Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 18-08-2006, 05:32 PM   #31
Dazza XLT
Back in a Ford

Quote:
Originally Posted by gozza
I drove around on the Farm we had from a young age
I too learnt to drive well before I should have. Where I was, you needed to know how to drive incase something went wrong etc...
I was 14. Driving around the Property checking waters. My older brother was with me at the time.
Driving on dirt, you soon learn how to accelerate smoothly, especially in an old Suzuki Ute with narrow tyres! You also learn how a car behaves on changing surfaces.
Don't get me wrong, there is always room to improve, but this was a good start which helped me immensely.

Cheers
Old 18-08-2006, 06:21 PM   #32
Agent86
Not so low, not so slow.

as far ias i know, there have been some quiet law changes in vic regarding the instructors where learners are concenred.

it used to be the were only instructing and any faults were taken by the learner.
this lead to some shifty buggers ( not that I would know any ;) ) getting on the grog and then leaving the learner to drive while they were comfy above .05 .

there is now a level of responsibilty placed on the licenced driver( learners are only permitted, not licenced ). as to how much i have NFI.
Agent86 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-08-2006, 06:35 PM   #33
Psycho Chicken
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by AceofSpades
it used to be the were only instructing and any faults were taken by the learner.
this lead to some shifty buggers ( not that I would know any ;) ) getting on the grog and then leaving the learner to drive while they were comfy above .05 .
Supervising drivers had to be under the legal limit when I was on my L's 3 years ago.
Psycho Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-08-2006, 06:45 PM   #34
4.9 EF Futura
Official AFF conservative

AFAIK in SA the accompanying driver must be < 0.05% BAC. Leaner at 0% BAC obviously.

Instructing someone shouldnt be taken lightly - the habits you teach them (or that they develop) will stay with them. I had a younger friend ask me recently to teach her how to drive. Turned out she thought it would be a bit of a laugh, you know - "good old martin will be a soft touch, he'll just sit there" kinda thing.

Lol - not on my watch. "Dont sit there with the clutch in, put in in nuetral" "Didnt check your blind spot did you" "The limit is 60"

All those things I hated when i was learning
Old 18-08-2006, 06:54 PM   #35
rag top
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by shane3
and then kept on going to pick up the pizzas.
How were they???
rag top is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-08-2006, 09:36 PM   #36
TEaaron
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

That is pure stupidity.

Learners like that shouldn't be around traffic.

When I got my L's about 6 months ago my dad took me in the automatic station wagon around my suberb, Very quite hardly any cars around. then I had a few drives in mums manual holden barina lol, until I bought my own car what was about 3 weeks later. I get advanced driving courses from dad every time he takes me for a drive. Suppose the way I drive some times may be "hoon behavior " but it's better to learn to how to actually drive on you're L's with some one who knows what they're doing instead of killing your self trying to do what you never could with your perents when you get your P's.
TEaaron is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-08-2006, 10:55 PM   #37
WRP11
NF Fairlane ghia

The mother should cop that one, stupid stupid woman...
it sounds like the dog had more common sense than them, it was tryin to get the hell out of that car before it got killed, the way she swerved back to the left then over to the right again all the time, i'd be duckin and divin too... stupid stupid woman! :
WRP11 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-08-2006, 06:10 AM   #38
clontarf_x
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Luckily my girlfriend who I am teaching to drive can admittedly drive fairly well. She's a tad older than the girl in this example mind you (21) but still. If the girl can't drive in a straight line she sure as hell shouldn't of been on the road.

And I fully agree with what everyone has said about the mother. You sure as hell don't let your daughter CONTINUE TO DRIVE after she has been swerving all over the road. Plus an animal, unrestrained, in the car while your inexperienced child is driving.

"Now, Sarah, I am about to test you on how to react when 10 kilo worth of living flesh and hair is thrown at you whilst operating a motor vehicle"

Jeebus lol :S
clontarf_x is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-08-2006, 06:54 AM   #39
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmax
In WA, all animals must be restrained with an approved harness.
Same for NSW AFAIK.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-08-2006, 11:22 AM   #40
red_hotxr6
Banned

The dog should have had a seatbelt on. :
red_hotxr6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-08-2006, 02:14 PM   #41
Zetec20
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Firstly, the moither should have noticed the lane swerving, and corrected her, secondly if the dog was small enough to be sitting in her lap, it would be small enough to be restrained properly, thirdly i tihnk it comes down to women drivers passing on poor knowledge to younger female drivers (no offense) but her lack of awareness as to what her daughter was doing seems to have been the main problem
Zetec20 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-08-2006, 02:33 PM   #42
FLYXR6
Silvester

I agree with a few of you here, It is not really the drivers fault (except for not telling her mother she wasn't ready to be out on the open road) The mother needs to take full responsabilty here.

When I take my dogs anywhere they are both restrained in the back seat with their chest harnesses that strap into the seat belt. They don't go anywhere (there was a little training involved).

