Old 05-08-2010, 09:44 PM   #31
g220ba
FGX XR8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_Warrior
And to make the Escape's cause look even worse, look what is about to arrive:

Caradvice gave it an absolute rave review:

http://www.caradvice.com.au/76884/20...ortage-review/
Looks are very subjective but i have to say that thing is absolutely hideous.

On the subject of the Kuga, do we really need to come back to this subject every single month? The Kuga is a very expensive car in comparison to it's competitors in europe. When Ford manage to make a business case (most likely when thailand comes online) you can bet it'll be here.

Last edited by g220ba; 05-08-2010 at 09:51 PM.
g220ba is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-08-2010, 09:49 PM   #32
g220ba
FGX XR8

sorry double post
g220ba is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-08-2010, 10:01 PM   #33
JPFS1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community. 

Quote:
Ford seems to be able to make the logistical costs add up for the Mondeo, even with its poor showing in the charts, and have now made it add up for the Focus RS, so I don't see how they can't take care of the logistical and infrastructure costs behind the Kuga.

As for the Kuga Titanium - where do I sign? (sorry for the massive pic, hyuk)
All I know is that they've been looking at it for a while and they can't get it to add up when considering the spec they require to compete, at the price points they want to achieve.
JPFS1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-08-2010, 12:59 AM   #34
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Kuga
Zetec
from £20,495

The Kuga Zetec brings you a blend of stunning design, outstanding driving quality and sheer capability unmatchable in its class, plus a generous level of specification. Key features include:

Intelligent All Wheel Drive
17” 5x2 – spoke alloy wheels
Keyless Start
Intelligent Protection System (IPS)
Airbags: driver’s and front passenger’s* front side, front and rear curtain
Electronic Stability Programme (ESP)
Anti-lock brakes (ABS) with electronic brake-force distribution (EBD)
Air conditioning
Quickclear heated windscreen
Ford radio/CD with six speakers and remote audio controls
Body colour rear spoiler
Electrically-operated and heated door mirrors
Thatcham category 1 Alarm
Electric Hydraulic Power-Assisted Steering (EHPAS)
Driver’s manual lumbar adjustment
One-touch tonneau cover
ISOFIX

Kuga
Titanium
from £22,495 in Aussie $$'s thats $39950

Get yourself behind the wheel of the Kuga Titanium and you’re surrounded by contemporary design and technical innovation. Key features additional to Zetec include:

Partial leather trim
Dual Electronic Automatic Temperature Control (DEATC)
Sony single CD DAB audio system
Cruise control
Rain-sensing wipers
Auto-dimming rear-view mirror
Automatic headlights
Leather gear knob
Rear seat folding centre armrest
Front carpet mats

They are very expensive in Europe. That could be the problem, to get them priced to around $30k-$35k ,here.
Old 15-09-2010, 11:22 PM   #35
mikoyagi
Starter Motor

Great.

Ford keeps the crappy Escape and waits till the Dualis, the new kia and hyundais are here, and selling well, and eventually we'll get the KUGA.

The talk about cost out of the UK is absolute BS - anybody checked the exchange rate lately? KUGA out of the UK is CHEAP!

Come on Ford - give little Australia a decent crack at the good stuff. Or else.
mikoyagi is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-09-2010, 12:15 AM   #36
kocho
The Futuriser

If it's going to be around $36+...that's going to be too much IMO. It'll have to be under 30k surely.

I'd love to have it here but it has to be the right price.

PS: That Kia is extremely ugly. Push me... 'cause I'm close to the edge.

Previous 2003 BA Ford Futura.

CKGD - Freelance Graphic Designer
kocho is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-09-2010, 01:15 AM   #37
CODSASR

Here is the 2011 explorer here is a link for more info
http://www.fordvehicles.com/suvs/explorer/2011/
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2011-ford-explorer-xl.jpg (69.8 KB, 41 views)
CODSASR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-09-2010, 09:12 AM   #38
Joe5619
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikoyagi
Great.

