Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 13-03-2012, 06:36 PM   #31
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 
Default Re: Blowing tires

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insider
Well if you call driving a B Double between Sydney and Brisbane city and freeway driving then good for you, A good driver slows down if they see an obstruction on the road.
Yeah, nah...

I hope your post count stays at 4...

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-03-2012, 07:19 PM   #32
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

I just got my Focus lowered on Friday, today on the way home from work I smash underneath the front left wheel on a speed hump, 5 minutes later my speedo starts jumping around, then my ABS and traction control lights are staying on and my front left wheel is clicking.

The funny thing is if I had gone over the speed hump normally, instead of trying to avoid it and do the smart *** thing, I'd be fine.

Go me!
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-03-2012, 07:32 PM   #33
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikked
All wheels are balanced when a new tired is fitted, sometimes if the tire was popped in this tipe of incident, the rim would be spun before the tire is put on.
yes you`d like to think the rims are checked properly for run out, i`d be giving them a run with a dial gauge .
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-03-2012, 08:06 PM   #34
svo supporter
Fixing Ford's **** ups

Quote:
Comes down to poor driving if you can see a pot hole coming up and slow down in time unless it was on the other side of a crest or on a blind curve , go sit your driving test again.

Intelligent person you are.

Country driving is alot different to city driving pal....In the city, there is traffic and plenty of it.....So swerving to miss potholes causes accidents because there are cars close by....Either driving the same way or in the opposite direction.

Even slowing down causes accidents.

Being high up in a truck, there is the benefit of seeing well ahead...Being in a car, you can't see as far ahead.

How do I know. I drive all sorts of different vehicles....Cars, light trucks and vans and you get to know which vehicles you can see the best out of.
svo supporter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-03-2012, 08:16 PM   #35
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

A lot of the people I've spoken to who have damaged a wheel have done so on the inside edge. If you look at modern large mag wheels, they seem to have the spokes and apparently all the "support" at the outer face, with a long area of wheel rim going towards the inside of the car with no spokes bracing it.

I guess it's because modern wheel and car design puts the hub right out with the wheel nuts almost flush with the face of the wheel, instead of having some offset with the bolting face about halfway into the wheel.
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-03-2012, 09:19 PM   #36
f1tzy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thats how mine was damaged. A massive flat spot on the inside egde of the rim with 2 large tear marks on either sidewall of the tire
f1tzy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-03-2012, 10:48 PM   #37
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i saw 2 cars today while in a car park today with damaged rims, one a commy with just average wheels/tyres not really low profiles, the other was a small front wheel drive hyundai with again an average rim/tyre not really low profile, the wheel damage on both the edge of the rims bent up with a large portion of the tyre bead showing,
this stuff just happens way too often.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-03-2012, 10:06 AM   #38
aussie muscle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Comes down to poor driving if you can see a pot hole coming up and slow down in time unless it was on the other side of a crest or on a blind curve , go sit your driving test again.

hummph! the current state of the Monaro highway, it's not a case of looking for an occasional pothole, its a matter of trying to avoid the biggest ones. you can't go 50m without seeing a pothole and it's like that over the entire length of the road. There's been a lot of criticism about the current state of the highway.
Old 14-03-2012, 03:11 PM   #39
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
There is a million reason why someone may not be able to avoid a pothole.

Your point is showing massive amounts of ignorance.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-03-2012, 08:32 PM   #40
302 XC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
A good driver slows down if they see an obstruction on the road.
Yep even a car overtaking coming at us with not enuf distance to do it safely,we have to move over on the curb,or ruff as roads edge,again thank god im in a 4by
Maybe i wont slow down for some obstacles on my side of the road, learn a few people what short distance and hitting a 4by head on does to your body
It doesnt matter how good we think we are ,or how many years we drive,or how many years driving big things, there is and will always be something thats beyond our control
302 XC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-03-2012, 10:14 AM   #41
Kynan
Sound of a V8 = Bliss

Driving is the most dangerous activity you will do on a daily basis. As my Pop used to always say "treat everyone else on the road as if they're an idiot". And 302 XC is right on the money, there is and always will be something that's beyond your control.
Kynan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-03-2012, 03:24 PM   #42
blackf6
R51 Pathy, 91 Jayco Swan

Thinks could be worse you could have stuffed the rims also. Bad luck mate.
blackf6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-03-2012, 11:05 AM   #43
aussie muscle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i went passed the same place on saturday, they've fixed that spot, but the rest of the road is pretty bad. i took some photos. I'm sure plenty of roads around Australia are just like this.

here, someone has stacked up all the wheel covers that have come off.
Old 19-03-2012, 11:14 AM   #44
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Whoa...that's a lot of hubcaps...

