Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 03-11-2015, 10:52 AM   #31
ltd
Force Fed Fords

Default Re: How to avoid salespeople games and nonsense when buying a new car

Quote:
Originally Posted by new2ford View Post
Then there's the attractive seductress with the cleavage and the bit of leg they send you in to get conned into paint protection etc!
When that girl comes over to try and sell after market rubbish that no one needs here's what you do. Camp it up a little bit, look at her feet and say; "Oh my God I just love those shoes - my partner has some just like them". They usually walk away after that.

Quote:
Powered by GE
ltd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 03-11-2015, 11:46 AM   #32
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltd View Post
When that girl comes over to try and sell after market rubbish that no one needs here's what you do. Camp it up a little bit, look at her feet and say; "Oh my God I just love those shoes - my partner has some just like them". They usually walk away after that.

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic
blueoval is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-11-2015, 12:18 PM   #33
Craig@AUDI
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltd View Post
Or worse...nice fake cans...my partner has a set too!
Craig@AUDI is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 03-11-2015, 12:48 PM   #34
jackute23

I've been looking to upgrade my car and a new (or near new) Territory is a possibility. There are hundreds of them available, so I wouldn't get too hung-up on one particular unit.

With car salesman I've found it best to just tell them up front you're a genuine buyer and keep to your price. If in any way you're unsure about the deal just say you want time to think about it and go. I've also noticed that going to a major dealer doesn't change the amount of B/S and crap you have to suffer.

As stated above, no emotional buying or you'll pay for it.
jackute23 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-11-2015, 01:00 PM   #35
ESPJG32

mate I developed a system many years ago to buy new cars, and I do it for all of the family - I don't even go to the dealership - I tell the person who is going to buy the car to go and drive whatever they want, decide on what they want and call me - I make sure that if it is a woman, to say she needs her husband and if its a guy, he needs the wife- that way the dealer cannot put the pressure on.

I call several dealers with the same car, tell them I am a buyer for a red mazda or whatever it is, give them my email address and tell them I will make a decision by Friday at 4pm, make sure you get your quote to me before then......when the quote comes in I ring them and say "are you prepared to lose the business for your price" when they say what do you mean, I say "lets get something understood, your job is to sell a car and for the highest price, my job is to buy a car and for the lowest price" so I have your quote, is that the lowest price you can do? If they say yes, I say so if I call you back on Friday and say sorry you didn't get the business, you wont mind because you were not prepared to sell it for less, is that right? If they say no, then I say you had better sharpen your pencil because I am going to buy a car on Friday and the lowest price will win the business.....I will wait for your new email.

Some dealers will refuse to give you a price...in that situation I say that is fine, that position guarantees you wont sell me a car....thank them and move on.... I have had dealers try to call me on Saturday and say I think I can put a deal together for you.....my answer is sorry I bought a car, that is what I told you I was going to do.

There are a couple of rules which you have to apply and tell them what those rules are.
1/ I will not use your price against you to get a better price from someone else
2/ If you miss out on the business I will not tell you what price won it and who it was that gave me the great deal.
these rules are important to maintain the integrity of all those involved and you do not break those rules.

Obviously the old standards of buying at the end of the month etc still apply, but the system above buys cars at very keen prices and don't be afraid to try it on country dealers as well....their volume is less and they are often keen to do a deal, I have even done it with dealers in other states - where the stamp duty is less, I saved $8k on a new FG GT a few years ago and that was after the cost of transport to me. Don't buy accessories/extended warranties etc, keep the deal clean and simple.

Remember dealers do it every day and they get very good at it, most people do it once every few years...they will always be better at working a deal than you if you allow them to have control - you keep control
ESPJG32 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
6 users like this post:
Old 03-11-2015, 10:38 PM   #36
amiers
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Well some interesting comments on what people think of carsalesmen. just a quick check: they work at at stealerships, they are "time wasting tossers". they speak "verbal diarrhoea" and sometimes "verbal cancer" and are all twits and lets not forget the ming moles. just a quick check on that below.

"Moll or Mole /ˈmoʊl/ is Australian and New Zealand slang, usually pejorative or self-deprecating, for a woman of loose sexual morals, a *****, a slut or a prostitute.

