Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 07-04-2006, 12:52 PM   #31
Teki04
Clio 182 CUP!

Well - I drive with the Fogs on; They aren't that bright. Trust me, Xenons are much brighter and still legal. So, get over it

'In fact, so good is the Clio 182 with the Cup chassis set-up that I feel moved to make a bold statement - I think it's the best hot hatch ever built.' (EVO Jan 04)
Old 07-04-2006, 12:54 PM   #32
LTDHO
The one and only

How many times does a new thread have to start on this old topic?

Each to their own. I hate them and truelt believe they do more harm then good, but people who use them can justify them.

I say "Whatever".
Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe
Old 07-04-2006, 12:55 PM   #33
HOON69
Banned

bwahahahaha ford guys dont do it hey

last time i looked the minority in south east qld in their newish type fords i have seen plenty with them on

different strokes for different blokes

thats all there is to it.
Old 07-04-2006, 01:22 PM   #34
desGT

I do NOT use them in city. They are wired in to automatically come on with high beam (and I also have manual switch if required, in fog!). I find them distracting on other cars as it is something "odd" in amongst all the others (ie: they distract), and in a lot of cases, they are badly aimed (or too bright). In lit up city/suburbs, do not see the point at all.
Old 07-04-2006, 01:22 PM   #35
AC/DC
" Let there be Rock "

Sorry, , I didnt realize there was an ongoing thread previously.

Reasoning, , In QLD, I know people who have been booked for driving with "Driving lights in a built up area"

The END

AC/DC
Old 07-04-2006, 01:45 PM   #36
HOON69
Banned

i had a set on a switch and even on a foggy winter night where visibilty was low i used em in seqld only to have the pol pol tell me to turn them off and remove them or be fined

since then i havent bought or used a set
Old 07-04-2006, 02:03 PM   #37
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Location: Mod For: Pub, Bar, Sales Yard, Show 'N Shine, Photoshop, AU to BF, FG to FGX, Territory & Sports Bar
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Many years of valuable contributions to the forum, including some superb build threads. 

Mine are always on at night for better visibility, and i've passed plenty of other XR's & Commodores that have a similar setup and they're not hard to look at in the slightest. I quite often drive during the day with the driving lights on with the parkers, usually in low light or rain, or when travelling up the freeway as i do frequently.

Reason i started doing this is i used to drive a little dark grey car which people pulled out infront of several thousand times, it was road colour (not that it should matter), but the issue is a lot of people are clueless and don't bother looking. I installed driving lights on it, and things were a lot better from then on.

Yes, i drive with mine on. People who whinge and flash their lights at you, lifting their arms in protest obviously have nothing better to do with their lives. Get over it. If my high beams were on, fair enough, otherwise - move on.
Old 07-04-2006, 03:55 PM   #38
BA_Turbs
Allan Smithee

I have 'em. I hate them. For the "extra" light they throw out compared to the cost of replacing them when they get broken, I can't see their value at all.
Old 07-04-2006, 04:07 PM   #39
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

The Territory ones are great .... had one blow recently ... Winford Motors replaced the globe under warranty ... I nearly fell over in shock ... happy days
Old 07-04-2006, 04:15 PM   #40
Deadman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC/DC
Reasoning, , In QLD, I know people who have been booked for driving with "Driving lights in a built up area"
FYI - Driving with fog lights on in QLD (in any condition at any time you want) is not an offence. So long as the driving lights or fog lights are no brighter than 'low beam' headlights. If they were bright like 'high beam' headlights, then yes, that's an offence.
Old 07-04-2006, 04:24 PM   #41
stiddy
Banned

Got fog lights on the celica just above the front lip.. they are on all the time..

