Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 06-12-2010, 06:58 PM   #31
XR_6falcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by XWGT
and get done for 126kph...........by an aerial speed check!

How does an aerial speed check even work??

Smoke tyres, not drugs
XR_6falcon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-12-2010, 07:06 PM   #32
nstg8a

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR_6falcon
How does an aerial speed check even work??
times you between two fixed points on the road.
nstg8a is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-12-2010, 07:35 PM   #33
302 XC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I dont understand this "High powered fast car" thing

My 3 tonne 4x4 has been at speeds of 140Ks plus,the 3t 4x4 diesel before that has been at those speeds as well
The ol diesel 4x4 was non turbo and certainly isnt the fasted or most powerfull 4x4 out there
They are and were both bought for there towing capabilities
So the high powered thing doesnt wash,sorry
Surely any half brain would know to accelorate from 90-95-100Ks with the hammer down will get ya over the limit and in the danger zone very quickly
At which point did ya mate bother to check his speed ???

As is mentioned in this thread,its not the car that does the damage its the knuckle head behind the wheel

So your mates not fine with walking or public transport,
How would the person he may have hit feel if they were wheel chair bound for life

edit
Mate got hit on his motorbike from the rear by someone who didnt see him
The driver of the car copped a fine and licence suspension
Mate is now a Quadraplegic
Driver does not contribute towards anything from the damage he incured

Last edited by 302 XC; 06-12-2010 at 07:41 PM.
302 XC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-12-2010, 08:04 PM   #34
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Speeding around other cars is dangerous. But in the middle of no where with not another car in sight and good visibility breaking the limit a bit is not very dangerous at all. Couple weeks ago I may of got done at a mobile speed camera. Straight road, No side streets, not a moving car in sight, clear weather and may of been doing 10 over. If so I can say goodbye to 4 or 5 points for doing nothing very dangouours at all. If it was rainy and there was cars everywhere and I was coming around a bend then fair enough, but it was the complete opposite.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-12-2010, 08:26 PM   #35
bingoTE50
Steve

The OP said his mate was overtaking a couple of cars and boats doing less than the speed limit .( 4 cars) The point is ,shall he only accelerate up to 100km/h and take hundreds of metres rounding them up , or, as I do ,boot it and get around asap to limit any probs.
I suppose he could have sat behind them ,this was an option as well !!!

As far as owning fast cars goes ,most small cars can top 160 k's these days ,so in my opinion ,the speed limits do not dictate to me what I should drive.But indirectly ,rego cost,insurance costs,and ultimately fuel costs ,will make that decision for me .
bingoTE50 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-12-2010, 08:32 PM   #36
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ST
146 is considerably over any Vic speed limit. While I don't necessarily agree with speed limits in vic if he is overtaking at that speed he is either going way too hard or overtaking cars already well above the limit.
hahaha, way too fast?? We were doing those speeds 40 years ago on cross-ply tyres, leaf spring suspension, and drum brakes on dirt roads... Still stunned I have never had a speeding ticket, ever.
Brazen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-12-2010, 08:52 PM   #37
fmc351
let it burn

This thread is a wonderful argument for anyone supporting the banning of anything with more grunt than a Pfaff sowing machine.
fmc351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-12-2010, 09:10 PM   #38
ST
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brazen
hahaha, way too fast?? We were doing those speeds 40 years ago on cross-ply tyres, leaf spring suspension, and drum brakes on dirt roads... Still stunned I have never had a speeding ticket, ever.
You have completely misinterpreted my post.

I said way too hard, not way too fast. As in he would've had to of put some form of effort in order to exceed the speed limit by that extent, or at least noticed the difference on his speedometer.

I also said I don't necessarily agree with the speed limits imposed on us here in Vic.
Old 06-12-2010, 09:21 PM   #39
Neale
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

if you want to go fast go do a track day.

Heres a comparo,

I got done speeding on Mountain Straight, Mount Panoramma, (yes a race track but also a public road) last month, I was overtaking a slower car that speed up when I went to pass them. Anyway I stuffed up. My bad. That cost me $361

If you get a LS2 CAMS licence you can do private practice days at almost any racetrack in aus. Go as fast as you want all day at Eastern Creek for $135 a day.

Suddenly track days are pretty cheap
Neale is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-12-2010, 09:22 PM   #40
TheInterceptor
Cruising...

Haha, my soob has around 52kw at the flywheel. It still made it to 120 once.

I go hard out on the highway on hills, it actually slows down not speeds up......
But thats ok, the falcon makes up for it.... it eats up the highway like nothing

Subaru Outback '02
TheInterceptor is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-12-2010, 09:36 PM   #41
TheInterceptor
Cruising...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neale
I got done speeding on Mountain Straight, Mount Panoramma, (yes a race track but also a public road) last month, I was overtaking a slower car that speed up when I went to pass them. Anyway I stuffed up. My bad. That cost me $361
Mate you think thats bad...try being nicked doing 110 (i think, it wasen't me by the way). I think it was a $1600 fine and enough points to make your eyes water.

