Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 26-02-2009, 11:48 AM   #31
Stattic
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by SB076
I agree, the government both past and present have done nothing but increase the burden on the manufacturing industry and still expects it to compete with overseas manufacturers.
and we just lost Bonds and King Gee.. another 1800 jobs down the toilet
Stattic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-02-2009, 12:07 PM   #32
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Hardware
I don't agree.
If the business can't make a profit after ALL expenses (inc tax and wages) then there's no point to the business.
The story is very emotional and not very factual. This is why 99% of people are employees, they're not mad enough to think being an employer is a good thing.

I don't see that tax on businesses has changed very significantly at all over the past 5, 10 or even 20 years.

If your business can only survive the good times and not the bad, then it's not a viable business and the govt should not be blamed.
Another 23 year old expert.

You don't see how tax and conditions have changed in the past 5, 10 or 20 years while you were at school?
So you don't remember what it was like when there was not tax on labour way back in 1999 or Sales tax was paid ONCE not GST everytime a transaction happens (which is why your second hand car is 10% dearer than it should be.
Or when superannuation was covered by the pension and did not cost the employer 9% extra).
Or when a good employee could be given a nice work car to drive as a reward and not cost a fortune in fringe benefit tax.

Of course not, you were at school, living off your parents and being provided with education paid for by employers' tax.

I dare you to PM me (or post it on here) your employer's name and phone number so I can show him what an intelligent, aware, caring employee you are......
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-02-2009, 12:09 PM   #33
Black F6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Good read but if he is paying $288,000 a qtr in GST, his turnover is at least $3,168,000 a qtr, $12,672,000 a year and cant employ 14 peoples wages
10.25@138mph FG XR6T (new toy) (Nizpro)
Black F6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-02-2009, 12:36 PM   #34
GT0132
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Hardware
I don't see that tax on businesses has changed very significantly at all over the past 5, 10 or even 20 years.
It's not so much that the amount of overall tax take from businesses has changed significantly over the past 20 years, it's more to do with the onerous compliance requirements of the various taxes applied that is causing a major headache for them. What with income tax, FBT, GST, SGC, PAYG, CGT, Payroll tax, Stamp Duty and Customs excise...(I'm sure there are others I've missed) so where does it all end?

GST, introduced on 1 July 1999 (or was it 2000 ??)brought with it major compliance and accounting issues for businesses ....For some all it meant was registering for GST, applying for an ABN and chaging invoice fromatting, while for others it meant all of the above plus an overhaul of their accounting systems and training staff so that they can show the ATO they are complying. I can't complain though as all this keeps me in a job.

The point of the article was to highlight that, in the writers opinion, the stimulus package would have been better spent encouraging small business to invest rather than hand it over to welfare beneficiaries if heading off unemployment was the governments primary objective. I don't think its purpose was to complain about the high administration costs of running a business, however those don't help... In any event it is fictitous - I've had 3 copies sent to my email this morning, so it's just another one of those "Joke" type emails doing the rounds...Don't knock yourself out over it !
2005 BA MK2 FPV GT - 6 SPEED MANUAL , SILHOUETTE, SWISSVAX, SUNROOF, BILSTEIN AND LOVELLS, FACTORY GENUINE 19'S, X-FORCE STAINLESS QUAD CATBACK, ADVANCE HEADERS, 200 CPSI CATS, BLUEPOWER CAI, HERROD BREATHER KIT, 4:11 DIFF RATIO, MAL WOOD OPT 3+ CLUTCH, BILLET SHIFTER, MELLINGS 10227, NOW WITH REVERSE CAMERA/SENSORS, ALPINE SPEAKERS & SUB - CUSTOM TUNED TO 275 RWKW

NOW WITH A NEW ADDITION - 2017 MUSTANG V8 GT FASTBACK - , 6 SPEED AUTO IN PLATINUM WHITE,

Last edited by GT0132; 26-02-2009 at 12:48 PM.
GT0132 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-02-2009, 12:39 PM   #35
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFXRScott
Good read but if he is paying $288,000 a qtr in GST, his turnover is at least $3,168,000 a qtr, $12,672,000 a year and cant employ 14 peoples wages
Sounds like his expenses may be up around the $12m mark too, so yes, it is cutting it fine. Turnover does not take into account cost of business (it's just gross sales).

I thought it was a very good read, and I absolutely agree that the $900 being given to government benefit recipients (generalised as single mothers etc) is a complete waste (unless the single mothers spend it on condoms, lol). Some families who are actually working, but living close to the poverty line, actually could use the extra money; unfortunately, they will most likely buy things they couldn't otherwise afford (such as PLasms TVs, or a blue ray DVD player, or both). So does the money help Australia deep down? Probably not; to me, it's just a band aid for the retail sector that will last all of 2 days!

