Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 09-05-2011, 11:13 PM   #31
Giant Cranium
PURSUIT 250
Donating Member2

Default Re: car dealers ..

so to you they have to buy a car of you for over wholesale price then sell it for a little above and make no money.

i can tell you when i quote jobs (carpenter) i get trade price on hardware and materials then add my 10% then quote it to make money and allow for down time.

its the same with the cars.

at 5500 i think it would not leave them much room for profit when i can get a xr8 for 3 grand more
Giant Cranium is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-05-2011, 11:46 PM   #32
gun-fpv
Rather roar than whistle

Don't know who you are referring to but we have moved on and accepted the loss
gun-fpv is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-05-2011, 12:30 AM   #33
84xespac
Wearing an armadillo hat

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain awesome
they have to clean it, advertise it, supply warranty, dealership cost to the price and the time during selling in wages. plus repair anything thats wrong with it

it all adds up and low and behold at the end they need to make money.
These are all the things people seem to forget. You also have to take into account anything it may need for RWC, paint touch ups, servicing if it is due (some car yards do this regardless). God I am so sick of reading threads like this. It is always the dealers trying to rip people off because they offer a crap price in the eye of the owner. Guess what guys they are there to make money, that is why they go to work.
84xespac is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-05-2011, 01:20 PM   #34
The Yeti
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by xr8-Brute
i recently went with my little cousin who has an au xr6 leather interior the full book..even with 19" wheels and lots of extras..went to several dealers and asked them what he will give us for it..i got pathetic offers like 3,000..another said 2,500..and the highest i got was 5,500 !! so we have now put it private ..what an outrage and a scam!! so they can put a 9 grand figure on it and make a healthy profit !! and they are a pack of smart-alecs aswell!!
What am I missing?

If the car has under 150,000km on the clock and is under 10years old they have to place a 3 month 5000km warranty on the vehicle, this will cost him money if the person he sells it to makes a claim, the address you went to to trade the car costs him money, the vehicel will need to be checked over for roadworthyness and even in the unlikly event nothing needs to be done this will still cost him money, then he needs to clean and present the vehicel for sale, do any body and trim repairs he deems nesisery, advertise, pay his power and phone bill and his and his sales staffs wages, pay interest on his borrowings (most dealers operate on a floor plan type finance) all this before he has sold the car, then what if the car sits on the lot, he cant get a sale for it for a little while more money will be spent on it this all costs the guy money.

you will always get more money for it selling it privatly than from whole saleing it to a dealer, but thats becasue the sale is quick, if you have the luxury of takign this time and detailing it and prepairing it for sale, advertising it and waiting arround for some one to come and inspect it then negotiate over the price then do it theres absolutly nothing stoping you.

I'm not a dealer, I'm not a car sales person, I just have an understanding of how a busienss works

I post images with postimg.cc (so I don’t forget)
The Yeti is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-05-2011, 02:49 PM   #35
gun-fpv
Rather roar than whistle

HOW MUCH WOULD IT COST TO PUT A 5.6L OR 5.4l BOSS ENGINE WITH MANUAL TRANSMISSION IN AN AU XR6?? has anyone done it and did it work to your advantage. he has decided he wants to put a v8 in it
Old 10-05-2011, 07:58 PM   #36
Giant Cranium
PURSUIT 250
Donating Member2

it would be cheaper to sell it at 5500 and get a ba/bf for mid teens to mid 20's
Giant Cranium is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-05-2011, 09:21 PM   #37
xisled
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Here is a boss 260 motor from an XR8. Bidding starts at $4500
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/FORD-FALCON-B...item43a6d27411
xisled is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-05-2011, 10:27 PM   #38
gun-fpv
Rather roar than whistle

