Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 13-11-2006, 12:23 AM   #31
Brute6
Lurvin' my Ute!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by falconlover
Just remember its a brand new model there will be engineer innovations. Whats so bad about a supercharger?
I'm not saying anything bad about a supercharger? I'm just saying that for something to work in a positive way for the current line up it would need a decent injection of power?
But I know there will be no supercharging........for a fair while.

HERS: SZ Territory TS, Havana

Proud Member "FPV & XR Owners Club of Vic"

Brute6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-11-2006, 12:59 AM   #32
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Do you have any pics vztrt?
Ahh no, but the lineup of cars coming is very nice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brute6
Supercharge it to get an extra 30 odd kW's?
You mean 10kw as the BOSS XR8 has 260fwkw.
vztrt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-11-2006, 08:41 AM   #33
LTDHO
The one and only

Quote:
Why has ford Australia made the orion falcon launch so far away? The ve will of been out for 20months! Also there is still 17 months until it is on sale. Any comments? _2:
IMO it has nothing to R&D and time take to build a car as vehicles are designed 5 to 7 years before release.

Simple fact is Ford is slack and always seem to do thinga after Holden. I hate it big time and it is not helping FoMoCo. But I'm sure they know what they are doing...
Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe
LTDHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-11-2006, 09:08 AM   #34
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Um LTDHO, is that your damn sarcasim again? I just cant pick it, you need a smilie.

An "all new" car will take 5 years min from drawing table to end product, and that basically without stuff going wrong. Add to that supplier issues, weather issues, manufacturing issue the list goes on.

If Ford could make a new model in two years they probably still wont release it for 5 anyway, a ~$800M model every couple of years just doesn't work unless you have volume; which Australia doesn't.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane

Last edited by Polyal; 13-11-2006 at 09:32 AM.
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-11-2006, 09:54 AM   #35
LTDHO
The one and only

Polyal, no sarcasm this time.

Hence why I said cars are designed and protyped during 5-7 years not 2.

So I am very disapointed with Ford
Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe
LTDHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-11-2006, 09:57 AM   #36
GXL078
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Orion is a DUMB name, almost as dumb as Forte, but typical FORD. Orion is a airplane and sounds too similar to AURION, the Toyota AVALON replacement. But at least Toyota has learnt its lessons. They stuffed up by using Barry Humpries (cross dresser) to advertise the AVALON, but the ads for the AURION make me almost want to go out and buy on, until I saw how crap they look.
GXL078 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-11-2006, 09:57 AM   #37
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTDHO
Polyal, no sarcasm this time.

Hence why I said cars are designed and protyped during 5-7 years not 2.

So I am very disapointed with Ford
Well there are alot of things that slow progress down, remember at the end of the day holden and foa have to go back kissing butt in the US.

Also when you rush things you make mistakes, building a car obviously is not something you want to stuff up.

But then again, all the time in the world wont pick everything up.
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Old 13-11-2006, 09:59 AM   #38
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by xcgxl
Orion is a DUMB name, almost as dumb as Forte, but typical FORD. Orion is a airplane and sounds too similar to AURION, the Toyota AVALON replacement. But at least Toyota has learnt its lessons. They stuffed up by using Barry Humpries (cross dresser) to advertise the AVALON, but the ads for the AURION make me almost want to go out and buy on, until I saw how crap they look.
Jesus.....to be honest, while it will never happen, the general public isn't even really meant to know the code names anyway. They are just "nik names" if you will, they mean nothing. And if they do mean something then its in jest usually; Seagull for example was the I6T....
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Old 13-11-2006, 10:55 AM   #39
NC_GHIA
FirstOnRaceDay

Is there any pics of it?

NC Fairlane GHIA
Series II
I6.
Mods. 2.5" cat back
Clarion HU
Soundstream speakers amp and subs
Lowered
DL LTD rims
: thats it!
For the moment... :
NC_GHIA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-11-2006, 11:26 AM   #40
Hawk
I am The Brain!

Quote:
Originally Posted by xcgxl
It is a codename and, fwiw, I think the Orion name is a good one. The Orion name would have probably been decided on as a codename before Aurion anyway.

I can't stand Barry Humpfries, but I think the fact that the Avalon looked dated from the start and drove and handled poorly was probably more the point as to why it failed.

Woohoo 1.6L 1999 Toyota Corolla....feel the power!

I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realise that what you heard is not what I meant.
Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-11-2006, 03:18 PM   #41
MarkAW

Unfortunately during that long development period marketing also has a hand to play. Whilst most of the forum members have a preference for bulk Horsepower, race track handling and slick styling; the majority of purchaser's have very little interest in this. Many seem to get really hyped over a percieved lack of economy that in most cases could be overcome by their own poor driving habits ie foot on brake and accelerator at same time.

In our current high fuel price economy, don't be too surprised if the next model is suddenly changed to provide better fuel economy at the sacrifice of horsepower.
MarkAW is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-11-2006, 03:27 PM   #42
Walkinshaw
Two > One

People should have relised the update was to be arround early/mid 2008 anyway.

The fact is that with the 1998 release of the AU Ford unleashed an enormus flop onto the Australian market. FoMoCoAU was not looking very pretty pending the release of the BA, and you could probably put a fair wager on the fact that FoMoCoAU spent alot more on the AU-BA facelift than was initially forcasted pre AU release. Now, FoMoCoAU needs to recoup this over extending of its initial budget and the way to do this is to extend a platform life.

IF in 1998 the AU was released as something decent (ie. BA) then FoMoCoAU could effectivly reduce the platform lifespan as they would not have to fork out a huge sum to rid itself of the horror that was AU, and could invest this time/budget in pulling a new platform forward.

