Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 13-10-2012, 09:44 AM   #31
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 
Default Re: Blood taken, Do you handle it ok?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagleheart
The irony couldnt be anymore amazing.

Discovering this thread on the day I give my first blood test in my entire life.

I cried like a little girl (even before it happened). Hyperventilating, shaking, screaming, anyone wouldve thought I was getting my hands chopped off.

I have the worst phobia of needles. I dont care if my life depended on it, im NEVER doing that again.

I dont care about admitting all this. People can think whatever they like.
That used to be my reaction to flying, but with necessity, I overcame it.

Dentist doesn't worry me, giving blood, or doing blood tests doesn't worry me. But the sight of lots of my own blood escaping my body from some form of injury usually results in me fainting (small amounts are OK - large quantities I go to jelly).
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-10-2012, 09:58 AM   #32
SXR6
Still a Ford boy... Just.

lol I can have blood tests, donate, get cut open and bleed whatever, and im all fine. Always.
But if I get the smallest little cut on the palm of my hand and fingers and see 1 tiny drop of blood I just about pass out. Cut the back of my hand back of my fingers im fine. But the inside... damn, eyes roll back and im gone. Very strange! Hate that whoozey feeling lol.

Once they wake up its water boy time though.
SXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-10-2012, 11:32 AM   #33
nikko2

I have test every six months (high blood preasure) and the thought of the test is always much worse than the test it's self. Just got used to it over the years.

Nick.
nikko2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-10-2012, 12:12 PM   #34
iCat
doof doof doof doof

wow, i dont feel half so bad now - i bawl like a baby everytime i have to have a blood test. and i dont care what anyone says i reckon it hurts! (haha, and this is someone who drove herself to hospital with a broken ankle!)
Old 13-10-2012, 12:23 PM   #35
DJR-351
I am Groot
Donating Member3

Doesn’t faze me at all..........except when it's the bloody tax man doing it, then i have trouble handling it.....

"Those were the days when the cars were cars, they weren't built out of an Ikea pack like they are now and clothed in plastic; they were real cars." John Bowe
DJR-351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-10-2012, 12:26 PM   #36
H.G
Driver Returns On Foot

I use to freak out all the time.. but now I can watch as they stick the needle in and draw the blood.. its all a state of mind.. when you are young you are pre programmed by what you see and hear.. and alot of the time it stays with you... ie fear of needles/spiders etc etc.. power of suggestion.. you think of other things.. things that make you smile etc. * yes is sounds somewhat strange* like most pain.. its a visual recognition.. how many times have you hurt yourself and not really noticed anything until you've seen the result.. Best one I had which was a turning point for me with needles.. was I needed a tetnis shot.. I was so tense and locked up from fear of the perceived pain.. the Dr was having a hard time, he was a mini man probably just breaking 5ft if lucky.. and here I am 6ft and no twig. eventually he just hit me in the arm hard.. and told me its all over.. I relaxed and he then finally gave me the tetnis shot, I didnt even feel the needle going in..
H.G is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-10-2012, 01:56 PM   #37
supershifty
Missing a sock...
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Dave has been a long time active member on the forums and in particular has been a busy volunteer whenever there are cruises and toys runs etc held in South East Qld. He actively gives up his time and ensures that the events are provided for, be it commun 

Blood tests don't bother me phobia or pain wise. I do agree that I feel a little faint for a few minutes, and my arm/grip is weaker for about 1/2 hour. I do reckon it's a little odd for this effect to happen - they only draw 3 ampules which wouldn't amount more than say 150ml.

Cheers!

Real friends + great times = sheer bliss!

Considering becoming an organ donor? Click here

QLD Events, Cruises and Get Togethers: Click here

Gain success instantly - lower your standards.

It's not government funded - it's taxpayer funded.
supershifty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 13-10-2012, 02:33 PM   #38
perthfggsute

i think your body weight can effect some that give blood.before i got into powerlifting i only weighed 48 kgs,and couldnt give blood as they said i was too puny to take a pint out,this was yrs ago back in n.z
now i weigh anywhere from 75 to 89.although now i cant give blood as i have injected steroids into myself on and off since 1989,and they said if anyone has injected they wont take your blood,although i thought they could just test me,see im clean etc.but they told me ,NO WAY.
i am also an organ donor,and am going to find out what the rules are there,as they also might say we dont want yr organs either.
it is a really good thing to do - give blood.some of you guys and girls that do would have helped to save others lives,and that is awesome.