Learner drivers should not have any distractions in the car, and i pretty sure the they are not allowed to carry passangers other than the instructor. No music No friends No PETS. At the end of the day its common sense isn't it?

This is why i drive like every one else on the road is a ****wit. It has saved me manytimes!!!!

I like them sleek and unnoticable, That is untill the pedal is pushed.

www.myspace.com/flyxr6 Myspace URL
www.myspace.com/slvstr01 My cars Myspace URL
FLYXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-08-2006, 05:47 PM   #43
GCFordChic
I love AU XR8s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zetec20
thirdly i tihnk it comes down to women drivers passing on poor knowledge to younger female drivers (no offense) but her lack of awareness as to what her daughter was doing seems to have been the main problem
: I do believe you have overstepped the line!! I wont even bother responding to this unbelievable comment, but I think that I will just note my strong objection to this statement.

As for this incident in general...

Mother -no words describe how freakin stupid and irresponsible she is..
Daughter - does not know own capabilities, should learn from this experience and get lessons from a qualified driving instructor, preferably one who will teach her how to drive, not just how to get her license.
Dog - probably a better instructor than the mother.
Shane3- smart enough to realise you need to give learner drivers LOTS of room.

A learner driver (like every other driver) is going to think they are better than they actually are. It shouldnt be up to them to determine what sort of road/conditions they are ready for. I think that is the responsibility of the instructor. It is for reasons like this that I think there needs to be compulsory learner driver courses (teaching basics like you see in American movies, 'driver's ed', in a big open area, how to accelerate/brake/steer etc) before a Learner is allowed out on the road, i also really think that parents/friends etc shouldnt take the learner out the first few times, they should go with qualified instructors in vehicles fitted with dual controls.

FPV & XR Owners Club of Qld
Want more info on our club?
fpvxrqldinfo@gmail.com
or see our Club Section

My Garage:
AU II XR8 Sedan "Lil T"
Hyundai i30 SR
yeah baby!
GCFordChic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-08-2006, 05:50 PM   #44
Outbackjack
Central to all beach's

Just shows how bad driving is hereditary.......
Outbackjack is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-08-2006, 06:31 PM   #45
FLYXR6
Silvester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outbackjack
Just shows how bad driving is hereditary.......

as dumb as this sounds its actually quite true.

I like them sleek and unnoticable, That is untill the pedal is pushed.

www.myspace.com/flyxr6 Myspace URL
www.myspace.com/slvstr01 My cars Myspace URL
FLYXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-08-2006, 11:14 PM   #46
shane3
FPV GT 0915

With in 5 seconds of getting behind the Lerner I could see that she was not a confident driver, she was all ways moving away from oncoming traffic, even though there was 1/2 in one lane and 1/2 in the other lane, (2 lanes one way)
1. Yes, by Vic laws the dog has to be restrained in the rear seat when possible, with an approved harness.
2. Yes the mother can be charged as she was the "instructor"
3. Yes the mother was passing on bad driving skills/habits.
4. Yes the pizzas were great, Large Hawaiian with double mushrooms, capsicum and bacon added. YUM!!!!!!!!!
Bluprint BA GT 2004 Model - Mods: Tinted Windows, Premium Sound, BBS Mags, 245/35R19 fronts, 285/30R19 rears, BMC POD Filter, SS cold air induction, HM tri-y headers, Redback cat back system, Herrod power snorkle, moded Herrod helix spacer, 4" ram air induction, More to come..
shane3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-08-2006, 11:25 PM   #47
rag top
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by shane3
4. Yes the pizzas were great, Large Hawaiian with double mushrooms, capsicum and bacon added. YUM!!!!!!!!!
Think I'll try that combo next time! :
rag top is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-08-2006, 01:21 AM   #48
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Nearly had an accident then with a learner driver! They pulled out from a slip lane right it front of my WRX. I hit the brakes and was lucky enough to avoid an altercation. Lucky they didn't dent my baby, I haven't even had it for a week. Words wouldn't be able to express how ****ed off I of been!

On topic again. What type of person lets a dog run lose in the first place, let alont while supposebly instructing a learner driver? If you have to have your dog in the car (why in hell is it neccessary is beyond me) then restrain the damn thing!
MITCHAY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-08-2006, 01:29 AM   #49
Focus_RS
Starter Motor

isn't there are saying that most dogs are reflective of there owners.. in this case - dumb?
Focus_RS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-08-2006, 01:52 AM   #50
70caprigt3k
Nitrous Junkie

Was the learner chick hot?
Old 20-08-2006, 03:53 AM   #51
NZ
~~~

A girl that does part time work for me is on her L's (16) and learne to drive at a young age like 90% of rural kids do. Her family runs a rubbish collection service. I don't know to beleive her but her father lets her drive the dumpster on back roads apparently. I'm not sure wether to beleive it or not but it wouldn't suprise me if she was. Soo risky in so many ways.

"the man that crashs AFF"
NZ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post