But then again the celica is so low(5cm off the ground at the front 5.5 at the rear) I can drive with my high beams on and it doesnt affect anyone, never once gotten a flash from drivers coming the other way.
Althought I have had a police officer tell me to turn them off but I had the highbeams on at the time and I said sorry my high beams are on, turned them off and flick the foggies off with them so they were fine about it lol. They were none the wiser.
Old 07-04-2006, 04:25 PM   #42
DJL351
XR & FPV Owner

I leave mine on....... H*ll the BF's are so useless I'd say the cops (and other drivers) don't even see them! _2:

D:
2005 BF GT (6sp manual - Build #183)
2015 SZ MkII Territory Titanium
2016.75 LZ Focus Sport

Quote:
probably the stupidist post on aff - congrats
Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
There was once a time when every young man in this country was familiar with firearms and many owned them privately along with a stock of ammo and some bush gear.

Now the best we can hope for is to unfriend them on facebook then SMS their commanders with !!!1!!!!!!11!1!! and then finally plank a tank.......
Old 07-04-2006, 04:50 PM   #43
rwoodhams
The Wood

I usually drive around during the day with my mains on park, and the foggy's on. Why is it such an issue to have them on?
Old 07-04-2006, 04:55 PM   #44
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Location: Mod For: Pub, Bar, Sales Yard, Show 'N Shine, Photoshop, AU to BF, FG to FGX, Territory & Sports Bar
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Many years of valuable contributions to the forum, including some superb build threads. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwoodhams
I usually drive around during the day with my mains on park, and the foggy's on. Why is it such an issue to have them on?
because people love to whinge. I'm sure we'll see this topic brought up at the next G7 meeting.
Old 07-04-2006, 05:05 PM   #45
Redrum
Force Fed Fords

Mine are on only when the lights are on, and this is only when the sensor turns them on, no biggie, don't dazzle and give the car more visibilty to other raod users.
Old 07-04-2006, 05:08 PM   #46
Keepleft
Mot Adv-NSW

Because they are designed for "hazardous weather conditions causing reduced visibility", they are not daytime running lamps, nor are they low-beam.

GOD FORBID?? If the AAA afilliates get their way in their ongoing campaign to MANDATE DRL's (Daytime Running Lamps) in Australia.

http://www.lightsout.org/

We'll have: -
FOGS ON
DRLS ON
CORNERING LAMPS - Wired on by 'tinkerers' at ignition start - Christ, I already get this now!!
And LOW-BEAMS too???!!

On approach to every winter, in every Australian motor forum this issue is raised, rightly so people and it shows here from previous discussion, that this will NEVER change. Aussies just don't get it.

AND yes, the move to a national prohibition in the Australian Road Rules is looking 'very' very very likely now according to a key source. RTA tell me that complaints by road users of folk using 'fog lights' is one of the most common made daily.

My view, as with not indicating and any other number of stupid offences folk do daily by the second etc, is that IF you want to do that - DO SO.

Those of you using front fog lights to aid your seeing distance at night should be aware these have an effective range 10 - 35 metres out effectively, up to 50 metres. At 100km/h and 28 metres per second you'll outdrive any presumed, and certainly often mistaken 'benefit'.

NSW is studying a one point demerit for the offence.

FOG TAIL LIGHTS:
In another post Ive raised the possibility of fighting a campaign over three years to completely BAN (prohibit) ADR 52 - rear fog lights - for all categories, considering our current 'optional' allowance to be utterly unworkable.

Even Hyundai have seen fit to no longer specifiy them on their basic car lineup. THAT of course speaks volumes for a key importer who obviously have taken the view that these are completely unnecessary. Views?
Old 07-04-2006, 05:16 PM   #47
vino3o2
owning V8=having no $$$

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keepleft
Because they are designed for "hazardous weather conditions causing reduced visibility", they are not daytime running lamps, nor are they low-beam.

GOD FORBID?? If the AAA afilliates get their way in their ongoing campaign to MANDATE DRL's (Daytime Running Lamps) in Australia.

http://www.lightsout.org/

We'll have: -
FOGS ON
DRLS ON
CORNERING LAMPS - Wired on by 'tinkerers' at ignition start - Christ, I already get this now!!
And LOW-BEAMS too???!!

