Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 01-02-2010, 04:35 PM   #31
ORSM-XT
ORSM Ford Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJL351
Awesome list - it really is; however, who under the age of 30 really knows him?
Im 18 and I know who he is, I have had autographs and Photo's taken on a number of occasions with him.

But!

who under 30, that isnt a motorsport fan, that isnt a ford fan, would know him?

Being "Ambassador" means you gotta be able to lure people across to the Blue oval. Alan Moffat means alot to Ford, dont get me wrong, but does he mean alot to everyone else? If your not a real house-hold name with all of Australia, how can you generate Sales?
Old 01-02-2010, 04:39 PM   #32
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ORSM-XT
Im 18 and I know who he is, I have had autographs and Photo's taken on a number of occasions with him.

But!

Being "Ambassador" means you gotta be able to lure people across to the Blue oval. Alan Moffat means alot to Ford, dont get me wrong, but does he mean alot to everyone else? If your not a real house-hold name with all of Australia, how can you generate Sales?
While i understand your point that would also rule out any one involved in motorsport in this country...
Who do you propose? a rock or soapy star?

Old 01-02-2010, 04:39 PM   #33
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ORSM-XT

But!

This is what I was getting at. I cant see how his role is going to increase sales.

The die hards that know him already buy Ford V8's, I cant see someone being lured to FPV because Moffatt said that it "goes like the clappers.....ahy".

His a champ, legends, hero etc etc but is he right for the job in which FPV has made up? Hmmmm dont know, why cant they use a FPR driver if they want to make the racing link stronger and attract current younger buyers.

I cant see Moffatt podcasting or being streamed for product launches etc.

I still look forward to him representing FPV and Ford though, but he unofficially still does that anyway by being at shows and signings etc.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-02-2010, 04:49 PM   #34
4VCLEVO
XA GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Vman
In terms of "Ford Legend" status id rank Moffat well above Seto or Bowe, and comfortably above Johnson who id rate as our second greatest racing "Legend".....
Yes, they are both Ford legends, 40+ years and he still belives in the Falcon GT. I'm sure FPV will be able to use Moffat to there advantage.
Old 01-02-2010, 04:57 PM   #35
magoo66
JAFO

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgxr8
It's a family affair now with James at FPR. Anyone who has spoken personally to Allan will know that his blood runs blue despite dalliances in other brands. He is the man who got me interested in high performance Fords in the late 60s and i can think of no better person to do the job.Well done Moff.
Cheers
GT450
Ah yes, the glory days. A.M. inspired mine, my fathers and most of my friends love of the blue oval. For any true blue blood, I think the part of your post that I've made bold says all that needs to be said about A.M.
magoo66 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-02-2010, 04:59 PM   #36
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

This can only mean good things for Ford leading on into the future. Lets hope this pays off.

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic
blueoval is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-02-2010, 04:59 PM   #37
DJL351
XR & FPV Owner

I think some are missing the mark, as they are looking at this through their GT/Phase/Old Days coloured glasses.

If the idea is to pump up the chests of 'US', the die hard fans, then great, top choice; but, if the plan is to draw in more customers, they have (as they so often do) gone in the wrong direction.

4Vman asked, who would be better suited? - I'm not sure.
Maybe an AFL player; although they may not be known by all, there would be a larger chance that kids and women would take notice.
2005 BF GT (6sp manual - Build #183)
2015 SZ MkII Territory Titanium
2016.75 LZ Focus Sport

Quote:
probably the stupidist post on aff - congrats
Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
There was once a time when every young man in this country was familiar with firearms and many owned them privately along with a stock of ammo and some bush gear.

Now the best we can hope for is to unfriend them on facebook then SMS their commanders with !!!1!!!!!!11!1!! and then finally plank a tank.......
DJL351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-02-2010, 05:00 PM   #38
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Who do you propose? a rock or soapy star?
Wiggles would be a good choice. They can relate to the younger ford fan. :hihi:
Bucknaked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-02-2010, 05:09 PM   #39
Spitfire 6.2
V6 3L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucknaked
Wiggles would be a good choice. They can relate to the younger ford fan. :hihi:
No good, they already have a contract with their "Big Red Car"
Spitfire 6.2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-02-2010, 05:17 PM   #40
Chopped
as in chopped

But who can understand Canadian ?!
:

He will probably turn up in a RX7.
Old 01-02-2010, 05:23 PM   #41
RedHotGT
Long live the Falcon GT

Can't think of a better person to represent the brand and build it up...

