Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 21-03-2012, 05:37 PM   #31
Dave R

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Valued contributor especially in the FG threads. Offers help and information to all. Posts are always in a positive manner. 
Default Re: Nissan GT-R Stigma/Attitude?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOrangeSpider
Take this one video on Youtube for example of a Bugatti vs'ing a GT-R, its not a drag race but rather a drag time, and the Bugatti end up winning it but because of reaction time the GT-R would have won if it was a drag race, I simply stated the obvious which was, the GT-R has no airbags, no aircon, one seat, no dash and is basically full racing spec and likely not street legal, but not one of them can actually see my point?
There's a video up at the moment of a high powered BF beating a GTR on the roll. It's fairly obvious the BF was going to win, but in came the GTR fanboys who could not possibly believe that something beat a GTR - in came the excuses - the GTR is a better track car, the GTR wasn't trying, the Falcon is just a taxi, the GTR is so much better bla bla bla. No doubt comments from 14 year old school kids who have never driven a GTR and would be scared s**tless driving a 370+rwkw XR6T. That's what annoys me, the blind idiots with no car knowledge, but they've seen every Top Gear episode....
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-03-2012, 05:39 PM   #32
blackf6
R51 Pathy, 91 Jayco Swan

I have a stigma against gtr's. I hated it when they beat everything round Bathurst.
blackf6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-03-2012, 05:44 PM   #33
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuspectEB
Something about 2 tons, automatic trans, leather interior, 20zzzz, and over the top electronics.
Gtr is not a performance car. Porshe gt2 rs is.
So I don't get how people can argue those two.
SLS AMG is more of a gtr competitor.

Fan boys will always argue no Matter what.

Gtr does laps well for a luxury barge. I can see and like that. But i can also see what its not what so many people think it is. It's not a BNCR32/3/4.

A GT-R not a perfomance car? When the "black edition" does 0-60mph in under 3 seconds?

Hmmm...

I think there is more of a stigma against GT-Rs...

Not a performance car...what a crock of crap

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-03-2012, 05:45 PM   #34
XR6Naranja
XR6 Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by teak81
I have a stigma against gtr's. I hated it when they beat everything round Bathurst.
Haha, yes sadly that will happen again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrenaline
There's a video up at the moment of a high powered BF beating a GTR on the roll. It's fairly obvious the BF was going to win, but in came the GTR fanboys who could not possibly believe that something beat a GTR - in came the excuses - the GTR is a better track car, the GTR wasn't trying, the Falcon is just a taxi, the GTR is so much better bla bla bla. No doubt comments from 14 year old school kids who have never driven a GTR and would be scared s**tless driving a 370+rwkw XR6T. That's what annoys me, the blind idiots with no car knowledge, but they've seen every Top Gear episode....
Yeah I've seen that, it's amazing how much of a sore loser half of those people can be, they lose and yet just come up with all the excuses under the sun.

Not much just yet but it's only a start.
XR6Naranja is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-03-2012, 05:49 PM   #35
graham7773
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Same thinking as soccer fans killing each other. My lot's better than your lot. And they think they're justified.
graham7773 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-03-2012, 05:49 PM   #36
TC200six
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I do know there seems to be a lot of internet users who are hellbent on wanting the new GT-R entered in V8 Supercars. These people appear to be unaware that the series is called "V8 Supercars" and not "V8 Production cars" for a reason, the series is a controlled formula and there already is a category for the GT-R to race in - It's called the GT Championship.
TC200six is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-03-2012, 05:57 PM   #37
TC200six
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Haha, yes sadly that will happen again.
What will happen again? I assume you mean the Bathurst 12 hour right? Nissan have a long way to go in getting a GT-R model fast enough to beat some of the other GT-class cars getting around there. Also, they need to sink quite alot of money in getting a competitive enough team and drivers
Old 21-03-2012, 06:01 PM   #38
XR6Naranja
XR6 Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by TC200six
What will happen again? I assume you mean the Bathurst 12 hour right? Nissan have a long way to go in getting a GT-R model fast enough to beat some of the other GT-class cars getting around there. Also, they need to sink quite alot of money in getting a competitive enough team and drivers
The technology is there, I'm sure Nissan would have no problems dealing with the rest, I mean I hope they don't, but doesn't look too promising.

