Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 29-04-2010, 08:40 PM   #31
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnz
L88 in 1978 i think was the last of the BB for car
again not shure if it was flint michigan or st louis missouri
leaning towards st louis because of alloy heads that michigan was not equipped.

2009 is for trucks 8.1ltr
The L18 8.1 litre V8s were built at Tonowada.

Quote:
Plant bids farewell to big block
End of production of V-8 engine at GM’s Tonawanda facility leads to 150 layoffs

Amid whistles and applause from onlookers, Willie Ray Jr. hoisted the final L18 made at General Motors’ Town of Tonawanda engine plant off the production line and onto a metal cart.

The moment was filled with meaning for the plant’s past, present and possibly its future.

It was the last of the “big block” V-8 engines made by the plant, a legacy dating to 1958 and a local connection under the hood of some renowned GM cars.

The end of the L18 on Friday also puts 150 hourly workers on layoff, bringing to 298 the total number of workers on layoff from the Tonawanda plant.

Along with their words of respect for the big block engines’ long history and regrets over layoffs, plant and union leaders said they are determined to secure a new engine line that would bring back workers.

“We’re all working very, very hard to make this the place for GM’s next engine,” said Steve Finch, plant manager.

The plant continues to make the L850 and inline 4- and 5-cylinder engines for other vehicles. And while the L18 accounted for only about 3 percent of the plant’s annual volume, Friday was its day to shine.
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-04-2010, 08:55 PM   #32
burnz
VFII SS UTE

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80
The L18 8.1 litre V8s were built at Tonowada.
good find.

all for trucks, i beleive you can still get 572cid crate that runs on 91ulp

well at least they'll have jobs now.
burnz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-04-2010, 11:27 PM   #33
madmelon
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The video talked about the plant getting the ecotec 4 cyl engine- that would be the replacement for the one recently discontinued in Australia due to "lack of demand" as Holden would have you believe. Clearly there is NOT a lack of demand, just a larger demand for AMERICAN jobs than for Aussie jobs...
madmelon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-04-2010, 11:31 PM   #34
burnz
VFII SS UTE

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmelon
The video talked about the plant getting the ecotec 4 cyl engine- that would be the replacement for the one recently discontinued in Australia due to "lack of demand" as Holden would have you believe. Clearly there is NOT a lack of demand, just a larger demand for AMERICAN jobs than for Aussie jobs...
family II is differant to an all alloy mill ecotec.
the engine was being mad cheaper in asia then here.
burnz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-04-2010, 07:23 AM   #35
Cobra
Bear with a sore head

This might compete with the N/A Coyote, but it's not going to have anything on our blown version.
Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-04-2010, 08:39 AM   #36
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra
This might compete with the N/A Coyote, but it's not going to have anything on our blown version.
It doesn't seem to me like GM is looking far enough ahead with its V8 design like Ford.

Down sizing Direct Injection and forced induction are going to be major players on all engines. I expect that future vehicles will have the smallish turbo or blown engines to improve efficiency but retain enough performance to keep customers happy.

Ford's strategy seems more mature and ready to drop on us but GM looks like still being several years off.....
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-04-2010, 08:40 AM   #37
Bad Bird
Watts a panhard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra
No. Yes. Maybe? It's all just speculation at this point.
Old 10-02-2011, 06:55 PM   #38
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Chicago show: GM springs 410kW blown V8 Camaro

http://www.goauto.com.au/mellor/mell...2578330005CD89

Quote:
Chev pumps up Camaro with supercharged 6.2-litre V8 for 2012 launch

10 February 2011

By RON HAMMERTON

A SUPERCHARGED 6.2-litre V8 Camaro packing 410kW of power has been previewed at the Chicago motor show ahead of a 2012 launch.

Called the ZL1 in homage to an iconic Camaro racing engine of the same name in the 1960s, the fastest official Camaro ever built is powered by General Motors’ blown LSA engine that made its debut in supercharged form in the 2009 Cadillac CTS-V.

Apart from 96 more kilowatts than the standard V8 Camaro, the top-shelf coupe will also be beefed up in critical areas, including the chassis, transmission and rear axle assembly.

Styling has also been enhanced to match the increased grunt, creating a new performance benchmark for the American muscle car’s fifth-generation, which was designed and engineered in Australia on Holden’s Zeta platform.