Now before I sit back and get smashed over this post a quick who am I. I have been in the motor trade for nearly 40 years and have been a licensed dealer for 20 of that, I have owned my own car yards for 15 of that. I have worked at most major dealerships, Holden,Ford,Toyota ect. so im not an idiot.

Now I agree that a lot of salesmen are smartarse's, mostly the younger ones, but I can also let you all in on a big secret, a lot of the customers are just as bad if not worse. they all walk in to the yard wanting to go 10 rounds for the title and when they don't win they walk away using the wonderful names in this thread. I do not and never will condone pressure tactics in my yards. I have in fact fired salepeople for doing it. I also don't over price my vehicles and I try to give my customers the best deal I can without giving all the profit away. On the other hand I have told customers to leave the yard and take their money elsewhere, my employee's are not there to be told they are twits, thieves or moles. all car yards have profit in their cars, that's how we make a living, and yes we always have some room to move but there is only so far you can drop.

I don't know how many of the posters own a business or work in sales but if you do I hope you follow your own rules and give your profits away and get called lovely names for it. better still next time your doing the groceries fill up the trolley and when you get to the checkout call the manager and ask him what the best price is or you will go elsewhere if it doesn't suit you, or call him some names get arrested and then call ten lawyers and tell them you will be in court Friday so sharpen your pencils and get back to me with your best price.
Old 03-11-2015, 10:54 PM   #37
sprintman1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by amiers View Post
Well some interesting comments on what people think of carsalesmen. just a quick check: they work at at stealerships, they are "time wasting tossers". they speak "verbal diarrhoea" and sometimes "verbal cancer" and are all twits and lets not forget the ming moles. just a quick check on that below.

"Moll or Mole /ˈmoʊl/ is Australian and New Zealand slang, usually pejorative or self-deprecating, for a woman of loose sexual morals, a *****, a slut or a prostitute.

Now before I sit back and get smashed over this post a quick who am I. I have been in the motor trade for nearly 40 years and have been a licensed dealer for 20 of that, I have owned my own car yards for 15 of that. I have worked at most major dealerships, Holden,Ford,Toyota ect. so im not an idiot.

Now I agree that a lot of salesmen are smartarse's, mostly the younger ones, but I can also let you all in on a big secret, a lot of the customers are just as bad if not worse. they all walk in to the yard wanting to go 10 rounds for the title and when they don't win they walk away using the wonderful names in this thread. I do not and never will condone pressure tactics in my yards. I have in fact fired salepeople for doing it. I also don't over price my vehicles and I try to give my customers the best deal I can without giving all the profit away. On the other hand I have told customers to leave the yard and take their money elsewhere, my employee's are not there to be told they are twits, thieves or moles. all car yards have profit in their cars, that's how we make a living, and yes we always have some room to move but there is only so far you can drop.

I don't know how many of the posters own a business or work in sales but if you do I hope you follow your own rules and give your profits away and get called lovely names for it. better still next time your doing the groceries fill up the trolley and when you get to the checkout call the manager and ask him what the best price is or you will go elsewhere if it doesn't suit you, or call him some names get arrested and then call ten lawyers and tell them you will be in court Friday so sharpen your pencils and get back to me with your best price.
Agree, the customers are often worse but not always. Their lies are so transparent but they think it works. There are good and bad dealers, I worked for one of each. Always two sides to every story, same here.
sprintman1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-11-2015, 11:02 PM   #38
Behemoth
Starter Motor

