, 10:15 PM   #44
ford man xf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Australia Day is seemingly about bogans being louder than usual in their blue singlets, thongs, flags being worn as capes, sheilas dressed provocatively and everybody telling foreigners to go home...

For me, being Australian is about embracing foreign cultures. If we were still little Britain, our choice of culinary delights would be terrible.

Australia has been built on immigrants coming from all over the world and calling each other, 'mate'.

Not acting like a drunken retard in public in the name of being 'Australian', forgetting that your ancestry came from Europe or America or somewhere else...
Sorry to say it, but it was the UK that built this country.
ford man xf is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-02-2010, 10:22 PM   #45
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by ford man xf
On rock and roll?
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-02-2010, 10:27 PM   #46
ford man xf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Damo
On rock and roll?
Yeh just like the song
Old 01-02-2010, 10:30 PM   #47
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ford man xf
Yeah, but Britain is a white colony. It is hardly a foreign culture when you compare it to other nations of the world.
A lot of the racism nowadays is towards Eastern countries situated in Asia and the Middle East.

Things like pizza, pasta, souvlakis, curry dishes etc. don't grow magically on Australian native trees.

However, I also commented on how some people forget that their ancestry is British or white-European and they too were foreigners once, yet they tell people with different colour skin to 'go home' etc.

The richness of Australia is the range of cultures we have accepted.

Don't snap my undies.
Old 01-02-2010, 11:41 PM   #48
MethodX
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

Unfortunately I think that over time, it may be forgotten...I hope I am wrong.

Then again Ford and holden are just the Australian arms of US multinationals.
so you know.
Still, more Aussie than a Mitsu lancer.
MethodX is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-02-2010, 11:54 PM   #49
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by MethodX
Then again Ford and holden are just the Australian arms of US multinationals.
so you know.
Still, more Aussie than a Mitsu lancer.
Irrespective, what car you drive really is not that important.
I've seen people in Holdens and Fords throw their Maccas garbage or cigarettes out of their window...

It is how you feel, not necessarily what you do.

Don't snap my undies.
Old 02-02-2010, 08:41 AM   #50
LTDHO
The one and only

Does buying Australian make you Australian?

Whilst I agree, we need to buy more local and less imported, I wouldn't say this has any bearing on how Australian you are.

Kids today are Australian just by getting a trendy southern cross tattoo and think they have more Australian. At least they are doing something I suppose.

However, back on topic.
If you are going to show how proud you are of a country, at least make sure the flag is made here.
Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe
LTDHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-02-2010, 11:49 AM   #51
XR6_661
Cane Farmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hords
No, you're something else...
Go on mate, have a crack..say it!

Very Australian to be judgemental of others...

1994 ED XR6T - Cobalt Blue.

2009 FG XR6 - Black.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex
I couldn't give a crap how many are in their family, what gay passtimes they paticipate in, or whether they have a cat, dog or a freaken fish.

Keep your stinking family to yourself god damn it.
XR6_661 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-02-2010, 12:12 PM   #52
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTDHO
Does buying Australian make you Australian?

If it makes you feel better about being Australian, go for it. But dont forget there are MANY 100% Australian business's and families you would not be supporting.

| [/url] |

101,436 MEMBERS ......... 101,436 OPINIONS ..... What could possibly go wrong!

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Auslandau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-02-2010, 03:21 PM   #53
Magna
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

just checked the package on my flag. its a carrol & richardson 100% made in Australia. they also make other country flags as well :
Magna is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-02-2010, 06:11 PM   #54
Keepleft
Mot Adv-NSW

Quote:
Yeah? Okay....

Quote:
For me, being Australian is about embracing foreign cultures. If we were still little Britain, our choice of culinary delights would be terrible.
Anti Brit much? Besides, wasn't just spuds, fish n chips ya know....

Quote:
Australia has been built on immigrants coming from all over the world and calling each other, 'mate'.
Certainly since WW2, 70's, 80's, 90's, 00's.

