Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

View Poll Results: TAFE or UNI
TAFE 38 31.15%
UNI 56 45.90%
BOTH 17 13.93%
NEITHER 11 9.02%
Voters: 122. You may not vote on this poll

Old 17-11-2005, 05:00 PM   #31
Steve D
Irregular Member

Year 12 as Swinburne TAFE (didn't count that in the poll), engineering at Swinburne Institute of Technology. Between completing the course and graduation, they got University status, so my piece of paper says University. _2:
Steve D is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-11-2005, 05:03 PM   #32
parawolf
beep beep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal
I second that..im still at uni, its ok but ive been in the automotive industry on an internship of sorts for nearly 12 months and uni means jack once your in.

Its like w.a.n.k.e.r.s that go on about TER score when they are already in uni...get over it..lol

spot on. Your enter score is a foot in the door to uni/tafe, your certificate is a foot in the door for a career.

It is not like you cannot get a career without a uni/tafe certificate, just need to find a different door.
Old 17-11-2005, 05:04 PM   #33
bob^
LPS

Uni tends to wrap you in cotton wool when it comes to practical skills. I did one and a hafl years of Mechatronics Engineering at uni and didn't learn much.
Doing an Advance Diploma in Electronic Engineering at TAFE now, and they really do throw you right into the practical stuff.
bob^ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-11-2005, 05:05 PM   #34
Pilch
X-Series Club Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul7v7
TAFE will teach you something that no one recognises professionally
UNI will charge you a house mortgage and teach you nothing that everyone recognises
to some extent I have to agree. I have a business degree. In the end it's experience that gets you the job, but without qualifications, you won't even get looked at.....
Pilch is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-11-2005, 05:57 PM   #35
Dave_au
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by parawolf
Teritary qualifications are a foot in the door, nothing more.
Not if your a chartered accountant, lawyer, engineer, merchant banker, doctor or actuary.

Missed my point. When I said money, I meant - a job with money - eg Merchant Banker, corporate finance, Accountant, Lawyer.

Last edited by Dave_au; 17-11-2005 at 06:04 PM.
Dave_au is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-11-2005, 06:56 PM   #36
Thunder
I.B.S is a pain in d'***

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_au
Not if your a chartered accountant, lawyer, engineer, merchant banker, doctor or actuary.

Missed my point. When I said money, I meant - a job with money - eg Merchant Banker, corporate finance, Accountant, Lawyer.

What......i know a lot of plumbers, mechanics and builders who earn more money than merchant bankers, accountants and lawyers.
Old 17-11-2005, 07:01 PM   #37
EFFalcon
Last warning

Quote:
experience + best education? Best education in what though? How much of that engineering degree (as an example, not directed at you) would prepare you for managing a team of say 15, plus balance an expenses budget of a few million and handle business/customer relations.

I can tell you my engineering degree prepared me for none of that. It has exactly zero bearing on my current place of employment.

I got to where I am by working hard, and proving myself in a tight situation time and time again. Rewards are there for the taking.
thats why i said experience.
uni isnt going to prepare you for the real world, experience does that.
uni how ever does give you the formal qualification that is generally favoured in higher positions.
as i said, its not until 10 years down the track that you see the main benefits when one person has 10 years experience and a uni degree, and the other person has 13 years expereience and no degree, ultimately the one with the degree is the more attractive option (on paper anyway)
DAILY - BA Fairlane Ghia, Boss 260 Turbo
OFFROADER - Ford Explorer
EFFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-11-2005, 07:16 PM   #38
SSBUB
SSuper SSpy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunder
What......i know a lot of plumbers, mechanics and builders who earn more money than merchant bankers, accountants and lawyers.
i dont know of any plumbers that earn as well as a lawyer....you have to weigh up job quality aswell
labouring jobs in trades can get you on equal terms, but sometimes have little room for growth, and before you know it, your 50 bordering on retirement and have been on the same wage for decades and your backs shot
If your in the corperate world you have the chance to climb the ladder and get a cushy desk job - no back complaints

Im not saying this is the norm, but i believe this to be true a lot of the time
SSBUB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-11-2005, 07:29 PM   #39
Teki04
Clio 182 CUP!