I'm just trying to gauge the right approach so as not to have my time wasted by silly shenanigans. I know there are good salespeople and not so good ones. The issue I'm facing is living in a regional town with maybe 3 independent (from each other) dealers plus a couple of little guys selling at the older end of the market means that when you do find a car and it happens to be in a particular dealer, how do you cut through all the nonsense and get to negotiating a fair price.
Its difficult to get a proper sit down and view on what the price is. There is one dealer in town that lists prices and they all seem to be a bit above market.
All of the other yards, maybe 8 or so all have no prices and when you ask you're told "oh about x8 x9ish" "why don't you come in" "are you going to sign something today".
I mean what kind of nonsense is that. How about you tell me after a short discussion how much I'll have to part with for you to sell me the car and not feel like I have to go through some kind of charade to get to a price I'm happy with?
Whats wrong with being told a price and being allowed to mull it over for the night?
Its not a bag of apples. Its going to be a purchase I'll pay off for some years and then have to feel good about if I maybe want to bring it back to the make dealer for servicing.
If I'm driving a car and say I like it there is a good chance that once I've made up my mind I'll buy it. I have access to the internet and I can do the same if not more research than the salesperson on prices.
Its the ones that treat you like a **** wit that annoy me... I've seen cars like these for sale for 4k less. Why is this one so expensive?
Oh, do those other ones have 7 seats? Yes mate. All the ones of the same badge have 7 seats. They haven't taken some out to make it cheaper...
So my plan is to make some time to sit down and have a chat. If I'm made to sit for more than 5 minutes while he "talks to the boss" I'll be waking up to the bosses office, explaining that I'm the customer and let's play the haggle game right now...
I'll give you a deposit and a list of conditions for me buying your used "101 point inspection guaranteed car" and it will be me having a mechanic look it over for known issues that you may or may not be aware of and if it's good I'll pay the agreed price. If it's not we will work that out.
I respect that there are honest people trying to run a business but start treating me like a fool and we're playing s different kind of game and not one that a seller will ever win when they lose my business.
Its not hard really is it? Why the charades?

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
Behemoth is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 03-11-2015, 11:08 PM   #39
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I look forward to the day we can buy cars online.
b0son is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 04-11-2015, 02:42 AM   #40
NX74205
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
I mean what kind of nonsense is that. How about you tell me after a short discussion how much I'll have to part with for you to sell me the car and not feel like I have to go through some kind of charade to get to a price I'm happy with?
Whats wrong with being told a price and being allowed to mull it over for the night?
That'd be the list price. I can pretty much guarantee that you won't get any hassles if you're happy to buy the car for the asking price.

Otherwise ... haggle away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0son View Post
Me too. Hopefully that'd make cars cheaper as it'll cut out the dealer's margins.

Nothing against salespeople - I'm in discussions with one for a potential purchase at the moment, and the guy I'm dealing with is fantastic, a genuine car nut with whom I've had many yarns about cars in general. I'd love to catch up with him for a beer when the deal is done. He's also been very patient while I'm busy organising my finances. If I'm to buy a car, it'd be from him.

But I'd also quite happily conduct a transaction online if it means that I can save a couple of grand.
2005 Ford BF Fairmont (2006-2019)
1989 Ford EA Falcon GL (2000-2007)
1982 Ford KA Laser Ghia (1999-2000)
NX74205 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-11-2015, 03:59 AM   #41
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Easy way to avoid salespeople: don't go to the dealership. Nobody is forcing you to go there! . They're just trying to make a living like you are. Customers also play "games," most of the time without even realizing it. Sales, business, economics, life... It's all fun and games. Play it well.
chevypower is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-11-2015, 05:35 AM   #42
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Not going to happen, maybe some used car dealers will be dumb enough to try it, but both manufacturers and franchised dealers know they depend on sales professionals to increase market share and protect their profit margins. I know customers think nothing would change because they "know what they want," but research doesn't back that claim. 86% of customers are flexible, and dealers can't stock every combination of every dealer, and that's an opportunity a systematic process can't take advantage of. Internet will continue to be used for marketing and lead generation. Manufacturers will protect the investments of their franchisees. I predict the automotive industry will follow others like Apple, Nikon, and Canon, and go to fixed pricing.
Old 04-11-2015, 08:16 AM   #43
new2ford
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by amiers View Post
Just to let you know in case you're feeling persecuted, a lot of us customers are pretty cool with car salesmen and the experience is like any other negotiation in life. As you get older you know how to handle it, you appreciate the more mature, experienced sales people and have a quiet laugh at some of the young ones, appreciating that they're on a learning curve.

I'll tell you one thing though. The attention of the ladies selling the "extras" is deeply unappreciated and a turnoff for the whole experience. No they're not moles (and it would help if they're not expected to dress and act as though they are, it's insulting to them), a lot of them are very nice and only doing a job they're employed to do. But they make or break how good you feel your experience at the dealer was.

Yes OK, they're there to help you make a bit of extra profit out of a deal but you need to balance that against whether your customer feels like coming back to you again in the future. The key words are "feeling hassled". Don't let your customers feel hassled.

