Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 26-08-2010, 03:55 PM   #31
glavas

ill never understand whats so good about "EURO CARS" i swear its just the name and the big price tags. why would i buy the cheapest bmw/audi whatever when for the same price i can buy the best hsv i just dont see a comparasion. but if i was loaded i surpose i would buy a porche cayane turbo or a rolls royce phantom.

gts,maloo,grange even a f6 is were its at for me.
glavas is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-08-2010, 04:01 PM   #32
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My dad had a HSV Grange, and it was a pile of poo in build quality. I could easily see someone taking a C Class for refinement and quality even if it lacked power and size. I haven't seen woodgrain stickers stuck over panels on a Mercedes.
chevypower is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-08-2010, 05:05 PM   #33
smoo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevypower
My dad had a HSV Grange, and it was a pile of poo in build quality. I could easily see someone taking a C Class for refinement and quality even if it lacked power and size. I haven't seen woodgrain stickers stuck over panels on a Mercedes.
I have a W140 Mercedes S Class at the moment and I have to pull off the front door card this weekend. I could whip my AU engine out quicker, Mercedes dealers charge 3 hrs for door card removal/replace, these things are built like tanks, quality an Aussie or jappa doesn't have, and this makes a first impression when getting into the car. As for the fulla who doesn't see the deal with Euro cars, Holden when designing the VE had the E39 5 series BMW (launched in 1995) as a guide. That pretty much sums it up.
smoo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-08-2010, 05:25 PM   #34
tranquilized
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal
Yeap you would be insane not to buy a G6ET at that price.

The G6ET is a good option if you only consider the car/upfront price equation, but if I had $45k to spend on a large sporty sedan I'd probably be looking at second hand euros as well, simply because they've already done the bulk of their depreciating. You run the risk of servicing costs vs 3 year warranty on a new Ford, but if you buy well and look after it, you'll come out in front every time.

Last edited by tranquilized; 26-08-2010 at 05:32 PM.
tranquilized is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-08-2010, 09:06 PM   #35
Seduce XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoney!
Um if you read it properly i was talking about the 3.6L six in the R36, I know they do the dash to 100 in approx 5.6s....

Stoney!
I had no trouble understanding what you meant myself & was going to post a reply to Polywaffle myself lol though you saved me the trouble
Seduce XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-08-2010, 09:10 PM   #36
Seduce XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I love Fords myself but for all those wondering why you would buy a Euro over a Ford

1: Build quality
2: Economy (specially the diesels)
3: Cost to maintain over time as yes things do wear out on say a Passat but things rarely fail (Quality control & design better).
4: Insurance cost (compared to Turbo)

And maybe not everyone wants a super fast car either such as a G6ET
Old 26-08-2010, 11:20 PM   #37
zetec
Zoom Zoom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seduce XR6
I love Fords myself but for all those wondering why you would buy a Euro over a Ford

3: Cost to maintain over time as yes things do wear out on say a Passat but things rarely fail (Quality control & design better).

Thus a Euro Ford Diesel with excellent handling, features to dream of and within the stated budget! Mondeo is a SERIOUSLY good car worth taking for a test drive at least.
Old 26-08-2010, 11:50 PM   #38
AussieAV

I'd be considering a 6 - 7 year old Audi A8. Would need to research maintenance cost, likelyhood of major repair etc. you so know whether you might be up for a second mortgage or not.

These were around $200K new and have got some serious kit. I believe some even came with solar panels that helped to keep the aircon ticking over, so that you didn't return to your car impersonating an oven in summer.

Here is one near your budget

http://www.carsales.com.au/all-cars/...s=24&silo=1011
Originally Posted by flappist
Some people drive to go places others go places to drive.......
AussieAV is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-08-2010, 11:57 PM   #39
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zetec
Thus a Euro Ford Diesel with excellent handling, features to dream of and within the stated budget! Mondeo is a SERIOUSLY good car worth taking for a test drive at least.
There's a reason the euro Fords do so well over there, and a well respected.
Old 27-08-2010, 12:05 AM   #40
drew`SEVNT5
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

Id go the Skoda vRS or Passat over either of those, IMO.