Im currently doing a Bachelor of Property Economics. A few things i have noticed:

- Uni gets you the job... I applied for a job that had 5 applicants already. They took me without considering the rest
- Uni gets you better jobs... Im qualified to be a Real Estate Agent like Tafe people, but they tend to STAY in Real Estate. We are RICs accredited, and hence can move around the globe and move into Property Development, Apprasials and Feasibility studies.... Jobs consist of Macquarie Goodman, Multiplex, and other banks as well.. Just to name a few.
- Most people are given jobs/recommened in their second year.

Im sorry, but for those who say that Uni isn't hard. I ask, HAVE YOU DONE IT? Sure, it might be laid back (i only go 3 times a week) but it sure as hell is NOT easy. This year, ive learnt far more then my friends doing Real Estate Diplomas at TAFE.

'In fact, so good is the Clio 182 with the Cup chassis set-up that I feel moved to make a bold statement - I think it's the best hot hatch ever built.' (EVO Jan 04)
Teki04 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-11-2005, 07:48 PM   #40
Thunder
I.B.S is a pain in d'***

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSBUB
i dont know of any plumbers that earn as well as a lawyer.........................
Believe me, spend some time in Sydney and you WILL see tradesmen who run their own business with salaries like lawyers.

Im sure other people on this forum will agree? Right?
Old 17-11-2005, 07:52 PM   #41
Smoked
Burnin Rubber

Im about to enter my fourth year of civil engineering. I applied for a part time job with a local surveying company and initially i got hired to just to little things like enter info into spreadsheets and verify forms were completed. Now they have got me doing work in the field setting up and recording levels and and angles. All becasue i did a uni subject on surveying.

Oh, and i got a pay rise of $10 an hour too
***Coming Soon: Clear Side Repeaters***
Quote:
Originally Posted by The-ShowStoPPa
...dont get me wrong this 3.8v6 is pretty special, it does come with the popular shake rattle and roll option and the auto compliments this with the ever popular snap crackle and pop feature
Smoked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-11-2005, 07:54 PM   #42
Deadman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teki04
Im sorry, but for those who say that Uni isn't hard. I ask, HAVE YOU DONE IT? Sure, it might be laid back (i only go 3 times a week) but it sure as hell is NOT easy. This year, ive learnt far more then my friends doing Real Estate Diplomas at TAFE.
Um... Sure...

I've done 2 degrees at Uni:

Bachelor of Creative Industries / Bachelor of Education (Secondary)

Bachelor of Information Technology

I've got mates who have done Diplomas of IT - and believe me - it S**ts on the Uni degree. It looks SO MUCH harder than Uni. I finished those Uni degrees without even studying - I missed classes, didn't turn up to lectures and still passed ;)

I wouldn't pass the TAFE course - I'm certain. Hats off to those TAFE students because they work a lot harder than some people recognise.

If you ask me (and Teki this is not oreintated at you) there are to many prissy Uni students who don't know S**t all. The degree gets you the first job - from then on, it's how good you actually are and how dedicated you work, that gets you a career. You can't fall back on the piece of paper forever.

: Finished

P.S. - my brother in law works in the UK earning nearl $1 mil AU a year, and dropped out of school in grade 10 to work at a CD store - now works for a International CD company in the UK ;) I myself have got a job which I love, and actually has nothing to do with either degree I did at uni - I got it through hard work in my casual job I did while I was studying and actually got it ahead of people who applied who had done relevant uni degrees :thebirds:

I am not bagging Uni or TAFE - they are great. But I hate people assuming that if you haven't done them, that you won't get a good or satisfying job (or that Uni is so superior to TAFE).

Quote:
Believe me, spend some time in Sydney and you WILL see tradesmen who run their own business with salaries like lawyers.

Im sure other people on this forum will agree? Right?
Hell, only the average guys have salaries like lawyers. The really good ones make lawyer salaries look like a monthly bonus ;) There is a LOT of money in the Trade industry...