On approach to every winter, in every Australian motor forum this issue is raised, rightly so people and it shows here from previous discussion, that this will NEVER change. Aussies just don't get it.

AND yes, the move to a national prohibition in the Australian Road Rules is looking 'very' very very likely now according to a key source. RTA tell me that complaints by road users of folk using 'fog lights' is one of the most common made daily.

My view, as with not indicating and any other number of stupid offences folk do daily by the second etc, is that IF you want to do that - DO SO.

Those of you using front fog lights to aid your seeing distance at night should be aware these have an effective range 10 - 35 metres out effectively, up to 50 metres. At 100km/h and 28 metres per second you'll outdrive any presumed, and certainly often mistaken 'benefit'.

NSW is studying a one point demerit for the offence.

FOG TAIL LIGHTS:
In another post Ive raised the possibility of fighting a campaign over three years to completely BAN (prohibit) ADR 52 - rear fog lights - for all categories, considering our current 'optional' allowance to be utterly unworkable.

Even Hyundai have sen fit to no longer specifiy them on their basic car lineup. THAT of course speaks volumes for a key importer who obviously have taken the view that these are completely unnecessary. Views?
OK.... :

The Reality: 13.1 @ 106mph.... The Goal: somehow get into the 12s!!! :sm_headba

www.qldsuperkart.org
Old 07-04-2006, 05:16 PM   #48
BA_Turbs
Allan Smithee

Quote:
Even Hyundai have sen fit to no longer specifiy them on their basic car lineup. THAT of course speaks volumes for a key importer who obviously have taken the view that these are completely unnecessary. Views?

Agree with you 300% on this one. Its an offence to have rear foglights on in Vicotira in "Non-Prescribed Conditions". Fine about $110, no demerit points.
Old 07-04-2006, 05:17 PM   #49
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

I've nearly run up the back of a car in fog ... and I was only doing 30km/h as well ... the fog was that thick it was scarey. As I mentioned before though normal taillights are useless in fog.

But the thing is ... people misuse them and use them in normal conditions though. Which makes it worse for everyone else.

If you have them and use them accordingly due to bad weather ... I have no issue with them.

I used to have 2 rear fog lights on my Proton ... and in the fog they were great ... not for me ... but for other people. At least I knew I wasn't going to get rear-ended. On a late-night cruise back over the Blue Mountains in the rain it gets pretty damn foggy up there ... and I led the cruise back due to the fact everyone could see where I was as I had my rear foglights on ... and could follow safely (mind you ... it was harder for me to see out front cos of the thick fog as I had no front fog lights at the time).
Old 07-04-2006, 05:19 PM   #50
Citric GT
Its yellow, NOT green!

The "fog" lights on BA/BF Falcons are NOT bright and they are designed not to direct light upwards (unlike Commodore's). I've never had a problem with them shining in my eyes because they are no brighter than the normal headlights. It would make more sense to ban the use of xenon lights like in BMWs. Those things are painful.
Old 07-04-2006, 05:20 PM   #51
aimzes
...fairly odd

Quote:
Does anyone else get the sh*ts with those morons who need to drive with these lights on.
cant say that it bothers me at all. they dont shine in my eyes so i dont care.
Old 07-04-2006, 05:22 PM   #52
Ultimate
Pimp Daddy Pimp Pimp

Location: Queensland Events Assistant Co-Ordinator. Fiery's Little Helper

Basically, it you are more easy to see. This means it should mean earily detection, which means less accidents. Dude why the hell start this topic again really....
---------------------------------------------------
AFF Merchandise

Excellent Purchases With: AFF Team, Rooster, Russ
Old 07-04-2006, 05:22 PM   #53
Keepleft
Mot Adv-NSW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citric XR6
The "fog" lights on BA/BF Falcons are NOT bright and they are designed not to direct light upwards (unlike Commodore's). I've never had a problem with them shining in my eyes because they are no brighter than the normal headlights. It would make more sense to ban the use of xenon lights like in BMWs. Those things are painful.
CITRIK - The front fog lights on your Ford, as with ALL previous versions/models, UNLIKE the Commodore SS VX-VY series, HAVE ALWAYS been UN/ECE AND ADR compliant.