The future M-I-L has a new TDCi Focus... and well, its not the best put together thing, handles well, but is harsh and feels slow compared to other modern diesels....

And is on its 3rd auto box in 25,000kms.

-2011 Nissan 370z Coupe (6M)-
-2006 Husqvarna SMRR450-
drew`SEVNT5 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-08-2010, 12:12 AM   #41
MexicanBatman
Banned

Had a workmate want. To buy an e55 amg. He brought an fg xr8

But whilst I talked him out of it I did some basic research into the e55 and can't remember the exact details now but replace balljoints is a $12,000 job
MexicanBatman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-08-2010, 01:21 AM   #42
SteveJH
No longer a Uni student..

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew`SEVNT5
The future M-I-L has a new TDCi Focus... and well, its not the best put together thing, handles well, but is harsh and feels slow compared to other modern diesels....

And is on its 3rd auto box in 25,000kms.
Arent the Focus's we get here built in South Africa with the exception of the XR5 and now the RS?
SteveJH is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-08-2010, 02:45 AM   #43
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoo
I have a W140 Mercedes S Class at the moment and I have to pull off the front door card this weekend. I could whip my AU engine out quicker, Mercedes dealers charge 3 hrs for door card removal/replace, these things are built like tanks, quality an Aussie or jappa doesn't have, and this makes a first impression when getting into the car. As for the fulla who doesn't see the deal with Euro cars, Holden when designing the VE had the E39 5 series BMW (launched in 1995) as a guide. That pretty much sums it up.
BMW had the "Hofmeister Kink" in the design of the C-pillar/rear door. None of the other Germans copied it, but many manufacturers around the world copied this design. Whenever people look at it, they call it "world class" but they don't know why. The FG Falcon has it, but the new Taurus does not. The VE Commodore also has it. It's just a copy of this design. Ford and GM in the US have it on Buicks and Lincolns, but not on the regular Ford and Chevy.
http://www.newmediacampaigns.com/pag...-design-detail
chevypower is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-08-2010, 05:56 AM   #44
Seduce XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Yes I have already posted a link
Old 27-08-2010, 08:31 AM   #45
mcnews
Trev

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Trev has owned several boosted fords and has really contributed a lot of info on them. His posts in the bike section are also very helpful. I think he should be recognised as a technical contributor. 

Did a 150km in a Mondeo this week actually. Not too bad I guess. But felt very soft at the front and the suspension tune felt all wrong for Aussie roads. Auto gearbox and engine were uninspiring. They look okay though and have a huge boot.
Old 27-08-2010, 08:55 AM   #46
atec77
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewg6e

But whilst I talked him out of it I did some basic research into the e55 and can't remember the exact details now but replace balljoints is a $12,000 job
Oh dear
do you have a cite or is my first response accurate ?
atec77 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-08-2010, 09:58 AM   #47
Boosh Brus

Quote:
Doubt it. You can buy aftermarket ball joints for $60.
Boosh Brus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-08-2010, 11:16 AM   #48
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

And to replace the brake pads and rotors on a GT-E with genuine FPV parts is how much?
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-08-2010, 11:28 AM   #49
Polyal
The 'Stihl' Man
Donating Member2

Quote:

A liitle bit of self control is all that is required no one is asking you to drive fast.

The point of a near new car is the warranty. Unless you want to buy an old sporty euro to try and impress your mates, just don't mention the running costs
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-08-2010, 11:57 AM   #50
BA GT-HO
Bring back Ambrose!

Quote:

Utter bollocks.

You have robbed the bloke of owning an awesome car.
BA GT-HO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-08-2010, 12:16 PM   #51
BroncosXR8
Soldier on

I know its not in your price range, but for $60,000 there was a C55 AMG on carsales last week. You know the one with the supercharged 5.5L.

Oh how much I wanted to go see the bank man haha :(
BroncosXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-08-2010, 12:19 PM   #52
Seduce XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
A liitle bit of self control is all that is required no one is asking you to drive fast.