While Holden has ruled out the Camaro for Australia, at least in this generation, it is less clear if the supercharged version of the 6.2-litre LS3 V8 will make it to Australia under the bonnet of a future Holden Special Vehicles (HSV) model to counter rival Ford Performance Vehicle’s (FPV) locally developed supercharged ‘Miami’ 5.0-litre V8.

Chevrolet2012 Camaro center imageHolden’s official hot shop has taken regular updates of GM’s LS engines in the past, and while it is not commenting on future model plans, it has not ruled it out.

The Camaro is based on the same rear-drive platform as the HSV E-Series, meaning much of the engineering work required to transplant the blown engine into the Zeta chassis could already be complete.

HSV’s most powerful engine currently is the normally-aspirated 325kW/550Nm 6.2-litre LS2 as used in the GTS and Grange.

In the blue corner, FPV’s locally developed supercharged version of Ford’s 5.0-litre Coyote engine for its GT range develops 335kW and 575Nm.

FPV has said there is more performance where that came from, but whether it could pull 410kW out of a 5.0-litre engine to match GM’s new blown small-block V8 is debatable.

While the LSA V8 from GM is impressive, its power still falls short of the 460kW produced by HSV sister company Walkinshaw Performance’s similar supercharged V8 in its Commodore-based WP Series II.

That limited-edition HSV car, benefiting from an Edelbrock supercharger and other tweaks from Walkinshaw engineers in Melbourne to generate 780Nm of torque, was launched at last year’s Australian International Motor Show in Sydney, with just 23 examples slated for production.

According to GM, the new Camaro’s LSA V8 produces 677Nm of torque. No performance figures were released, with GM saying they would be announced later in the year when the car’s development is more advanced.

Chevrolet said the development goal for the Camaro ZL1 was to reach optimal lap times on top road-racing circuits and excellent driving dynamics on the street.

For the first time, a Camaro gets Magnetic Ride Control – a feature already used by HSV on its Commodore-based E-Series range – and electric power steering.

Apart from an intercooled four-lobe Eaton supercharger, the LSA engine gets premium heat-resistant aluminum-alloy cylinder heads, lightweight reciprocating assembly, high-strength pistons and piston oil squirters.

A dual-mode exhaust – as used on both Corvette and HSV models – has been added.

Electric power steering cuts power losses from a traditional pump, while the engine drives the rear wheels through a heavier, high-torque version of the six-speed Tremec manual gearbox with a dual-mass flywheel and twin-disc clutch for easy operation and shift smoothness.

The gear shift throw has been shortened for quicker shifts.

At the back, the drivetrain has been beefed up with a stronger driveshaft, larger and stronger cast iron differential housing, stronger axles and heavy-duty limited-slip differential.

Apart from the Magnetic Ride Control, the suspension gets repositioned rear stabiliser bars with drop links outboard of the control arms for less body roll.

Six-piston, Brembo disc brakes employing two-piece 370mm rotors combine with four-piston 365mm rear brakes to provide extra stopping power.

Body wise, the ZL1 gets a new front fascia and bonnet with air extractors for extra downforce. The vents in the bonnet are fashioned from carbon fibre and are painted matt black.

New 20-inch wheels – fitted with tyres developed by Goodyear especially for the ZL1 – combine with reshaped rocker panels, redesigned exhaust tips and a sprinkling of ZL1 badges complete the exterior package.

Inside, enhancements include microfibre inserts in the front seats, a redesigned steering wheel, alloy pedals, head-up display with unique performance readouts and a “four-pack” auxiliary gauge system featuring a boost readout.

The Camaro ZL1 was presented at Chicago by GM vice president global design Ed Welburn, who said everything about the ZL1’s design was directly related to its technology and serious performance, especially aerodynamics.

“Our designers’ goal was to execute that function-oriented design with beautifully sculpted forms, creating an imposing, powerful persona,” he said.

“Function becomes the aesthetic. The intent is a car that delivers on the attitude it projects.”

Chevrolet’s marketing vice-president Rick Scheidt said the company had revived the name from the 1960s Camaro all-aluminium track V8 engine that was installed in just 69 cars, achieving mythical status among Camaro fans as the pinnacle in Camaro performance.

“It’s the most technically advanced Camaro ever, so we’ve chosen a name from the most elite and exclusive Camaro in history,” he said.

