Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 11-04-2009, 07:14 PM   #31
Silver Ghia
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: As Silver Ghia his contributions to the AU and BA technical areas have been of high quality and valuable to the member base. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaw
Point of intrest here........Shannons do have a choice of repairer policy....
Wouldn't that mean YOU chose the repairer the car went to and not shannons?
and if YOU were the one that chose the repairer that it had to go back to 3 times, why are you blaming shannons for the choice YOU made?
Just what I was thinking when I saw that post from mustang70.

As I said previously, I never had a problem at all with Shannons when it was time to make a claim (no fault of mine) a couple of years ago. All new parts, and they didnt quibble at all with the repairers quote.
Silver Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-04-2009, 10:55 AM   #32
FTe342
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Shannons won't get my business because their advertising is a load of c#@p. They "might" share your passion but they don't share the value of your car. I have a TL50 that I can sell for $60K + in a blink (possibly even double that) but Shannons won't insure it for > $30K. They must think I am going to put it over a cliff and claim :

On another note, I have just lodged a claim with AAMI for the P250 after hitting a roo. This far the service has exceeded my expectations. Only have to get one quote which has been done and I take the car to AAMI assessor on Wed for go ahead.
T3 TL50 #147 Silhouette Auto ESS - Brembos - Last of 3 in T3 spec, only AUIII TL50 ever built -14.2 sec @ 98mph bog stock. Only customer ordered T3 TL50 built, only LWB sedan plated AUIII and the last performance enhanced LWB sedan built by Ford Aust.

AUII Fairlane Ghia Sportsman 5.0L in Blue Pearl

OWN THE ROAD
FTe342 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-04-2009, 11:12 AM   #33
AllCoupedUp
Garage Dreaming...

Location: In the garage - waiting for the car to build itself!!

AAMI are great for stock cars. I was insured with them for 5 or so years with both our cars and the claim we had was dealth with in 2 weeks from lodge to return of car. Now I have a modded car, AAMI will not insure. So I changed to YOUI for the Territory (1/2 the price of AAMI) and Shannons for my car and the project. I choose Shannons due to choice of repairer. Price was good too and I have heard good things from my club about them.
AllCoupedUp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-04-2009, 11:25 AM   #34
mustang70

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaw
Point of intrest here........Shannons do have a choice of repairer policy....
Wouldn't that mean YOU chose the repairer the car went to and not shannons?
and if YOU were the one that chose the repairer that it had to go back to 3 times, why are you blaming shannons for the choice YOU made?
yes but they also have RECOMMENDED REPAIRERS, which I was foolishly talked into using instead of my own guy, as I was told it would save sending it all over town, engine guy,gearbox guy etc. I was VERY MUCH ENCOURAGED to use their recommended repairer, and in the end had to REFUSE to send it back to them and use my guy.

also, is it not the assessors job to check the progress/quality of the job?Shannons will get no sympathy from me, if you want more details just ask but they messed my job up royally!

and the rudeness I have encountered from their staff would put Telstra to shame

Scott
mustang70 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-04-2009, 11:38 AM   #35
mustang70

by the way my car was stolen , minor panel damage, major mechanical damage from thrathing/burnouts etc.

Scott
Old 12-04-2009, 11:47 AM   #36
FPV+fteT3
Performance Inc.

AAMI made a claim for hail damage on the FPV got myself 2 quotes from my choice of repairers within a week had the car assesed the guy at AAMI said where do you want the job done? He approved it and work was done inside of 3 weeks very happy have had 2 follow up calls from AAMI asking if I am happy with the repairs and reminding me of a lifetime guarantee on repairs. :

FPV Super Pursuit Build no 0080/91
Lotus Exige S/C S240

Kart Hasse Chassis 100J Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
Rental cars, the equipment of choice to get to destinations where 4WDs fear to drive......
FPV+fteT3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-04-2009, 09:01 PM   #37
Yaw
Ford Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustang70

also, is it not the assessors job to check the progress/quality of the job?