Tuned by Monsta Torque
395.2 KW
610 NM
3.07 diff ratio (changed from original 3.73)
6 spot brembo's on the front
3 inch manta cat back exhaust with X piece
6 speed manual
k & n air filter
rear calipers painted red
debadged stripes etc removed
perthfggsute is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-10-2012, 03:30 PM   #39
f1tzy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Every time i get a blood test i pass out. The last time i wasnt really thinking and didnt tell the poor lady who had to try and catch 100kg 6'2 of me falling out of a chair with a needle in my arem
f1tzy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-10-2012, 03:52 PM   #40
LG17
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Lost half my finger on Wednesday and severed 2 arteries.
The docs couldn't stop the blood from pumping out even though they tried lots of different techniques.
I was just sitting there watching them and the nurses do their work. Some of the non-medical staff were having great difficulty coping and some found other things to do for a while.
While one lot were trying to stop the flow another lot were giving a tetanus injection, inserting a cannula...

None of the needles nor the blood flow phased me at all - it was the pain that did!
Thank God they gave me a pain block as soon as they could.
That's what made the difference for me.
LG17 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-10-2012, 05:01 PM   #41
Falcman0o7
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagleheart
The irony couldnt be anymore amazing.

Discovering this thread on the day I give my first blood test in my entire life.

I cried like a little girl (even before it happened). Hyperventilating, shaking, screaming, anyone wouldve thought I was getting my hands chopped off.

I have the worst phobia of needles. I dont care if my life depended on it, im NEVER doing that again.

I dont care about admitting all this. People can think whatever they like.
Wow mate. We are all different it can't be helped to a degree.
Falcman0o7 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-10-2012, 05:05 PM   #42
Falcman0o7
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by XD ESP! XELR8
Have to do this every 1 to 2 weeks for the rest of my life..

:(

Why is that mate? If you don't mind me asking...
Falcman0o7 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-10-2012, 10:06 PM   #43
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Any time I get a jab I burst into loud, uncontrolled hysterical laughter. No bloody joke. The nurses all roll their eyes when I tell em... Then go and get the doc after they make sure they are not seeing / hearing things... A doctor has been summoned on a few occasions now mid blood draw to actually assess the reason.

I'm stumped... Guess it tickles?

You should see me when I get a whole bunch of holiday shots... Tears rolling down my face. Should get a video if it some day... Wonder if there is a name for my condition?

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-10-2012, 11:22 PM   #44
grandpa_spec_F6
AFF Whore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Did someone say needl-...

Unless I'm lying down... all 100kg of me does it's best to achieve this:

My GMC Sierra is banned under Victoria's high powered vehicle laws, and its a 4082kg apartment complex on wheels.
Current Ride: Not a falcon, the struggle is real
grandpa_spec_F6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-10-2012, 11:27 PM   #45
NeillNZ
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has contributed a number of great technical articles for people with X Series cars. 

I lived with a fear of needles for most of my 42 years. Donating was not an option for me and if a blood test was presented as an option I would always decline. My partner is a midwife and wanted to practice canulation on me. She was very keen and suggested I do it on her to see how it is not painful and generally not a big deal. Well putting the needle in her nearly caused me to faint. I could not do it because I got too light headed and nauseous.

Then about a year ago I needed some dental work(root canal). My tooth was very painful yet I just could not allow the dentist to put the anesthetic needle in my mouth. I was in tears outside the dentist at one point because I just could not allow them to put the needle in me. I felt so stupid. I needed a solution to the phobia and fast. The dentist prescribed a few days worth of decent pain killers and I did a course of medical hypnosis.

It worked. Hypnosis is not the stuff you might see on TV, like walking about in a trance like state acting like a chicken whenever someone snaps their fingers or whatever.

What I learned works for any phobia. The hypnotherapist explained the workings of phobias, anxiety and the nervous system. Using hypnosis you get yourself into a state where it is impossible to be anxious. In a state of hypnosis it is like the opposite of anxiety. Phobias feed on anxiety and vice versa. Just as a phobia thrives when you are anxious it it diminished when in a state of hypnosis. It is like trying to dissolve oil(phobia) in water(your hypnotc state), it just cannot happen.

When in this state you are fully aware of your surroundings and aware of your own body more than you usually are. Your breathing is deep and full, your heart rate is slow and you often feel warm. This is the opposite of anxious, when your breathing is fast and shallow, heart is racing and skin is clammy.