Last edited by Deadman; 17-11-2005 at 08:02 PM.
Deadman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-11-2005, 08:03 PM   #43
parawolf
beep beep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_au

Yes Lawyer, Merchant Banker, Corp Finance - why? historical reasons.

Accountant, Are you sure you don't need a TAFE dip? Not sure.

Engineer, now that is debatable. There are two kinds of engineers. Common Engineers and PEs (Professional Engineers). PEs definately require a degree, or two, plus masses of experience and extra training. These are the kind of people that sign off on designs and construction (as examples on my part only) for things that affect public or could be open to public liability. A Engineering Graduate is not a PE. Any other engineer could be by name only. My job title has Engineer in it, however I did Applied Science at uni. I've got a friend that did Comp Sci and Mechanical engineering (double) but he is a product development engineer - not exactly what he did at uni.

There are people at my work, that have not completed a degree (been in IT/Computing since... well... been in the same job for 20 years). They were Mathematics whiz's at high school and became 'human computers' in finance companies 20 years ago. Now 38 years old, they admin computers and do new project development. They have Engineer in their title to.

Engineer is a devalued title these days unfortunately. University engineering degrees should develop people towards PE's, not title Engineers. Engineering degrees with ENTERs of 50 or 60 are useless. The degree should be re-classified.
Old 17-11-2005, 08:11 PM   #44
Thunder
I.B.S is a pain in d'***

Quote:
.............................Engineer is a devalued title these days unfortunately..............................
I call myself an Engineer of Beauty (im a jeweller) and on the weekends
an Engineer of Exotic Selections (im also a cook) :
Old 17-11-2005, 08:15 PM   #45
Deadman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
an Engineer of Exotic Selections (im also a cook) :
I'm glad you clarified that as being a cook :
Deadman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-11-2005, 08:50 PM   #46
Thunder
I.B.S is a pain in d'***

Other qualifications of mine

Engineer of Desert Flora (a bad gardener)

Engineer of Colossial Politics (a bad boyfriend)

Fire and Hazzard Controlling Engineer (great at the BBQ)

:
Old 17-11-2005, 10:06 PM   #47
JD86
DELANY

yeh im a tafe student, studying to be an architectural draftsman, after i finish i plan on going to uni to become an architect..
Old 17-11-2005, 10:09 PM   #48
SSBUB
SSuper SSpy

There is one thing i didnt like about TAFE though when i was going....the amount of ridiculous courses they had...now granted 90% of them are effective and good...but there are some weird a** certificates you can get at TAFE and you have to question there value....i have heard you need to do a 6month tafe course now to be a lollipop man (Stop/Go dude)...dont know how true that is, but there are some weird ones at tafe.....yet all the weird people go to uni
SSBUB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-11-2005, 10:31 PM   #49
mcflux
Banned
Donating Member1

I've found that workplaces have been more experienced in keen students, or students with a bit of experience already under their belt. And when you already have experience, and you are keen to get a job, it gets easier to score work!

I got work experience last summer through this approach. I stated that I'd like to start as early as possible, rather than on the actual start date. This got me in, ahead of 4th year students (I was in 2nd year).

I'm back there again this year to work on various projects

But I wouldn't have gotten in without being at uni.

Monash sucks though, and I can't wait to be gone from that hole. They screw all the students around, we're just walking HECS and amenities fees to them.

-Dave-
mcflux is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-11-2005, 10:50 PM   #50
cogdoc
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Like my old man said when I was tossing up options after highschool " you can always put your piece of paper away and act dumb..." meaning ANY qualification is only a bonus....
Old 17-11-2005, 11:02 PM   #51
Dave_au
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Yep, and vise versa!
Old 17-11-2005, 11:45 PM   #52
Tornado
AKA MYTE8

You really don't have a choice as to where you go, UNI or TAFE.
It depends on what you want to do.

If I wanted to be a plumber I can't go to UNI to do that, or If I wanted to be a Doctor, then forget about TAFE. So what this thread is really about is carees not UNI or TAFE.