Quote:
Not acting like a drunken retard in public in the name of being 'Australian', forgetting that your ancestry came from Europe or America or somewhere else...
Even "native Australian's" arrived from somewhere else.
Keepleft is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-02-2010, 06:20 PM   #55
Keepleft
Mot Adv-NSW

Quote:
Yeah, but Britain is a white colony.
Yup, anti-white! And Britain is not a 'colony', well, certainly not a white one anymore:-)

Quote:
It is hardly a foreign culture when you compare it to other nations of the world.
Don't know much about modern Britain do you? Most popular baby boys name today is???

Quote:
A lot of the racism nowadays is towards Eastern countries situated in Asia and the Middle East.
And never in return, I see only whitie can be racists eh?! I guess some of that is a result of decent people 'everywhere' reacting to extreme events of late.

Quote:
Things like pizza, pasta, souvlakis, curry dishes etc. don't grow magically on Australian native trees.
Duh, who cares?

Quote:
However, I also commented on how some people forget that their ancestry is British or white-European and they too were foreigners once, yet they tell people with different colour skin to 'go home' etc.
As were the original inhabitants btw, some 4OK years ago.

Quote:
It can be considered 'a' richness, but not necessarily 'the'.

Btw, I lived 2.5 years in Malaysia, I know reverse racism, and AUSSIE in comparison is ubber soft. Yes, yes, yes, I know we are 'white devils'.

Heck, go read the Times Of India,>>> letters, and see examples hate speach, yet India is an ally! My personal care factor for this however is zero. Like it or not (and we do have a STRONG anti-white, anti-Brit heritage population), England - developed this country, and I for one am happy it was so.

Last thing; I DON'T fly the flag (don't support a change for now either), nor do I have 'tatts', or drink regularly, just in case you were wondering:-) Don't wear blue singlets either!

Last edited by Keepleft; 02-02-2010 at 06:32 PM.
Keepleft is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-02-2010, 06:51 PM   #56
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keepleft

Heck, go read the Times Of India,>>> letters, and see examples hate speach, yet India is an ally! My personal care factor for this however is zero. Like it or not (and we do have a STRONG anti-white, anti-Brit heritage population), England - developed this country, and I for one am happy it was so.

Last thing; I DON'T fly the flag (don't support a change for now either), nor do I have 'tatts', or drink regularly, just in case you were wondering:-) Don't wear blue singlets either!
My goodness how fitting. I just returned for there a few days ago and was disgusted at how they were portraying us in the media. It made me so sick and angry with rage.

I have actually just replied to some of their articles in the comments section to let off steam. Sorry to sway off topic.
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-02-2010, 07:34 PM   #57
ford man xf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Yeah, but Britain is a white colony. It is hardly a foreign culture when you compare it to other nations of the world.

Absolutely. But I personally don't credit how great this country is because of the different cultures that have migrated here, I credit it more to the British influence, laws we inherited, security, way of life and religion, they are all massively influenced by our British ancestry.

Mum gets her spaghetti recipe from a book and its delicious
Old 02-02-2010, 07:35 PM   #58
TUF_302
The Vengeful One
Donating Member1

You can be a proud patirot without having to show everyone!
Old 02-02-2010, 11:10 PM   #59
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

My god.

Some of the rubbish in here makes me sick. My mother is Dutch, my father an Aussie of Irish decent and I call my self a bloody Aussie. The way some of you guys are sooking up calling each other names and carrying on just makes me wonder, it really does.

Who cares where your stuff comes from, who cares what you do at home. You live here, you love the country, you embrace the culture (the real one, not the BS rubbish) then you are a bloody Aussie.

Enough of the name calling. Time for a beer and a laugh guys.
07 Renault Sport Megane F1 Team R26 #1397
RG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-02-2010, 12:02 AM   #60
ford man xf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by RG
My god.

Some of the rubbish in here makes me sick. My mother is Dutch, my father an Aussie of Irish decent and I call my self a bloody Aussie. The way some of you guys are sooking up calling each other names and carrying on just makes me wonder, it really does.

Who cares where your stuff comes from, who cares what you do at home. You live here, you love the country, you embrace the culture (the real one, not the BS rubbish) then you are a bloody Aussie.

Enough of the name calling. Time for a beer and a laugh guys.
Did I miss something? Where's the name calling??