The point of a near new car is the warranty. Unless you want to buy an old sporty euro to try and impress your mates, just don't mention the running costs
Geez you have missed the mark yet again in the same thread lol

When I said not everybody wants a superfast car I meant a car that can go superfast or is powerful to put it another way & never thought anybody would take what I wrote to mean a person driving fast lol

Yes you can drive a G6ET slow & not use the power you have but then whats the point of owning it lol

You may as well have a car that is slower by a 3 or so seconds but has better build quality & economy.

And I never suggested an old Euro either as my link actually goes to New/ Demo Passats so do agree a new or newer car would be better than a 10 year old one lol

But yes a Mondeo is also a nice car & a Euro to be honest as well just not a full on Euro such as a Passat
Old 27-08-2010, 01:06 PM   #53
MexicanBatman
Banned

Ok I'm slightly mistaken, but the car he was looking at had a minor issue, I can't remember now, still drove fine but I looked into it for him and it was something insane like that... He is happier than a pig in **** with his FG xr8, and so he should be it looks fantastic, just needs to modify it for speed though
MexicanBatman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-08-2010, 02:24 PM   #54
Polyal
The 'Stihl' Man
Donating Member2

Quote:
Geez you have missed the mark yet again in the same thread lol

When I said not everybody wants a superfast car I meant a car that can go superfast or is powerful to put it another way & never thought anybody would take what I wrote to mean a person driving fast lol

Yes you can drive a G6ET slow & not use the power you have but then whats the point of owning it lol

You may as well have a car that is slower by a 3 or so seconds but has better build quality & economy.

And I never suggested an old Euro either as my link actually goes to New/ Demo Passats so do agree a new or newer car would be better than a 10 year old one lol

But yes a Mondeo is also a nice car & a Euro to be honest as well just not a full on Euro such as a Passat
Ok your nitpicking now, I did misread stony's original post, it happens from time to time; big deal.

I dont know what you expect on a fordforum. That money buys a brand new(near enough) Ford Mondeo Diesel of some description or a demo G6ET.

If this car is for a daily then the majority of sane people would get something that ticks the boxs and gives them a warranty.

You might be able to get a very nice secondhand BMW et al, it might use a mili-litre/100 less fuel than a Ford but all those savings are gone as soon as anything half major is required to get fixed.

If it was a once a week and on the weekends car then yeah, go nuts as it wont matter as much.

As for the not using a G6ET to its full potential, its marketed as a luxury car not a sports car, so driving it like miss daisy actually fits in with its segment. The average age for the owners of those cars would be 40 and up, just like it was with the old Fairmont Ghias. That may have come down a tad since the turbo inception but it wouldn't be far off.

Its not like every Ferrari owner hits the track, most are spent cruising cafe strips.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-08-2010, 08:59 PM   #55
Seduce XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Ok your nitpicking now, I did misread stony's original post, it happens from time to time; big deal.

I dont know what you expect on a fordforum. That money buys a brand new(near enough) Ford Mondeo Diesel of some description or a demo G6ET.

If this car is for a daily then the majority of sane people would get something that ticks the boxs and gives them a warranty.

You might be able to get a very nice secondhand BMW et al, it might use a mili-litre/100 less fuel than a Ford but all those savings are gone as soon as anything half major is required to get fixed.

If it was a once a week and on the weekends car then yeah, go nuts as it wont matter as much.

As for the not using a G6ET to its full potential, its marketed as a luxury car not a sports car, so driving it like miss daisy actually fits in with its segment. The average age for the owners of those cars would be 40 and up, just like it was with the old Fairmont Ghias. That may have come down a tad since the turbo inception but it wouldn't be far off.

Its not like every Ferrari owner hits the track, most are spent cruising cafe strips.
I expect very little from a Ford Forum from many of the Members lol

What do you expect?

A Mondeo diesel makes sense in the question asked by the op however why a G6ET as a G6E would still have plenty of power, better economy & also the same Luxury would it not?

With the Turbo they are a weapon plain & simple no matter how they are marketed.

It is not about hitting the track either it is about using the power of the turbo engine on the street while still not going over the speed limit & in traffic while you are a sedate driver, if the op likes to drive fast mostly then why a Euro lol

He did not ask about an Aussie car under 45k did he?

