Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 20-06-2009, 08:26 PM   #31
Stattic
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by onfire
Yeah, I think he's full of it. Chances are he was hoping you'd go :
" oh no, no V8 in 2010.. I better buy one today! "
that is EXACTLY what i thought
256rwkw

BA manual Typhoon
Fully optioned, 340rwkw@16psi (thanks Bluepower)!

The old ride....
AU Fairmont, cammed beast, R.I.P you made my p plate years bearable!
150.8rwkw courtesy BPR
Stattic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-06-2009, 09:23 PM   #32
Chilliman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr smith
I think XR8 will be absorbed by FPV.
Now that's a thought - a return to the 'badged' XR series, just like when the XR6 & XR8 wore Tickford badges......mmmmmm, there could be more to this than meets the ear?

"Torque is the new horsepower"
Chilliman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-06-2009, 09:28 PM   #33
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

I think some of us here are looking at this with their heart and not their brain's. I was a bit surprissed and shocked when I heard this aswell.
But look at it this way, FPV now can actually become the performance arm that they strive to be. think about it.
galaxy xr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-06-2009, 09:39 PM   #34
Falcon Coupe
Clevo Mafia Inc.

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF over an extended period of time. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Your tireless efforts behind the scenes in keeping AFF the place it is. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxy xr8
I think some of us here are looking at this with their heart and not their brain's.
Using ones brain usually means ignoring Chinese whispers, why stress over hear say ?
Falcon Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-06-2009, 09:59 PM   #35
HSE2

Well fpv did register GS
BREAKING NEWS: The Pity Train has just derailed at the intersection of "Suck It Up & Move On" after it crashed into "We All Have Problems" before coming to a complete stop at "Get the Hell Over It." Reporting LIVE from Quitchur Bitchin'
HSE2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-06-2009, 10:06 PM   #36
Windsor220
Now Fordless

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSE2
Well fpv did register GS
Are you suggesting that FPV will release a lower powered V8 (XR8 replacement) and Ford have no V8 in the lineup?

XR8 is a bit of a Ford icon would be a shame for it to disappear.
Windsor220 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-06-2009, 10:17 PM   #37
burnz
VFII SS UTE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windsor220
Are you suggesting that FPV will release a lower powered V8 (XR8 replacement) and Ford have no V8 in the lineup?

i allways thought it was a tickford icon.
but i suppose xr6=sv6 and xr6t=ss.
burnz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-06-2009, 10:19 PM   #38
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Quote:

Correct...

Rumours are Ford will become the Turbo I6 company, while FPV will focus on V8..
2024.50 Mustang GT 10A Grabber Blue Nite Pony Package. Due Aug 24.
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-06-2009, 10:46 PM   #39
[Tonko]
What's green is gold

Mate, from my experience with dealers... They dont know Shat about the inner workings, especially lowly salesmen. I work with a few dealer principles (from all sorts of companies) and they seem to be more concerned about the all mighty dollar than whats coming in a years time...
Just from my experience anyways.

EF XR8 - Koni's - Cam and Headwork -3.9s - Ex VIC TMU -

1982 Nissan Patrol - 460 ci Big Block soon - Semi Gloss Black - Dark Tint - 4x 6" Infinity Kappa Perfect Splits - 5" Kappa 2 ways - Kappa 6x9's - 2x12" Kappa perfect subs - 2x4 Channel and 2x Mono Kappa amps-

[Tonko] is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-06-2009, 10:50 PM   #40
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfiipursuit
Correct...

If this is the case then FPV is already dead.

There are more B series XR8 sedans and UTES than FPV V8s. Dropping the XR8 models will make the per item cost of the V8 much higher and therefore increase the price of the GT series.

Remember that Telstra and various government and corporate fleets do not buy or offer FPV or HSV products with only a few exceptions.

At $60k-70k++ many potential V8 buyers will just not make it over the line.

