Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 02-06-2005, 11:06 AM   #31
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

My point was related back to the media, not the fact that it was acceptable, but the fact that there are far worse things happening on our roads which the government seem to just forget about..... In QLD there is no limit on speed for L / P platers, they can travel at the signed limit whether it be 100 or 110 km / hour.. sorry for getting that part a little confused. I know of young people that drive around on their Learners with no adults with them all the time, I think it is a joke on their parents behalf but they just don't seem to care.

There are alot of factors that would have to be considered before anyone really could make judgement on how serious this particular case was.... The consideration of the Highway (which i know nothing about) along with the time, the amount of traffic on the road along with the vehicle he was driving would all have to be considered to determine how great the risk was, even though obviously he was breaking the law. It does spark the question however of whether or not PARENTS need to be made aware of the risks associated with letting their children do silly things in cars.
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-06-2005, 11:13 AM   #32
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MITCHAY
In my L training i learnt that it is rarely only one factor to an accident and usually is 2 or more factors. I mean what are this dudes parents goin to do slap him across the head while hes driving. A normal kid would slow down though.

About ABS brakes well they lose stopping distance in a straight lane and are more for twisty roads or swerving motions. On a gravel road its actually better to lock your brakes as the build up of gravel infront of your tyres can slow you down. On a normal straight road you will lose stopping distance with ABS brakes.

Ive got ABS and can tell anyone that straight away that you have to brake earlier in a straight line because when you hard brake it still doesnt have as much stop as non ABS cars (which will lock with too much brake). On the twisty stuff there is nothing better but on straight stuff brake earlier.

If this L driver gets caught doin that speed on his Ls imagine what he might clock up on his Ps without his parents next to him. And im sure if the weather was bad they would of mentioned it to add strength to the story.

And its a shame when P and fully licenced drivers tailgate and intimidate them when they are abiding by the law and even now as a P driver i still cop a rear vision mirror full of another car when im doin the speed limit. I wont speed just cause someone else is a hurry.
Maybe you dont know how to use your ABS properly... With ABS fitted vehicles its not about applying pressure, its more about applying enough so the ABS cuts in and out, which in effect will stop the car alot sooner then putting your foot through the firewall.. I have done numerious driver training days in an AU II Fairmont our company had and learnt the difference between using ABS to my advantage and wasting it. I also was given the opportunity to drive a 90 model Nissan Pulsar just to show me the difference between the ABS fitted vehicle and Non ABS fitted vehicle, and I can tell you the Fairmont won by a long shot esspecially in the wet areas.. Regardless of whether it was straight line or around cones etc the ABS pulled up better..
Old 02-06-2005, 11:29 AM   #33
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

I just found this post and hey guess what i've been pulled over by that same cop recently on the same strech of highway...for doing 115 in a 110 zone on a sunday at 6.30 in the morning with not a soul to be seen. I know I was in the wrong and I accept that but still 5 kays in a 110 zone is a bit of a non issue.
07 Renault Sport Megane F1 Team R26 #1397
RG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-06-2005, 11:40 AM   #34
Timmeh
Fairmont Ghia

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShockWaveXR6na
22 kms over the limit wow... 22 kms makes shit all difference if your in a decent car with decent brakes...
I hope you're never driving thru a school zone where my kids are at.

Tim
Timmeh is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-06-2005, 11:59 AM   #35
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

We are talking on a highway here...

Not a 50 / 60 / 70 / 80 / 90 zone a 110 zone.
Old 02-06-2005, 12:02 PM   #36
Timmeh
Fairmont Ghia

So then who makes the judgement call as to when it's ok to speed? Just trying to work out your train of thought.

Tim
Old 02-06-2005, 12:07 PM   #37
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Its not OK to speed, im not saying It is ok to speed...

What im saying is there are way more worse things you can do in a car then do 22 kms over the limit on a highway in a 110 km zone..... and that the media and police put alot of effort into making us aware of this, but don't with respect to other issues on our roads....

Do you not speed at all Tim... Never gone over 100 in a 100 zone?
Old 02-06-2005, 12:20 PM   #38
Timmeh
Fairmont Ghia

I agree that people do more stupid life threatening things than speeding on the highway, such as my point about school zones that people go thundering through. In fact, our brand new Honda Accord got bodyslammed yesterday by some bimbo in a Magna who was driving far too fast for the conditions.

I normally don't speed, obviously I don't watch my speedo like a hawk in case *gasp* I creep over the speed limit by 5kmh, I'll just keep pace with the traffic. I don't go out thinking 'hey, if I just go 22kmh over the speed limit, I'll be ok.' I've had far too many friends killed and been to far too many funerals over the last year to be dumb enough to want to follow in their footsteps. What's the hurry?

Tim
Old 02-06-2005, 12:30 PM   #39
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Good point... I don't speed myself but it is easy to go 10 over in the XR specially when your concertrating on the road and not using cruise control (most of my travelling is on rural highways).