I had my own business too for what it's worth.
Old 04-11-2015, 09:13 AM   #44
sprintman1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

[QUOTE=new2ford;5512174]Just to let you know in case you're feeling persecuted, a lot of us customers are pretty cool with car salesmen and the experience is like any other negotiation in life. As you get older you know how to handle it, you appreciate the more mature, experienced sales people and have a quiet laugh at some of the young ones, appreciating that they're on a learning curve.

I'll tell you one thing though. The attention of the ladies selling the "extras" is deeply unappreciated and a turnoff for the whole experience. No they're not moles (and it would help if they're not expected to dress and act as though they are, it's insulting to them), a lot of them are very nice and only doing a job they're employed to do. But they make or break how good you feel your experience at the dealer was.

Yes OK, they're there to help you make a bit of extra profit out of a deal but you need to balance that against whether your customer feels like coming back to you again in the future. The key words are "feeling hassled". Don't let your customers feel hassled.

I had my own business too for what it's worth.[/QUOTE
We didn't have a paint protection 'mole', we had a snappy dude. Just being different I guess..
Old 04-11-2015, 09:48 AM   #45
SumoDog68
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tried to have a look at new LS3 commodore and was pointed to SV6 instead . Got told that V8 is hard to get and was more a car for an enthusiast to which I replied I classed myself as an enthusiast and walked away to my V8 parked in front of the dealership.
I treat car salesman the way they treat me. More often than not they misinterpret the facts about the cars they sell , don't respect my time and use childish games to try to make a sale.
I simply don't let them play those games by being upfront - I know what car I want , spec ,colour and at what price - if they can do it on the day , I'll buy it on the spot.
While I do research , I will test drive the competition and narrow it down and also be upfront that I won't be buying on the day. Honesty is the best policy - I also tell them I don't do Aftermarket chicks.

Last edited by SumoDog68; 04-11-2015 at 10:06 AM.
SumoDog68 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-11-2015, 10:27 AM   #46
mcflux
Banned
Donating Member1

Someone asked before about the pre-delivery cost. The staff at the dealership don't work for free, they need to get paid somehow. Who does the work for getting your new car to you?

* Salesperson to do the deal. It likely involves the following:
- Time spent with customer. Including test driving, answering all questions, sorting with legalities such as ensuring the test drive can be performed safely, etc.
- Liaise with other staff regarding any accessories, customisations, finance, permission from management for selling at a certain price (or with certain accessories/customisations included), delivery logistics (if the car isn't on site yet or requires taking off site for certain accessory installations).
- Paperwork regarding the aspects of the deal. Both for reporting purposes for the dealership / car maker, to allow for timely follow-up with the customer, to record any issues in the process (logistics / QA / etc), and to provide the customer with an itemised quote with all of their requirements at an agreed price. Often this would mean several quotes until the customer is satisfied (or the salesman cannot provide the customer with any further discounts).

* Salesperson has spoken to accessories and/or spare parts staff. These staff will need to contact their own network of genuine & non-genuine suppliers and haggle with THEM for the best price for accessories. The customer may have very specific/obscure requirements, such as side rails on a Focus (wtf) and it will be up to the accessories / parts staff to track down those parts. What if their primary contact for a particular item has run out of stock, and they need to contact (or look up) alternative businesses? What if there's some process such as powdercoating a bullbar required, and their primary contact's powdercoating subcontractor is unavailable due to their own preexisting contracts/workload, or there's a problem with transporting the powdercoated bullbar and yet the salesman's customer needs the vehicle by a set date. The accessories / parts staff need to find an alternative.

* Dealership mechanics actually have strict requirements upon inspection of a delivered vehicle. Sure, some people here have had bad experiences with inspection items missed; not all people are diligent at their job. But, for the diligent staff, what if the vehicle was delivered with a blemish or defect, and the mechanics / accessories / parts staff need to chase up a replacement part to fit prior to customer delivery. IE a brand new leather seat with an airbag fitted had some loose stitching, so they had to chase up a new matching genuine seat and have it shipped ASAP and do the paperwork for the rejection of the original seat.

And before you mention profit margin on cars, genuine parts & accessories, remember most of that goes back to the car maker. Not the dealership / its staff.

And labour? Salesmen, spare parts, admin, warranty/claims staff don't charge labour. And if the dealership you go to is locked in to capped-price servicing, they might be losing big time on certain service intervals on certain models (to promote sales of these models obviously) and need to make it back on minor service intervals on other models or used cars.