Old 21-03-2012, 06:15 PM   #39
ebxr8240
Performance moderator

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical advice. 

Ah what did gentle Jim say ???
The swear filter will restrict what he said..

This sort of stigma goes on with most cars..
When I imported our first WRX the comments ..
Are you bringing in for your son ??
Are going to sell it ???
Fair go why can't a 48 Year old buy what he wants..
People tend to stereotype you...
Dart 330ci block turbo black pearl EBXR8 482 rwkw..
Daily driver GTE FG..
Projects http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=107711
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...8+turbo&page=4
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-03-2012, 06:21 PM   #40
XR6Naranja
XR6 Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebxr8240
Ah what did gentle Jim say ???
The swear filter will restrict what he said..

This sort of stigma goes on with most cars..
When I imported our first WRX the comments ..
Are you bringing in for your son ??
Are going to sell it ???
Fair go why can't a 48 Year old buy what he wants..
People tend to stereotype you...
Yeah I do see the same a lot for WRX as well.

Old 21-03-2012, 06:24 PM   #41
ebxr8240
Performance moderator

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical advice. 

Quote:
Yeah I do see the same a lot for WRX as well.
Aha I don't wear a cap though !!! Not even backwards !!!!
Oh no cannon either .. Thats for the wannabe's...
Dart 330ci block turbo black pearl EBXR8 482 rwkw..
Daily driver GTE FG..
Projects http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=107711
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...8+turbo&page=4
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-03-2012, 06:27 PM   #42
XR6Naranja
XR6 Beast

Haha mate good on you, I hate cannons, I can fart in a can record it and play it through my speakers and it'll sound the same.

Old 21-03-2012, 06:45 PM   #43
Matty 31
Invader from the darkside

As a GTR owner (of a track variant, as i like my licence a little too much), and being an all round motoring enthusiast, I can see what you guys are saying. Theres some people that are blue blooded 4 cylinder, 6 cylinder, V8 or rotary fanatics, and to tell them that something is better than theirs would these days end up in a gangland style war. Personally, as nice as a lot of the European super cars are, they dont tickle my fancy. The thought of driving a Ferrari, Lamborghini, Aston Martin, Merc or BMW M series doesnt cross my mind (as my mind says business man with too much coin LOL). I spose the same can be said for the Holden VS Ford VS Chrysler debates of the old days (when Valiants were cool and all haha)

Every car that has some sort of stigma / attitude has gained it for a reason i guess. WRXs and Lancer Evolution series gained a HUGE following after their successes in WRC, and by hell i can see why. They're friggin quick, nippy and darty on twisty bitumen and dirt, something that isnt impossible to do in a bigger sedan, but a damn sight harder.

The GTR - technology that was YEARS ahead at the time made them a crowd favourite for some, and enemy for others. Compared to a lot of technology these days, its pretty simple and still a bit dark ages, but by hell does it work (and in comparison to what was around at the time, it was VERY fancy)

I admit that i used to be one of those "*******" that thought there was nothing better than my type of car, and that V8s were a waste of space and all that, but over many years that has changed. Id love to have an old school muscle car with some rediculous big block 8 in it, to cruise around in and feel the rumble of. I spose its a personal preference

*but at the end of the day it IS satisfying to be able to stir up and then demolish a porsche owner at a track day. That is a goal this year

http://fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11357304

Quote:
Originally Posted by malazn mafia View Post
Should rename it the Ford Tom Yum. Too hot to handle..
Matty 31 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-03-2012, 07:04 PM   #44
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Decent look on it, without seeming hypocritical, I'm thinking that maybe the GT-R is a little TOO advanced, I mean the Top Gear test shows the car with and without the traction control, and the car just doesn't do anything but accelerate and corner at such a precise level.