But I really do think the RTA and Police need to crack down on unroadworthy cars, whether they are old oil burners that have no rubber or riceburners done up with blueheadlights etc. From my prospective of travelling in a rural setting alot I see more police out on the highways especially around towns like Warwick then I would ever see in the city. To be honest the only thing you see in the city are speed cameras on the side of the road, or a few hotted up patrol cars on the M1, and sadly thanks to Radio stations we all know where they are! So at one angle we have the media saying speeding is bad, but on the other we have them warning us where speed cameras are, which apparently SLOWS us down.. I know it only slows most down in that particular area, not fullstop. :
Old 02-06-2005, 12:45 PM   #40
merlin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XA Coupe
Amusing that people think that there isn't a problem with a L Plater doing ~130 ks.
I guess it's the invincibility of youth.
By the way, P platers do tend to drive like dickheads more .. I see it every day and guess what .. when I was a P Plater I did too !!
I would love to see all these guys that think they can speed ( like 20 - 30 ks faster than the limit ) safely do an advanced driving course .. it's a hell of an eye opener at how lousy your skills really are.
Agree 100% - 50 odd kays over their L plate limit is apparantly safe for some of you guys :togo:
1966 Ford Mustang coupe. 347 stroker, PA reverse manual C4, TCE high stall converter, B&M Pro Ratchet, Edelbrock alum heads, Edelbrock intake manifold, MSD ignition, Holley Street HP 750 CFM carb, gilmer drive, wrapped Hooker Super Comp Headers, dual 3" straight through exhaust, Bilstein shocks, custom springs, full poly suspension, American Racing rims, Open Tracker roller spring saddles and shelby drop.

Still to go - Holley Sniper EFI with integrated fuel cell.
merlin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-06-2005, 01:37 PM   #41
EDManual
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

130 is NOT FAST or DANGEROUS!!!!

Just got back from Canada and France. I am over driving in australia.
EDManual is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-06-2005, 01:48 PM   #42
The MaDDeSTMaN
No longer driving a Ford.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDManual

Depends on the road and the conditions. I think any fool who tried to do 130 on the road I live on would discover quite quickly that their car can become quite unstable when it becomes airbone and then lands on a roadsurface which is less then even...
The MaDDeSTMaN is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-06-2005, 04:40 PM   #43
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDManual

Would you consider it fast or dangerous for a person just learning to drive?
Rodp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-06-2005, 05:15 PM   #44
DivHunter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlin
Agree 100% - 50 odd kays over their L plate limit is apparantly safe for some of you guys :togo:
There is no "L plate limit" in Vic, L platers in Vic can do the full 110km/h, they can drive ANYTHING unlike P platers but P platers are still not "speed limited" as in NSW.
Speed cameras have changed the things we pay attention to and the things we regard as important. Instead of focusing on the dangers ahead, motorists feel that they have been relieved of responsibility for managing their own driving, and have ceded it instead to the mechanical intervention of the camera and other traffic signals.
DivHunter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-06-2005, 05:50 PM   #45
jeffb

Has anyone stopped to think that this kid may have more than near 0 experience? I mean I first touched the pedels at 7years old (not on the road obviously) but since that day I drove everything from bushbashers to sprint cars even trucks (offroad of course)on a regular basis, gives you plenty of time to find out lots of cause and effect in an environment that is offroad and for all of you saying that drving on the road in traffic is totally different..... yeh it is but I gained many many skills doing all of that stuff in my pre licence years which ultimately can only bring benifits when it comes time to drive on the road.

I myself got booked on my L's for 121 in a 100 zone on a country highway in queensland on our way back from Brisbane, I was in a 95 V8 LTD with my family, and was just cruising on cruise... if something were to all of a sudden have jumpped out in front of me and there was no time to stop at that speed, i can guarantee I woulnd't have been able to stop from 100 either.

Last edited by jeffb; 02-06-2005 at 06:58 PM.
jeffb is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-06-2005, 06:25 PM   #46
The MaDDeSTMaN
No longer driving a Ford.

Another thing I wonder if people have considered is how much skill is really involved with driving. I mean when you really think about it, it's a pretty complex thing to do. A slight difference in pressure applied to either the brake or accelerator pedal can make a HUGE difference. Same thing with steering, think for a second about the skill involved in turning the wheels the exact right amount to turn into a corner following a nice smooth line. All these things are things that most of us now take for granted, but they are incredibly complex skills when you think about it. And then when you look at the bigger picture, with other traffic, speed limits, the road rules, awareness of what is going on around you, the clutch and gearbox (if it's not an auto), etc. it's an activity which is far from simple.
The MaDDeSTMaN is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-06-2005, 06:46 PM   #47
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffb
Has anyone stopped to think that this kid may have more than near 0 experience? I mean I first toughed the pedels at 7years old (not on the road obviously) but since that day I drove everything from bushbashers to sprint cars even trucks (offroad of course)on a regular basis, gives you plenty of time to find out lots of cause and effect in an environment that is offroad and for all of you saying that drving on the road in traffic is totally different..... yeh it is but I gained many many skills doing all of that stuff in my pre licence years which ultimately can only bring benifits when it comes time to drive on the road.

I myself got booked on my L's for 121 in a 100 zone on a country highway in queensland on our way back from Brisbane, I was in a 95 V8 LTD with my family, and was just cruising on cruise... if something were to all of a sudden have jumpped out in front of me and there was no time to stop at that speed, i can guarantee I woulnd't have been able to stop from 100 either.
Same as me, I've been driving around our farm since I was 8, anything from cars to motorbikes. Then when i was 14 I started driving trucks..... I have never had an accident in my life nor a police infringement and I think its all thanks to being taught how to respect a vehicle at the younger stage in life rather then the later teens when we all go a little silly.