I know that that the OP has written specifically about having to give blood for a test and not a phobia as such, but I think what he is referring to is very likely a phobia, all the signs are there. For me too it was never about the pain.

If you do a course make sure you get audio recordings of the sessions. There is a lot to take in while you are there.
Old 14-10-2012, 10:23 AM   #46
wrongwaynorris
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

After 35 years and 137 donations I still cannot bear to actually watch the needle going in , I turn away and ask them to just do it without warning otherwise I tense up something chronic . Once the needle is in I am fine .
Old 14-10-2012, 02:46 PM   #47
Hell Cat

My last (and only) blood test I got was 6 years ago, They needed 3 people to hold me down, I was yelling & swearing & threw up everywhere.
Hell Cat is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-10-2012, 02:58 PM   #48
XD ESP! XELR8
ESP5 + BOOST

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcman0o7
Why is that mate? If you don't mind me asking...
That's ok buddy..

I suffered from a PE (preliminary embolism)

An they thought because I was only 35 that is was a freak thing..

Anyway was on ratsak (warferin) for 6 months..

Clots went away then 9 months later I had another attack..

So inr has to be done alot (blood test)..

Thanks for asking anyway mate

Dave

Daily drives
BA XR6T lighting strike...Boosted
FG G6ET ego...tuned
F6
XD ESP! XELR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-10-2012, 12:34 PM   #49
GTJOHN
Ford 4 Life

I don't get woozy afterwards. But for a week leading up to a blood test , I get anxious and panicky.. Once the needle is in I relax, but usually I work myself up so bad with my phobia of needles I put it off.. last blood test was 6 years ago and I really need another but the fear of the needle makes me keep changing appointments..
damn needle phobia's

2nd Car - AU Falcon ,
Black Tickford wheels and Bodykit

---------------------------------------------------
GTJOHN is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-10-2012, 02:15 PM   #50
Feathers
Lucifer's Angel

Hate needles! I've been turned away from a couple of pathology labs because I couldn't settle down.
At the dentist when I had to get a few teeth out before I got braces, it took 4 people to hold me down before they would attempt to give me the painkiller jab in the roof of the mouth. That hurt like hell, I heard the skin pop, and wanted to scream like hell, but managed (just) to stay silent.

I inherited that from Dad. He had 6 teeth out before he got braces, and was more scared of the needle than having the teeth pulled.
His father told the dentist to just pull the teeth without the needle, and he almost refused, but Dad was fine once the threat of the needle went away.

Having vaccinations to go overseas, and that stupid HPV vaccine though, I took my childhood teddy bear to the Doctor's office, and cuddled the hell out of it while she gave me the needles. Even though I was in my mid 20's.

The Gardasil shots (3) left huge, hard lumps in my arm, and it felt weak for several days afterwards.
The Doc lost the record of giving me the third shot though, and suggested I have another one. No way in hell.
Blueprint, manual, 4490's, Redback 2.5" dual exhaust, BA Typhoon rims, tint, fog light covers, BF tailights, blue illuminated window switches, Ghia bootlid carpet, lower grille, FPV door spears, steering wheel & interior bits, XR6T + F6 intake, K&N filter, Typhoon spoiler, tuned, sway bars, custom angel eyes & plates..YUM!

If there's one thing guys in Holdens hate more than being beaten by a Ford...
It's being beaten by a girl driving a Ford
Feathers is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-10-2012, 02:44 PM   #51
TheSneakiness
Adapt or perish...

I don't mind needles in the arm but anywhere else fuggin forget it. I purposefully paid an anesthegist (sp?) to fully knock me out to remove wisdom teeth.
Old 22-02-2013, 08:37 PM   #52
NickyN
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I had pain in my lower right abdominal area over the weekend and it got worse till I couldn't stand it any longer and ended up in the ER on Monday. I'm what lab and IV nurses call "a hard poke" because it's difficult to find my veins and get in. My visit to the ER and overnight stay in the hospital left me with 5 bruises from IV attempts. 5! From the top of my right hand, inner elbows (2 on my left, 1 on my right) and finally the top of my left hand. I could feel her moving the needle around.....my veins either "blew" or when the nurse tried to draw blood for the lab she couldn't get any. I was like, "WHAAT?!?" How could she not be able to draw blood because I have lots of blood all over my body, I'm alive, aren't I? But she couldn't so she pulled out and tried again. A different nurse came and the 3rd and 4th try was done using an ultrasound and she STILL couldn't do it. Anyway, blood pooled inside so I have 5 ugly bruises which are all doing the colorful rainbow dance....changing colors until they beautifully fade.