I think I'd be slightly bummed if I went to a skid pan just to drive around in circles because it wouldn't break loose.
Yes it has the ability to make the most pathetic driver look amazing by compensation for all the mistakes. THAT is what it is designed to do.

But then again that is also what automatic transmission does on drag strips, power steering does on corners and slow tight driving, ABS does in emergency braking, DSC does in bumpy corners etc. etc.

Just wondering how many of the "GTR haters" have a manual non power steering non power braked non airconditioned vehicle as their daily driver?

Or do you all have the various goodies that have been gradually made available on Falcon usually a few years?
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-03-2012, 07:07 PM   #45
SuspectEB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikked
A GT-R not a perfomance car? When the "black edition" does 0-60mph in under 3 seconds?

Hmmm...

I think there is more of a stigma against GT-Rs...

Not a performance car...what a crock of crap

It's a gt car. It's fast, but luxurious and lot more comfortable then a true performence car.

Looks at Mclaren f1, areil atom, gt2 rs, Enzo ect ect.
Hell even The 90s gtrs. The35 is hell of a car, but not what performance car stands for.
Like I said, its more of a amg/m/quattro grand touring car. But can compete on the track.
V spex is bit more like it.
Mmm body kit
Sunroof
Custom respray
ROH Modena 3 peice wheels

01 AU XR6 VCT
Sunroof
Manual
Coilovers
Big brakes
Carbon bonnet
Pursuit/TS body kit
Lip spoiler
TE interior
18x9.5 18x10.5 with semi slicks
SuspectEB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-03-2012, 07:09 PM   #46
XR6Naranja
XR6 Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
Yes it has the ability to make the most pathetic driver look amazing by compensation for all the mistakes. THAT is what it is designed to do.

But then again that is also what automatic transmission does on drag strips, power steering does on corners and slow tight driving, ABS does in emergency braking, DSC does in bumpy corners etc. etc.

Just wondering how many of the "GTR haters" have a manual non power steering non power braked non airconditioned vehicle as their daily driver?

Or do you all have the various goodies that have been gradually made available on Falcon usually a few years?
Well in all honesty and I'm sure you know as you're on a Ford forum, I drive a BA which does have all that, but I can say I've driven a non airconditioned truck for a while in the NT (It was hell) and also a small non power steering buzz box, so the past is there, I don't hate the GT-R however in my defence.

Old 21-03-2012, 07:18 PM   #47
TheZHLANE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist

I lack all the goodies par the power brakes
TheZHLANE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-03-2012, 07:23 PM   #48
SuspectEB

Yeah, my daily got no ac, heavy clutch manny, e series brakes (might aswell be in powered) and a Crappy power steering that don't work right. It's a heap, but I love it.
Mmm body kit
Sunroof
Custom respray

01 AU XR6 VCT
Sunroof
Manual
Coilovers
Big brakes
Carbon bonnet
Pursuit/TS body kit
Lip spoiler
TE interior
Old 21-03-2012, 07:32 PM   #49
Matty 31
Invader from the darkside

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuspectEB
Yeah, my daily got no ac, heavy clutch manny, e series brakes (might aswell be in powered) and a Crappy power steering that don't work right. It's a heap, but I love it.
You dont have a licence Dale, so that doesnt count

http://fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11357304

Quote:
Originally Posted by malazn mafia View Post
Should rename it the Ford Tom Yum. Too hot to handle..
Matty 31 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-03-2012, 07:39 PM   #50
SuspectEB

Hey, hey. I used to drive to and from depot every day in a crap ea!
Mmm body kit
Sunroof
Custom respray

01 AU XR6 VCT
Sunroof
Manual
Coilovers
Big brakes
Carbon bonnet
Pursuit/TS body kit
Lip spoiler
TE interior
Old 21-03-2012, 07:39 PM   #51
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Probably a feeling of superiority because...well...the GTR Skyline was always superior to most other cars on the road, and could show a clean set of heels to a lot of cars who obviously actually believed "there's no substitute for cubic inches"...