Certainly recognised as a FORD person with credit (while not recently, certainly his history cannot be argued with)...

Look forward to watching this develop....
Old 01-02-2010, 05:40 PM   #42
magoo66
JAFO

Quote:
I think some are missing the mark, as they are looking at this through their GT/Phase/Old Days coloured glasses.

If the idea is to pump up the chests of 'US', the die hard fans, then great, top choice; but, if the plan is to draw in more customers, they have (as they so often do) gone in the wrong direction.

4Vman asked, who would be better suited? - I'm not sure.
Maybe an AFL player; although they may not be known by all, there would be a larger chance that kids and women would take notice.
I actually think that they've hit the mark and looking through GT/Phase/Old Days coloured glasses is not a bad thing. I can see where your coming from, but pumping up the chests of 'US', the die hard fans could be one of the best market strategies they've ever come up with. Afterall, whilst there will be some younger people that can afford to buy FPV's, it's mostly 'US' that are buying them. The average age of HSV buyers is 38 and if you exclude the VXR buyers (mostly early 30's), they're in their mid 40's and a lot of them went to the dark side when Ford dropped the V8, but they still remember the glory days.

Having A.M. should attract some of those still faithfull to the blue oval who have not previously bought an FPV and may attract some back from the dark side. This means that FPV will have a greater presence on the road, attracting more buyers and having a lot more people influencing the younger generation. I have not met many people who have not been influenced by their fathers choice of car, I would think that if you asked most people on this forum, their father probably drives a Ford. With the exception of having a Charger for about 3 years in the early 70's mines driven nothing else since the late 60's.
magoo66 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-02-2010, 05:43 PM   #43
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT-Mark
No good, they already have a contract with their "Big Red Car"
Bugger
Bucknaked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-02-2010, 06:02 PM   #44
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

FFS people

GTHO Phase 3, the ICON of all performance Falcons
Bathurst, the legendary race

WHO DROVE THE PHASE 3 GTHO THAT WON BATHURST?
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-02-2010, 06:10 PM   #45
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

Quote:
FFS people

Here here, enough said, sum's it all up really.
galaxy xr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-02-2010, 06:25 PM   #46
DJL351
XR & FPV Owner

Quote:
FFS people

I know the answer, as you do and 98% of the members on this forum.

My father-in-law doesn't, nor my mother-in-law (both drive Falcons), sister & brother-in-law, not a clue (just bought an FG XR). Now, they don't follow much sport either way and lived most of thier lives in NSW (following NRL) - however, they know who C Judd is, Franklin too.

My point is simply, IF this is a ploy to get more sales from joe public, FPV have missed the mark by a massive amount.
If this is about getting the die-hards to all upgrade their XRs & GTs, then they are in with a chance.

As for AM's input, I doubt there will be any, as already pointed out, the key word in this all is Ambassador.
2016.75 LZ Focus Sport

Quote:
Quote:
There was once a time when every young man in this country was familiar with firearms and many owned them privately along with a stock of ammo and some bush gear.

Now the best we can hope for is to unfriend them on facebook then SMS their commanders with !!!1!!!!!!11!1!! and then finally plank a tank.......
Old 01-02-2010, 06:32 PM   #47
cosmo20btt
Fordaholic

May be the thought is to have an FPV Allan Moffat Special as this would fit in well with being an Ambassador for FPV, and tie in with the old days as well as some of his last dealer cars were 302s, and have another Moffat driving in Motorsport.
After all they did just release a GS last year thats an old school name.
cosmo20btt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-02-2010, 06:52 PM   #48
FPV8U
BOSS 5.4L Enthusiast

Quote:

My father-in-law doesn't, nor my mother-in-law (both drive Falcons), sister & brother-in-law, not a clue (just bought an FG XR). Now, they don't follow much sport either way and lived most of thier lives in NSW (following NRL) - however, they know who C Judd is, Franklin too.

My point is simply, IF this is a ploy to get more sales from joe public, FPV have missed the mark by a massive amount.
If this is about getting the die-hards to all upgrade their XRs & GTs, then they are in with a chance.

As for AM's input, I doubt there will be any, as already pointed out, the key word in this all is Ambassador.