They would be severely and probably terminally damaging their own market.
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-06-2009, 10:53 PM   #41
snappy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfiipursuit
Correct...

That would make some sense , How many articles have we read lately that ford not fpv , That ford are concentrating on low capacity motor's with forced induction to meet the power needs but primaraly to make them more fuel effecient.

But i think the salesman was just trying to make a sale.
snappy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-06-2009, 10:59 PM   #42
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 

Personally I can not see this happen, why would they hand the V8 market back to Holden like they did in the 80's. If I remember right coyote is available in NA form with approx 300kw, there is XR8, bolt on SC and there is GT. FPV would require a lot more sales volume than what they have now to fund the development of their own V8. They have not had to do this before because in essence they are just powering up an existing car (the XR8). If Ford pull the plug on the V8, GT range will go with it as I can not see FPV being able to fund all the reliability testing, crash testing, NVH testing etc to release a drivetrain that is unique to them. That would be suicide.

The amusing thing is all this discussion stems from a dopey salesman with no idea that just wants to make a sale, obviously it does not take much.
Old 20-06-2009, 11:09 PM   #43
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

This silly rumour sounds like the 'diesel only Territory' rumour from a while back.

In other words, completely and utterly implausible.
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-06-2009, 11:16 PM   #44
HSE2

Quote:

No. It goes against the foundation of the FPV brand but that doesn't mean it’s not a possibility.

For me if the Xr8 was to go then entire XR brand may as well go with it.

I guess the danger was in the first roll back leaving just the XR8; it makes even the slightest of suggestions on the subject believable. That and we do have a history for it.

It’s that smoke theory. It’s not completely without credibility. It probably has a greater chance of being on the money then not.

But at this point if one salesman is making this claim then they all should be on the same page. We have a number of dealer sponsors on the site and I know one of them looked at this thread.

If this were a misunderstanding or a sales pitch (that has flawed logic) then I would think there would be a gain in support or denial reasonably quickly.

If Ford did decide to drop the V8 it would certainly leave a void that FPV could potentially fill, but killing the XR8 brand would be just dumb. Equally XR8 by FPV would be as dumb.

I will always be an XR boy (lad) I was disappointed when the wings disappeared from the brand. The reasons made no sense what so ever and even less so now that the purpose of FPV appears to be no longer about polishing that big blue oval. FPV has moved on from that mission brief that was struck under Uncle Geoff. It’s more of a self serving entity now and that not to say there is anything wrong with that.
BREAKING NEWS: The Pity Train has just derailed at the intersection of "Suck It Up & Move On" after it crashed into "We All Have Problems" before coming to a complete stop at "Get the Hell Over It." Reporting LIVE from Quitchur Bitchin'

Last edited by HSE2; 20-06-2009 at 11:28 PM.
HSE2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-06-2009, 01:14 AM   #45
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Before the Alloy 5L motors were getting posted on the forum I already heard that the V8 had been signed off (and not the FPV motor). There was apparently one stipulation to the V8 not coming on but I'm not adding to this rumour mill.
Old 21-06-2009, 01:20 AM   #46
Paxton
Cobblers!

This is nothing but a rumour. If Ford Australia could still have used the 3V, and it was more competitive, we would be seeing non-XR8 V8 Falcons. Ford have stated more than once that they want to get a more manstream V8 in Falcon. I thi k a G8E is a logical move, however, the engine would also enable a G8, and an XT spec V8.

Ford will not re-create the 80's.
Roses are red. Violets are blue. OS X rocks. Homage to you.

Last edited by Paxton; 21-06-2009 at 01:22 AM. Reason: My fingers aretoo fat for an iPhone
Paxton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-06-2009, 01:52 AM   #47
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If the XTs sales percentage of 5% is correct, then I cant see the point of a V8 option
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
XR Martin is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-06-2009, 12:00 PM   #48
Falc'man
You dig, we stick!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSE2

It’s that smoke theory. It’s not completely without credibility. It probably has a greater chance of being on the money then not.