You choose your caree and then go to which ever one you need to go to for the training. Both institutions have there place and you can't realy say TAFE is beter then UNI or vice versa 'cause thay both offer different training courses, You can however compare one UNI with another or one TAFE with another. Back in my day for Electrical Engineering you would go to RMIT, Melbourne UNI for Law and Medicine, PIT for nursing or chiro studies.

Each UNI or TAFE has its strengths and both are good.
Tornado is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-11-2005, 01:04 AM   #53
HP Dude
Tickford Rules!

Quote:
Crap crap and utter crap.

You do not require University or TAFE skills to excell in society or have a career with money. It is just harder without.

Personally if three people presented to me as an employer, one with a University Degree, one with a TAFE diploma and one without either but with 2 years experience they would all get equal consideration. In fact the person with experience (depends on the experience, why they are moving on, many many factors) would be the person i'd be hardest on in the interview stage - but for the right reasons that they should be better at the job.

Teritary qualifications are a foot in the door, nothing more.
Yes, in certain occupations, but in my case, I can't practice as a lawyer until I finish my law degree! You're referring to 'generalist' uni degrees. There are also vocational university degrees that provide the minimum qualification required to work or practice a particular profession.

It all depends what you want, IMO. I personally would not bother with university unless you're studying to be a lawyer, doctor, teacher, engineer pharmacist, scientist etc.

1969 Ford Fairmont XW
1999 AU I Falcon XR6HP
1999 AU I Falcon XR8 (sold)
2007 Mitsubishi Evolution IX
2009 Lotus Elise S
HP Dude is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-11-2005, 01:19 AM   #54
HP Dude
Tickford Rules!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadman
Um... Sure...

I've done 2 degrees at Uni:

Bachelor of Creative Industries / Bachelor of Education (Secondary)

Bachelor of Information Technology

I've got mates who have done Diplomas of IT - and believe me - it S**ts on the Uni degree. It looks SO MUCH harder than Uni. I finished those Uni degrees without even studying - I missed classes, didn't turn up to lectures and still passed ;)

I wouldn't pass the TAFE course - I'm certain. Hats off to those TAFE students because they work a lot harder than some people recognise.

If you ask me (and Teki this is not oreintated at you) there are to many prissy Uni students who don't know S**t all. The degree gets you the first job - from then on, it's how good you actually are and how dedicated you work, that gets you a career. You can't fall back on the piece of paper forever.

: Finished

Fair enough, there are a lot of ****y uni courses out there that you could get through with minimal effort, however, as someone who is studying law, and who has friends studying medicine, I can tell you there are very, very few courses (TAFE or uni) as academically rigourous as law and med (save for the traditional sciences such as Chem, physics, and 'proper' engineering: they're bloody tough also).

Also, there are unis, and then there are unis. The scores for prestigious degrees at sandstone universities are very high because they're in demand, and they are academically tough to complete, however, it's easier to get into a law degree at Melbourne Uni, than to stay (in my experience). The drop out/non-completion rate is pretty high.

At the end of the day, you have to compare apples with apples and not all uni degrees and institutions are operating at the same level.

1969 Ford Fairmont XW
1999 AU I Falcon XR6HP
1999 AU I Falcon XR8 (sold)
2007 Mitsubishi Evolution IX
2009 Lotus Elise S
HP Dude is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-11-2005, 08:44 AM   #55
MrSparkle
An Old Boss™©
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tornado
You really don't have a choice as to where you go, UNI or TAFE.
It depends on what you want to do.

If I wanted to be a plumber I can't go to UNI to do that, or If I wanted to be a Doctor, then forget about TAFE. So what this thread is really about is carees not UNI or TAFE.

You choose your caree and then go to which ever one you need to go to for the training. Both institutions have there place and you can't realy say TAFE is beter then UNI or vice versa 'cause thay both offer different training courses, You can however compare one UNI with another or one TAFE with another. Back in my day for Electrical Engineering you would go to RMIT, Melbourne UNI for Law and Medicine, PIT for nursing or chiro studies.