Those potholes look pretty typical...you're doing 100/110kph, dark road, dark pothole, overcast day or just the sun at the wrong angle, and you won't see them until you're about to hit them. Insurance companies also use the rediculous mantra of "a good driver should have been able to avoid it" as well unfortunately. My workmate had to go through all sorts of rubbish to get her two wheels on the XR6T fixed. The rims were bent badly, and yes, the insurance company would fix them. I say "fix", as instead of just buying a new pair from Ford, they searched until they found a place in Brisbane that would straighten and repair and re-temper the wheels, then repaint them. Then ship them all the way back to Rocky to be fitted. She was without her car for a week or so.
Then when they fitted the new tyres, they chipped the paint on one of them, right on the face of the mag. The tyre mob took a lot more convincing to repair that damage, as "it's only a factory wheel"...

If, touch wood, it ever happened to us, I'd refuse to take a "repaired" wheel and would be demanding brand new ones...
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-03-2012, 11:33 AM   #45
Silver Ghia
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: As Silver Ghia his contributions to the AU and BA technical areas have been of high quality and valuable to the member base. 

Looks like in aussie muscles photos that the roads dept. had the budget to put up the cheese cutters, but not maintain the road itself. They have the priorities completely wrong.
Silver Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-03-2012, 11:35 AM   #46
MRFGXR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech article(s) 

Sorry to hear this Aussie muscle. Those pics are not surprising for country roads. Ours around the Mudgee Gulgong area are the same if not worse. I had already damaged two sets of rims on them, one set being 18" and the second being 20" Luckily the set I have now are holding up much better. Though it does pay to know the road and where the potholes are.
All being said at the end of the day the council has a duty of care to motorists for their safety and to full fill their obligation of road maintenance. This is obviously a blatant lack of that duty of care. I’m sure if the unmentionable was to happen and pray to the high and mighty (ford god) it doesn’t certainly then the road would be fixed.

6/6/16 build 2017 plate Race red mustang gt with white solid stripes, tint, x-force exhaust, rear spoiler, 35mm lowered Votgland springs

MRFGXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-03-2012, 01:53 PM   #47
XR6Naranja
XR6 Beast

Holy sheet...

I originally came from Katherine, NT, roads there are immaculate, I then moved to Lismore, Northern NSW, and the roads here are horrible, but they are literally just pot sized holes, not that big, I wouldn't be able to stand those pot holes..

I can no longer say that the roads here are pretty bad, because they look amazing compared to what you have there.

I also suppose Insider dodges everything, birds, leaves, bugs, must be one heck of a driver, sounds like he has a talent -.-

Avoiding pot holes is like trying to avoid stupidity in this world, you don't know when it's gonna happen, but when it does you're kicking yourself, even when it's not your fault...

Not much just yet but it's only a start.
XR6Naranja is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-03-2012, 02:10 PM   #48
ebxr8240
Performance moderator

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical advice. 

Whats wrong with them roads.. Normal to me... Lol...
Dart 330ci block turbo black pearl EBXR8 482 rwkw..
Daily driver GTE FG..
Projects http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=107711
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...8+turbo&page=4
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-03-2012, 03:27 PM   #49
sexyxe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Holy CRUD! How is it legal for the council/government to have roads in such a state? Thats an accident waiting to happen! Wet roads, huge pot holes, blow a tyre, loose control - then what happens? Who is to blame then.

That REALLY grinds my gears!
sexyxe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-03-2012, 06:09 PM   #50
FPV8U
BOSS 5.4L Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by sexyxe
Holy CRUD! How is it legal for the council/government to have roads in such a state? Thats an accident waiting to happen! Wet roads, huge pot holes, blow a tyre, loose control - then what happens? Who is to blame then.

That REALLY grinds my gears!

Wow, you wern't wrong when you sent me the message!

We have some average sections of road around here but nothing to complain about compared to that!
FPV8U is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post