But at this point if one salesman is making this claim then they all should be on the same page. We have a number of dealer sponsors on the site and I know one of them looked at this thread.

If this were a misunderstanding or a sales pitch (that has flawed logic) then I would think there would be a gain in support or denial reasonably quickly.
If they (the dealer sponsors) have kept silent it would mean they don't know anything about this rumour, and so have avoided making any unfounded or unwarranted claims. Which tends to make me think this salesman is a good example of the stereotype.

For once Ford have the opportunity to use a competitive V8, that isn't built for a truck but for passenger vehicles, and they decide to leave it out of their line-up? Even if the XR range becomes FPV branded it doesn't mean there won't be an optional 270kW V8 for the G-series and utes. Screw the XT, it's sofa king ugly.
Old 21-06-2009, 01:14 PM   #49
GT69
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I dont think it'll happen. And if it does, It means FORD has lost all touch with there customer base. I dont no the sales % for the XR models (ie XR6 6T and 8) But i would assume (at an out and out guess) the sales split would be about 50% XR6, 20% 6T 30% 8.

As 4Vman's signature implies, FPV sales split is 60/40 in favour of the 8.

The salesman was trying to panic buy you. Even in Feb this year, whilst buying the 6T, I was told that there may not be a 6T after euro 4, as i was looking at holding off until next year at that time.
GT69 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-06-2009, 01:22 PM   #50
Gobes32
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

XR8 sales are less than 200 a month, I have no idea what percentage of XR series sales that works out to.
Gobes32 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-06-2009, 01:23 PM   #51
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Id tend to think the sales split for i6T to V8 is the opposite for Ford compared to FPV, the 6T appeals more to the younger buyer with a limited or conservative budget, probably someone looking to modify as well.
Im hearing the Xr8 is on shakey ground if sales dont improve.. the fate of the V8 in the Ford range is squarely in our, the consumers hands... in much the same way that FPV customers have spoken clearly too..

Old 21-06-2009, 02:41 PM   #52
R-Design
Guess Who's Back?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Vman
Id tend to think the sales split for i6T to V8 is the opposite for Ford compared to FPV, the 6T appeals more to the younger buyer with a limited or conservative budget, probably someone looking to modify as well.
Im hearing the Xr8 is on shakey ground if sales dont improve.. the fate of the V8 in the Ford range is squarely in our, the consumers hands... in much the same way that FPV customers have spoken clearly too..
The FG XR8 model was panned by the motoring press on launch. I seem to remember the comments of "why bother when the XR6T is so good". If the new V8 is worth its salt, the good reviews will come as will the street cred and sales. I'll vote with my dollar when the time comes (as you said, a new FPV is out of the range of some).
R-Design is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-06-2009, 02:42 PM   #53
zx10

Quote:
I think you are spot on with your assumption re 6t to v8 Ford sales. I have no proof though. I still bought the v8 even though the 6t is on paper the better purchase.

Remember that Ford is a business and the purpose of that business is to make money. If they see that the v8 is costing them money why would they continue with it. Times have changed since the 80s, its not all about cubic inches anymore and Ford have captured a fantastic market with the turbo.

To the OP, did the female staff member say anything about the v8 in 2010? Just curious if the whole dealership is selling the same story.

Cheers
Matt

PS I am watching the biante touring cars run around Darwin atm. How many 12-18 year olds (the future motor vehicle purchasers) are doing the same right now?

AU3 XR8 sedan - Manual, Leather, Momo wheel/gear knob
zx10 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-06-2009, 03:06 PM   #54
Dr Smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Unless the salesperson has a family member/close friend directly involved in Ford future product planning/decision making then there is no way they would know anymore then us on this forum. And bear in mind there would also be forum members that have access to the same information source. Most here are hardcore Ford fans and have a degree of interest in Ford products that probably exceeds most Ford dealer sales staff unless they are forum members as well. When buying my G6ET I knew more about the future update Terry then the salesman and I bought in June '08. And he was no dummy either.

As a current owner of a G6ET not up for replacement until mid 2011 I have been mulling over would I buy a turbo G6E again or if there was an identical V8 version would I buy the V8. If performance was identical and economy not too great a difference and an alloy V8 would provide a more closely aligned chassis balance to the I6T, then I would probably buy the V8 because it would offer the "sound" I so love from this engine configuration. The G6ET is a fabulous car, the best I've owned and I'd prefer a fully loaded luxury model with performance engine to a performance model with optional luxury features (i.e. optioned up XR8). The perfect Ford world would be having the choice.

p.s. If Ford can get the plant to 100-120K cars per year made up of Falcon derivatives, Focus derivatives & Terry then that's the best they could hope for.
Dr Smith is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-06-2009, 03:18 PM   #55
Dr Smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
That's true re consumers controlling the future product planning however if the V8 was as good a drive, and I mean only dynamically then maybe the I6 turbo split wouldn't probably favour the turbo. It's almost history repeating itself, no V8 wagon because no-one bought it, or a Fairmont wagon, no V8 G-series because no-one bought the V8 Fairmont Ghia. Only probelm is why buy the V8 Ghia when the Holden V8 was 40-50Kw better, or the I6T was more powerful and had a better chassis balance. I'd accept the most likely arguement put forward by the bean-counters in the company if the V8's were similar in power at the time and then no-one bought them, or the performance between turbo and V8 was similar in the early days.
Dr Smith is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-06-2009, 03:30 PM   #56
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zx10
I think you are spot on with your assumption re 6t to v8 Ford sales. I have no proof though. I still bought the v8 even though the 6t is on paper the better purchase.

Remember that Ford is a business and the purpose of that business is to make money. If they see that the v8 is costing them money why would they continue with it. Times have changed since the 80s, its not all about cubic inches anymore and Ford have captured a fantastic market with the turbo.

To the OP, did the female staff member say anything about the v8 in 2010? Just curious if the whole dealership is selling the same story.

Cheers
Matt

PS I am watching the biante touring cars run around Darwin atm. How many 12-18 year olds (the future motor vehicle purchasers) are doing the same right now?
No she didn't.
Old 21-06-2009, 03:42 PM   #57
snappy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The facts are that the inline 6t is faster ,handles better and has better economy to boot .
The Boss motor only positive is what it can sound better if you purchase a aftermarket exhaust.
Now im no genius but smart enough to work out why xr8 sales may be struggling.
ba-bf sales would spell a better story when performance and economy was pretty much on par .
If the v8 is canned its because its out gunned period . Even the playing feild a little and i think th v8 will be the sucessor .
Old 21-06-2009, 03:43 PM   #58
snappy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Galaxy xr8 is this dealer Brian Dunn
Old 21-06-2009, 03:48 PM   #59
Jason[98.EL]
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by snappy84
The facts are that the inline 6t is faster ,handles better and has better economy to boot .
The Boss motor only positive is what it can sound better if you purchase a aftermarket exhaust.
Now im no genius but smart enough to work out why xr8 sales may be struggling.
ba-bf sales would spell a better story when performance and economy was pretty much on par .
If the v8 is canned its because its out gunned period . Even the playing feild a little and i think th v8 will be the sucessor .
not that i am in the position to buy but my 2c worth here

these days there is a small market for V8 buyers due to the fuel pricing ect

if i was in the position to buy a new car it would be a V8 due to needing a good reliable tow vehicle

I do hope that ford au dont drop the V8 again it will be like the 80'sGATE all over again

that is the time that hurt ford au and dont wish it to happen again

Jason

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Jason[98.EL] is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-06-2009, 03:54 PM   #60
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by snappy84
Galaxy xr8 is this dealer Brian Dunn
We only have one Ford dealer here in Bendigo, and that's them.