Ford keeps the crappy Escape and waits till the Dualis, the new kia and hyundais are here, and selling well, and eventually we'll get the KUGA.

The talk about cost out of the UK is absolute BS - anybody checked the exchange rate lately? KUGA out of the UK is CHEAP!

Come on Ford - give little Australia a decent crack at the good stuff. Or else.
Dont confuse a good AUD to USD with an good AUD to EUR. EUR is what Ford Aust would be paying Ford Euro & that exchange is not that good!!

As mentioned above, if they can't get it here at the right price, no point bring it here.. Personally I think well get the next gen one built in thia
Joe5619 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-09-2010, 05:46 PM   #39
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe5619
Dont confuse a good AUD to USD with an good AUD to EUR. EUR is what Ford Aust would be paying Ford Euro & that exchange is not that good!!

As mentioned above, if they can't get it here at the right price, no point bring it here.. Personally I think well get the next gen one built in thia
Its like 70 cents at the moment, thats not too bad.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-09-2010, 05:56 PM   #40
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

That and the top spec Outlander and X-Trail is just over 40 grand

So 36K isnt that bad

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-09-2010, 08:11 PM   #41
Joe5619
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Damo
Its like 70 cents at the moment, thats not too bad.
His a bit of food for thought!!

With an exchange rate that you have defined as "not too bad" the current Kuga sells for 27,000 EUR (http://www.ford.de/Pkw-Modelle) in Germany. You'd assume this is the best price ford can do (RRP) seeing as it is built in Germany.. Convert that to AUD using a rate that is "not too bad" (what do you do if it goes south??) & Ford Australia could have to sell it for 38.5K AUD & that is before you add Ford Australia's cost of freighting the thing out here & duty & you have a base model at over 40K!!!

So who would buy base Kuga for over 40K???

Or you can look at how much a Mondeo costs over there & what it is here & they might be able to do a base Kuga for 36-37K?? Still very expensive!!

When you do the maths, you start to understand why it is not here!!

Last edited by Joe5619; 16-09-2010 at 08:18 PM.
Old 16-09-2010, 08:17 PM   #42
phillyc
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always factual and beneficial. 

Quote:
That and the top spec Outlander and X-Trail is just over 40 grand

So 36K isnt that bad
Ford Germany website has the Kuga listed at 27,000 Euro.
http://www.ford.de/Pkw-Modelle/FordKuga
So at todays (high) rate of 72c then the Kuga is $37,500AUD

But a Mondeo starts at 23,800 Euro there and retails here for $31,990. On the currency conversion of 72c then that equals $33,055AUD.

This means that the Kuga would be $36k as you've suggested Road Warrior.

Boss349 built. Not yet run. Waiting on a shell.

Retrotech thread
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...1363569&page=6
phillyc is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-09-2010, 08:28 PM   #43
Joe5619
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyc
Ford Germany website has the Kuga listed at 27,000 Euro.
http://www.ford.de/Pkw-Modelle/FordKuga
So at todays (high) rate of 72c then the Kuga is $37,500AUD

But a Mondeo starts at 23,800 Euro there and retails here for $31,990. On the currency conversion of 72c then that equals $33,055AUD.

This means that the Kuga would be $36k as you've suggested Road Warrior.
also one thing to note.. Any large busines that wants to make money, does not costing things up at peck exchange rate that will only last for 1 or 2 months.. 12 month low is .6043!! Try pricing it now!!

you can garentee it will get back to that level at some stage over the next 1-2-3 years when Ford would still be selling it!!
Old 16-09-2010, 09:01 PM   #44
Martyvan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

just bear in mind, Ford Aus, dont pay retail costs. they pay the cost of manufacture

so if a product is listed as costing 20,000 euro, likely, that it would cost between 12 and 15 to build.

They WILL only EVER calculate things on a 4 year plan, i.e. lock in prices, they will work things out at the worst possible forecast exchange rate, so that fluctuations dont effectively kill a product.