Woahh!! Lol ok we will stick to selling it cheaper
Old 11-05-2011, 05:11 AM   #39
wrongwaynorris
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I think it's a bloody miracle anyone offered $5,500.00 , must be a lot of OA in whatever they were proposing to sell him . To put this into perspctive we just bought at auction a 2003 BA Fairmont Ghia , 3 valve but breathed on to the point that no standard boss 260 I have ever driven would even get close , full exhaust including headers , free flow cats and 3 inch system , cross drilled brake discs , sunroof , all the usual Fairmont Ghia stuff , leather dual climate control premium sound ICC 6 stacker , electric seats and pedals etc etc etc and HD towbar in immaculate condition and only 98,000 k's for $5,800.00

Last edited by wrongwaynorris; 11-05-2011 at 05:30 AM.
wrongwaynorris is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-05-2011, 10:54 AM   #40
Fev
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It's an AU Falcon. It's not worth much at all and thinking a straight 6 AU is going to be worth 9K trade in is ridiculous. That $5,500 offer is pretty good depending on the kms and condition of the car.
Car dealerships aren't a charity, we don't want to give you more then what the car is worth and we don't want to sell them for less than what we buy them for. Believe it or not we don't buy Brand new cars for $20k less than sticker price. Used cars are different but thats the way we have to make money now and its up to you, the buyer to decide whether you want to take the trade in price or not.

When trade ins come with a warranty you need to have enough profit from the car to cover any possible claims that might come up, as well as absorbing some of the damage from paying over market price for the trade in, then commissions etc etc... There is a lot more to buying/selling cars then literally that - just buying and selling. You have regos, detailing, yard hands, salesmen, managers, financiers, mechanics, parts, wheel repairers, dent removalists etc etc etc... unless you're a wholesaler on Parra Road..

Last edited by Fev; 11-05-2011 at 11:00 AM.
Fev is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-05-2011, 12:12 PM   #41
RepSpec
Formerly XG-Panelvanman

^^^ what he said

profit is a nasty word for people trying to buy things, but the dealers arent there to sell you something at their cost price. they are there to make money, simple.
sell it privately and deal with non stop tyre kickers, people who dont call back, having to get it roadworthied, dealing with transfers ect.

BA MK2 Wagon, dedicated LPG, white.

modifications:
cargo barriers, tow bar

Last edited by RepSpec; 11-05-2011 at 12:14 PM. Reason: should have read the above post lol
RepSpec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-05-2011, 01:24 PM   #42
rag top
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Return it to stock and sell off the modified bits to recoup some of the costs. The 19" rims for starters. Will get more by selling the modified bits separately. Modified cars have a more limited market than a stock vehicle.
rag top is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-05-2011, 03:20 PM   #43
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I went to a car yard a month ago. I was looking at 2 cars. One was 30k and the other was 40k.

He said he will give me 20K for my car if I bought the 30k one of him.
Or he will give me 25k if I buy the 40k one of him.

Obviously he will was trying to sort it out for himself to get the best profit in either situation.
Ben73 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-05-2011, 05:26 PM   #44
Powdered Toast Man
Professional Mouse Jockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrongwaynorris
I think it's a bloody miracle anyone offered $5,500.00 , must be a lot of OA in whatever they were proposing to sell him . To put this into perspctive we just bought at auction a 2003 BA Fairmont Ghia , 3 valve but breathed on to the point that no standard boss 260 I have ever driven would even get close , full exhaust including headers , free flow cats and 3 inch system , cross drilled brake discs , sunroof , all the usual Fairmont Ghia stuff , leather dual climate control premium sound ICC 6 stacker , electric seats and pedals etc etc etc and HD towbar in immaculate condition and only 98,000 k's for $5,800.00
Ohh man dont tell me that! I was hoping my 3V XT was still sellable at 11 - 12 ish G! Lucky I'm not selling it I guess. It will be worth scrap value by the time I sell in a couple of years.

Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana. Groucho Marx
Powdered Toast Man is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-05-2011, 05:51 PM   #45
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powdered Toast Man
Ohh man dont tell me that! I was hoping my 3V XT was still sellable at 11 - 12 ish G!
Don't worry about it, he probably hasn't found found the banana skins in the diff to keep it quiet, the thick engine oil to quieten down the piston slap and the temporary cracked head sealer is still holding
Old 11-05-2011, 05:57 PM   #46
xisled
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

1 year ago I traded in my 2003 BA XT auto with 120000ks and 16 inch rims and a spoiler. I got $3500 for it.
xisled is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-05-2011, 06:17 PM   #47
The G6ET Spot
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

June 2009 I traded in my 2005 BA MK2 XR8 ute with 57,000k's on the G6ET.

The ute had a lot of extras and in the salesmans own words in immaculate condition. I got $26,000 trade in on it, I probably could have sold it privately and got a little more. But how long would it have taken?

The deal had to be done at a certain time so I took it. The car was put on the lot before I even left the dealership in the new car.

When I checked on carsales a week later it was listed at $34990. But that is the way buying and selling cars goes.

If the OP young bloke is saving up to get a new car, I myself would be advertising the XR6 privately for around $6-7000 and see where it goes. He may have to drop the price, but he won't know unless he tries.

People told me years ago that I was mad for advertising a XF with V8 conversion for $8000. But the right buyer at the right time turned up and drove it away for $7750 happy as the proverbial pig in ****
The G6ET Spot is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-05-2011, 08:43 AM   #48
wrongwaynorris
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben73
I went to a car yard a month ago. I was looking at 2 cars. One was 30k and the other was 40k.

He said he will give me 20K for my car if I bought the 30k one of him.
Or he will give me 25k if I buy the 40k one of him.

Obviously he will was trying to sort it out for himself to get the best profit in either situation.
No he just has more OA ( Over Allowance ) in the more expensive car . And ofcourse he is going to try and maximise his profit in either situation , remember profit is NOT a dirty word . I am 100% certain in your job you ( and every other person ) do not give away your products or services .
wrongwaynorris is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-05-2011, 11:08 AM   #49
GT
Mrs Russellw
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: All your effort in keeping me sane and on-track. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For her honest, direct and helpful advice to members. The content of her posts help many members on the forum and most times, turn a very negative thread into a postive one. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain awesome
they have to clean it, advertise it, supply warranty, dealership cost to the price and the time during selling in wages. plus repair anything thats wrong with it it all adds up and low and behold at the end they need to make money.
Great post and people forget this sort of detail. The car industry is doing it really tough and they are just people like all of us, trying to keep heads above water. There are plenty of other businesses that have markups on retail products, that the used auto industry just dream about.

GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAMS290
Fact is Gaela's GTP IS the quickest NA Boss 290 Sedan now (by a long shot)
The precedent of stripping weight and using full slicks was set years ago now.

So if you want to beat em, ya gotta join em, and being manual makes the time even more credible.
GT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-05-2011, 11:14 AM   #50
GT
Mrs Russellw
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: All your effort in keeping me sane and on-track. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For her honest, direct and helpful advice to members. The content of her posts help many members on the forum and most times, turn a very negative thread into a postive one. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powdered Toast Man
Ohh man dont tell me that! I was hoping my 3V XT was still sellable at 11 - 12 ish G! Lucky I'm not selling it I guess. It will be worth scrap value by the time I sell in a couple of years.
Not far from the truth! You can buy damaged GTs now from Auctions and sell them in parts for a heap more than you pay for the write off. If we had somewhere to keep one we might have looked at it as future spares for my car.

The OP mentioned figures that were sadly realistic - I was offered a very nice repairable write-off (GT) for a tickle over $10K.

GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAMS290
Fact is Gaela's GTP IS the quickest NA Boss 290 Sedan now (by a long shot)
The precedent of stripping weight and using full slicks was set years ago now.

So if you want to beat em, ya gotta join em, and being manual makes the time even more credible.
GT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post