How many cars a day does a dealership sell? Some sell dozens, others may only sell a few in a week yet have 20 staff to pay.

There are some jaded cocky arrogant ****s on here! What's your profession? Do you have people approach you with disdain & try to walk all over you every day? Does your profession pay a minimum base rate where you rely on sales commissions to get ahead? If you're in a regional or rural area, does your profession deal with customers who go "well I can get the same product for blah in Melbourne/Sydney (which is 4 hours away). Match it or I walk"? Does your profession deal with NEW customers who've walked off the street who you've never seen before, with NO previous relationship with the business, demanding maximum discounts on everything?

Yes, there are the stereotypical slippery salesmen out there, either through greed, desperation, or disposition. But there are also genuine hardworking people who want to do their job well, who want to make sure that when you go through the process of buying a car from their dealership, you're treated well and as per their QA requirements.

I repeat I'm not a salesman nor am I in the industry, but I do know people who are.
mcflux is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-11-2015, 10:51 AM   #47
EBTom
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Its quite a long read, but this is a very good discussion giving some great insight as to why salespeople do what they do, and the best (and worst) strategies for ‘playing the game’.

http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/archive/2255054

To summarise, the key points go something like this:

Dealers generally won’t talk price until you’re ready to commit to buy then and there.
For this reason, don’t bother trying to ‘shop around’; dealers smell it a mile away and will all play hard-ball so they don’t get played against each other and undercut.

The ‘whats your best price?’ question will probably be met with whatever the sticker on the window says, RRP, or even at best, far higher than their actual lowest price.

Know how much you are willing to pay for the car, sign the contract offering that amount and let them accept/decline.

The salesperson cannot approve deals, they are simply the messenger and must refer your offer to the manager. The manager will almost always get the salesperson to try and milk it for more.
If you are given a counter-offer, be aware of statements like “what if I could do it for $xxxxxx?”, noting that isn’t an actual offer for that price, its just a question of “would you buy if the manager approves this price?”.
This can quite often be a tactic to gauge whether you are willing to budge from your offer. Here’s where you need to be prepared to stick to your offer and walk away if they aren’t forthcoming.
As long as your offer is reasonable, expect to either be stopped at the gate or called back an hour later with acceptance of the offer.

Dealers may often sell a car for minimal margin, or even a loss, as the bonuses they receive from the manufacturer for units sold, can offset any potential losses on individual units.

But, because of this (how many more sales they need to hit the number needed to get the bonus, how much time until the bonus cut-off) the dealers 'best price' can change on a daily basis based on their circumstances at that time.

So while the dealers leverage over you is price, your leverage over the dealer is commitment to buy which gives them the sales numbers. Use that to your advantage.

“I want this car, in this colour, with these options and I will buy it from you today for no more than $xxxxxxx” Take it or leave it.

Basically, be assertive and buy a car on your terms, don’t be sold one on theirs.

Former Rides:
EB1 FAIRMONT – 4.0, A4, FULL EXHAUST, WADE 1004, TIP J3, 18” BA XR8’S, SUPERLOWS, SPRINT KIT,
AU1 FAIRMONT GHIA – 5.0, A4, 3" CATBACK, 20" VERSUS WRAITH, ULTRALOWS, TICKFORD & MOMO GOODIES

Last edited by EBTom; 04-11-2015 at 10:58 AM.
EBTom is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 04-11-2015, 11:42 AM   #48
PDIDDY
Victory is Mine

How about you start with a reasonable offer? What you have asked for is nearly a 25% discount! How much margin do you think they have in cars???
I'll bet if someone came onto your business and did that, you'd be pretty pi$$ed off too and start "playing games".
Old 04-11-2015, 11:47 AM   #49
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevypower View Post
Not going to happen
Manufacturers have already dipped their toes in the water, Subaru BRZ for example was sold online only, and that system is now being tried with the STI. Change takes time, but it will happen. I've yet to meet a single person who enjoys the current buying process.
Old 04-11-2015, 11:54 AM   #50
sprintman1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDIDDY View Post
How about you start with a reasonable offer? What you have asked for is nearly a 25% discount! How much margin do you think they have in cars???
I'll bet if someone came onto your business and did that, you'd be pretty pi$$ed off too and start "playing games".
I know one new car sold with $500 margin. 99.9% of buyers are clueless when it comes to understanding what there is in a new vehicle and don't get me started on what they think their trade in is worth....
2 users like this post:
Old 04-11-2015, 11:57 AM   #51
bluewindsor
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Really simple approach. Know your budget especially the top dollar you are willing to pay. Be straight and say this is what I'm willing to pay and walk away. You'll either hear back yes or no. There's no point humming and haing over something you can't afford. How many cars of the same model were made? There's always another.