The ZL1 will be available in all regular Camaro exterior colours, but only with a black interior.
Old 10-02-2011, 08:16 PM   #39
ebxr8240
Performance moderator

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical advice. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by danny351
Although interesting, i believe it when i see it.

GM news usually consists of:

1. Yes we will do it! Its Great
2. HEY EVERYONE! LOOK AT US! (Page 1 in wheels)
3. Yeah, actually we will do this, but with a slight variation.
4. No we will go back to the original idea, its great!
5. No, we wont do it at all........... (page 62 in wheels)

Kind of reminds me of the people running NSW !!! Lol...
Funny if it wasn't so true...
Dart 330ci block turbo black pearl EBXR8 482 rwkw..
Daily driver GTE FG..
Projects http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=107711
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...8+turbo&page=4
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-02-2011, 08:16 PM   #40
Lukeyson
Right out sideways

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoauto
FPV has said there is more performance where that came from, but whether it could pull 410kW out of a 5.0-litre engine to match GM’s new blown small-block V8 is debatable

LOL, um yeah
Old 10-02-2011, 08:20 PM   #41
HSE2

Yes Ford would need 7 litres plus SC to get 410.
BREAKING NEWS: The Pity Train has just derailed at the intersection of "Suck It Up & Move On" after it crashed into "We All Have Problems" before coming to a complete stop at "Get the Hell Over It." Reporting LIVE from Quitchur Bitchin'
HSE2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-02-2011, 08:35 PM   #42
ebxr8240
Performance moderator

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical advice. 

Or go turbo ??
Dart 330ci block turbo black pearl EBXR8 482 rwkw..
Daily driver GTE FG..
Projects http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=107711
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...8+turbo&page=4
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-02-2011, 08:45 PM   #43
HSE2

With the S/C, yes that might get us to 409. Not sure what these scribes think with sometimes.
BREAKING NEWS: The Pity Train has just derailed at the intersection of "Suck It Up & Move On" after it crashed into "We All Have Problems" before coming to a complete stop at "Get the Hell Over It." Reporting LIVE from Quitchur Bitchin'
HSE2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-02-2011, 10:15 PM   #44
ford man xf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Fords Australias marketing team are just so useless, I know it has been said over and over again like a scratched record, but why oh why does Ford Australia refuse or even acknowledge that not only is the Ford Falcon a completely Australian car and has been much longer than Holdens Commodore, but that their inline six is uniquely Australian and its V8 (the previous Boss and the current Coyote) not only uses local content, but are assembled here. It leaves me dismayed everytime.

The article mentions that the the supercharged Coyote is locally developed, but Ford Australia never push this fact.
ford man xf is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-02-2011, 11:24 PM   #45
CAT600
I miss my wheelbarrow
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out fellow AFF members... Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Daniels knowledge of modular engines and superchargers is extremely valuable to the AFF community. I have learnt quite a bit just reading his build threads. His contributions are often utilised by other members. 

I bet the 2011+ GT500 is still faster in a straight line. The SN197 Mustang platform is heavy for a pony car but the Camaro is "Aussie" heavy

The Camaro should stop and handle better though.

Daniel
CAT600 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-02-2011, 12:22 AM   #46
Wretched
Render unto Caesar

Quote:
Originally Posted by ford man xf
Fords Australias marketing team are just so useless, I know it has been said over and over again like a scratched record, but why oh why does Ford Australia refuse or even acknowledge that not only is the Ford Falcon a completely Australian car and has been much longer than Holdens Commodore, but that their inline six is uniquely Australian and its V8 (the previous Boss and the current Coyote) not only uses local content, but are assembled here. It leaves me dismayed everytime.

The article mentions that the the supercharged Coyote is locally developed, but Ford Australia never push this fact.
The Falcon is not completely "Australian."
It, like the Commodore sources many components from overseas.
The V8 is sourced from the US with a local S/C on top.
The I6 is locally built, but so is the Commodore six isn't it (imported block but local heads)?
The ZF is sourced overseas?

To be honest I am getting sick of this argument of which is more Australian than the other. They're both owned by international corporates with local manufacturing arms in AU. Both hire local and international resources, both assemble cars here.

Really, clutching straws.