Would be nice if they bring the Kuga... Ford Aus, have limited resources, and can only launch and market a certain amount of vehicles at a time.

Coyote coming, new mondeo, new thai built fiesta, new focus, new territory, and then FG2, T6 at some stage, they are likely to just not have the capacity to bring in a new model, regardless of how well it will be priced/specced.

It will come, probably in tandem with the next gen focus... its going to be awesome.... And i hope I can get one as my next 'small car'
Martyvan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-09-2010, 09:43 PM   #45
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martyvan
just bear in mind, Ford Aus, dont pay retail costs. they pay the cost of manufacture
Exactly. For the purposes of this argument I will re-quote my post from the 1st page.

Quote:
Time to revisit this subject.

Another month of dismal sales by Ford I think highlights some areas in its lineup that are letting the side down.

Judging by the figures, small and medium CUV and SUV vehicles are booming. Which makes sense. Not everyone who wants the benefits of an SUV such as the driving postition and cargo options wants a bohemoth.

Ford's entry in this area is the Escape, which should have been pensioned off ages ago. Simply going on looks alone, it is miles behind the Japanese. And let's not go anywhere near the features list.

Now, Ford has said that it is not cost-effective to import the Kuga at this time. The Kuga I feel would be a huge hit here and would fill a void in the lineup.

I am inclined to disagree with Ford's logic.

Take for example two of Kuga's would-be competitors: the Mitsubishi Outlander and the Nissan X-Trail. The high-series versions of those cars will set you back roughly 40 grand. More if it's the X-Trail Ti.

Cost is obviously not scaring buyers off, because they are selling well - it would seem therefore that people are willing to drop that sort of coin for these types of cars. There were 9,109 compact SUV's sold in Australia in July, and 6,968 medium SUV's. Ford, of course, doesnt get a piece of this action. Or very very little.

A quick check of a couple of Ford retail websites in Europe reveals the following pricing:

Germany (where it is made) from 27,000E

UK from 20,495STG

Taking the simplistic and inaccurate approach of an internet currency conversion returns $38,000 and $35,582 respectively. However we know this is horribly inaccurate because Ford does not pay full retail price for cars from one of its own factories...so the true unit cost to Ford would have to be substantially less. Given the content level of the Kuga's high end competitors, Ford may not have to worry too much about decontenting the car to make it competitive on price.

One other thing: Wiki is claiming that the Kuga has started assembly in Argentina. If this is the case, then this presents an opportunity to obtain this car from a low cost manufacturing base.
Note the last paragraph. If true, kinda pokes a hole in the whole 'too expensive' argument.

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Old 16-09-2010, 11:00 PM   #46
Joe5619
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I understand Ford Australia would not pay retail, but the same uplift factors (i.e. overheads) from cost price to RRP would need to be added for Australia just like it would for Germany with the extra cost for Australia of freight & duty... That is why I took Germany RRP & calculated our RRP based on exchange..

My cals are still pretty good if you ask me!! Kuga from germany can't be done here at the right price!!
Old 16-09-2010, 11:19 PM   #47
Martyvan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

still think you have a fatal flaw... on your calculations, all Ford EU manufactured product wouldnt be feasible..... we went through this same scenario when the XR5 was first released.... calculations at the time (Worse exchange rate mind you) worked it out that we were getting an absolute bargain.

Ford will bring the Kuga, and bring it at the right price..... whatever the market is dictating at the time.
Martyvan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-09-2010, 02:01 AM   #48
Venomous1
5.0 means business

Explorer and I'm interested Kuga or Escape .
Old 17-09-2010, 09:44 AM   #49
Joe5619
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martyvan
still think you have a fatal flaw... on your calculations, all Ford EU manufactured product wouldnt be feasible..... we went through this same scenario when the XR5 was first released.... calculations at the time (Worse exchange rate mind you) worked it out that we were getting an absolute bargain.