First its a racetrack, concrete walls and sandtraps everywhere. No side road's (there's driveways but you cant hit them going the right way)
No pedestrians (apart from Constable Kodak at the very top of Conrod straight with his little radar gun behind the concrete wall and tree overhang...)
So theres no way that penalty is justified. I get that Mt Panorama is a 60 zone to stop people going nuts and it is a two way, but we're talking a very long empty straight with concrete barriers....

Subaru Outback '02
TheInterceptor is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-12-2010, 10:00 PM   #42
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grobbo
And it's not like you can have any fun cutting loose below the speed limit either - hoon laws will have your car on a flatbed in no time...

So where do you enjoy the power 'worry free' then? At the strip? Is it really worth paying heaps for insurance, fuel, mods etc etc just for the occassional 13 or so seconds of fun?
I've had more of my share of quick cars and my next one will probably be another quick one - but at 40, I drive like a freakin' grandpa most of the time. I don't strip or track it and apart from an exhaust, I don't normally mod them. I just like the fact that I strap myself into a car that can break the speed limit in 5.5 seconds. The odd blat is enough to put a smile on my face.
Rodp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-12-2010, 11:10 PM   #43
Rev28K
re

Location: Victoria - where being slow & incompetent is considered being "safe"

My road car will get near a V8 Falcon or Commodore on lap times. It makes up for a lack of grunt by being a bit better at handling and braking.

While I am very, very rarely near 10/10ths on the road. I very much appreciate being able to outbrake and outhandle the average car, and the track experience has helped compared to the average "get a license and do nothing to improve my skills ever/believe that if I drive below the speed limit that is all I need to do to be a safe driver" motorist.

Quick cars and their enhanced braking and handling in a road car for me anyday thank you.
Scuderia Rev: Otto the tow pig - 2007 3.0 litre Coupé, vernünftig schnelle aber kein peilstab, Bathurst 2007 und 2010 zwölf Stunde Gewinner Jaffa the angry ant - mid 70's Honda 市民の, 73 と立方インチ LSD Elle "the body" shell - early 70's Datsun フェアレディ coupe. いい体は彼女の内側、内側と土台を待つ
Rev28K is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-12-2010, 11:57 PM   #44
Matt47569
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

glad where i live i mostly drive on quieter suburban roads where i can generally drive how i want (no big freeways etc).. had license for 2 and a half years, drive everyday and have never gotten in my car and not sped. only have 1 fine for something stupid like 60 in 50.. so count myself lucky it wasnt worse. never speed through intersections and always on the look out for suss cars parked on the side of the road. very careful about it

i see 1 fine every year or 2 as a small price to pay

some may or may not agree with my logic
Old 07-12-2010, 12:13 AM   #45
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geez Louise
126 IS a bit excessive in a 100 zone.

Easy to do yes, but to try and justify it as okay is like saying having that extra drink that put you a little bit over is okay too.
For many years I wondered just how you Victorians got yourselves into such a guilt ridden nanny state.

The more I read on here the more obvious it becomes.

What makes a road "100km/h" limit other than a sign?
How is it that going faster than that sign is instantly dangerous?

And if this sign is so accurate and suitable why is exactly the same sign on multi-lane freeways as dirt tracks.....

Victoria has almost all of the speed cameras, the harshest most heavily enforced road rules and what appears to be the most submissive car owners yet has about the same average road toll as everywhere else.

How can that be?
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-12-2010, 12:30 AM   #46
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

Flappist best post of the thread.....and they voted for Kevin Cant
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet. Abraham Lincoln"
FTE217 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-12-2010, 12:49 AM   #47
Danny
GT4.

An involutary foot spasm after a large fart had me in the F6 pushing 165.. it was awesome..
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-12-2010, 02:35 AM   #48
FgNewbie
Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt47569
glad where i live i mostly drive on quieter suburban roads where i can generally drive how i want (no big freeways etc).. had license for 2 and a half years, drive everyday and have never gotten in my car and not sped. only have 1 fine for something stupid like 60 in 50.. so count myself lucky it wasnt worse. never speed through intersections and always on the look out for suss cars parked on the side of the road. very careful about it

i see 1 fine every year or 2 as a small price to pay

some may or may not agree with my logic
So many thoughts, so few words. The mind boggles.
FgNewbie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-12-2010, 08:26 AM   #49
mrbaxr6t
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

poor road design with sparse short overtaking lanes makes you look like an ahole when you pass some twat that is traveling way below the limit at the limit, if you do this you are the only car that gets past and every other car behind you gets stuck at 80 or whatever speed the grey nomad deems is safe given their vehicle/caravan combination, due to the short overtaking lane and the train of cars stuck behind the slow vehicle most blast past to allow for more than one car to pass the slow mover, this road design is pretty much a "perfect storm" in terms of speeding and license loss regardless of how fast your vehicle is as every car on the road can do 140kmh, this thread has touched on pi$$ poor road design and maintenance this is why you have the opinion of "why bother" I personally sent letters to the political candidates when we had the state election outlining the stupidity of road design that gets deployed in Victoria and speed cameras fixed and mobile I am yet to hear a response, too bad if I was going to use said response to choose whom to vote for huh...