I had to go for lab work today too and because today's wasn't an IV site, the lab tech used a smaller gauge needle and though she used the same vein as Monday but at another point, she had no probs. That's 5 pokes on Monday and 1 today. 6 pokes in 4 days, not too happy about that.

But back to what this thread is about: I can't handle blood. When I cut my finger with a knife and see blood, that's it. I'm done. I'm dizzy, lightheaded and literally lean against the kitchen counter or cabinet and slide down to the floor. I have to lie down and friends have carried me to the sofa too. I feel like I'm hyperventilating and about to pass out. I've always been like this. I can't handle blood, guts (thankfully never seen that) and I know I'd freak seeing someone really bloody and bleeding. As a kid, the one job I never ever wanted to do was be a nurse. Or do anything with blood.

Needles make me tense, nervous, my blood pressure goes up, I breathe shallow which doesn't help, I'm known to turn pale, I can barely answer their questions and they have to pry my fingers off of the ball I'm squeezing....to get the blood to flow once they get the vein. Yea I'm not good with needles, I hate needles. Idk why either, it's the way I've always been.

I've never donated blood. I don't make the min weight requirement. Kudos to everyone who does!
NickyN is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-02-2013, 08:39 PM   #53
NickyN
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapid_Axe View Post
I don't mind needles in the arm but anywhere else fuggin forget it. I purposefully paid an anesthegist (sp?) to fully knock me out to remove wisdom teeth.

That's definitely the way to do it.........expensive, but oh so well worth it!!

That's how I had my wisdom teeth removed.
NickyN is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-02-2013, 08:20 PM   #54
stevepet

Sorry to hijack thread bur Geez Loouise I have just been diagnosed with haemochromatosis. Was feeling crap for months until i was diagnosed now get bled every fortnight and feel much better. Have noticed a lot of changes though worst thing is loss of upper body strength. Any tips or thoughts would be appreciated.

Steve
stevepet is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-02-2013, 08:27 PM   #55
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

A couple of times while taking blood for a blood test I've felt dizzy and nauseous, but most times I'm ok. Most nurses are pretty good at it and understand that people don't like them and try and engage in some small talk to help get your mind off it. I usually look away, think of something else and/or continue the small talk conversation to make the time pass quicker. Once the initial "bee sting" of the needle going in is over, I'm ok.

Anything bigger than that though, and I start to flip out a bit. I had to have an iodine dye marker injection with a CT scan a month or so ago - goddamn that hurt when they shoved that bastard in.

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-02-2013, 10:40 PM   #56
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My other family members don't do so well with needles, I seem to have missed out on that gene :-) , .................. but inherited the not so good with heights gene : /
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-02-2013, 11:46 PM   #57
FPV8U
BOSS 5.4L Enthusiast

When I was very young I had to get a blood test a month for years, I actually liked it as I'd score a match box car or Thomas the tank engine out of it, I'm not as good with needles now but I can't help but watch it go in, I can't stand watching the little capsule fill with blood though, makes me feel sick.

I've been thinking about donating blood and plasma lately, just a case of Havn't got around to it.
FPV8U is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-02-2013, 11:59 PM   #58
martyal44
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

What a thread.. where I work you'll see up to 300 blood tubes at the end of the day;
all for various tests which can reveal various disease states but to think the small
ones only take 5 mL and the gels 7-10 mL each not much really...if you have to fast drink plenty of water that'll help and thanks to the donors it's well used I cross matched some red cell packs only this morning for a needy patient.
martyal44 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-02-2013, 03:17 PM   #59
Papa Smurf
Donating Member
Donating Member2

I would love to be able to donate blood but I cannot. I had by pass surgery and am a insulin dependent Diabetic with cardiac issues, I got the Trifecta. :(
I have blood taken nearly every month and still I am not allowed to donate, I might die? so could anyone else.
I am always thankful that others in the community can donate and do to help others, what more christian act could people do.

To those that do donate, THANKS.
Papa Smurf is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-02-2013, 04:49 PM   #60
Trevor 57
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I am a regular blood and plasma donor.

I actually watch the needle go in when giving blood, plasma and have blood tests, it is no big deal, in fact if you watch it it doesn't seem to hurt