Scott
Ummm, no its not, it is the assessors job to check that the quote/proposed work is fair, reasonable and correct.
As for work quality an assessor should only get involved after you have raised your concerns with the repairer when you feel something is wrong and they have not come to the party. most repairers will fix any genuine concern without the need for the intervention of an assessor.(a lot of times {and I am not saying your case was the customer is just being unreasonable about non claim related damage)
Old 12-04-2009, 11:50 PM   #38
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllCoupedUp
AAMI are great for stock cars. I was insured with them for 5 or so years with both our cars and the claim we had was dealth with in 2 weeks from lodge to return of car. Now I have a modded car, AAMI will not insure. So I changed to YOUI for the Territory (1/2 the price of AAMI) and Shannons for my car and the project. I choose Shannons due to choice of repairer. Price was good too and I have heard good things from my club about them.
I agree with this comment and am in the same boat with my modded vehicle. Hence the personal reason I chose shannons.

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic
blueoval is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-04-2009, 02:20 PM   #39
mustang70

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaw
Ummm, no its not, it is the assessors job to check that the quote/proposed work is fair, reasonable and correct.
As for work quality an assessor should only get involved after you have raised your concerns with the repairer when you feel something is wrong and they have not come to the party. most repairers will fix any genuine concern without the need for the intervention of an assessor.(a lot of times {and I am not saying your case was the customer is just being unreasonable about non claim related damage)

I had never had a major claim before this one, my assesor led me to beleive that HE was the liason with the repairer, that he would be checking progress and quality regularly and reporting back to me. to leave it all 'with him' and he'd sort it all out.
as an example of the poor work done by his recommended repairer/after him checking the car, i received it back and the park brake had been taken apart ? and was lying on the drivers floor. this is after he said he had checked the vehicle over and it was all good. didnt check too hard I wouldnt think
Old 14-04-2009, 02:09 PM   #40
LTDHO
The one and only

"Hi insurance company? My name is XXX and I'm calling to complain"
"What appears to be the matter sir?"
"Well I had an accident this morning and it's now after 1 and I haven't received the payout for my car yet in my account. I have spent the last few hours since lodging the claim researching insurance companies on automotive forums, so I know you are delaying my claim"
"Sir your vehicle is on it's way to be assessed and..."
"Assessed? Don't you believe me when I tell you my 1989 EA GL is worth $35,000? You know that is what it will cost me to replace it?"
"Sir, an assessor will call you and advise what the current market value is"
"I knew you will do this, never want to pay me, I have posted this in a forum, now I'm calling the Ombudsman"
Caller hangs up.
Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe
LTDHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-04-2009, 02:13 PM   #41
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTDHO
"Well I had an accident this morning and it's now after 1 and I haven't received the payout for my car yet in my account. I have spent the last few hours since lodging the claim researching insurance companies on automotive forums, so I know you are delaying my claim"
"Assessed? Don't you believe me when I tell you my 1989 EA GL is worth $35,000? You know that is what it will cost me to replace it?"
"I knew you will do this, never want to pay me, I have posted this in a forum, now I'm calling the Ombudsman"
Caller hangs up.

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1975 Honda Civic
Old 14-04-2009, 08:34 PM   #42
Ratmac
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTDHO
Caller hangs up.
You work or have worked for an insurance company haven't you ?
I work in home and contents in claims and I have a conversation like that nearly every day.
The worse thing that you can do is harass insurance companies, it delays your claim and everyone else's.
If there doing the wrong thing then you can call but for every call thats at least 10 mins out of there day to process someones claim and get closer to yours.
With all the problems in oz ATM (bushfires, floods) every claim gets slowed down due to the amount of the claims and the effort that needs to go into each one to be processed.
Although it would be great to just accept the word of everyone and not need to send an assessor out to check on claims and get competitive pricing its just not going to happen, not while there are so many liars and cheats out there.
Quite simply ask for a time frame and make them stick to it, if they go outside that, then you need to start asking questions.
Ratmac is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-04-2009, 08:58 PM   #43
Yaw
Ford Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratmac
You work or have worked for an insurance company haven't you ?
I work in home and contents in claims and I have a conversation like that nearly every day.
Welcome To AFF, it will be nice to have another insurance worker around.
Old 14-04-2009, 11:42 PM   #44
cycle myth

They will have a service level agreement within their policy probably with the word "reasonable" thrown in many times around when they should respond.