My wife and I bought a new Subaru from the dealer, ticket price was $27k for the optioned model, we said our max was $24K. The manager said no, so we left. About an hour later we got a call saying we could have a demo for that. We said no. Another hour later they said yes but with no extras. We said no. An hour later we got another call to say ok to a fully optioned car and when can we come in.

Was a simple process. Don't use 5 words when 3 will do. Cut the conversation off and walk away, you're not obliged to stay.

Last edited by bluewindsor; 04-11-2015 at 12:06 PM.
bluewindsor is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 04-11-2015, 12:23 PM   #52
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghia5L View Post
Someone asked before about the pre-delivery cost. The staff at the dealership don't work for free, they need to get paid somehow. Who does the work for getting your new car to you?
This is why they aren't selling the car for the wholesale cost they bought it for. This is the purpose of the retail margin. Show me another industry that charges an extra fee on top of the retail margin for having the item in store.

Quote:
* Dealership mechanics actually have strict requirements upon inspection of a delivered vehicle. Sure, some people here have had bad experiences with inspection items missed; not all people are diligent at their job. But, for the diligent staff, what if the vehicle was delivered with a blemish or defect, and the mechanics / accessories / parts staff need to chase up a replacement part to fit prior to customer delivery. IE a brand new leather seat with an airbag fitted had some loose stitching, so they had to chase up a new matching genuine seat and have it shipped ASAP and do the paperwork for the rejection of the original seat.
This is quality control. It's the manufacturer's responsibility to bare the cost of any quality defects that escaped the factory. Shipping damage is also not the customer's responsibility.

Yes, these things take time/money for the dealer to deal with. That's business. It should be factored into their retail margin, like any other overhead.
2 users like this post:
Old 04-11-2015, 12:25 PM   #53
sprintman1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

And cut out the lies. When asking for credit don't say "I have no credit debt" when in fact you have four maxed out and couldn't possibly make the payments, you will get caught and it's embarrassing for everybody
Old 04-11-2015, 12:39 PM   #54
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Manufacturers have already dipped their toes in the water, Subaru BRZ for example was sold online only, and that system is now being tried with the STI. Change takes time, but it will happen. I've yet to meet a single person who enjoys the current buying process.
Buying a car is more like buying a house than it is like buying a TV. Most people are not going to take a chance and just buy the second biggest purchase of their life, online. Another important statistic is that 99% of buyers want to drive the vehicle before buying it. Letting people test drive at a dealership, then buying online is not sustainable. Such a small percentage of your car purchase goes to the salesperson, cutting him/her out of it will cost someone a job, and you would hardly notice any savings. I stand by my prediction that it's not going to happen, but that doesn't mean some people won't try. I think we will see changes to the buying process, but I think actual test drives and closing the sale at the height of the emotional experience, rather than a virtual one, will be with us for a long time.
Old 04-11-2015, 01:11 PM   #55
FPV+fteT3
Performance Inc.

Its not a difficult process the salesman has his job to do he has to make money and do the best deal for his boss and self. The buyer should firstly do their homework and research and know the pricing, options etc..then go in to a dealership talk to a sales rep take a drive ask for his best price. If this is not what you are prepared to pay or agree to then and there make an offer leave your number and walk away if they want to do the deal they will call if not keep looking.
Why people make it any harder than it has too is beyond me its only a car they make 1000's of em.
I am a sales rep I do this for a living you win some you loose some no need for any emotion its purely a business transaction one can only do business when both parties agree its simple.

FPV Super Pursuit Build no 0080/91
Lotus Exige S/C S240

Kart Hasse Chassis 100J Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
Rental cars, the equipment of choice to get to destinations where 4WDs fear to drive......
FPV+fteT3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-11-2015, 01:30 PM   #56
ESPJG32

I agree with FPV+fteT3 I also come from a sales background - although not cars - it seems like most people dont like not being in control....when you are not in control of what is happening people get nervous or concerned and the blame the other person...in this case the car sales person.