Holden special vehicles - for special people
mrbaxr6t is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-12-2010, 10:49 AM   #50
Grobbo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodp
I've had more of my share of quick cars and my next one will probably be another quick one - but at 40, I drive like a freakin' grandpa most of the time. I don't strip or track it and apart from an exhaust, I don't normally mod them. I just like the fact that I strap myself into a car that can break the speed limit in 5.5 seconds. The odd blat is enough to put a smile on my face.
I think I agree with you the most of anyone.

I prob will get a V8 next, but maybe an auto this time, open up the exhaust a bit and listen to it slurring away 99.9% of the time, then allow myself the odd burst of acceleration and hope like hell I get away with it... :-)
Grobbo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-12-2010, 10:49 AM   #51
David222
Starting out with the V8

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
For many years I wondered just how you Victorians got yourselves into such a guilt ridden nanny state.

The more I read on here the more obvious it becomes.

What makes a road "100km/h" limit other than a sign?
How is it that going faster than that sign is instantly dangerous?

And if this sign is so accurate and suitable why is exactly the same sign on multi-lane freeways as dirt tracks.....

Victoria has almost all of the speed cameras, the harshest most heavily enforced road rules and what appears to be the most submissive car owners yet has about the same average road toll as everywhere else.

How can that be?
Flappist for PM!

The government, RTA and police fixation on speed being the cause of all evil is just uncanny.

Government have managed to brainwash such a large percentage of the population into believing that the same magic safe number applies when it's 36 degrees bright and sunny visibility as far as the eye can see, as when it's pouring rain in the middle of the night, with reduced visibility and grip.

The limit should vary with the conditions, instead of trying to cater for the lowest common denominator all the time. Problem with people, being brainwashed that speed is the cause of all problems is that they think cause they are under the magic number that they are driving safely and can come to no harm, and cause no harm, as such they become complacent and do things they would not otherwise do while driving. Eg. tailgating, texting on phones, make up, breakfast, the list goes on.

Unfortunately this complacency the focus on speed has created is the last thing needed behind the wheel of any motor car. Speed is only a measurement of distance travelled/time which is only 1 component of driving safely the way all the nannies carry on you would think it was an all encompassing measure of how a vehicle is being driven. Up till now it's the only component the government has worked out how to make any serious revenue out of because of the ease of measuring it.
His: 2015 FGX XR8 Kinetic
David222 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-12-2010, 10:53 AM   #52
Grobbo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by bingoTE50
The OP said his mate was overtaking a couple of cars and boats doing less than the speed limit .( 4 cars) The point is ,shall he only accelerate up to 100km/h and take hundreds of metres rounding them up , or, as I do ,boot it and get around asap to limit any probs.
I suppose he could have sat behind them ,this was an option as well !!!

As far as owning fast cars goes ,most small cars can top 160 k's these days ,so in my opinion ,the speed limits do not dictate to me what I should drive.But indirectly ,rego cost,insurance costs,and ultimately fuel costs ,will make that decision for me .
Thanks for pointing that out, the guy's not really a hoon and drives through the country a lot, had a clean licence too I think.

I think the question is, would he have even bothered passing a row of cars and trailers in a lesser powered car? Maybe not. Then maybe he'd still have his licence...

But, he'd be bored anyway with his crap car... :-)
Old 07-12-2010, 10:59 AM   #53
Grobbo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by David222
Flappist for PM!

The government, RTA and police fixation on speed being the cause of all evil is just uncanny.

Government have managed to brainwash such a large percentage of the population into believing that the same magic safe number applies when it's 36 degrees bright and sunny visibility as far as the eye can see, as when it's pouring rain in the middle of the night, with reduced visibility and grip.

The limit should vary with the conditions, instead of trying to cater for the lowest common denominator all the time. Problem with people, being brainwashed that speed is the cause of all problems is that they think cause they are under the magic number that they are driving safely and can come to no harm, and cause no harm, as such they become complacent and do things they would not otherwise do while driving. Eg. tailgating, texting on phones, make up, breakfast, the list goes on.

Unfortunately this complacency the focus on speed has created is the last thing needed behind the wheel of any motor car. Speed is only a measurement of distance travelled/time which is only 1 component of driving safely the way all the nannies carry on you would think it was an all encompassing measure of how a vehicle is being driven. Up till now it's the only component the government has worked out how to make any serious revenue out of because of the ease of measuring it.
I saw once on telly they had a Road Saftey expert saying it was distraction that caused more accidents, not speed.

They had quite a compelling arguement and the cops had nothing to counter it aside from thier usual 'speed is a factor in the majority of accidents'...

But then they discovered that the coppas will say speed is a factor in as many crashes as possible, even if the cars were below the speed limit.

It's a big statistical con.
Old 07-12-2010, 11:06 AM   #54
XWGT