Ford will bring the Kuga, and bring it at the right price..... whatever the market is dictating at the time.
It is possible; I have taken a very simplistic approach to the costing of it
Old 17-09-2010, 07:27 PM   #50
kennyboy

Peoples its not just about price, but also about availability, can the factory make the cars in our spec for a reasonable price & deliver in a reasonable time? Or is the factory working overtime just to meet the euro market requirements?
Old 18-09-2010, 11:05 AM   #51
dannyhilton
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I believe Germans pay more for their cars than we do, just like people in the UK pay much more. When the Territory gets facelifted, hopefully they won't have to discount the hell out of it, so leave the Territory at $40k and as long as the Kuga can come in the early $30k region, it'll be fine. It will however need to be marketed to make any impact on some of the very well established names.

On another note, the Escape is selling plenty of units considering its age. That amazes me. Hopefully they'll discontinue the Escape soon, and as the Kuga is Focus based, move to producing the Kuga in Thailand. Fingers crossed. It looks to be a great car.
Old 18-09-2010, 11:25 AM   #52
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyboy
Peoples its not just about price, but also about availability, can the factory make the cars in our spec for a reasonable price & deliver in a reasonable time? Or is the factory working overtime just to meet the euro market requirements?
It would seem that the Kuga is now made in Argentina and is possibly going to be produced in the US at Ford's Louisville plant; I don't think supply is the real issue.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Kuga

Old 18-09-2010, 04:14 PM   #53
Joe5619
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
It would seem that the Kuga is now made in Argentina and is possibly going to be produced in the US at Ford's Louisville plant; I don't think supply is the real issue.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Kuga
That is all very well, but both the US & Argentina drive on the right hand side, mean they are LHD cars... Do you know if any of these plants built LHD cars?? If they dont, they are useless for us!!
Old 18-09-2010, 05:50 PM   #54
macarthurford
Starter Motor

Ford have said that Kuga will definitely not come to Aust.....but .....with Fords One Ford global plan there may be some other exciting things??
macarthurford is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-09-2010, 06:42 PM   #55
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe5619
That is all very well, but both the US & Argentina drive on the right hand side, mean they are LHD cars... Do you know if any of these plants built LHD cars?? If they dont, they are useless for us!!
It doesn't matter whether the plant builds LHD or not, it depends on the car being made and the platform it is made on, in this case, the Kuga is available in both LHD and RHD because its parent platform is; building the market-specific steering configuration is a matter of sequencing the correct parts to the production line and little else.

Old 18-09-2010, 07:04 PM   #56
Joe5619
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
It doesn't matter whether the plant builds LHD or not, it depends on the car being made and the platform it is made on, in this case, the Kuga is available in both LHD and RHD because its parent platform is; building the market-specific steering configuration is a matter of sequencing the correct parts to the production line and little else.
O please.... These plants either do or dont build RHD!! To say that does not matter is just plan silly!! If they dont, they are not going to start just to keep Australia happy with 1000 units per month!! We need to be real about this.. The world is not revoling around Australia

Last edited by Joe5619; 18-09-2010 at 07:13 PM.
Old 18-09-2010, 07:21 PM   #57
dannyhilton
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

And I again say Thailand. They'll build the MK3 Focus there for us, and the Kuga shares the Focus platform. The Escape will need replacing sooner or later, so it seems logical to produce it there. And if they do produce it, why not bring Kuga to Australia.

When have Ford ruled the Kuga out? Although they have not committed to it, I'm not aware of them saying no go?
Old 18-09-2010, 10:35 PM   #58
Bossxr8
Peter Car

They have continually said they are looking at it but have not committed to it. Neither have they rejected it.

It will make it here eventually.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-09-2010, 09:41 PM   #59
StoneCapone
Starter Motor

Just noticed that no-one had put a link to the Kuga in here, well at least not one that shows a video of it in action or anything... http://www.ford.co.uk/Cars/Kuga
StoneCapone is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-09-2010, 02:42 PM   #60
MOND30
If You Seek AU

I'm more interested in the T6-based wagon that's rumoured to be on the way...
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5x..._OYiDekVUlmEhg
MOND30 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post