The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 20-11-2017, 04:18 PM   #31
hackney
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Recommendations for small SUV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bevsta007 View Post
Todays CVT = quiet smooth and fuel efficient & Reliable

Next Gen Mustang will have a 10 speed auto, I'm picking it wouldn't feel a whole lot different to a CVT.
I have just come back from the UK,where I had a Nissan Qashqai diesel”Tekna”(TI equivalent)it had a CVT trans,could not fault it, lovely vehicle to drive.All up I did 5,000 miles in it.Very smooth tranny,pretty seamless.Cheers
Old 20-11-2017, 07:00 PM   #32
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 

I hate CVT's and would never own a car with one.

BUT................for 99% of the car driving public, you know the ones that see a car as a transportation devise, a CVT makes a whole lot of sense. Under normal driving conditions they are smooth, quite and help delivery real world fuel economy benefits. Its really only car enthusiasts that find then a hindrance.

As I said, I don't like them personally, but they have their place.
Mustang GT

T3 TS50 - gone but not forgotten
DFB FGXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 20-11-2017, 08:01 PM   #33
rjk74
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The Missus bought a Qashqai petrol 6spd manual 18 months ago, great on fuel and so far faultless.
rjk74 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-11-2017, 08:20 PM   #34
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

Seen the videos on the 10-speed .... the changes are perceptible .... but anything above 6th is more overdrives than anything ... it's for economy on the highways more than anything with that gearing.

A bit overkill.

I can understand them using them in the larger trucks over there ... just not in as sports car though.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 21-11-2017, 12:44 PM   #35
ronwest
All Bran = Regular Member

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

We bought a new Kuga (Trend) for my wife 12 months or so ago.

Did the usual test drive this, look at that stuff.

I think there's not much difference mechanically or appointment wise but what pushed the Kuga to the front of the line was rear access.

We have young grandkids in her car a lot of the time.

She wanted a rear space that is accessed easily and would fit a pram with no problem.

Kuga was the only one we looked at that fulfilled the criteria.

There is no lip at rear space entry.

There is plenty of room for a pram (seen the size of modern prams?)

The tailgate does not taper towards the centre much so the opening is wider and more accessible than others we looked at.

There's other things she likes about it but she would have compromised on most of those. The rear space was non-negotiable.

ronwest is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-11-2017, 09:58 PM   #36
IanC

Beware of the latest Nissan X Trail. It is based on the Renault Megane so it has French reliability and French electrics. There is no way I would buy one. The previous model of X Trail was good but it was all Nissan.
IanC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-12-2017, 09:39 AM   #37
prydey
Rob

Just to finish off this thread, my folks bought a car yesterday. After looking at x trail, qashqai and tucson, and raising the budget bit by bit as they decide what they want, they ended up buying a brand new Tucson. Qashqai felt a bit cramped, especially in the rear, and although the x trail had more features, it felt bigger than the Tucson and the foot operated hand brake was a deal breaker for my mum, who will drive it most. Also lack of reversing sensors (camera only) also tipped them in favour of hyundai. Personally I thought the hyundai was a very nice car. Compared with the Nissan it felt like a nicer place to be on the inside. Nissan just felt a bit cheap to me.

They looked at an escape but weren't interested in paying for premium fuel and nothing I said could convince them it wasn't that big a deal.

Anyway, I think they will be more than happy with what they decided, and anyone in a similar position should seriously consider the Tucson.
prydey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 31-12-2017, 11:09 AM   #38
lra
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

This is not a criticism of their choice, rather a question of the definition of 'small', in how current car sizes are viewed.
The Territory was considered a large wagon when it was introduced.
On comparing the size of it to a Tucson, apart from the Terri being about 400mm longer, the overall dimensions are not that much different.
lra is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-12-2017, 01:49 PM   #39
stig_3754

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey View Post
Just to finish off this thread, my folks bought a car yesterday. After looking at x trail, qashqai and tucson, and raising the budget bit by bit as they decide what they want, they ended up buying a brand new Tucson. Qashqai felt a bit cramped, especially in the rear, and although the x trail had more features, it felt bigger than the Tucson and the foot operated hand brake was a deal breaker for my mum, who will drive it most. Also lack of reversing sensors (camera only) also tipped them in favour of hyundai. Personally I thought the hyundai was a very nice car. Compared with the Nissan it felt like a nicer place to be on the inside. Nissan just felt a bit cheap to me.

They looked at an escape but weren't interested in paying for premium fuel and nothing I said could convince them it wasn't that big a deal.

Anyway, I think they will be more than happy with what they decided, and anyone in a similar position should seriously consider the Tucson.

Tucson sounds like a good choice, looks good inside and out and reasonably priced. They’ve become quite popular on the road. My neighbour bought one a few months ago and he swears by it.

Agree re: Nissan too, I rented an X-Trail on our recent trip to the Gold Coast and while it was ok overall, it does feel a bit cheap and bland, though to be fair it was the base ST spec. Those foot brakes takes a fair bit of getting used to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Past Rides:
1997 EL Ford Fairmont 4A - Navy Blue
2006 BK Mazda 3 SP23 5A - Carbon Grey
2010 LV Ford Focus XR5 Turbo 6M - Frozen White
2013 LW Ford Focus ST 6M - Panther Black
stig_3754 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-12-2017, 02:13 PM   #40
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

7yr WTY !
Sister inlaw has one over a year now, suits their needs being non car people and are very happy to date.
Glad ma and pa finally got the update.
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet. Abraham Lincoln"
FTE217 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 31-12-2017, 03:19 PM   #41
prydey
Rob

Only 5 year warranty on the Hyundai but still plenty of peace of mind.

It does miss out on some features (no dual zone climate, no rear air vents), but that's not an issue for my folks.

I'm sure this will keep them happy for many years.
Old 31-12-2017, 03:25 PM   #42
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by lra View Post
This is not a criticism of their choice, rather a question of the definition of 'small', in how current car sizes are viewed.
The Territory was considered a large wagon when it was introduced.
On comparing the size of it to a Tucson, apart from the Terri being about 400mm longer, the overall dimensions are not that much different.
The interior dimensions are still a bigger difference but the Tucson was quite roomy inside. It felt smaller than the x trail which was a tick for my mum.

They occasionally still take passengers or pick family or friends up from the airport etc so the next size down just wasn't practical.