They are an excellent light FOR THE INTENDED PURPOSE. Especially if you drive to the snow, the worse the visibility - the better they are, always.
ORDER FORD AUSTRALIA PART NO: AM6U7J19G329AA. This is a European-UN/AS3790B Spec safety-warning triangle used to give advanced warning to approaching traffic of a vehicle breakdown, or crash scene (to prevent secondary). Stow in the boot area. See your Ford dealer for this $35.95 safety item & when you buy a new Ford, please insist on it! See Page 83, part 4.4.1 http://www.transport.wa.gov.au/media...eSafePart4.pdf
Old 07-04-2006, 05:23 PM   #54
rwoodhams
The Wood

Well, when I had BA XR6, I didnt bother, as the thing was fine. But the Phoon is silver, and in fantastic melbouirne weather, (particularly this week) mains on park and foggy's on I think is fine. If they change the law, then I guess I'll have to get over it.
Old 07-04-2006, 05:28 PM   #55
Keepleft
Mot Adv-NSW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechan1k
I've nearly run up the back of a car in fog ... and I was only doing 30km/h as well ... the fog was that thick it was scarey. As I mentioned before though normal taillights are useless in fog.

RIGHT and you CAN see their benefit, BUT that RECOGNITION of real-life reality is OFFSET in efforts to implement by:-

But the thing is ... people misuse them and use them in normal conditions though. Which makes it worse for everyone else.
THE ABOVE.^^

If you have them and use them accordingly due to bad weather ... I have no issue with them.

Agreed - but sweet Jesus - because ONE BLOKE at Hyundai Australia decided that the US-like rear bumper (Getz) would offer more benefit - HE chose to delete them.

Speaks volumes, and is a reason why after many years of PRO advocating -will now change tack to force the issue, its either ban or mandate - on new vehicles.

I used to have 2 rear fog lights on my Proton ... and in the fog they were great ... not for me on the contrary - you benefit from being saved by some F'wit doing the speed lmit or more who then stands every chance otherwise, of running into your rear! ... but for other people. At least I knew I wasn't going to get rear-ended. On a late-night cruise back over the Blue Mountains in the rain it gets pretty damn foggy up there ... and I led the cruise back due to the fact everyone could see where I was as I had my rear foglights on ... and could follow safely (mind you ... it was harder for me to see out front cos of the thick fog as I had no front fog lights at the time).
The largest crash we've had in heavy fog was 86 cars back in 1988 on the F6.

Last edited by Keepleft; 07-04-2006 at 05:39 PM.
Old 07-04-2006, 05:38 PM   #56
Deadman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Views?
All up? I don't give a s**t about laws coming in and other garbage about this issue. If other people want to use them - go for it. I don't - but have never EVER had a problem with people who do. I don't need studies or anything else to tell me how they inconvinience me - THEY DON'T. If 80 year old drivers want another thing to complain about and are writing in to the RTA about this, good on em. If road users spent more time watching the road and the RTA focused on much more important things, the roads might get that little bit safer. Instead they're worries about 2 little lights that aren't that bright sitting underneath someone's headlights. Fascinating.

This isn't a dig at ya Keepleft, and I understand you're a good proactive road saftey member of the community - I just can't see how this causes anyone any inconvinience on the road. I drive 60,000km a year, about 20% of that at dust / night, and never ever once had fog lights distract me. I think the only ones who get ИИИИed off, are the drivers who don't have them.

