Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 03-03-2009, 09:07 PM   #31
Gobes32
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

And by all reports he was a hit in Europe too, but I am pretty sure he asked for the Australian posting? Can anyone confirm this? It makes a world of difference if you really want to be where you are posted and you have a vision you want to see unfold.
Gobes32 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-03-2009, 09:12 PM   #32
StealthAu
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleekism
The way Holden people talk the Ford I6 belongs in a "dirty truck"

FPV Kenworth here we come lol..............
Yeah, and their 6L pushrod engine is engineering at its best, nothing truck like there
StealthAu is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-03-2009, 09:13 PM   #33
Falcon_Crazy
PX3 WildTrak & RTV

Good nres. the latest FG version of the I6 is great...still hasn't returned worse than 9.9l/100km for me and overall in 16,000km and 4 mon ths, 9.2l/100km
BA Falcon RTV - Project Ute 265,000km
Sold PXII Ranger XLT Cool White. 105,000
Sold PX Ranger XLT in cool white, 151,700km on clock.
Sold FGII XR6T Ute LTD Edition in Kinetic.
Sold FG XR6 Ute
Sold BA Falcon RTV. 251,300km.Was a great mate for last 7 years

Sold AUII XLS Ute
Sold '85 XF & Crashed 84 XF
Falcon_Crazy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-03-2009, 09:13 PM   #34
Paxton
Cobblers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gobes32
And by all reports he was a hit in Europe too, but I am pretty sure he asked for the Australian posting? Can anyone confirm this? It makes a world of difference if you really want to be where you are posted and you have a vision you want to see unfold.

Well he's obviously applied for the Australian job, so I think he wanted to come home.

I don't think a great deal is known about Burela, is he married, have a family? Does he have family here?

He cut his teeth in Geelong, and has a passion for Ford Australia that is only rivalled by one man - Uncle Geoff (RIP). Ford Australia have the right boss at the right time.
Roses are red. Violets are blue. OS X rocks. Homage to you.
Paxton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-03-2009, 09:16 PM   #35
Gobes32
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I don't know if you apply for jobs or you just get told that the job is yours, too bad if you don't want it.
Old 03-03-2009, 09:30 PM   #36
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ok so the article doesnt say what the potential exports would be. My bet is IF it is true (everyones partying on here like deals are done), then it is to non-Ford entities. Think Indian and Chinese cars. I really doubt it will be put in F-series, Mustang, Taurus or Mondeo. Its not going in the next Explorer. Crown Vic/Grand Marquis/Town Car is dead. I thought the Global RWD platform was a no go. So who knows what they have planned for this thing? (if anything)
chevypower is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-03-2009, 10:15 PM   #37
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Stationary engines, generator sets, airport tugs/hauler vehicles...possibly even marine applications...
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-03-2009, 10:24 PM   #38
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_Warrior
Stationary engines, generator sets, airport tugs/hauler vehicles...possibly even marine applications...
This is probably where it could go, its been talked about in the past. I've also heard rumours of Chinese light trucks, but that was coming from a very unreliable source.

The engine plant could never make enough I6's to supply the F series, they make more of them in a month than we do in a year, and we couldn't even keep up with demand for the BA. Its getting the EcoBoost V6 anyway.

Could this very well mean there will be a new Falcon in 2013?. And having the I6 means no FWD either.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-03-2009, 01:11 AM   #39
Falc'man
You dig, we stick!

Quote:
Very possible, especially if they make it diesel.

It's pretty tractable as it is on petrol; I can't think of any NA run-of-the-mill motor that has more specific torque than FG's 4L iteration. More specific torque than the highly strung Boss315, and about the same as the M3's ballistic 4L V8...

In BF guise with the 4sp auto first gear could reach right on 100km/h and yet crack a comfortable 14 second down the strip in stock form... God I love this motor.
Old 04-03-2009, 01:51 AM   #40
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
You could be right, the next global chassis might be a Mondeo in Europe, Taurus in the US and a small Falcon down here in Oz. Why build three separate cars when you can build three off the one chassis? However, Falcon will then become a FWD car. Has it's good and bad sides to it.
They want the Taurus to be a AWD as well as a FWD so if they design the drive train tunnel correctly RWD should still be a possibility. Also the new robot they have in body build would allow changes to the body.

Quote:
I don't know if you apply for jobs or you just get told that the job is yours, too bad if you don't want it.
If its like the managers when I was there, you really have no choice. You get told and move. I wonder if GP had some influence on Burela?

Quote:
Wouldn't really see it in the gen sets (tied up by cummins (land) and CAT (off shore) or marine. But the Chinese and Indian vehicles would be a very good bet. I know in the heavy machinery section then China wanted to export their products they went O/S for engines so they could meet emission requirements.
Old 04-03-2009, 09:07 AM   #41
Wretched
Render unto Caesar

Good news about the engine. Hopefully something does come out of this article.

Unsure as to the survival of the falcon still. Just because the engine will stay around doesn't mean the car will, they still have to set aside millions to develop the car itself and if it isn't selling or making them money then it probably won't stay.
Old 04-03-2009, 09:47 AM   #42
Blue_XR

Maybe what HQ in detroit need to do is read the online forums and see how much interest there is for the falcon, especially in FPV form. When I read the online aritcles from car and driver they seem to have nothing but praise for our local product.

Just imagine if HQ decided that they would not export their towncar to the middle eastern countries and left that for our local product. Just imagine the investment dollars to make it even better over more units.

Why dont they export it to to the UK though, you would think FPV being majority owned by prodrive could create a niche maket especially with the I6 T.

And yes its great news for the engine!
Blue_XR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-03-2009, 10:58 AM   #43
imugli
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue_XR
Maybe what HQ in detroit need to do is read the online forums and see how much interest there is for the falcon, especially in FPV form. When I read the online aritcles from car and driver they seem to have nothing but praise for our local product.
MotorTrend as well. Angus McKenzie (an Ex Pat Aussie) is editor over there so the Oz-Mobiles get plenty of coverage on line and they love them.
imugli is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-03-2009, 07:55 PM   #44
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleekism
The way Holden people talk the Ford I6 belongs in a "dirty truck"

FPV Kenworth here we come lol..............
they're just jelous because they have a rough rattler of a engine. I6 will allways be greater.

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-03-2009, 09:09 PM   #45
mrbaxr6t
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

the I6 Ford has created is a work of art crafted from steel on a shoe string budget, what if (extreme long shot) Nissan are looking at it for a Skyline, that engine strapped in a Nissan AWD would be a leviathan of a car! This type of thing is somewhat difficult to research cause I cant read japanese But that engine is better than the one in the R35. As everybody knows its hauling a large car so that slows it down (a little) - Nissan have dealt with ford in the past Ford maverick (Patrol) nissan utility (XF ute) as examples they have dealt in the past. And maybe are about to again.

Holden special vehicles - for special people
mrbaxr6t is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-03-2009, 09:10 PM   #46
phillyc
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always factual and beneficial. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falc'man
Very possible, especially if they make it diesel.

It's pretty tractable as it is on petrol; I can't think of any NA run-of-the-mill motor that has more specific torque than FG's 4L iteration. More specific torque than the highly strung Boss315, and about the same as the M3's ballistic 4L V8...

In BF guise with the 4sp auto first gear could reach right on 100km/h and yet crack a comfortable 14 second down the strip in stock form... God I love this motor.
There was talk a few months back about the Barra being turned into a diesel.

Maybe if SsangYong recovers, then they might want to replace their Mercedes based engines and match our petrol I6 to the DSI gearboxes they currently use. SY use the 6spd DSI which fits the 4spd case.

That sort of deal could add 50,000 units a year!

The BMEP and fuel burn efficiency are both very high for the I6 so anything is possible!

PS I would laugh if it became a 3.2L DI petrol and was fitted to Jaguars!

Boss349 built. Not yet run. Waiting on a shell.

Retrotech thread
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...1363569&page=6
phillyc is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-03-2009, 10:40 PM   #47
Gobes32
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

What is the capacity of the engine plant? Surely there becomes a point where they can't keep up depending on who purchases the motor? If Ssang Yong did jump on board, could they keep up with the predicted 50,000 units?
Old 04-03-2009, 11:09 PM   #48
500SEC

Turbo 4litre straight six Mustang anyone? The base model of the Mustange range in the US uses a 157kw V6....
500SEC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-03-2009, 11:23 PM   #49
Serial_Fool
Whipper Snappa

Quote:
Originally Posted by 500SEC
Turbo 4litre straight six Mustang anyone? The base model of the Mustange range in the US uses a 157kw V6....
That is woefully pathetic.