Agreed, While i think the Signing of Moffet is a good move for FPV in relation to us "The Brotherwood" if you like, but to "The Mob" it's a bit of a Alan Who?
FPV8U is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-02-2010, 06:53 PM   #49
mrbaxr6t
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

isn't there an anniversary of Falcon approaching and a big one, and they have someone that harks from the days before commodore...... I see some people from the holden camp getting a long overdue history lesson on who has been manufacturing what and for how long - do it already :evil3:

Holden special vehicles - for special people
mrbaxr6t is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-02-2010, 07:17 PM   #50
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

They drive falcons not FPVs.

If they are not car enthusiasts then it is unlikely they will spend $80k on a GT-E/F6-E over a $50k G6ET or $40k G6-E.

Having an ambassador who has actually "walked the walk" rather than just "talked the talk", "squawked the squawk" or has the nice boobs and is on TV a lot is a great move.

And seriously, if you do not know who Mophett or Brock et are/were then why would you even think of buying a nasty fuel guzzelling politically incorrect average quality build overpowered V8 over a much more advanced more efficient more comfortable smoother safer vehicle.

FPV would have as much interest to you as Prius has to me.

i.e.

Which of these $80k vehicles are the aussie muscle car choice?

FPV, HSV, Merc 200, BMW 3 series, AUDI A4, Lexus.......

Clue (the ones with the big V8s and race farkles like back in the 70s when Moffet and Brock were the kings)
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-02-2010, 07:26 PM   #51
GT
Mrs Russellw
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: All your effort in keeping me sane and on-track. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For her honest, direct and helpful advice to members. The content of her posts help many members on the forum and most times, turn a very negative thread into a postive one. 

AT LAST!!! Someone has seen the light!

AFF members - embrace this as a great opportunity - stop knocking!

I brought Alan to a day with me, when we worked together and some AFF members attended and were thrilled to have quality time with him and had masses of gear signed. Others sat at home on their computers and the slagging was embarrassing and was so bad that the thread was removed at my request. Chris with the V8 CORTY - think you were one of the lucky (and very well mannered) ones, really enjoyed the opportunity with a man that is quiet, humble and a legend.

If you are too young to understand then listen to your elders - HE IS A LEGEND!

GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAMS290
Fact is Gaela's GTP IS the quickest NA Boss 290 Sedan now (by a long shot)
The precedent of stripping weight and using full slicks was set years ago now.

So if you want to beat em, ya gotta join em, and being manual makes the time even more credible.
GT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-02-2010, 07:28 PM   #52
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
FFS people

WELL SAID...

I'll bet anyone questioning this or who he is isnt a serious potential FPV customer anyway....

Last edited by 4Vman; 01-02-2010 at 07:33 PM.
4Vman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-02-2010, 07:38 PM   #53
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Go the Moff.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-02-2010, 07:41 PM   #54
Burnout
Falcon RTV - FG G6ET
Donating Member3

The man who drove the legend and became a legend - can't take that away from him.
And we went wild when the 1-2 came in '77!

RTV Power
FG G6ET 50th Anniversary in Sensation.
While the basic Ford Six was code named Barra, the Turbo version clearly deserved its very own moniker – again enter Gordon Barfield.
We asked him if the engine had actually been called “Seagull” and how that came about.
“Actually it was just call “Gull”, because I named it that. Because we knew it was going to poo on everything”.
Burnout is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-02-2010, 07:44 PM   #55
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

Good for an ambassador, to those who are already in the market for a car like a FPV or HSV.

Remember the last time Moffett lent his name to a Falcon, supercharged "HO"....

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-02-2010, 07:47 PM   #56
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
WELL SAID...

I'll bet anyone questioning this or who he is isnt a serious potential FPV customer anyway....
Do you sleep with a V8 poster under your pillow?

How about we all start taking acid or whatever was in during the 70's and relive the grand ol times, when men were men, when cars were all steel and Kamahl (sp?) was the only Indian to be seen. (that was all in jest for the PC nazi's).

FFA isn't quite a fair comparison to the market as a whole, but its obvious that the "younger" ones here dont quite see the link (while acknowledging the history) the older ones are drooling with their deposits at the ready for the HO/GT-H revival.

Granted you need to feed your current market, but what about building the future? How old is AM? 60 something? I didn't know the average age of the GT owner had spiked that far.

Why cant a current FPR driver do the job? Im sure they are paid enough to add another couple of meetings to the agenda.

So FPV has yet again cracked the "great idea, wrong execution" target smack between the eyes.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-02-2010, 07:55 PM   #57
DJL351
XR & FPV Owner

Quote:
They drive falcons not FPVs.

If they are not car enthusiasts then it is unlikely they will spend $80k on a GT-E/F6-E over a $50k G6ET or $40k G6-E.

Having an ambassador who has actually "walked the walk" rather than just "talked the talk", "squawked the squawk" or has the nice boobs and is on TV a lot is a great move.

And seriously, if you do not know who Mophett or Brock et are/were then why would you even think of buying a nasty fuel guzzelling politically incorrect average quality build overpowered V8 over a much more advanced more efficient more comfortable smoother safer vehicle.

FPV would have as much interest to you as Prius has to me.

i.e.

Which of these $80k vehicles are the aussie muscle car choice?

FPV, HSV, Merc 200, BMW 3 series, AUDI A4, Lexus.......

Clue (the ones with the big V8s and race farkles like back in the 70s when Moffet and Brock were the kings)
Don't preach to the choir! But again you seem to missing the question I am asking.

And, as an avid supporter, you might want to learn the mans name - there is no e, only an o and an a.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT
AT LAST!!! Someone has seen the light!

AFF members - embrace this as a great opportunity - stop knocking!

I brought Alan to a day with me, when we worked together and some AFF members attended and were thrilled to have quality time with him and had masses of gear signed. Others sat at home on their computers and the slagging was embarrassing and was so bad that the thread was removed at my request. Chris with the V8 CORTY - think you were one of the lucky (and very well mannered) ones, really enjoyed the opportunity with a man that is quiet, humble and a legend.

If you are too young to understand then listen to your elders - HE IS A LEGEND!

GT
I do not believe anyone has questioned his status in the world of Motor Racing, he did things in those cars that were god like at the time and have only increased to Titan levels since.

Given the chance to meet him again, I will queue for hours with the rest of them.

My question relates to his relevance outside the Motorsport mad group we are.
My question asks what direction is FPV trying to take? One year they are saying they want to break away from the boy-racer Motorsport fan customer and move towards 'the rest' of the motoring market, now, beased on this announcement, they seem to be trying to align the two.

Quote:
WELL SAID...

I'm questioning it and I already own one.... so have another swing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal
Do you sleep with a V8 poster under your pillow?

How about we all start taking acid or whatever was in during the 70's and relive the grand ol times, when men were men, when cars were all steel and Kamahl (sp?) was the only Indian to be seen. (that was all in jest for the PC nazi's).

FFA isn't quite a fair comparison to the market as a whole, but its obvious that the "younger" ones here dont quite see the link (while acknowledging the history) the older ones are drooling with their deposits at the ready for the HO/GT-H revival.

Granted you need to feed your current market, but what about building the future? How old is AM? 60 something? I didn't know the average age of the GT owner had spiked that far.

Why cant a current FPR driver do the job? Im sure they are paid enough to add another couple of meetings to the agenda.

So FPV has yet again cracked the "great idea, wrong execution" target smack between the eyes.
In total agrement, this is the point I am trying to make.
2016.75 LZ Focus Sport

Quote:
Quote:

Last edited by DJL351; 01-02-2010 at 07:57 PM. Reason: added Polyal's quote
Old 01-02-2010, 07:56 PM   #58
SSD-85
I ♥ EDM
Donating Member1

I think having The Moff on FPVs' side is a fantastic idea. We need to remember that while we are talking about categorising the younger generation into not knowing about The Moff, this very youth in question are all over the Turbo 6, not the V8. And from what I can gather, we have no real representation of the I6T by a celebrity.

On a side note, I am only 24. I know about Allan Moffat. If I didn't, I wouldn't call myself a Ford fan.
SSD-85 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-02-2010, 07:56 PM   #59
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal

The younger ones here arent going to be able to afford a FPV either...

The current crop of drivers are seen simply as employee's, they're not viewed as brand loyal like they drivers from the Moffat, Brock, Johnson era, they dont build or engineer their own cars either....
None of the current crop are viewed as "legends" or "icons" of the sport either, as they're still participating.. None of them represent a figure potential buyers look upto or hold with esteme...

In this case "Legend" or "Icon" status comes from a long history of success for a brand... Moff ticks all the boxes....

Old 01-02-2010, 07:59 PM   #60
phillyc
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always factual and beneficial. 

The name is MOFFAT people. And yes, he is a LEGEND.

Boss349 built. Not yet run. Waiting on a shell.

Retrotech thread
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...1363569&page=6
phillyc is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post