If you have no joy ring to make a complaint using their complaints process - if it is not followed up in a "reasonable time" (I would say a week a fair) then complain again outlining you will take to ombudsmen or similar.....

Seems like Shannons have been too successful with their advertising.
cycle myth is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-04-2009, 09:17 PM   #45
Marquis 351
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian Doherty
How prompt should they be? and wats the best company. I'm insured with shannons both 4 my daly drive and clasic. I was in an accedent last friday and rang and reported it. didnt hear any thing all week, so i rang them today and they said that there was a chance the acessor could have a look at maybe at the end of next week. The car is un drivable { acording to the tow company] I'm a pannel beater, and I certanly do not hold the same opinion!!! Wish i could work out how to put pics on. Anyway shannons dont cover me for a hire car. I just feel they are dragging there heels?? I dont know?
OK the acessor looked at my 99 au fairmont today and told me it was a total loss and the claims dep would be contacting me within 5 working days. The ageed value of the car is $8500. If its an agreed value, is that what they have to pay????
Marquis 351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-04-2009, 09:38 PM   #46
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Quote:
OK the acessor looked at my 99 au fairmont today and told me it was a total loss and the claims dep would be contacting me within 5 working days. The ageed value of the car is $8500. If its an agreed value, is that what they have to pay????
thats correct, less your excess

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1975 Honda Civic
Old 20-04-2009, 12:44 PM   #47
Pedro
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
How prompt should they be? and wats the best company. I'm insured with shannons both 4 my daly drive and clasic. I was in an accedent last friday and rang and reported it. didnt hear any thing all week, so i rang them today and they said that there was a chance the acessor could have a look at maybe at the end of next week. The car is un drivable { acording to the tow company] I'm a pannel beater, and I certanly do not hold the same opinion!!! Wish i could work out how to put pics on. Anyway shannons dont cover me for a hire car. I just feel they are dragging there heels?? I dont know?

Whether its written in your contract or not, all insurance companies have to supply you with a hire car "if you can demonstrate any form of reliance on a motor vehicle prior to an accident" ..... Supreme Court Precedent:- Quach v Huntoff Pty. Ltd, and Athanasapoulos v Moseley.
Pedro is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-04-2009, 08:09 PM   #48
Marquis 351
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

smal print says they suply a hire car, only in the event of ur car being stolen.
Marquis 351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-04-2009, 11:28 PM   #49
Pedro
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It doesn't matter what the small, medium or large print says, what I said above is fact.
Pedro is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-04-2009, 08:50 AM   #50
LTDHO
The one and only

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro
Whether its written in your contract or not, all insurance companies have to supply you with a hire car "if you can demonstrate any form of reliance on a motor vehicle prior to an accident" ..... Supreme Court Precedent:- Quach v Huntoff Pty. Ltd, and Athanasapoulos v Moseley.
I can't say I have ever heard of that one.
Quote:
smal print says they suply a hire car, only in the event of ur car being stolen.
Show me a policy booklet or PDS with fine print! it's a myth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro
It doesn't matter what the small, medium or large print says, what I said above is fact.
Interesting fact.
Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe
LTDHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-04-2009, 08:54 AM   #51
XRSIKS
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I just set up insurance for my new XR8, cost $3615 for 1 year cover.
BF MK II XR8 - ToXiC...
Toyota Camry Altise

After a patient 2 years...
Now Driving...

2010 FG XR6 - Sunburst!
XRSIKS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-04-2009, 09:18 AM   #52
CFOUR
The Destroyer

Are you a demolition derby driver s&bxr6? are you Blind? That's a hefty premium, you should be looking at less than a G. Maby $1500 if your under 25.