I think the sales process - for any large ticket item is like chess...but with people not chess men on a board.....if you approach it like this it can be fun....If you cannot control yourself, you will never control the game, if you are concerned at what you might say or how you might react develop a system or a way of operating to get control back....think about what might be said or done whilst you are at the yard and looking at the car and figure out a strategy for you to achieve your goal - no one goes into a game without thinking the outcomes thru unless they are really dumb - take control of yourself and take control of the process - when you do it become chess and it becomes fun
ESPJG32 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-11-2015, 01:42 PM   #57
xurbanx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

We've never had an issue with ours. The salesmen and the dealership I got the ST from were all professional and laidback, granted our family's bought a few cars from the same person - we've always been given the best price. The ST I bought for 26,300 last year which was about 3.5k off what they were advertising for - salesman even told us to go and try get the other dealers to match it, even gave copies of his card so that they could verify it. There's a reason why we keep going back to the same guy!

At the end of the day, I know what I want and I've researched about it. If I don't like the person or what they're offering. I'll walk. No mindgames, no runarounds.
Old 04-11-2015, 01:51 PM   #58
something wrong
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thumbs up Re: How to avoid salespeople games and nonsense when buying a new car

Quote:
Originally Posted by NX74205 View Post
I'm in discussions with one for a potential purchase at the moment, and the guy I'm dealing with is fantastic
He's also been very patient while I'm busy organising my finances. If I'm to buy a car, it'd be from him.
I have bought a few new cars over the years and also worked in a dealership (Parts) for 8 years (10yrs ago now)

I just bought a Nissan Pathfinder from my local dealer and we did the usual to and fro until a price was agreed and deal done (about 2 weeks in total).

Salesman was great and the only thing we didn't like was the finance side which we politely declined and ended that conversation early, i also warned the wife about the paint & protection girl, to which after a laugh with the salesman and telling him i have a detailer, He told her not to come in, which my wife was appreciative of as she felt embarrassed the the girl.

When buying my Ranger my local ford guy is fantastic, my work has had me back and forth with contract changes, role changes ect and twice i have almost signed to only have HR come back and say hang on.
I feel like sending him a carton of beer for his trouble but fingers crossed Monday he will finally get my deposit.

I think if your up front with the sale person and tell them i just want to buy car, make a descent offer, be polite then the deal will be done, i also shop around and look online prior to sitting down and doing the deal so i know my options, accessories and ballpark $$.

Thanks to the guys who put up there Ranger deals in the Ranger section
something wrong is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-11-2015, 02:01 PM   #59
MDS69
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
So I'm looking to buy a used Territory and found one in a local dealership (not Ford).

No prices on the cars and I had to sit down with the fool for 20 minutes while he listed all the "benefits of buying from a dealer" on paper for me, in alternating colours of pen then highlighting them.
I then asked how much the car is and he "went to talk to his boss" for 10 minutes. He only came back when I pretended to be on the phone and started walking out the door.

He came back with "Around high 20's". I asked specifically what price and he said "28/29ish". I offered 22.

He goes off to "have a chat with the boss" and they're sitting there for 10 minutes so I walked out. This was Thursday last week.

I don't know what state you are in but in NSW I thought it was illegal to sell a used vehicle in a car yard with no form hanging from the sun visor. This form listed vehicle details an price. I think they use to be called a form 4. That is why you would see vehicles on the lot occasionally with a sign "this vehicle is not for sale"
MDS69 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-11-2015, 02:12 PM   #60
Express
Bathed In A Yellow Glow

I find the majority of car salespeople to be reasonable, of cause there are good and bad and I treat them accordingly.

They want you to buy so they’re not looking to go war with you, so if you treat them with respect most will return the favour.

They know their business and therefore it's smart on your part for you to be well researched before you front up as well and these days with the internet at your fingertips that is easy done.

It makes it much easier if you can discuss and negotiate with them on a reasonably common plane and understand they are there to sell and they will use techniques to do that, live with it and use it to your advantage to find out what little extras they may be willing to offer as an inducement.

If they are a bad salesperson then just get up and walk away, if everyone does that they won’t last long in the industry.
Express is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post: