Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 14-04-2009, 03:00 PM   #31
gtfpv
GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
If you would like to see high tech plants, look an the VW one in China and the Ford one in Brazil.

The Aussie car industry cannot be destroyed by this little hickup, it was destroyed in 1987 and befor that it was destoyed in the late 70s and before that it was destroyed in the 60s.

Doom and gloom always sell newspapers.

I have the perfect cure for this whole problem.

If everyone in Australia stopped advertising in the newspapers and on radio and TV to save money because of the "world economic crisis" suddenly it would be gone and the media would be full of "recovery stories" and good news and happly little vegemites.....

And then this totally imaginery manufactured crisis would just go away....

just heard on the news . 1700 aussie jobs gone at qantas due to fall in air travel.
gtfpv is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-04-2009, 03:09 PM   #32
gtfpv
GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke Plaizier
He is a little bit right - about the cost of labour that is.

The Australian Government enforces the Award Wages scheme on Australian employers, to ensure that all Australians are paid a minimum wage.

But items that are imported into Australia are not regulated by these same laws. I too would move my factory to another country - why wouldn't you?

A solution to this could be that any company that import goods and services into Australia should be forced to demonstrate that they have paid their employees the minimum Australian award wage.....but it's not like that's ever going to happen now is it.

How about this one. We need for Earth to be attacked by Aliens, forcing us to all unite against a common foe, and form a single worldwide government. Maybe then we could have a way for globally enforcing a minimum wage.....that seems more realistic don't you reckon?

Lukeyson

how about this one . my wifes family are farmers . stone fruit and vegetables . they are only allowed to shoot 30 flying foxes per year, because fruit foxes have a right to eat thier fruit . , the govt charge them $600 per year for rain , as they own thier own dam. when asked the greenies ( regulators how they can prevent 10 000 peaches of loss per year from fruit batts , thereply was put nets over the farm . cost $300 000. reply from farmers we may as well shut shop , because imported peaches are not fruit batt free like australian ones . along with not allowed to clear fire breaks to thier property anymore because of global warming . they are waiting for the fire that will burn from wisemans ferry to brooklyn .
i asked if farmers will one day go on the dole rather than farm one day . they beieve it's not to far away . as commen sense is all but gone in australia .
Old 14-04-2009, 03:10 PM   #33
Fordman1
Donating Member
Donating Member3

The GM Bankruptcy situation has now gone from possibility to probability.

I think it's going to get Nasty at GMH.

This could cause a melt down of the entire Australian Industry. Not good !!
Fordman1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-04-2009, 03:11 PM   #34
gtfpv
GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barraxr8
The GM Bankrupcy situation has now gone from possibility to probability.

I think it's going to get Nasty at GMH.

This could cause a melt down of the entire Australian Industry. Not good !!

just my opinion . but i dont see GM going broke . someone else will buy it or bail it out .
Old 14-04-2009, 03:37 PM   #35
PALE ALE

As a former Mitsubishi employee, I can remember in about 1996 going to a stop work meeting, where management informed us that for the very first time imported cars had outsold domestic cars
About two months ago i'm sitting in the waiting room at the dentist, I happen to pick up a Wheels/Motor magazine(cant remember which one), where it stated that 1 million+ cars were sold in Aus last year, 800,000+ of them were imported cars
"blind Freddy" can see that it is only a matter of "when" not "if".The current economic situation has just accelerated it
You can thank the Hawke/Keating government, and in particular, senator John Button, because it was his policy(Button car plan),that started to reduce tariffs on imported cars, and set the course, for the end of the Australian car industry, and manufacturing in this country
My beer fridge in the shed still has a union sticker on it that reads "ZERO TARIFFS=ZERO JOBS, defend Australia's car industry!" Ain't that the truth!
PALE ALE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-04-2009, 03:52 PM   #36
Noddy
Mercury Silver T3

Quote of a post from Ls1 made by Holden Factory Rep.

[This one is right out of the box! We wouldn't normally offer a view on this sort of thing from the factory but a few basic questions need to be asked.

Firstly, what constitutes an expert? So CMW has published a car book. What else? What data is he basing his views on when happily sounding the death knell for Australian car makers? Has he worked for a car company, been on a car launch or spoken to our executives? No. Does he have access to company business plans? No. Our finances? No. Does he even live in Australia? Um, a Kiwi. So what gives this one person the right to call ‘time’ on an entire industry with more than 60,000 jobs at stake? Shameless self-promotion at our expense is repugnant and should be held up for what it is. For the record, Holden has had the best selling car in the country for 13 consecutive years and we’re not going anywhere. We’re in there fighting in a pretty tough global environment. And luckily, we won’t be discouraged by bystanders.]

2017 Magnetic Mustang

What to hear a tuff T3?
Click here
http://s7.photobucket.com/albums/y30...ent=Movie2.mp4
Noddy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-04-2009, 03:57 PM   #37
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
If you would like to see high tech plants, look an the VW one in China and the Ford one in Brazil.

The Aussie car industry cannot be destroyed by this little hickup, it was destroyed in 1987 and befor that it was destoyed in the late 70s and before that it was destroyed in the 60s.

Doom and gloom always sell newspapers.

I have the perfect cure for this whole problem.

If everyone in Australia stopped advertising in the newspapers and on radio and TV to save money because of the "world economic crisis" suddenly it would be gone and the media would be full of "recovery stories" and good news and happly little vegemites.....
And then this totally imaginery manufactured crisis would just go away....
Pretty much it in a nutshell.. its not the first time things have been tough and it wont be the last.. we seemed to survive all the other rough periods ok.. these things go in cycles.. the length of the cycle is usually controlled by the doomsayers and media, make them inefective at spreading their negative rhetoric and i bet things turn around quickly.

Old 14-04-2009, 05:36 PM   #38
SB076
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Just read an article http://money.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=801092 basically Holden are suggesting the author of the orignial article doesnt have all his facts.

with Sunroof and tinted windows
with out all the go fast bits I actually need :
SB076 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-04-2009, 05:46 PM   #39
Melz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Just heard the report on the news about this apparent 'expert' and found out he is the guy that rights the "Dog and Lemon Guide"...
Now I've read that book, and if you believe anyword his says (which i don't ) you would never buy a car! He bags out just about everything.
Melz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-04-2009, 05:50 PM   #40
TZENU
XY Driv3r

An economy has its ups and downs... I would wait and see before pulling your hair out!
Old 14-04-2009, 05:57 PM   #41
Wally
XP Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave289
............. They went and gave 35 million to toyota but not to ford or holden, so it looks like they are helping to kill the australian car market in more ways than one. ......
How does giving grants to Toyota help kill the Oz car market?
Wally is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-04-2009, 07:07 PM   #42
Quicksand
Lucky, lucky bastard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SB076
Just read an article http://money.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=801092 basically Holden are suggesting the author of the orignial article doesnt have all his facts.
Yer and again here: http://www.news.com.au/business/stor...30-462,00.html

The car industry has come out strong against this guy.
Old 14-04-2009, 07:19 PM   #43
steamin63
old skool

Quote:
Originally Posted by RG
I love it, people bagging out a so called expert for having limited knowledge while drawing their own conclusions on the situation despite having no more knowledge themselves.

Irony much?
i would suggest that some of the people bagging out the so called "expert" have more knowledge of our automotive industry than the "expert" has. don't be so quick to ridicule people because the dare express their opinions. some of them actually know what they are talking about. cheers.
Old 14-04-2009, 07:47 PM   #44
dave289
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wally
How does giving grants to Toyota help kill the Oz car market?
by putting ford and holden behind the eight ball by giving toyota the 35 million, thats how....wally
It should have been granted to ford and holden first, f#9%# toyota.
dave289 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-04-2009, 07:53 PM   #45
alter_EGOXR
BF MKII XR6

Quote:
Originally Posted by duaned
All I can say is go out and splurge on a new aussie made car now, before they are gone for good!
yep well said mate...soon new cars will be fwd pos :(
alter_EGOXR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-04-2009, 07:56 PM   #46
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
by putting ford and holden behind the eight ball by giving toyota the 35 million, thats how....wally
Ford have access to this money (the green car fund), also they have access to many grants from the government. The I6 is subsidised by the government, Ford also got 50million in 06 to keep operations running (and to convert the Falcon to LHD, which was then scrapped).

Ford and Holden get plenty of money from the government so they aren't starved of if....mind you the alloytec was rejected of funding.
Old 14-04-2009, 08:31 PM   #47
last fairlane
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Wink Toyotas $35m

Didnt Mitsubishi get millions from the government back in 2005/6 and promptly closed up shop sacked the workers and pist (my spelling) off back to Japan?
last fairlane is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-04-2009, 08:35 PM   #48
Wally
XP Coupe

Quote:
I can understand you have certain preferences, but how is Toyota less deserving than Ford and Holden? They all have factories here, they are all owned by foreigners, they all employ locals, etc. I would suspect Toyota would sell just as well if they were fully imported and that would be sans local injection of wages and infrastructure.

As I understand it there is 6 billion taxpayer dollars to be shelled out to all three players.
Wally is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-04-2009, 08:43 PM   #49
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by last fairlane
Didnt Mitsubishi get millions from the government back in 2005/6 and promptly closed up shop sacked the workers and pist (my spelling) off back to Japan?

They also gave the workers one of the best payouts in the Australian car industry.
Old 14-04-2009, 09:26 PM   #50
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

bring back higher tariffs, AUSTRALIAN MANUFACTURING +JOBS COME FIRST.
would it be that easy?
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-04-2009, 09:52 PM   #51
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noddy
Quote of a post from Ls1 made by Holden Factory Rep.

[This one is right out of the box! We wouldn't normally offer a view on this sort of thing from the factory but a few basic questions need to be asked.

Firstly, what constitutes an expert? So CMW has published a car book. What else? What data is he basing his views on when happily sounding the death knell for Australian car makers? Has he worked for a car company, been on a car launch or spoken to our executives? No. Does he have access to company business plans? No. Our finances? No. Does he even live in Australia? Um, a Kiwi. So what gives this one person the right to call ‘time’ on an entire industry with more than 60,000 jobs at stake? Shameless self-promotion at our expense is repugnant and should be held up for what it is. For the record, Holden has had the best selling car in the country for 13 consecutive years and we’re not going anywhere. We’re in there fighting in a pretty tough global environment. And luckily, we won’t be discouraged by bystanders.]
Thats all well and good but what will happen to Holden if GM go bankrupt. That is their biggest problem at the moment, not the GFC.

If the US Government takes control of GM, or provides bailout money, they have made it clear they will not send any money overseas. The way I see it is that Holden are now on their own, they will not get a cent more from GM.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-04-2009, 09:59 PM   #52
Windsor220
Now Fordless

There is no way Holden is going down. Ruddster wont allow it. Especially if Ford make it through. (IF!)
Windsor220 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-04-2009, 10:00 PM   #53
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8
Thats all well and good but what will happen to Holden if GM go bankrupt. That is their biggest problem at the moment, not the GFC.

If the US Government takes control of GM, or provides bailout money, they have made it clear they will not send any money overseas. The way I see it is that Holden are now on their own, they will not get a cent more from GM.
If Holden go under it will get hushed and swept under the rug... the first anyone will know is when they drop into their local dealer and its been cleared out to make way for a plant and pottery clearance sale....

Old 14-04-2009, 10:06 PM   #54
Dave_au
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mik
bring back higher tariffs, AUSTRALIAN MANUFACTURING +JOBS COME FIRST.
would it be that easy?
You mean impose a tax people for choosing otherwise (quality/quality + cost/low cost) as our local industry is (alledgedly) inept to provide the same.

I've had enough of Governments trying to dictate what I can and can't do, or what I can or can't afford.
Dave_au is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-04-2009, 10:23 PM   #55
Walt Kowalski
I use brain. Not hip.

He's an x spurt alright.

A Kiwi drip

Should send Walt Kowalski after him
Walt Kowalski is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-04-2009, 10:28 PM   #56
RPO83
ĕm-bär'gō? 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_au
You mean impose a tax people for choosing otherwise (quality/quality + cost/low cost) as our local industry is (alledgedly) inept to provide the same.

I've had enough of Governments trying to dictate what I can and can't do, or what I can or can't afford.
Exactly.
RPO83 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-04-2009, 10:29 PM   #57
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torxteer
There is no way Holden is going down. Ruddster wont allow it. Especially if Ford make it through. (IF!)
You reckon? Plenty of other companies either going os or shutting down. The government can't stop it from happening.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-04-2009, 10:30 PM   #58
GT69
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Well its time to go out and buy that XR you've been looking at boys and girls Dont buy second hand.....new all the way
GT69 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-04-2009, 10:37 PM   #59
Wretched
Render unto Caesar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_au

Amen brother.
You can only build the same kind of car that people are not wanting anymore and become arrogant to the market changes for a small period of time before you begin to lose market share.
Why should I have to buy a barge that I'd never use anyway just to keep someone in work? Why couldn't the locals read the market shift earlier and adjust to it (this includes the need for quality control and better product planning)? Sorry, imports for me until a decent local vehicle that suits my needs comes along.

Last edited by Wretched; 14-04-2009 at 10:42 PM.
Wretched is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-04-2009, 11:29 PM   #60
Ohio XB
Compulsive Hobbiest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munroman
He's an x spurt alright.

A Kiwi drip

Should send Walt Kowalski after him

That gave me a good laugh. GREEEAAATTT movie, even though the Torino was never built in Michigan.....I'll let Clint slide on that one.

I can see Walt Kowalski becoming an iconic character.

"Now go on back to your mama and tell her you were speaking out of your *** again!"

Steve

My XB Interceptor project

Wife's 1966 Mustang

My Artworks and Creative Projects Site
Oil Paintings, Airbrushing, Metal Sculpture,
Custom Cars, Replica Movie Props, Videos,
and more!
Ohio XB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post