It only matters to me as your response to the comment you misread was all high & mighty not to mention insulting to the member who's post it was while all along you did not even read the 2 lines correctly so who was stoned lol

Did you even say sorry mate to him?

And who said anything about some old BMW, I posted a link to 2010 Passats lol

Night now Polywaffle

Last edited by Seduce XR6; 27-08-2010 at 09:07 PM.
Old 27-08-2010, 10:53 PM   #56
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'd go for a 2004 BMW 540 E39. It's a 4.4L V8 and you can pick them up for $30-40,000.

I am concidering buying one myself one day.

Or an Old 1990-97 Bmw 8 series..... but there goes the bank account if I did. They are expensive to fix and have quite a few problems.... but that's ok if it's not a daily drive.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-08-2010, 02:34 AM   #57
calais
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

As a teenager, I managed to score a job as an offsider to an Audi Master Tech. This guy used to do jobs on the side/after hours to supplement his income, and I was there to clean tools, parts, the workshop and run diagnostics on the cars while he was up to his elbows in german machinery.

Some jobs were a right nightmare. Others were stupidly easy.

For example, early Audi V8's had the cam belts at the rear of the block/head assembly, a cam belt change necessitated the removal of the engine. Not a cool job. circa $5000 after hours..... if you were paying dealership rates add a few grand.

Anything with air suspension wasn't kind in its old age, and a refit with conventional suspension never left any change after $2500 after having to upload programs to disable the electronic functions of the central CPU and find the suitable new parts.

However, somethings are apsolutely unreal to do on these cars, like a fuel pump was never more than a $200 job, and seldom ever came up.

Spark Plugs in most of the Audi gear were bosch platinums, and with proper servicing and running on PULP 100,000km is the expected life. $20 each to replace anyways.

I guess my point is, If you can find an honest tech, with the specialist tools at his disposal in which to specialise on a particular marque, owning a Euro can be a truly rewarding experience, if thats what floats your boat.

Its no different to owning a Japanese car..... you should have a peek into any Subaru or Honda workshop and tell me the number of specialist tools on the shadowboard wouldn't scare the hell out of any potential owner 10 years down the track!
calais is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-08-2010, 09:10 AM   #58
RAREV8
Previously ScottishXC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoney!
maybe a used VW R36, if I recall 0-100 from the 3.6 is roughly the same as the XR8.... and looks great to boot!

Stoney!

God they are quick....I was overtaken in my FG XR6 like it was standing still! I know the XR6 isnt that quick but I was impressed by the nimbleness of the VW- it is not a small car either. Beautiful in black too and whilst I understand the concerns of some with servicing, I have hardly been impressed by Ford Australias service costs over the last few years!

BJ
Gilesie
XAGTCoupe
Pilch
Aussie_afroman
Donut King
Bad Boy Benny
BAWITHLOT
Greenmachine
Pinkbits
CUZ351
OhioXB
Falconunbelievable
4VXC
Uncleraggy

FG G6 Ego, tech pack, Tropic gold 1973 Landau, Cosmic blue 1975 P5 LTD....long term project
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Vman
Im just bored of the single/narrow minded...
RAREV8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-08-2010, 09:27 AM   #59
b2tf
not here much anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordomatic
what euro cars would be available to me in this price range? i would like it to be 2006 or newer but to be honest i have no idea what sort of options i have. it needs to have style and a little power, im coming out of a BAXR8. i would like it to have around the same power as the xr8. i will more than likely head to the auctions for this one as its allot cheaper in doing so. cheers for the reply's.
Honda Accord Euro 6 speed manual gets my vote. Got one and it really is a great car to drive.

Your budget will get you into a brand new one with change too.
Old 28-08-2010, 04:53 PM   #60
calais
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by b2tf
Honda Accord Euro 6 speed manual gets my vote. Got one and it really is a great car to drive.

Your budget will get you into a brand new one with change too.
Even if the Accord Euro, is a Euro in name only, they sure are one hell of a nice car to drive.

When I was looking to buy new though, they were well and truly out of my budget.
calais is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post