If you want to be surrounded by flocks of non-existent fans, try owning a Celica...the most I ever heard them called was "hair-dressers cars"...

I think with the GTR Skyline, the "stigma" isn't against the car as such...they're a great piece of kit...the stigma is probably against some of the people driving them...
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-03-2012, 07:55 PM   #52
Cheese3
The BEST Falcon is the AU

Quote:
Originally Posted by TC200six
I do know there seems to be a lot of internet users who are hellbent on wanting the new GT-R entered in V8 Supercars. These people appear to be unaware that the series is called "V8 Supercars" and not "V8 Production cars" for a reason, the series is a controlled formula and there already is a category for the GT-R to race in - It's called the GT Championship.
Here is your v8 rwd R35
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:GT-R_08_GT500.jpg
Cheese3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-03-2012, 08:07 PM   #53
fou_bleu
Get EcoBoosted

Quote:
The technology is there, I'm sure Nissan would have no problems dealing with the rest, I mean I hope they don't, but doesn't look too promising.
What doesn't look promising? Nissan abiding by the rules? Educate yourself about how Nissan came to be entering V8SC before jumping to completely stupid conclusions that Nissan would cheat like last time (which they didn't anyway, rules are rules and would we be dissing Ford's if the tables were turned and #17 did win after it DNF'd?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheese3
What's that got to do with the price of eggs in China? The car is the all-new Altima to be unveiled in New York next month...

Last edited by fou_bleu; 21-03-2012 at 08:15 PM. Reason: Grammar fail...
fou_bleu is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-03-2012, 08:37 PM   #54
dimka100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Mate there is a guy on this forum that is a Ford die hard, he owns a bunch of some seriously modified Fords that most can only dream about ... recently he got a brand new blue GTR ... go ask him why he did that LOL ... I think it will be educational to all the GTR haters ...
dimka100 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-03-2012, 09:27 PM   #55
TC200six
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheese3
I'm aware of that special GT-R for the Japanese Super GT series. V8SC is a formula style touring car category and if something like that could participate, they might as well flood the series with Porsche 911s and other cars from GT categories.
Old 21-03-2012, 09:41 PM   #56
Cheese3
The BEST Falcon is the AU

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimka100
Mate there is a guy on this forum that is a Ford die hard, he owns a bunch of some seriously modified Fords that most can only dream about ... recently he got a brand new blue GTR ... go ask him why he did that LOL ... I think it will be educational to all the GTR haters ...
Who is he? Is he well known or done anything good to cars worth posting on the forums?
Cheese3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-03-2012, 09:58 PM   #57
Shonky.
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

I think I'd be slightly bummed if I went to a skid pan just to drive around in circles because it wouldn't break loose.
Not being mean, but you sound like one of the kids on youtube you are talking about.

Godzilla earned it's place in history. People will always be unable to keep it in perspective and make outlandish claims and get carried away, but for me my GTR was the best car ownership of my life. 10 x better than the sterile GT I now own or the next cheapest equivalent back in the 90's
Shonky. is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-03-2012, 10:13 PM   #58
Streets
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Saw a GT-R at the lights today (probably an 02 model maybe?) that was really nice. Usually the guys who own these things have riced the bejesus out of them and installed terrible sounding exhausts, but this one was real nice... deep polished black, standard wheels and height, tinted windows, quiet exhaust that still sounded good. For a few seconds, it made me want one.
Streets is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-03-2012, 11:03 PM   #59
MethodX
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

id never want one simply because its Japanese.
But i can respect what they have done with them.
Culture and marque mean more than stats to me.
MethodX is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-03-2012, 11:14 PM   #60
saam
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

We may be all fanboys of a certain type of car or brand..

If you ever want to know why some GTR fans speak highly of their machine

go out and test drive one

Only then will you understand its driving presents

Just dont blame me if youd want to tade in your ford for it
saam is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post