For the record, I am married and have 3 kids and I and the kids won't get a cent in the handout (I think the missus gets her $900 though - it's already been spent on replacing the F&P washing machine that died last week after 15 years good service); but then apparently we get paid enough not to need it (I wish). Had my missus not gone back to work part time, and we relied on the Tax A and B payments etc that we would otherwise get, we would have got this "stimulus" and probably been better off than we are now, but we believe in generating our own taxes...er income, not sponging off the govt..
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT

Last edited by JC; 26-02-2009 at 12:45 PM.
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-02-2009, 12:47 PM   #36
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stattic
and we just lost Bonds and King Gee.. another 1800 jobs down the toilet
One thing you do need to remember the government has been given them money to keep going and offered them 15 million dollars to keep operations going here but they rejected it.
Old 26-02-2009, 12:51 PM   #37
GT0132
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

That $288k would be a combination of GST as well as PAYG (tax instalment on company profits) , payroll tax, FBT...not just GST
2005 BA MK2 FPV GT - 6 SPEED MANUAL , SILHOUETTE, SWISSVAX, SUNROOF, BILSTEIN AND LOVELLS, FACTORY GENUINE 19'S, X-FORCE STAINLESS QUAD CATBACK, ADVANCE HEADERS, 200 CPSI CATS, BLUEPOWER CAI, HERROD BREATHER KIT, 4:11 DIFF RATIO, MAL WOOD OPT 3+ CLUTCH, BILLET SHIFTER, MELLINGS 10227, NOW WITH REVERSE CAMERA/SENSORS, ALPINE SPEAKERS & SUB - CUSTOM TUNED TO 275 RWKW

NOW WITH A NEW ADDITION - 2017 MUSTANG V8 GT FASTBACK - , 6 SPEED AUTO IN PLATINUM WHITE,
Old 26-02-2009, 12:57 PM   #38
Black F6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The point of the article was to highlight that, in the writers opinion, the stimulus package would have been better spent encouraging small business to invest rather than hand it over to welfare beneficiaries if heading off unemployment was the governments primary objective.

But it did, investment allowance, small business (under $2m turnover) purchase assets over $1,000 and get an additional 30% deduction, plus the depreciation on that asset, big business (over $2m turnover) assets costing more than $10,000 get additional 30% deduction, but i agree they should be building more infrastructure, then giving money to people to waste, as it all ends up in China anyway :
Old 26-02-2009, 01:00 PM   #39
Black F6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT0132
That $288k would be a combination of GST as well as PAYG (tax instalment on company profits) , payroll tax, FBT...not just GST

Yeah but with that amount payable, even taking into account instalments, still should be very profitable, if being run efficiently, mind you
Old 26-02-2009, 01:10 PM   #40
timmo

I've managed and run businesses since I left school. Never went to uni, but the majority of my mates did. It's interesting to speak to them about this sort of thing, as they feel as though they are owed a job, and they are doing their employer a favour by working there.
A lot was said in the build up to the election about Worker's Rights, but where are the businesses rights? The same people who whinge about losing their job, wouldn't think twice about jumping ship to a rival company if they were offered a better deal. This infuriates me.
My dad has always said "If you vote Liberal, you vote for the country. If you vote labor, you vote for yourself". I think this is really starting to show now, and the more I see K Rudd on TV spruiking a new incentive, I think where is the money coming from? And how are we going to pay it back.
On a side note, if the original stimulus package was designed "for you to go out and spend" why was it not given to the people who have the ability to spend it as recklessly as the Government intended, the high income earner? It's playing politics, and buying votes at a time when politics shouldn't have come into it...
timmo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-02-2009, 01:16 PM   #41
SB076
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by vztrt
One thing you do need to remember the government has been given them money to keep going and offered them 15 million dollars to keep operations going here but they rejected it.
I dont think money is actually the answer - thats just a short term thing. They need to address the differences in costs between running businesses in Australia and elsewhere around the world (not talking about labour costs)

with Sunroof and tinted windows
with out all the go fast bits I actually need :
SB076 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-02-2009, 01:24 PM   #42
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Reading all these posts written by employees about running business is like reading posts on here about V8SC drivers.

You have never done it, probably can't actually do it and have no idea what you are talking about.

You DO, however, have a keyboard........action, instant, CONTACT...........
Old 26-02-2009, 01:26 PM   #43
GT0132
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
But it did, investment allowance, small business (under $2m turnover) purchase assets over $1,000 and get an additional 30% deduction, plus the depreciation on that asset, big business (over $2m turnover) assets costing more than $10,000 get additional 30% deduction, but i agree they should be building more infrastructure, then giving money to people to waste, as it all ends up in China anyway :
You're right Scott, I take it then that the business owner portrayed in this article must be in a service related organistion that doesn't require huge investment in plant and machinery as part of its operation given that he says he got zilch, zero etc.

Old 26-02-2009, 01:27 PM   #44
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SB076
I dont think money is actually the answer - thats just a short term thing. They need to address the differences in costs between running businesses in Australia and elsewhere around the world (not talking about labour costs)
My reply was more isolated to the Pac Brands issue.

I agree with you that the costs of running a business does need to be made more competitive with the rest of the world.
Old 26-02-2009, 01:50 PM   #45
Charliewool
Bolt Nerd
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
Reading all these posts written by employees about running business is like reading posts on here about V8SC drivers.

You have never done it, probably can't actually do it and have no idea what you are talking about.

AMEN!......... THANKYOU!!!!
2 wheels.. 2015 103ci HD Wideglide.. SOLD
SOLD THE LOT, Voted with our feet and relocated to COSTA RICA for some Pura Vida!
(Ex Blood Orange #023 FPV Pursuit owner : )
Charliewool is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-02-2009, 01:53 PM   #46
Charliewool
Bolt Nerd
Donating Member3

Quote:

I agree with you that the costs of running a business does need to be made more competitive with the rest of the world.
And just HOW shall we achieve THAT?... Pay our workers a bowl of rice for their new 16hr working days?
2 wheels.. 2015 103ci HD Wideglide.. SOLD
SOLD THE LOT, Voted with our feet and relocated to COSTA RICA for some Pura Vida!
(Ex Blood Orange #023 FPV Pursuit owner : )
Charliewool is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-02-2009, 01:55 PM   #47
GT0132
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist

Who are you referring to exactly?

Old 26-02-2009, 01:59 PM   #48
BLOWNF6UTE
Banned

Quote:
The point of the article was to highlight that, in the writers opinion, the stimulus package would have been better spent encouraging small business to invest rather than hand it over to welfare beneficiaries if heading off unemployment was the governments primary objective.

It's an incentive thats for sure, iv'e gone out and purchased some new equipment with the deductions as opposed to renting equipment & hiring subbies. This has just created 2 full time positions for me alone, it's this sort of thinking and planning that will create jobs as opposed to handing cash to everyone.
BLOWNF6UTE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-02-2009, 02:00 PM   #49
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliewool
And just HOW shall we achieve THAT?... Pay our workers a bowl of rice for their new 16hr working days?
How about looking at the costs behind what you pay a worker.
Funny when someone says make it more competitive automatically someone thinks to cut wages.
Old 26-02-2009, 02:07 PM   #50
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT0132
Who are you referring to exactly?
The "expert" posts on here that are written by people who have never run a business or worked in the field of accounting/administration of any business.
Old 26-02-2009, 02:08 PM   #51
BLOWNF6UTE
Banned

Quote:

I think a large percentage of this issue has come about by the main stream stores dictating prices to their suppliers. If bonds had 5,000,000 pairs of socks and wanted $10 a pair woolies will tell them they wont pay more than $6 for them, when the $ was at .90c they would have been buying their raw materials with a healthy $ but now it's slid back down the materials are costing more cutting there profits to nothing and woolies wont budge. Labour & production costs have remained the same throughout & now the only way to survive is to cut those costs.

This is in all industries where companys such as woolies get in and crate a monopoly, i see it every day and you either play by their rules or not at all. These guys shouldnt have taken the work on or decided to supply to these larger stores if it means they will require to move production off shore to increase sales/turnover. Seccond to that the govenment needs to step in and regulate how much pressure these guys can put on the smaller suppliers & manufacturers.
BLOWNF6UTE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-02-2009, 02:09 PM   #52
Bearman
Moderator Ford Coupe Club

I believe compliance costs are a big impost on business. It's ludicrous!! I work for a Federal Govt department and each department has it's own compliance requirements. It's a huge headache for business and it's only getting worse. Couple this with subtle cost shifting onto private enterprise makes running a business quite unattractive.

The solution rests with Government but there is neither the finances or political will to address this.

Someone said we're the "worlds biggest warehouse". Spot on!!

http://www.fordcoupeclub.org

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there" George Harrison 2001.
Bearman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-02-2009, 02:20 PM   #53
XWGT