Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 30-07-2011, 08:11 PM   #31
The Yeti
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: diesil to get fire going, whos done it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vibe_xr6
Might have just been this one fire, but i saw water try and put it out and the diesel sat on top of the water and spreaded everywhere
this is how oil / fuel fires work yes,

but there would be absolutly no need to use that amount of diesel to light a pile of wood, and realisticaly by the time you would need to put it put the fuel would have burnt off

although Ive done a training exercize once where we put out huge tanks of diesel with nothing but water (god it was fun, guess you had to be there)

I sugested the hose so any spots or spreading can be addressed quickly before they get a chance to take hold and casue problems

I post images with postimg.cc (so I don’t forget)
The Yeti is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-07-2011, 08:20 PM   #32
Pis-ton broke
Banned

i take my hat off to the RFS, its a tough job, the radiant heat that comes off my little fire is amazing, i couldn,t get within a couple of metres to it. our worst fires were in 2000 december and 7 houses got burnt down, we had the fire front coming though to our places, it is a real community, when many locals get to gether and organise a fire plan, as this is what happened in 2000. people had wet material around they faces, cause the smoke, wet heshan sacks, spot sprayers, large containers of water handy. the rfs were i the thick of it, trying to save houses so we were looking out for ourselfs. on the first night i was asked to evacuate, two times they came down my drive way and said so. i wouldn,t go. the secound night , many locals turned up for a unnighted stand. well the wind stopped at about 11pm and the fires burnt out and the rfs put them out too. In that weekend, there were many fires around Sydney, north richmond (my sisters place) Silverdale got hit bad. And Thirlmere forest, behind me burnt, out to name a few. I will never forget.

mick
Pis-ton broke is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-08-2011, 01:36 AM   #33
TonyBill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pis-ton broke
I,ve got to burn some heavy timbers, 350 x 350 x 500long. problerbly 4 bits of them, with a few other smaller timbers. they are in a big sand areana, so minimiamal risk of starting a fire else where, and everything is still moist after the rain. I am on acreage. I need the areana . Whos used disesel to aid in burning? I thought i could pour a litre over it and lite it. I think it will need a bit of heat in it to start it. But if it goes wosh-ca, i might not do it.

mick
deisel works fine, but if theyre only 500 long, load em in the ute and throw em elsewhere?
TonyBill is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-08-2011, 01:57 AM   #34
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Yeti
you say your on acres, so why not call up the local RFS / CFA what ever and get them to organsie the whole lot from permit to buring, put on a BBQ and a few drinks and perhaps a donation to the brigade and job done and safe
This ... we did it once ... the guys were great ... was like a training day for them as well.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-08-2011, 08:50 AM   #35
mcnews
Trev

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Trev has owned several boosted fords and has really contributed a lot of info on them. His posts in the bike section are also very helpful. I think he should be recognised as a technical contributor. 

Sump oil is awesome, takes some getting going but once going it works wonder. Sump oil in the big areas to make it get good base, then a few litres of diesel spread liberally around with a bit of paper or the like in one spot to help get the diesel ignited, then stand back and wait for the sump oil to get going.
Old 13-08-2011, 10:36 AM   #36
Pis-ton broke
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyBill
deisel works fine, but if theyre only 500 long, load em in the ute and throw em elsewhere?
the fire burnt the heavy timber. the local tip didn,t want them. am certainy wouldn,t throw them on the side of the road, as that is making a mess of this great country. (sorry if thats not what you were implying)
Pis-ton broke is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post