Each UNI or TAFE has its strengths and both are good.
Spot on. There is no magic one-size-fits-all solution.

For me, well I started with a Bachelor of Science with a Physics major, and moved on to a Masters in Software Engineering. Trust me when I say that BOTH those qualifications were VERY VERY F$*@ING hard and the dropout rate was high. There were two distinct groups - those who were very smart and didn't have to work so hard, and everyone else who had to absolutely flog themselves to death to pass.

Nonetheless, those qualifications have done me well and I have absolutely no regrets in doing them rather than going to TAFE to do IT. None whatsoever.
Old 18-11-2005, 09:19 AM   #56
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I chose CIT (NSW equivalent of TAFE) because a)I didn't have a UAI, b)CIT is way cheaper and c)the workload is no where near as intensive. I'm doing a Diploma of Information Tech (Software Development).

3 guys at my work all have law degrees, 2 of which did it for the wrong reasons and now have no interest in practising law whatsoever. They only did it to make themselves look good. Sure they have qualifications but at the end of the day what job other than one in the field of law or having some relation to law is actually going to care too much about a law degree?

Its the same deal as private VS public schools. I had a debate with my mates which is better. Neither is better than the other except maybe one school does a subject another doesn't. How do they figure that one is better when you study for the same bloody Yr 12 test?

A lot of people say you will do better at uni than at TAFE but you take the training that is suited to your chosen career not for bragging rights.

At the end of the day you can only get what you put in be it uni or TAFE or other training.
MITCHAY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-11-2005, 11:07 AM   #57
parawolf
beep beep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HP Dude
Yes, in certain occupations, but in my case, I can't practice as a lawyer until I finish my law degree! You're referring to 'generalist' uni degrees. There are also vocational university degrees that provide the minimum qualification required to work or practice a particular profession.

It all depends what you want, IMO. I personally would not bother with university unless you're studying to be a lawyer, doctor, teacher, engineer pharmacist, scientist etc.
My degree was Electrical Engineering, but it was by the Faculty of Applied Science. Go figure. So because it isn't a B.Eng, does that mean i'm not allowed to call myself an engineer?

Should my employment title be "Senior Systems Scientist" instead?

Engineering qualifications in this country (and probably world wide) need to be far more formalised, qualified and substaintied for an engineering graduate to get a reasonable chance at life.

Those at high school that do "two maths, physics and chem" as year 12 subjects fall (most of the time) into engineering, only because it is what they understand, they don't pick science (applied or pure).

Personally the freedom to go to uni in the country has devalued the marketability of a university degree. I don't mean charge for a degree, but I mean raise the bar, I don't want someone that got into uni on an ENTER of 55 "engineering" (stress loading, wind sway, natural harmonics, etc) a public road bridge or a multi-story building in a hurry.

However universities are most to blame with all this. They started taking in bulk money and started to be run as a business rather than a public education facility. Personally I think the image of TAFE should be brushed up and made more appealing and university should scale up the level of requirements - but also the level of outputs.

Arts students should go to TAFE... :Up_to_som
Old 18-11-2005, 11:13 AM   #58
Thunder
I.B.S is a pain in d'***

Quote:
.....................................Arts students should go to TAFE... :Up_to_som
I can think of somewhere else arts students can go...........
Old 18-11-2005, 12:24 PM   #59
Dave_au
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
My degree was Electrical Engineering, but it was by the Faculty of Applied Science. Go figure. So because it isn't a B.Eng, does that mean i'm not allowed to call myself an engineer?

Should my employment title be "Senior Systems Scientist" instead?
Thats not the point at all - you can finish uni with a degree in accounting, you still can't go around calling yourself an accountant however - likewise with law.

It all depends about what you do with that degree in business, and how you apply your degree to your job.
Old 18-11-2005, 12:29 PM   #60
parawolf
beep beep

true true... but if someone without a degree of any technical nature can call themselves an engineer (or get called that by the business) why couldn't I with a technical nature background get called a lawyer or accountant with after relevant experience?

These qualification names are thrown around far too much.