Last edited by Wretched; 11-02-2011 at 12:29 AM.
Wretched is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-02-2011, 12:29 AM   #47
Joe5619
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

In this case, speak to FPV not Ford!!
Joe5619 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-02-2011, 12:53 AM   #48
ford man xf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wretched
The Falcon is not completely "Australian."
It, like the Commodore sources many components from overseas.
The V8 is sourced from the US with a local S/C on top.
The I6 is locally built, but so is the Commodore six isn't it (imported block but local heads)?
The ZF is sourced overseas?

To be honest I am getting sick of this argument of which is more Australian than the other. They're both owned by international corporates with local manufacturing arms in AU. Both hire local and international resources, both assemble cars here.

Really, clutching straws.
OK I should have been more clear, its Australian designed and manufactured.
An investigation by one of the Australian car magazines a few years ago found that out of the then 4 local car makers (then meaning Mitsubishi) Holden used the least Australian made components.
The Commodore V8 is a crate motor. The Coyote V8 used by FPV is locally assembled using 40% local parts.
The Falcon I6 is completely made and assembled here and has a long, proud & continuous history in Australia.

Whether you think its clutching at straws or not, isn't it time Ford Australia started marketing its locally made product as Australian????
Holden wins hands down with its marketing, they deserve a pat on the back for doing such an excellent job.
ford man xf is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-02-2011, 01:26 AM   #49
TheZHLANE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Does that make toyota Aussie too?
TheZHLANE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-02-2011, 12:30 PM   #50
Hulsty

Quote:
The Falcon I6 is completely made and assembled here and has a long, proud & continuous history in Australia.
Is that the case for the current crop of I6?

I know that the first Barra ones were not all made here, they were completely Australian assembled.
Hulsty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-02-2011, 12:44 PM   #51
terri tx

Ford have been making the I6 here since 1960.
Old 11-02-2011, 12:59 PM   #52
aussie muscle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by barra265t
GM should call the new motor RoadRunner V8 ^^
Then the GMs will be saying "coyote always chases the roadrunner, but never catches it"
Old 11-02-2011, 01:42 PM   #53
HULK EF
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

LOL at camaro article..
Quote) whether the SC 5.0 could pull 410 kw is debatable.. WTF!!!

Some have been pulling near on up to 350 RWKW.. surely that is allready 400+ KW at the engine.. lol
HULK EF is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-02-2011, 01:59 PM   #54
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by HULK EF
LOL at camaro article..

Some have been pulling near on up to 350 RWKW.. surely that is allready 400+ KW at the engine.. lol
Agreed, that is stupid! The 3.5 EcoBoost V6 has already been said to be able to achieve 500 HP for the Raptor R, which is nearly 400kw. I'm pretty sure a 5.0 can achieve well over that.
chevypower is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-02-2011, 05:20 PM   #55
tweeked
N/A all the way

All that the Miami needs to be a 410kw engine is a new badge.......

tweeked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-02-2011, 05:28 PM   #56
XR6Noir

Still yet to see any evidence of an 'answer' in an equivalent vehicle...
XR6Noir is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-02-2011, 05:39 PM   #57
b055m4n

come on guys !! 410 kws is possible with good engineering anything is possible but FPV must have the will to do it and land a kick in the guts to them.
b055m4n is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-02-2011, 10:58 PM   #58
Paxton
Cobblers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hulsty
Is that the case for the current crop of I6?

I know that the first Barra ones were not all made here, they were completely Australian assembled.
Aussie Block, imported heads.

The Commodore V6 was going to be 100% Australian Cast, but then ION Folded. It is currently cast (heads and block) in Mexico.
Roses are red. Violets are blue. OS X rocks. Homage to you.
Paxton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-02-2011, 11:06 PM   #59
Sorted
OzEcruisers PRESIDENT

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: For all the contributions you make to the AFF community. 

Pfffft who cares what Holden cough cough are doing in 2015

They haven't done it, blowing it out of their ***'s at the moment.

Tuned by DYNOMOTIVE

200BUX - AFF Drag Nats 2019 EF Wagon
Quote:
Originally Posted by rednose View Post
Common knowledge that the more weight you take out of the car the less power you need to run the time.
Sorted is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-02-2011, 05:26 PM   #60
irlewy86
Meep Meep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HULK EF
LOL at camaro article..

The author must have forgot FPV pulled the better part of 100kw out of the old Boss over time. And that was without the addition of forced induction.

What he should have said was...

"Whether the new supercharged small block will be competitive upon release with FPV having a clear head-start with their mill."