Excuse the swearing and obvious frustration - just can't believe the RTA and others actually make such a big deal over this

Last edited by Deadman; 07-04-2006 at 06:00 PM.
Old 07-04-2006, 05:44 PM   #57
Keepleft
Mot Adv-NSW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadman
All up? I don't give a s**t about laws coming in

Tell that to the HWP sport.

and other garbage about this issue.
??

If other people want to use them - go for it.
JUST LIKE I said - your chances of comeing under notice are small, for most ANY offence, cept 'speed'.

I don't - but have never EVER had a problem with people who do. I don't need studies or anything else to tell me how they inconvinience me - THEY DON'T.

The world does not undertake studies for *you*, but for societal benefit.

If 80 year old drivers want another thing to complain about and are righting in to the RTA about this, good on em.
ALL ages sport - and yes I do appreciate your angle here.

If road users spent more time watching the road and the RTA focused on much more important things, the roads might get that little bit safer.
Safer? In Australia?? No government or public service agency will ever please more than 27% of the population fully. They try and do something 'progressive' they get mouthed off by ignorant fools.

This isn't a dig at ya Keepleft, and I understand you're a good proactive road saftey member of the community - I just can't see how this causes anyone any inconvinience on the road. I drive 60,000km a year, about 20% of that at dust / night, and never ever once had fog lights distract me. I think the only ones who get ИИИИed off, are the drivers who don't have them.

It's about using your vehicle equipment as design intended AND then as permitted at law. Behaviour if you like.

COMPLIANT and UN-ADJUSTED front fog lights are fine usually - PROBLEMS start when people just don't leave the dang things alone, go from say H3 55 watts up to H3 130watts, re-align and do all sorts of dopy things. Just not helpful.
Old 07-04-2006, 05:48 PM   #58
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Falcons and Commodores are NOT fitted with FOG lights, they are fitted with driving lights, there is a big difference. Fog lights are high intensity, and can be very distracting and should ONLY be used in thick European fog. Unfortunately a lot of imported cars have these fitted mostely to the rear, and the drivers think they are fancy lights which look nice

The lights on the fender of local cars are like low powered headlights which light up the road between the car and the closer range of the headlights - they dont point up at other drivers, so anyone complaining about these are just idiots. What next? you are being blinded by your own dashboard lights?
Old 07-04-2006, 05:52 PM   #59
Keepleft
Mot Adv-NSW

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevypower
Falcons and Commodores are NOT fitted with FOG lights,
WRONG, VERY VERY WRONG.

they are fitted with driving lights,
YES - THE INBOARD HEADLIGHT PORTIONS, NOT THE LAMPS BELOW THE BUMPER.

One exception - a particular Explorer AND Nissan Micra GTi.

there is a big difference. Fog lights are high intensity, and can be very distracting and should ONLY be used in thick European fog. Unfortunately a lot of imported cars have these fitted mostely to the rear, and the drivers think they are fancy lights which look nice

Do a courtesy and READ the EARLIER posts pal.

The lights on the fender of local cars are like low powered headlights which light up the road between the car and the closer range of the headlights - they dont point up at other drivers, so anyone complaining about these are just idiots.

WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG Like proof?????

What next? you are being blinded by your own dashboard lights?
Hopeless really....
ORDER FORD AUSTRALIA PART NO: AM6U7J19G329AA. This is a European-UN/AS3790B Spec safety-warning triangle used to give advanced warning to approaching traffic of a vehicle breakdown, or crash scene (to prevent secondary). Stow in the boot area. See your Ford dealer for this $35.95 safety item & when you buy a new Ford, please insist on it! See Page 83, part 4.4.1 http://www.transport.wa.gov.au/media...eSafePart4.pdf
Old 07-04-2006, 05:53 PM   #60
drftspec

I recon you should shut the ИИИИ up ac/******** i mean dc boy.......
who cares if us people drive with foggys on i do some days and i could care what you think honestly!!!!!!!
Closed Thread