I just remember a short time ago when people were commenting on the incoming V6 in the falcon as a "world class" engine, how things change in such short amount of time.

The inline six that ford produces is directly related to Falcon production. No inline six means no local RWD product and vice versa. Congrats fellas, the Falcon/Inline 6 duo lives on untill atleast 2016.
Old 04-03-2009, 11:24 PM   #50
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Quote:
What is the capacity of the engine plant? Surely there becomes a point where they can't keep up depending on who purchases the motor? If Ssang Yong did jump on board, could they keep up with the predicted 50,000 units?
My thoughts exactly. I think we can forget about another automotive application for the engine, as the engine plant would not be able to satisfy both local and foreign demand for automotive applications.
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-03-2009, 11:44 PM   #51
Paxton
Cobblers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serial_Fool
That is woefully pathetic.

I just remember a short time ago when people were commenting on the incoming V6 in the falcon as a "world class" engine, how things change in such short amount of time..
Completely different engine.

Mustang's V6 is the German Cologne V6, which is shared with the Explorer and Land Rover Discovery 3. The 'World Class' V6 that Falcon and Territory were expecting is called Duratec (D37), and is world class.

This engine's future is uncertain at the moment. It will inevitably be replaced by the Duratec V6, however when is anyone's guess. Mustang will get the D37 (and D35 Ecoboost) next year, but what will Land Rover replace the engine with in the Discovery3?
Old 05-03-2009, 12:42 AM   #52
Steve
torque is your friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paxton
Completely different engine.

Mustang's V6 is the German Cologne V6, which is shared with the Explorer and Land Rover Discovery 3. The 'World Class' V6 that Falcon and Territory were expecting is called Duratec (D37), and is world class.

This engine's future is uncertain at the moment. It will inevitably be replaced by the Duratec V6, however when is anyone's guess. Mustang will get the D37 (and D35 Ecoboost) next year, but what will Land Rover replace the engine with in the Discovery3?

So maybe Burela's talking to Tata?
Old 05-03-2009, 07:01 AM   #53
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Interesting that the 4.0 V6 in the Mustang has 157kw
The 3.5 V6 in the Edge/Flex/Taurus/Fusion has 197kw, with the EcoBoost version pumping at 260kw with 480Nm from 1800rpm
The 3.7 V6 has 203kw, i think it mainly benefits in torque over the standard 3.5.
I don't think Ford makes any effort on making the V6 Mustang powerful.
Old 05-03-2009, 09:23 AM   #54
GS608
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

so more people upgrade to the V8 GT?
GS608 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-03-2009, 09:26 AM   #55
Paxton
Cobblers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevypower
The 3.5 V6 in the Edge/Flex/Taurus/Fusion has 197kw, with the EcoBoost version pumping at 260kw with 480Nm from 1800rpm
The 3.7 V6 has 203kw, i think it mainly benefits in torque over the standard 3.5.

A Powerful hairdresser's car? Never.
Old 05-03-2009, 11:24 AM   #56
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevypower
Because the Mustang is RWD and the others are FWD/psuedo AWD perhaps?
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
XR Martin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-03-2009, 12:56 PM   #57
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

There is word that Ford is working on a RWD version of the 3.5L EcoBoost for the 2010 F150 and Explorer perhaps Mustang too? It would more than replace the 4.0, it would take sales away from the 4.6/5.0 - So I wonder if that will happen. Supposed to have even more horse power than the Edge/Flex version, around 400HP (300kw).
Old 05-03-2009, 06:53 PM   #58
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Capacity was reached during BA production, we couldn't keep up running 6 days a week. The crank machining line is the bottle neck and they were working 7 days and still couldn't hit the target numbers.

Another 50,000 units would put capacity to around max, but would require a big change to the line and a whole lot of new workers to get production back up to where it was years ago before all the down balances.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-03-2009, 08:02 PM   #59
Serial_Fool
Whipper Snappa

I didn't say the V6 in the Mustang was the V6 Falcon was supposed to get in 2010.
Old 05-03-2009, 08:18 PM   #60
ivorya
Mad Scientist!

For all the Doom and Gloom that we are hearing about our Ford, lets hope this is no rumour and a Good news story for once!!!
ivorya is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post