And yes, as above, go and have a look at what it takes to design/engineer/build a new model.

Walkinshaw is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-11-2006, 03:29 PM   #43
Walkinshaw
Two > One

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkAW
Unfortunately during that long development period marketing also has a hand to play. Whilst most of the forum members have a preference for bulk Horsepower, race track handling and slick styling; the majority of purchaser's have very little interest in this. Many seem to get really hyped over a percieved lack of economy that in most cases could be overcome by their own poor driving habits ie foot on brake and accelerator at same time.
This would be due to who the major purchasers of Falcons are. (ps. they aren't people)

Walkinshaw is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-11-2006, 03:29 PM   #44
GTP-814
love the quad cams

With the way fuel is going, lets hope these is a turbo diesel on the way. The latest mazda 6 is supposed to achieve 5l/100k
GTP-814 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-11-2006, 05:42 PM   #45
MarkIV

Looking at the generational changes since 1971 (ignoring months):-
Holden HQ 71 - VB 7 years Ford XA 72 - XD 7 years
VB - VN 11 years, XD - EA 9 years
VN - VT 8 years, EA - AU 10 years
VT - VE 9 years, AU - Orion 10 years.

Total Holden 35 years, Ford 36 years.
Holden average 8.75 years, Ford 9 years.

Ford has been generally been behind by a year except for the EA (which many would argue was rushed!).

Since the late 70's the average has been 10 years or so with Ford being more consistent. Holden has ranged from 8-11 years.

I guess my point is that 'yes its going to be a long wait until 2008' but it is just the way its always been.
MarkIV is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-11-2006, 06:03 PM   #46
Brute6
Lurvin' my Ute!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vztrt

You mean 10kw as the BOSS XR8 has 260fwkw.
What I was meaning is that for the supercharger to "be put to good use" it would need a lot more than (for example) 30kW's.
If they were to supercharge it, give it a serious sort of bump in the power/torque department to make it beneficial....

HERS: SZ Territory TS, Havana

Proud Member "FPV & XR Owners Club of Vic"

Brute6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-11-2006, 08:09 PM   #47
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTDHO
Simple fact is Ford is slack and always seem to do thinga after Holden. I hate it big time and it is not helping FoMoCo. But I'm sure they know what they are doing...
Yeah i guess what they should have done is brought it out before the VE and before petrol prices sky rocketed cause that hasn't affected large car sales at all. The timing was actually lucky for Ford as they can still tweak it to try and reduce as much weight as they can and make the car a little more fuel efficient.
Also just because a car has been designed it doesnt mean that it can get built straight away, there are tooling changes (sometimes more than once) and facility modifications that need to be planned, budgeted for approved and installed. Than you might need to tweak things because while it worked at design it won't necessarily work on the manufacturing side of things. So hopefully when you buy your new car there isn't a public recall because it looks bad on the company.
Old 13-11-2006, 08:25 PM   #48
BLOAN

Quote:
Why has ford Australia made the orion falcon launch so far away? The ve will of been out for 20months! Also there is still 17 months until it is on sale. Any comments? _2:
I think you will find that Ford actually pushed back the release date because of the late approval from Ford US. I have seen photos & can say that I don't believe there will be any carry over panels from the BA/BF.
BLOAN is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-11-2006, 10:37 PM   #49
falconlover
Bathurst 2007, Ford 1-2-3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLOAN
I think you will find that Ford actually pushed back the release date because of the late approval from Ford US. I have seen photos & can say that I don't believe there will be any carry over panels from the BA/BF.
You've seen photos describe them to me. Whats the late approval from the ford us gotta do with ford aust? Why would there be any carry over panels from ba/bf anyway its a whole new brand new car, oh don't worry ve used the same mirriors. :thebirds:
falconlover is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-11-2006, 05:39 PM   #50
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Quote:
You've seen photos describe them to me. Whats the late approval from the ford us gotta do with ford aust? Why would there be any carry over panels from ba/bf anyway its a whole new brand new car, oh don't worry ve used the same mirriors. :thebirds:
FOA is still controlled by the US, so they give the approval to go ahead.
Old 14-11-2006, 05:54 PM   #51
Grasshoppr
GTI ist ehrfürchtig

sleep: too many :MrT_anim:

Our Events cater for all types of people.
Grasshoppr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-11-2006, 08:27 PM   #52
Outbackjack
Central to all beach's

I will be keeping a good lookout from about march next year onwards. Should start seeing them appear in all their black plastic wrapping for heat testing. I would like to also say highway speed testing, but those days seem to be behind us now. And I am not above sneaking around at night with a camera..... :monkes:

Please dont take that out of context.
Old 14-11-2006, 10:40 PM   #53
falconlover
Bathurst 2007, Ford 1-2-3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outbackjack
I will be keeping a good lookout from about march next year onwards. Should start seeing them appear in all their black plastic wrapping for heat testing. I would like to also say highway speed testing, but those days seem to be behind us now. And I am not above sneaking around at night with a camera..... :monkes:

Good work outbackjack lol! :
falconlover is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-11-2006, 11:52 PM   #54
ltd
Force Fed Fords

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outbackjack

Yeah, can't wait for those spy shots to be revealed as I'm beyond curious now as to what direction ford will take.

To answer the question as well, one of the reasons as I just posted in the VE to china thread for the delay is that tools and moulds need to be made for the plastics components once the actual final vehicle design is approved. These can take months each and each model will require several tools/moulds.

Quote: